As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pride and Prejudice and Goncharov [Movies]

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Wasn't there some other technovangelist dork who said we could make books more "immersive" by using AI to animate them

This weird recurring idea that "immersion" is the complete absence of imagination, that people are somehow more invested the less they have to bring to a work - it's the damnedest thing.

It's like this bone-deep disdain for creativity, for liminal spaces, for abstraction and metaphor and emotion. For things that make us human. It then takes this fundamental disconnection from humanity and assumes everyone wants it, that it's an innovation, that it's the inevitable future, an evolution, an improvement over dreaming beyond the confines of what we can directly see. Imprisonment masquerading as liberation.

Shit's fucked, man.

Like, it's more work to suspend my disbelief that the terrible cgi background is real than just imagine the rest of the room from the scenery on a stage.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    The Terminator show they did at Universal was much better, partially because they bothered to make it feel like there was a reason you were in the audience for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIoeMLwEIDM

I think there's room for an experience like this, but generally speaking it's a thrill ride more than it's a big art thing.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    Wasn't there some other technovangelist dork who said we could make books more "immersive" by using AI to animate them

This weird recurring idea that "immersion" is the complete absence of imagination, that people are somehow more invested the less they have to bring to a work - it's the damnedest thing.

It's like this bone-deep disdain for creativity, for liminal spaces, for abstraction and metaphor and emotion. For things that make us human. It then takes this fundamental disconnection from humanity and assumes everyone wants it, that it's an innovation, that it's the inevitable future, an evolution, an improvement over dreaming beyond the confines of what we can directly see. Imprisonment masquerading as liberation.

Shit's fucked, man.

Reminds me of the crypto bros talking about how most books could just be 7 paragraph blog posts or podcasts.

Grim.

A Farewell To Arms
    By Ernest Hemingway
    Ultra-Condensed by Samuel Stoddard

Frederic Henry
    I'm separated from my true love in World War I Italy.

Catherine Barkley
    Here I am. Let's hide in Switzerland, whoops, (dies).

Frederic Henry
    War has made me cynical.

THE END

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Shit's fucked, man.

Reminds me of the crypto bros talking about how most books could just be 7 paragraph blog posts or podcasts.

Grim.

To be fair I think part of this phenomenon (for both cases) is related to the fact that none of these people read books outside of the business/self-improvement zone.

Which uhh, well I'm sure there are some good ones out there, there's just also a lot that could probably have been a blog post and might legitimately be improved by the AI animation treatment.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    get this man his Nobel, stat

3cl1ps3 on
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    That is straaaaight out of Farenheit 451; Montag's wife and the population at large get immersed in television shows where they get to "play parts" along with the actors. This is extremely tiring.

Edit: Not the thread! The thread is not tiring. Torment Nexusing is tiring. I'm just all Nexused out. Running on Nexus fumes. Numes or whatever.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

Shit's fucked, man.

Grim.

To be fair I think part of this phenomenon (for both cases) is related to the fact that none of these people read books outside of the business/self-improvement zone.

Which uhh, well I'm sure there are some good ones out there, there's just also a lot that could probably have been a blog post and might legitimately be improved by the AI animation treatment.

One of those situations where correlation really is the result of causation.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I saw both The Prestige and The Illusionist in theaters, and while I'm like 99% sure they were on different days, my brain has condensed the timelines to where it was a double-feature

Man The Illusionist sucked

The other Illusionist that came out that year, on the other hand, I really liked.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I'm sure Martin Scorsese would be having a chuckle over this conversation.

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    The Terminator live show also had all of the movie staff working on it to make a good movie/theater experience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-5Hc0BcMyg

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    They show was my first experience with 3d. It was amazing. Also the Arnold actor grabbed my shoulder when he was running up the aisle to escape. Talk about immersive!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    My town’s local movie theater is shutting down.

They’re located inside (the basement and top floor) of the same building as our big performing arts center. The company that owns the performing arts center also owns the whole building so they’re the movie theater’s landlord. The performing arts center was recently the cause of a pretty big uproar in town when they booked Gavin McInnes and his proud boy bullshit troupe for a “comedy show”. We managed to get the show shut down and got the town to delay further development in town by the company by protesting at council meetings earlier this year.

But now it looks like they decided to jack up the movie theater’s rent astronomically as… I don’t know, retaliation? Who fucking knows. The owners of the movie theater are under the impression they basically decided they wanted them out so they could take over the entire building to do more live performance booking or maybe just do their own movie theater.

So now my ongoing boycott of the PAC is going to have to extend to whatever the fuck replaces our god damn movie theater.

So everything goes to shit, is what I’m getting at.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    You know what’s one thing we can all agree on?

Green Room is a fucking good, TENSE ASS, movie

dpzibvbkewjn.png

My friend loved it, best movie about kids owning Nazis since SLC Punk.

wVEsyIc.png
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Watching Triangle of Sadness

When this movie's being spectacle, it's fucking incredible and I'm loving it. I have laughed so hard I've cried. I've marveled at astonishing practical effects. There are some amazing performances. There's is filmmaking on display that is impeccable and incredible, on a technical level.

When it tries to have a point or deliver a message, it is insufferable

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I'm very grateful for Triangle of Sadness introducing me to Dolly De Leon, she's fantastic

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Movie night with the kids again so I decided to introduce them to another 90's classic: Tremors. Perfection in Perfection (Population: 14). No notes.

Both kids loved it and my daughter hasn't asked if she can sleep in our bed tonight yet, so going to call that a win. My son immediately watched the trailers for all six sequels (there are 7 Tremors movies?! what?) and wants to watch all of them. I distracted him a little bit by showing some trailers for different disaster movies that were recommended by the algorithm for folks who'd watched Tremors and I think I may have awakened something in him. He wanted to watch everything, starting with Independence Day. And, you know, that seems like a fine choice for a 90's movie night next week.

Ketar on
  • LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    I’m still bummed that tv show with Kevin Bacon never happened.

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Watching Triangle of Sadness

When this movie's being spectacle, it's fucking incredible and I'm loving it. I have laughed so hard I've cried. I've marveled at astonishing practical effects. There are some amazing performances. There's is filmmaking on display that is impeccable and incredible, on a technical level.

When it tries to have a point or deliver a message, it is insufferable

Alright, wrapped up.

I think I would've preferred for the movie to be either:

a) interested in the inner life of even one human being anywhere on screen, or

b) shorter, in which case I could forgive that everything was broad and cynical and would prioritize shocks/laughs/twists over character

As was, it felt like a decently fun movie that smashed headlong into being an insufferable stage play.

Every single actor did great work, the craft on display was stellar, but it left me REALLY cold

Poorochondriac on
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

dpzibvbkewjn.png

I still want to remake Green Room where the punks just go fucking feral instead of demanding to call the cops they just straight up murder all the Nazi's.
    Even that Joe Lo Truglio looking one who is contrite that his love for racism has caused all this murder.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Jokerman wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

dpzibvbkewjn.png

I still want to remake Green Room where the punks just go fucking feral instead of demanding to call the cops they just straight up murder all the Nazi's.
    Even that Joe Lo Truglio looking one who is contrite that his love for racism has caused all this murder.

I had to google immediately to see if that actually was Jo LoTruglio the first time I watched it.

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    I'm about to attempt to cure my hangover by watching Eight Legged Freaks and then Wishmaster. I fully expect it to work, but fingers crossed, please.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »
    I'm about to attempt to cure my hangover by watching Eight Legged Freaks and then Wishmaster. I fully expect it to work, but fingers crossed, please.

Oh my god I love Eight Legged Freaks

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Wishmaster rules

he's so fucking smug

"haven't you ever wanted to just... escape?"

and then he makes a guy drown in one of those straightjacket water tank magic tricks.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Wishmaster rules

he's so fucking smug

and then he makes a guy drown in one of those straightjacket water tank magic tricks.

Wishmaster's key is that few actors have the absolute raw charisma of Andrew Divoff.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Wishmaster rules

he's so fucking smug

I confused this with Pagemaster which is...a very different movie I believe...

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Man Pagemaster would be a way different movie if it started with a skeleton liberating itself from it’s fleshy prison

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    We ended up not watching Wishmaster since the bluray is upstairs in a box somewhere, and instead streamed an Argentinian movie called Pussycake, about a rock band that has to fight interdimensional brain slugs that turn people into vomit zombies.

It's not bad, but it's also not good. It did help with the hangover though.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    Man Pagemaster would be a way different movie if it started with a skeleton liberating itself from it’s fleshy prison

What is Christopher Lloyd if not a skeleton attempting to liberate itself from its fleshy prison?

edited February 2023
    Hey everyone please look at this movie I just found out about

Poster has covered boobs
    64Ub1J9.png

Ms Dapper on
    2ohWien.png
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    THE ONLY WEAPONS SHE HAS!

Quire.jpg
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    Hey everyone please look at this movie I just found out about

Poster has covered boobs
    64Ub1J9.png

There was a sequel even

Spoiled for similar reasons
    3i35wlla1zis.png

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    I'm sure it's just a perspective thing but the way the tape measure covers her arms make her forearms/hands look like they don't connect to her body right at all

Houk the Namebringer on
    listen when you're making 70 minute nudie movies you're only getting the best artists for your posters

Also this movie is currently on the Criterion Channel

2ohWien.png
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    I have all of the Doris Wishman boxsets released by Vinegar Syndrome, including one with both of those films, and I still haven't started any of them yet because I fear the results

I was less surprised by this than by the synopsis

Sweeney Tom on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting the film to have an R rating.

I was less surprised by this than by the synopsis

They did put Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls in the collection. One of of the masterpieces of sexplotation.

2ohWien.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I'm starting to suspect that Chesty Morgan isn't even her real name.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I'm starting to suspect that Chesty Morgan isn't even her real name.

It’s true. Her real name is Tits McGee

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    bet those boobs are pretty cool, tho

pretty cool

This discussion has been closed.