As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Owlcat][Pathfinder][Rogue Trader] is out now!

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    So, I've dipped my toes back into this a tiny bit. I have a lot of hours played, but they're all: 1) from the Beta before release, and 2) from me leaving my compute on overnight, so my progress through the game is deceptively small.

I spoiled myself just a tiny bit on a potential romance option, mid-Act 3 ...
    Aru

... because there was a dialog line that popped up during an interlude which, in, uh, like a Bioware game, would've been the Unlock Romance dialog option.
    You get an option early on to just be, like, "Hey, how about I take you to bed and show you what a real man I am?"

I was so glad to read that Owlcat actually made that the "This ends the romance, you creep" option.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Shifter and Druid still not having any werewolf/werebeast shape/form bugs the crap out of me.

Really makes me appreciate how Obsidian did druid in both Pillars more.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I have been continuing to suffer through my playthrough of the game on PS5 on Unfair.

This has been some royal shit at some points, but I at least got the trophies. Turns out I got locked out of getting into the secret area in Drezen to open the gate because one of the keys got destroyed - something I wasn't even aware could happen when leaving an area. Then after breaking the game, the game wouldn't let me past the battering ram thing and so I had the entire end part of Act II bricked then and there. Thankfully a very creative use of mass dimension door and I triggered the cutscene to progress, but that almost made me very salty.

FWIW, it looks like the issues with keys was fixed yesterday in patch 2.0.7k according to Steam. Not sure if that patch has made it to PS5, though.

htm on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    So, I've dipped my toes back into this a tiny bit. I have a lot of hours played, but they're all: 1) from the Beta before release, and 2) from me leaving my compute on overnight, so my progress through the game is deceptively small.

I spoiled myself just a tiny bit on a potential romance option, mid-Act 3 ...
    Aru

... because there was a dialog line that popped up during an interlude which, in, uh, like a Bioware game, would've been the Unlock Romance dialog option.
    You get an option early on to just be, like, "Hey, how about I take you to bed and show you what a real man I am?"

I was so glad to read that Owlcat actually made that the "This ends the romance, you creep" option.

It's funny because this game showcases some comically unhealthy relationships and explores the dire consequences of them, one directly relevant to the plot, while nearly every single person you recruit is some degree of tormented, and if you're lucky they'll at least make it obvious.

Yet the character in that spoiler is also both adorable and interestingly written, and even on Team Wenduag I will fight and die to make sure they get a happy ending. The interlude in Act 3 where
    she has very first dream, and it's a featureless void because she doesn't know what dreams are but she's just thrilled to have one at all
    is one of the most heart-meltingly innocent things I've seen in these kinds of games.

Yes I am already planning out a second playthrough of this giant-ass RPG just for them, and no force on earth can stop me.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    htm wrote: »
    I have been continuing to suffer through my playthrough of the game on PS5 on Unfair.

This has been some royal shit at some points, but I at least got the trophies. Turns out I got locked out of getting into the secret area in Drezen to open the gate because one of the keys got destroyed - something I wasn't even aware could happen when leaving an area. Then after breaking the game, the game wouldn't let me past the battering ram thing and so I had the entire end part of Act II bricked then and there. Thankfully a very creative use of mass dimension door and I triggered the cutscene to progress, but that almost made me very salty.

FWIW, it looks like the issues with keys was fixed yesterday in patch 2.0.7k according to Steam. Not sure if that patch has made it to PS5, though.

They haven't patched it in console but I never realized how dangerous that destroy unclaimed loot option actually was.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Looking forward to seeing what kind of power armor you can equip. As long as you keep the helmet on and never take it off, that shit looks soooo good.

*new Rogue Trader dev diary*

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Learned Camellia's big secret, and boy that sure was an experience. Anyway, she will not be joining us for Blackwater. (Act 3 reveal spoilers)
    Or for anything, ever again. If anybody asks, she went to a crusade upstate.

This is a bit of a reach, but for those who remember Frisky Dingo, you know that scene where Nearl, Xander's twin brother, has a Flowers for Algernon moment and goes on about his tragic backstory? It builds to a rant about the need to destroy Xander, only for Ronnie, one of the Xtacles, to shoot Nearl in the head. Ronnie then justifies the action by saying "this is complicated enough without all this evil twin bullshit."

Yeah that's kinda my reaction. Even if she's telling the truth, and I strongly suspect that it's just cover for her unquenchable murderlust, we're a bit full on walking HR liabilities at the moment. This was a rare opportunity to head an obvious catastrophe off at the pass, and the only regret is it took this long.

It is darkly amusing that she wasn't responsible for the heads, though. That, of course, is gonna be its own problem to unpack, and I suspect the stabbin' knife won't be as useful there. Keeping it close though, juuuust in case.

Speaking of Blackwater, that dungeon was designed by an actual sadist. Electrical damage to finish off enemies is one thing, but those big fellas backed by the succubi are just mean. It's doable if we take it slow - Woljif and greater invisibility makes him a backstab machine - but this one's gonna make me work for it.

Stolls on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Stolls wrote: »
    Learned Camellia's big secret, and boy that sure was an experience. Anyway, she will not be joining us for Blackwater. (Act 3 reveal spoilers)

This is a bit of a reach, but for those who remember Frisky Dingo, you know that scene where Nearl, Xander's twin brother, has a Flowers for Algernon moment and goes on about his tragic backstory? It builds to a rant about the need to destroy Xander, only for Ronnie, one of the Xtacles, to shoot Nearl in the head. Ronnie then justifies the action by saying "this is complicated enough without all this evil twin bullshit."

Yeah that's kinda my reaction. Even if she's telling the truth, and I strongly suspect that it's just cover for her unquenchable murderlust, we're a bit full on walking HR liabilities at the moment. This was a rare opportunity to head an obvious catastrophe off at the pass, and the only regret is it took this long.

It is darkly amusing that she wasn't responsible for the heads, though. That, of course, is gonna be its own problem to unpack, and I suspect the stabbin' knife won't be as useful there. Keeping it close though, juuuust in case.

Speaking of Blackwater, that dungeon was designed by an actual sadist. Electrical damage to finish off enemies is one thing, but those big fellas backed by the succubi are just mean. It's doable if we take it slow - Woljif and greater invisibility makes him a backstab machine - but this one's gonna make me work for it.

Believe it or not, Blackwater used to be worse. At launch, all those enemies were immune to electrical damage, though it still canceled their regen. So have fun wasting spells/damage to not do any actual damage but just make those things killable!

• Options

Worse than a sadist, a Kickstarter whale.

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular

It was a streamer. CohhCarnage. It sounds like he only provided the concept of the dungeon. The balancing was pure Owlcat.

• Options

Whoof, that explains a lot, especially if it used to be worse. The sad thing is it's a really cool concept for a dungeon. It conveys a lot about its more science-fictioney setting just through background details, and hits that rare space where the player is likely to grasp what they're looking at before the characters do. It's fantasy dragged out of its usual context, and that's like catnip to me.

Then the aforementioned combo shows up, gives itself haste, and starts swinging for the tender bits. Hard.

There will be a quantity of cheese employed to smooth things out just a wee bit.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    That dungeon is really bad. I know some people like the theme, but it's suited to a setting like Eberron or something rather than this. It's so incongruent with the rest of the game in tone and theme it's just silly. The worst thing about it by miles are the enemies, with the daemons there that have spiked AC up to around 44 (52 on unfair). Given that it can be one of the first places you can visit because the trigger for it occurring in the war room is almost immediate and then combine this with locking you in so you cannot leave, then putting a ridiculously high UMD check to exit and it's just beyond offensive IMO. It's pretty much hot garbage and is a huge difficulty spike, which again, locks you in there.

Additionally the final battle is hilariously badly balanced. As long as you can use dimension door it's a trivial one round affair.

Just badly designed and thought out entirely.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular

In Act 3? No, you didn't.
    No seriously huge spoiler for Camellia
    It's not until act 5 that you learn the truth, that there is no spirit, she's lieing to you, she's actually a serial killer purely for the murderlust. Your suspicious were correct

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    At least I finally got the Blight of Drezen Trophy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQMwOr5ZGmI

I killed him so many times on core without getting the trophy due to a bug, so killing him on unfair AND getting the trophy felt so good. He's surprisingly not that difficult.

• Options
    CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    Are there any mods to let me ready an attack on the next enemy to get in range as a standard action? I basically want to put my adventurers into XCOM overwatch.

steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Corsini wrote: »
    Are there any mods to let me ready an attack on the next enemy to get in range as a standard action? I basically want to put my adventurers into XCOM overwatch.
    You mean like attacks of opportunity but for enemies closing in rather than trying to leave? Snap shot kind of works like that. Any thing that enters threat range automatically gets shot as an AOO. Only for bow users though.

Also longbow users are obsecenely overpowered in WOTR. My god.

Wendaug had basically developed her own mythic path to demigodhood by endgame.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Corsini wrote: »

No sadly. They have an unfortunately compromised implementation of turn based combat.

• Options
    Yeah, there's no ready action in any of the Pathfinder games, unfortunately.

• Options
    Y'know, I wonder why this game keeps giving me the option to just randomly murder people. Surely my Neutral Good rogue with a heart of gold that's slightly in over his head won't find much use for this. I mean, there was that thing mentioned upthread, but that was just one time. Ember's convinced me, we're gonna do this right. We're gonna go through Act 4 and give these people a chance.

Several hours later, after the Fleshmarkets

So anyways I started blasting...

• Options
    A huge WotR patch just went beta on Steam. So big it has double patch notes:
    Update 2.1.0j BETA Part I
    Update 2.1.0j BETA part II

• Options
    i3kqp2vp2lay.jpg

Dear gods did doing unfair on PS5 nearly kill me.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    My first TTRPG experience tommorow. Will be online with Foundry with a 2e converted Carrion Crown AP.

Wish me luck. Been too nervous and embarrassed at the idea of trying to roleplay or understand all the rules and math to try actually playing a TTRPG until now.

Ever since first playing Kingmaker though I've been so drawn to the idea of it. Theres so much out there and the idea that my adventures on Golarion didn't have to end with the video games was too tantalizing to give up on.

That and some of the best things in life are just shit you got to push through the fear and just do it. Once you're on the other side of it, you forget why you were scared in the first place.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    My first TTRPG experience tommorow. Will be online with Foundry with a 2e converted Carrion Crown AP.

Wish me luck. Been too nervous and embarrassed at the idea of trying to roleplay or understand all the rules and math to try actually playing a TTRPG until now.

Ever since first playing Kingmaker though I've been so drawn to the idea of it. Theres so much out there and the idea that my adventures on Golarion didn't have to end with the video games was too tantalizing to give up on.

That and some of the best things in life are just shit you got to push through the fear and just do it. Once you're on the other side of it, you forget why you were scared in the first place.

You got this. What character are you playing?

We have RPG threads in Critical Failures and SE++ if you feel like sharing your adventures.

• Options
    edited February 2023

You got this. What character are you playing?
    Playing a chaotic neutral aging goblin (bomber) alchemist, sort of a riff on those old mad scientists like Dr. Frankenstein to be in the spirit of Ustalav's old Universal monster movie feel.

Gonna give him a lil alchemical familiar named Igor.

Some Midjourney generated art of them:
    Vermin the alchemist

e7b9ymA.png

Igor the familiar (still undecided about which version I'll use)

ZNB7AGk.png
    We have RPG threads in Critical Failures and SE++ if you feel like sharing your adventures.
    Nice. Can't believe I missed that we had a whole part of the forum dedicated to it but then I mostly just have debate and G&T bookmarked all this time.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Playing a TTRPG is a pretty amazing experience because you have none of the shackles that even a reasonably open game like Wrath or Kingmaker place. CRPGs simply have a finite number of possible outcomes that they can choose, so you often find yourself in a situation where you are forced to make a compromise. Not because other interested parties aren't on board, but because you have thought of something the game didn't.

That said, do try and cut your GM some slack, because swerving the story due to a player finding a loophole you missed can be tough.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Also 2e is sooo much better than 1e. So like. If you can half grok kingmaker/wrath you will have no problem with 2e

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Best of luck with Carrion Crown. I don't know how the 2e adaptation changes things, but we found the 1e version pretty brutal.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    The problem with published pathfinder 1e modules is that everything kind of has to be absurd because a good chunk of the player base is all in for abusing mechanics. And especially the majority of people who stuck with it over moving to 2e or 5e. And pathfinder 1e was already the worst impulses of 3.5 magnified.

The power differential between an optimized build and a non-optimized build is probably 2-3 times.

So if you’re like just kind of playing a single class and not thinking about buff stacking. You just get wrecked.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    The problem with published pathfinder 1e modules is that everything kind of has to be absurd because a good chunk of the player base is all in for abusing mechanics. And especially the majority of people who stuck with it over moving to 2e or 5e. And pathfinder 1e was already the worst impulses of 3.5 magnified.

The power differential between an optimized build and a non-optimized build is probably 2-3 times.

So if you’re like just kind of playing a single class and not thinking about buff stacking. You just get wrecked.

there were plenty of very good archetypes in 1e that did not need class-dipping, and often didn't really want to

there were, also, many really bad trap archetypes and feats

• Options
    The combat in Solasta is so good.

I need Owlcat to steal all of this for the next Pathfinder game. Except, you know, 2e rules version of it.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

I need Owlcat to steal all of this for the next Pathfinder game. Except, you know, 2e rules version of it.

Solasta is pretty good!

Apparently they went Full XCOM for Rogue Trader, though, which I find totally acceptable.

• Options

Solasta is pretty good!

Apparently they went Full XCOM for Rogue Trader, though, which I find totally acceptable.

Rogue Trader is shaping up very well for them. They have a much more grey view of writing that suits 40k far better than it often comes off in Path of the Righteous.

• Options
    edited March 2023

Solasta is pretty good!

Rogue Trader is shaping up very well for them. They have a much more grey view of writing that suits 40k far better than it often comes off in Path of the Righteous.
    Their morally gray or evil characters are so much better than the others. They're fantastic.

Seelah and Sosiel are just so damn corny.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Funny, I tend to think Owlcat's "grey" tends to be atrocious.

Kingmaker especially made me eyeroll so hard I had to pick up my eyes from the floor after they fell off on multiple occasions.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

It's been interesting playing Solasta and WotR side-by-side, the former with a co-op buddy; they're both tabletop adaptations of a sort, but the differences are pretty stark. If you could somehow bash the two together - the latter's presentation and narrative aspects with the former's tactical depth and combat balance (and of course brevity) - you'd have pretty close to what I'd consider ideal.

Solasta in particular gets points for its verticality, setting up large battlefields with variable-height terrain and multiple ways to get around. More than once I've finished off a flying or wall-walking enemy just by sniping them so they lost concentration and fell. It's also super nice to just click on a spot and be confident the AI can get there 99% of the time.

There's room in my heart and library for both, but I do hope future games in that space take specific notes from each.

Stolls on
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    I know this is kind of sacrilgeous but I just think RTWP was a mistake for CRPGs.

Battles in the Baldur, Pillars and Pathfinder games just tend to feel like giant clusterfucks and a lot of nuance of the core rules and classes feels like it gets lost in the mix aswell as kind of encourages throwing in lots of mindless trash mobs.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options

Solasta is pretty good!

Their morally gray or evil characters are so much better than the others. They're fantastic.

Seelah and Sosiel are just so damn corny.

Seelah rocks, what are you talking about ...

• Options
    edited March 2023
    I know this is kind of sacrilgeous but I just think RTWP was a mistake for CRPGs.

Battles in the Baldur, Pillars and Pathfinder games just tend to feel like giant clusterfucks and a lot of nuance of the core rules and classes feels like it gets lost in the mix aswell as kind of encourages throwing in lots of mindless trash mobs.

Yeah, I'm coming around on this as well. I like that it's an option in WotR, but a lot can happen in a second, nevermind a whole round, when everyone's moving all at once. If the amount of fodder was about half where it is now I'd almost never switch out of turn-based.

Stolls on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    People play these in real time mode? First thing I do is set it to tabletop turn based or pause at the end of every round depending on the game options.

• Options
    Faction dev diary for Rogue Trader.

Does a nice job of reminding you up front that the Imperium is a shining beacon of humanity at it's worst fascist and tyrannical tendencies. Looking forward to the first chance I get ingame to fuck them over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gULQBFNgvdA