As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

post poutine for canadians to judge you with

I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boomRegistered User regular
Ah, poutine.

sauio0ea7y9x.png

Once the purview of Quebec alone, the rest of Canada eventually realized it was really weird to be racist about fries and gravy.

l5sc8twprrgn.png

Now there's all manner of poutine, all over the place. Even Disneyland serves it! But everyone has a different opinion on just what constitutes poutine.

zcov7vmrj7tb.png

Some purists think that poutine is only fries, cheese curds, and gravy. Some anarchists think it's a baked potato. Where do you stand?

liEt3nH.png

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I want to poutine in my mouth

I ate an engineer
  • sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    One poutine, please

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    I tried making poutine one time because I couldn't find anywhere around here what makes it and it didn't turn out good

But my cheese curds and gravy were both substandard and my fries were mediocre at best.

Looking it up it's mostly sports bars around here now that offer it but I am not exactly a sports or bar type of guy seeing as I don't watch much sports or drink all that much.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to being a judgy bitch

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    There is nowhere I can go to get poutine here and I am strongly considering a land based invasion of Canada to secure the poutine fields.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    I tried so hard in my year abroad to find decent poutine in the US to assuage my homesickness and it was just distressing every goddamn time

Sicken me, thread!! Horrify me!!! Show me your worst!!!!

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    what's the failure state of poutine? you'd think fries, gravy, and cheese would be pretty secure against ever being bad.

3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    what's the failure state of poutine? you'd think fries, gravy, and cheese would be pretty secure against ever being bad.

There's a process to it!

The order of operations should be:

Gravy
    Cheese curds
    Fries

If you're gonna get weird with it with like pulled pork or whatever, that goes on top of the base poutine, above the gravy

The ideal cheese curds should be under 24 hours old - if you hear a little squeak as you bite into them, then they're fresh and Correct

The US places would put cheese on top (wrong, the cheese doesn't get the melted exterior), use grated mozzarella (horrific), or one time I basically got fries that were congealed into a solid greyish brown mass stuck to the fries and it was generally upsetting

Steam
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Is this a prompt for one of those monster food hate click videos

Curd is a thoroughly unappetizing word and it’s a shame because curd in all varieties is good ass food

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    I had a poutine at Disney World that was Thanksgiving themed and it was delicious. Fries, turkey gravy, cheese, roast turkey chunks, dab of cranberry on top.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    ymqoodklj3fd.jpg

feel like pure shit just want her back

edited February 2023
    Now I want sweet potatoes, paneer, and curry sauce (gravy)

Captain Inertia on
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    I'm lacking for poutine offerings around here. There's a place, but it's downtown and parking there is always a nightmare.

Thankfully, there is a place near me that makes good fries and also has a bin of mushroom gravy behind the counter that they can fill a dipping bowl with. Now all they need is the cheese curds and I could just slap it all together for a reasonable facsimile of poutine.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I dont have the cash til Thursday but Ill make some of my super fast poutine and show it off

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    I have had poutine once. I was in Toronto for a convention in March of '19, and there was this awesome little bar called The Fox there in downtown, and I ordered myself some poutine, then my expat Canadian friend who was there as well came in, and I got HIM some poutine, and it was really good.

I want more poutine guys.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I've never had poutine.

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I've never had poutine.

This is a crying shame and a deficiency you should attempt to rectify immediately.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    There used to be a place here that went all out on poutine. It was great it looked great they had a bunch of options.

They closed to move to another location, never opened there, did a couple of pop ups and then disappeared forever.

Since then I’ve only seen it at crappy Grubhub ghost kitchens.

I actually tried to make my own recently because we had a couple extra jars of Whole Foods mushroom gravy that we didn’t use for thanksgiving. It would have turned out good except Whole Foods doesn’t sell any foods with flavor

initiatefailure on
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I've never had poutine.

The actual secret I learned through food service (easiest ways to ruin restaurants literally fulfill their orders) is parboiled/blanched w/e it is french fries that's it that's the secret get a thick beef gravy and fresh cheese curds and bam you've made it at home

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Now your probably missing the 8 year old hockey arena greese but that's neither here nor there

But also my fave poutine as a butter chicken poutine with paneer it's just butter chicken on fries but it is so good

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • 101101 Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    I went to Detroit on a business trip once.

The people I was visiting took me out to a restaurant and there was poutine in the menu.

Now at this point I had know idea what poutine was, but I'd heard of it and was keen to give it a go out of curiosity.

And I was incredibly tickled to find out it's cheesy chips n' gravy

101 on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I do not like gravy so poutine is not my favorite, but I'll fuckin murder loaded/nacho fries.

Fries with spiced beef, melted cheese, sour cream and fresh green onions... That's prime time.

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    There's a sports bar type place close to me in Seattle that does a riff on poutine as part of their brunch menu. Tots, curds, gravy, eggs (scrambled or over easy), you can add chorizo to it if you're really feeling the death wish that morning. It's only really poutine-adjacent, but it's tasty

There's also a hockey bar on the other side of town that's aggressively Canadian-themed (it's called the Angry Beaver). Roughly 25% of their food menu is devoted to poutine - I want to say they have six different types of gravy, but I haven't been up there since before the pandemic so I might be misremembering

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    We live in a post-poutine world.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    My favorite "wacky" poutine was the cube of Poutine you can get from Canadian chain Jack Astors

l.jpg

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I’ve had a few poutines in my life and they’ve ranged from extremely mediocre to good.

Never had a truly great poutine though.

shalmelo wrote: »
    There's a sports bar type place close to me in Seattle that does a riff on poutine as part of their brunch menu. Tots, curds, gravy, eggs (scrambled or over easy), you can add chorizo to it if you're really feeling the death wish that morning. It's only really poutine-adjacent, but it's tasty

There's also a hockey bar on the other side of town that's aggressively Canadian-themed (it's called the Angry Beaver). Roughly 25% of their food menu is devoted to poutine - I want to say they have six different types of gravy, but I haven't been up there since before the pandemic so I might be misremembering

My old uni did breakfast poutine which was homefries with curds and various meats under hollandaise sauce and it was both delicious and probably worth two full days of calorie intake

Steam
  • R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    I had poutine in Montreal when I visited in 2002. Poutine was amazing, and Montreal was super, super cool. HOWEVER! My Southwestern US born and raised ass, used to wide open freeways cutting through empty desert, could not handle the tiny roads and enormous traffic, so I decided to park the car at a public lot and depend on mass transit and cabs. Not wanting to lose my car, I ensured that I looked at the street sign, saying to myself "Okay, it's on Rue de Something."

Those of you who speak French stop laughing, you'll ruin the punchline.

Anyway, so after an amazing day of Montreal tourism, stuffed to the gills with the aforementioned poutine, I hopped in a cab and told the guy I needed a ride to the public parking lot on Rue de Something, to which he gave me a Quebecoise stare that resonates in my soul to this day, and said "Rue de means Street Of. There are hundreds."

Bless that cabbie, he spent a good solid with me pre-Google Maps hunting down the car, and we were eventually successful.

And this, my friends, is why now un peu de français !

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Poutine is excellent, we went to Vancouver for our Honeymoon and we probably averaged more than 1 order a day, never from the same place. Wish I could get some anywhere around me.

I'm also a big fan of the Carne Asada fries they do down in San Diego and SoCal. Bed of fries layered with guac, sour cream, carne asada, cotija, and salsa, basically a TJ street taco with fries instead of a tortilla. Most of the taco shops will let sub in their other proteins so if carnitas fries are your jam then have at it.

edited February 2023
    I’ve had a few poutines in my life and they’ve ranged from extremely mediocre to good.

I feel like Minnesota should invest some R&D into this as a way to threaten Iowa in the State Fair Wars

The butter sculpture and corn tower have resulted in an uneasy detente, I really feel like a good Minneflota mullet poutine is an achievable end game implement

Make Amy Klobuchar house one with one foot triumphantly perched on a barrel of corn cobs like it was one of her staffer’s necks

Captain Inertia on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

I feel like Minnesota should invest some R&D into this as a way to threaten Iowa in the State Fair Wars

The butter sculpture and corn tower have resulted in an uneasy detente, I really feel like a good Minneflota mullet poutine is an achievable end game implement

Make Amy Klobuchar house one with one foot triumphantly perched on a barrel of corn cobs like it was one of her staffer’s necks

Oh I’m 100% sure I CAN find excellent poutine here I just haven’t yet.

They don’t like spices here. I have a friend who complained the breakfast potatoes at the hotel were too spicy because they had black pepper on them.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »

i had dos poutines in Canada and both were really disgusting. the second one had good gravy and that's it.

both used frozen, old curds which is like why even bother

Magic Pink on
    It doesn’t need to be good, it just needs to outrun Iowa

I can get the best fucking curds here. I’m adjacent to Wisconsin. The Curd State.

I’m going to make my own poutine one of these days

I can get the best fucking curds here. I’m adjacent to Wisconsin. The Curd State.

every time we drive through wisconsin which is often i try and get fresh cheese curds and they are still a bitch and a half to find. in the 9 years we've been doing it i got fresh curds ONCE

also invite me for poutine when you make it or i'll burn this city to the ground

Magic Pink wrote: »

every time we drive through wisconsin which is often i try and get fresh cheese curds and they are still a bitch and a half to find. in the 9 years we've been doing it i got fresh curds ONCE

I try not to go into Wisconsin unless I absolutely have to…usually if I’m in Duluth I’ll swing over to Superior and grab some New Glarus but then I’m getting the hell out of there.

I’m shuddering just thinking about being in Wisconsin

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Let's do a coordinated Forum Poutine-Off.

Juggernut wrote: »
    Let's do a coordinated Forum Poutine-Off.

All of the French fries have to be shaped like dicks