As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Overwatch] Overwatch 2 is Live!

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    I'ma gonna have to call utter bullshit on them supposedly no longer tweaking SR/MMR gains/losses by performance metrics. I went 5-0 or 5-1 multiple times and it was like... best I can do is Gold 3 to Gold 2. Especially after they spent so much effort in OW1 insisting that was best for everybody and how they addressed smurfing and shit (pls ignore that time that we completely fucked up our metrics and tanked all support SR for a month).

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    I'ma gonna have to call utter bullshit on them supposedly no longer tweaking SR/MMR gains/losses by performance metrics. I went 5-0 or 5-1 multiple times and it was like... best I can do is Gold 3 to Gold 2. Especially after they spent so much effort in OW1 insisting that was best for everybody and how they addressed smurfing and shit (pls ignore that time that we completely fucked up our metrics and tanked all support SR for a month).

They said MMR, not SR. SR is just a magical feel good number that they play around with however they like to trick your dumb lizard brain into playing more.

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/overwatch/23910163/season-2-retrospective-a-look-back-and-the-road-forward

Biggest news:

* Legacy credits are becoming a permanent currency, and will be available in the battle pass. 1500 free, 500 premium. I think they're usable on old skins not new ones?
    * "Nearly" all skins from OW1 will be permanently available in the hero gallery at all times, and reduced in price to 1500.
    * Design work has started on a cosmetic per-hero progression system.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The credits thing might actually work well, especially having them in the battle pass as opposed to some stupid tag that you'll never use.

And I know this is corporate PR speak, so you can never say "we screwed up" but damn yo, you would have won a lot of respect by saying Battle For Olympus stunk and we'll fix it. They got close to saying it, but then they lie by saying they're generally happy about the feedback. Disdain for it is the one thing I've seen the OW community rally behind in unity.

As someone with a hojillion credits who stopped playing for over a year, came back, bought all the cosmetics I wanted, and still have a jillion credits left... this does nothing whatsoever for me. Same as all these events where the main reward for participating is old skins. And if the 'new things to spend credits on' are just more of the dumb little props, nameplates, etc... hell nah.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Battle for Olympis was great! I got every title then kept going.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    As someone with a hojillion credits who stopped playing for over a year, came back, bought all the cosmetics I wanted, and still have a jillion credits left... this does nothing whatsoever for me. Same as all these events where the main reward for participating is old skins. And if the 'new things to spend credits on' are just more of the dumb little props, nameplates, etc... hell nah.

Well they need to extract new money out of you at some point. They obviously don't want you to coast on your jillion credits for years while they pump out new content for you to grab for free.

edited February 2023
    Dev interview, starts at 26:10:

Really good interview, some blunt questions on monetization and battle pass. Jared is a good communicator and it kinda maybe seems like they'll continue to be more communicative this time, we'll see. Their answer to various complaints about greedy monetization is that they intend to maintain the game for "decades" and it needs to be a sustainable source of revenue for them to do that. Not a ton of game news, but Workshop is coming back in S3.

Zek on
    It's an interesting interview, but some things just don't click or at least need to be offered as a counter to their arguments and the host wasn't going to risk being blacklisted. You monetize to make up for being free to play, I get that, but you're at such a broken price point I wonder how much they actually sell beyond the battle pass. IIRC in 2021 financials Blizzard made 300 million from OW1, which seems like a good amount for a game 5 years old at that point that was basically being ignored for OW2, and it made billions or near a billion per year before that. And that was with a paid game and lootboxes. If you carried lootboxes over with this same skin output, even if you increased the skin prices a bit more they'd be rolling in the money and people would be happy because either buy the lootboxes or work up and you don't feel cheated. Man do I hate having to point out the lootbox system was better.

They also say this is the biggest the OW team has ever been, and they aren't saying that including PVE, but we sure don't see that in the product we're playing right now.

A developer post from Keller talking about maps. Map pool is going away....in season 4 (stop doing this announcement for a season later, you can do it now). They are also saying they're looking into frequency of maps and saying they're hearing a lot of talk about Colliseo being forced on us (true) and that Push is being pushed too much (true). They say it's not entirely random, and that they do have something set up so you don't get the same map or game mode in a short period of time to which I say I'll believe my lying eyes for the past 6 years, always Hanamura and Horizon and Lijiang.

edited February 2023
    Why do you say the price point is broken? Clearly it's working and that's why they still aren't changing it. People genuinely are paying $19 for skins.

The most important thing to understand about F2P business models is that the vast majority of people don't pay a cent. Supposedly 97.8%. The only reason anybody uses this model is because they can extract a lot of money from the few people who are paying. Clearly they're all aware that if you lower the price, you sell more. They no doubt researched it extensively and found that this price point maximizes revenue.

Zek on
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    I was playing all roles in QP role queue and just got Tank and DPS back to back before drawing healer. I didn’t know what to do with myself.

edited February 2023
    tjc9m3fseyww.jpeg

Finally, an Overwatch dating sim…

LostNinja on
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    With how horny the OW community is that was money being left on the table.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    Lol many sites online have an overwatch dating sim on it a dab.

One Punch Man collab would be great if they actually do skins for it. Doomfist, Bridget, Widow come to mind.

Talith wrote: »
    With how horny the OW community is that was money being left on the table.

It's free, supposedly 30 minutes long, and they're bribing you with that Hanzo POTG to play it.

ztrEPtD.gif
    TexiKen wrote: »

One Punch Man collab would be great if they actually do skins for it. Doomfist, Bridget, Widow come to mind.

If there isn’t at least a Doomfist skin I don’t even know what we are doing here.

https://youtu.be/MNX1wV9UfL4

lol, I'd always secretly hoped they would do Fortnite style collab skins. Give me that dumb shit, I'm here for it.

They've got a more detailed breakdown on the blog:

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/overwatch/23912175/overwatch-2-season-3-starts-february-7-new-antarctica-control-map-one-punch-man-collab-loverwatch-dating-sim-and-so-much-more
    BALANCE, MATCHMAKING, AND QUALITY-OF-LIFE CHANGES

The full patch notes to kick off season three will be posted later today. Join us on Twitch today at 12:00 P.M. PT for an in-depth discussion of the Hero balance changes heading your way later this week. We’ll be joined by our Lead Hero Designer, Alec Dawson, and A_Seagull as we break down who’s getting nerfed, who’s getting buffed, and what it means to you. In the meantime, here’s a short summary of the biggest changes:

* The health totals for all tanks will be lower when playing any game mode that does not have a role queue to address the relative power of those heroes in game modes where there can be multiple of the same hero on the same team. Health totals will remain the same for tanks when playing any Role Queue enabled game.
    * Maximum ultimate charge retained when swapping heroes is reduced from 30 to 25%.
    * Mercy is receiving nerfs, and most supports have received minor balance changes.
    * Damaging enemies with Rammatra’s ultimate now slows the duration timer down instead of pausing it entirely.

We’ve also made several quality-of-life changes to matchmaking and competitive, as detailed in our recent blog. Here’s the gist:

* The matchmaker will be updated so that roles on both teams will be similarly ranked. For example, mirroring tanks should more often have similar ranks than before, and likewise, for each respective role.
    * Your competitive rank will update with every 5 wins and 15 losses.
    * In the mid-season patch for season three, we’ll be updating the UI so information about your progress towards a competitive update will always be viewable.
    * Also, beginning with our mid-season patch, Top 500 Leaderboard players will see their Top 500 leaderboard rank updated after every match rather than every 5 wins and 15 losses.

Looking ahead, in Season 4 we’ll be removing rank resets and rank decay as we know this has been a poor experience for some players and cause for churn. We’re committed to continual improvements on our matchmaking and competitive experience, so please keep the feedback in this area coming!

Oh and the patch notes: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/overwatch-2-retail-patch-notes-february-7-2023/781229

Quite a few balance changes but nothing too crazy. Mercy got nerfed but now does partial self-healing instead of boosted regen. Tanks lost a lot of health in Open Queue modes.

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    LostNinja wrote: »

If there isn’t at least a Doomfist skin I don’t even know what we are doing here.

S3_webOnePunchDoomfist.0.jpg

Cruor on
    Cruor wrote: »
    It does skew the numbers in such a way that it'll encourage Twitch to

I don’t even play Doomfist but I would start

edited February 2023
    I'll take it, but it's just DoomSaitama? I wanted a Captain Mizuki Bridget, Blizzard (or Tatsumaki) Widow, and you could even make a simple Mei Watchdog Man. We go even further with a Reaper Zombieman, Roadhog is Pig God, and Genji is Mumen Rider. Sadly no one is cool enough to be Metal Bat.

I like those tank changes to the non role-queue modes. I don't agree with Lucio and Moira both getting buffs in ult charge, especially Moira, without having some compensation (I'd love a bigger spread for Lucio when wall riding or shooting while airborne, much like my ideal dream for spray and pray hopping 76's)

Hollywood's out of map pool, boo. Eichenwald's gone, but Numbani finally showed up again.

TexiKen on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Gonna be surprised if we don’t get a Genji skin in this One Punch Man crossover

Not that he needs any more skins but y’know

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    They mentioned other cosmetics and a free Legendary which may or may not be the Saitama one.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    got in now, still overwatch.
    Cruor wrote: »
    It does skew the numbers in such a way that it'll encourage Twitch to

I don’t even play Doomfist but I would start

yeah OK I installed it again blizzard

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    edited February 2023
    Another dev interview/"podcast" on hero balance went up. Loving the communication lately. If they did just one of these blog posts or interviews a week it would make all the difference.

Roadhog's winrate is now awful, around 42%. I don't know what they're going to do with him, the one shot is his entire reason for existence. I'm kind of annoyed that they were so desperate to get rid of his one-shot that they butchered him in the short term and they know it. It feels a bit desperate as they try to placate the community who are generally very angry about everything right now.

Zek on
    I agree just talking once a week makes things better. Especially when you hire people to be just that, a speaker for your game.

Roadhog needed to suffer, if only Ligma would get the same punch down he deserves since he's been dominant ever since he was launched. But with Hog I wanted my pound of flesh and I got it, finally, since it should have happened when OW2 launched but he just kept appearing everywhere thanks to Kiriko. He's not good at the top 500, oh well, he was ruining the fun in platinum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF1NvCwTZqo

After seeing this, Ball will be dominant on console without some damage nerfs to him or greater grapple cooldown, because those disgusting KBAM users. I know the OW forum is acting like Mercy was just crucified but it seems like she's going to be a must pick because they didn't touch damage boost and all her healing nerfs are offset by healing passives. Sojourn still needs nerfs.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Mercy actually seemed buffed to me.

Sure you can't cheese GA like you used to but she seems a lot more interesting to play and might be about to make more plays outside of just being the team's amp/heal bot.

I am perplexed that they changed Mercy's healing and not damage boost, I thought everyone was complaining about damage boost one shots in high level play. I'm glad they nerfed her mobility at least, GA is ridiculous right now. I think they should redesign it entirely.

• OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    very exciting changes, looking very forward to diving in

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    how many people do they have working on skins. There's some cool looking skins coming but man, it feels like that's where their time is going. I get it, its the $$$ maker but damn, that's a lot of money.

Mystery Heroes feels much better with the tank nerfs, but I would have also liked them to make no hero stacking if they already went ahead and said no more than 3 tanks. 2 Ligma and a Zarya are still unstoppable turds. I like the Mercy change if only because she can't run away with GA and has to think about being cute with plays. Now just to have matchmaker get fixed.

It's not out yet but apparently the Loverwatch game for next week only lets you have Mercy or Naruto to pick from, which is streets behind.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Zek wrote: »
    Roadhog's winrate is now awful, around 42%. I don't know what they're going to do with him, the one shot is his entire reason for existence. I'm kind of annoyed that they were so desperate to get rid of his one-shot that they butchered him in the short term and they know it. It feels a bit desperate as they try to placate the community who are generally very angry about everything right now.

Honestly, one-shot-kills are simply part of the game, and taking the ability away from roadhog was always going to a bad decision. Nerfing his other abilities in some fashion? I absolutely get it. Making his combo harder to pull off, by giving the hook a smaller hitbox or worse targeting, is also a solid option, i feel. But his entire kit is based around the space he makes through the threat of that surprise pick, and they had to have seen that.

Now they're leaning into the decision to remove risk assessment from using the character's ult and it just feels like bad decisions all the way down. There's such a thing as smoothing out sharp edges until all you're left with is a boring, flat surface.

BloodySloth on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Yeah I haven't been a fan of their strategy of temporarily dumpstering a character until they figure out what to do with them.

Dragkonias on
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    buffs, nerfs, who cares, they finally tell you your current progress in that one '3 wins on all roles' weekly

also they revamped the endorsements tab and you can endorse people on the other team again

uc3ufTB.png
    edited February 2023
    buffs, nerfs, who cares, they finally tell you your current progress in that one '3 wins on all roles' weekly

also they revamped the endorsements tab and you can endorse people on the other team again

Now these are the updates I’ve been looking for! Just need to kill the map rotation (and maybe push all together) and we’re back on track.

LostNinja on
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    fix the push maps by shrinking them 40% and they'd be waaaaaay better and probably almost fun!

As predicted Ball is broken on console, too much health and the shield bails him out too much when retreating just enough to get team heals.

The Mercy changes a fine, Mercy players whine more than Genji players. The changes in adjusted health boost help out a LOT in holding the line at the end of payload maps which is all that really matters, and tanks are allowed to sponge even more. I’m more annoyed with how Lucio can still run free without DPS cc, bring back flash bang.

I'm wonder if the strategy of ignoring bad Ball players and just let them waste time while you kill their team will still work.

Also I think them nerfing Sombra helps him.

Blog post for the second time in two weeks! What is this?!?!?!

-they're planning on reducing to outright reworking the number of cards/selections in the Arcade mode because it's creating longer queue times and is also affecting people achieving arcade challenges

-Push maps were popping up about 30% more than the other maps, they have supposedly hotfixed this. While this is good, just last week they tries to gaslight us that it wasn't the case. We're obnoxiously annoying as a playerbase but we're actually right about a lot of stuff, developers.

-It seems like we are getting more than just Doomfist Saitama with the OPM collab. This interview with the art director that is linked in the blog post makes it seem like at least 3. Genji Flashy Flash would be an insult to Flashy Flash. And it doesn't seem like there is a collab like this in season 4 so hopefully they really put their best foot forward on this to make it worthwhile.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular