As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fitness and Weight Management] Let's crush some 2022 goals!

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Icemopper wrote: »
    Reporting back after a few months and I only have @schuss to either blame or thank for recommending uphill lunges. They are awful and I can barely walk afterwards.

On the other hand, my wife grabbed my butt last week and said "wow, that's so firm, are you doing something different?" So yeah, I'll keep suffering through those damn lunges.

Yep, they're as terrible as they are effective. Can confirm wife ass grabbing is a regular occurrence here too.
    I will take all hate/love you got as I know exactly what you mean.
    If you're ever stuck inside, I can also recommend one legged squats on a wobble board (hard) or bosu (easy) for similar results.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I'm a rope climber by preference but there always something about a good boulder route that just makes me feel extra strong.

This was a really cool route my gym recently put up.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CoCyjxiATXC/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Yesterday I wore my second best shoes for a 5k run in the morning light, wearing shorts with the temperature at a pretty-much-ideal 4° C, and I felt miserable just making it to a 6:08 per kilometre pace. Tonight I went out into the dark in -15° C weather with 30 kph wind and gusts up to 65 kph that were blowing all 190 pounds of me around, wearing my slowest shoes (they’ve got amazing traction on ice), wearing my heaviest sweatpants and layered up as much as I could, and I ran at a 4:59 per kilometre pace. The last kilometre was all up hill and in 4:31.

I’m not unhappy with my run tonight, but man, I have no idea where that came from.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    I am five weeks out from the Shamrock Half and I'm using the Garmin Race Trainer widget for the first time. Upgraded the watch last fall and this thing was one of the new features I was curious about. So I signed up for the race and decided to put it to the test.

How it works: select your race off the list on Garmin and your desired finish time and, after it all syncs up, the widget starts giving you daily suggestions/workouts to get you to your target. If the selection you make has the course attached with it on the site, the widget will even be aware of the elevation you'll have to deal with. I didn't know beforehand that it was going to have some track-oriented stuff, but since there's a middle school a half mile away, I am able to avoid the hills that are everywhere else when needed. I did not miss track running. 600s and 800s at threshold are still the grind through hell I remember.

My previous self-training for anything longer than a 10k has always been a four-days-a-week/middle-run-half-of-the-long-run/2-steps-forward-1-back deal (4-6-5-12, 4-7-6-13, 4-5-5-10, for example). The watch direction involves quite a bit more running - January only had 4 non-active days - and a good portion of them are base runs about a minute slower than target.

The app also takes your rest/sleep into account since it's adjusted the daily suggestion a couple of times on the fly based on how it thought I was doing. Like you go to bed with an 80-minute long run listed and wake up with it saying, "Hey, maybe 20 minutes of trotting and call it a day?" And having ignored it twice and done the original advice with some flippant I Don't Need Your Charity type of thoughts, lemme tell you: it knows.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    So, at the end of the month I'm going skiing for the first time. It will also be the first time I've ever seen snow, lol. (south florida born and bred) There is a place in Doral that does indoor skiing and lessons, so I went there because they were like $50/hr instead of $350 for two hours (and you had to take the two hours) in Idaho. But I'm definitely having my trainer work on stuff with me that'll help (hopefully). So. Here's to hoping I don't run into a tree or shatter, lol.

You will be aware of so many muscles in your legs.

So, so many.

Yep, if you really want to get ready - wall sits and lunges. More realistically, focus on flexibility as you'll need it getting up on skis after falling constantly.

Lol, every Thursday is leg day, and lunges, squats, split lunges, pushing and pulling the sled are the order of the day. After the lesson, I was able to tell the trainer where I felt I needed to work on, which was outside of the hips and knees. The boots / skis forced my legs into an odd (for me) stance. So, now it's a bit of unbalanced one legged stuff as well.

Maybe once or twice between now and the skiing, put weight on the balls of your feet and flick both heels outward like you're doing a reverse ruby slipper heelclick. You don't need to hold it, just get used to the sensation and muscle twitch that does it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEZIh7lQ3dc

Krieghund wrote: »
    Lol, every Thursday is leg day, and lunges, squats, split lunges, pushing and pulling the sled are the order of the day. After the lesson, I was able to tell the trainer where I felt I needed to work on, which was outside of the hips and knees. The boots / skis forced my legs into an odd (for me) stance. So, now it's a bit of unbalanced one legged stuff as well.

Yep, one legged squats on a wobble board are also good. That said - as a beginner you don't really need a lot of the fine control as you're just building comfort and base technique.

I'm somewhat expecting this to be similar to the Spartan I ran in Killington. Yeah, my legs hurt the next couple of days, but it wasn't anything beyond a really intense workout. And I'd never been running up a mountain (for Vermont, anyway) before that either. I don't plan on doing anything beyond beginner stuff, cuz, I'm an old, lol. This, for me is more of a feeler to see if this is something I will enjoy doing in the future, or if it's going to be a one off thing, and it'll probably be the weather that's deciding factor. Outside of me hitting a tree or something, lol.

Ugh. The challenge for the back half of February for the Marathon Pour Tous bib lottery is to run a sub-50 10k. And I mean, I can do it. I’ve done it several times before. But it’s always been either during a race or while on my preferred running trail in good running weather. This being February, my running trail is going to be spongy at best. And if I go on the road where I live, there will be cars and very big hills. I think that I’ll end up visiting my parents and doing laps around their block on the street. It’s a 0.66 km round trip with minimal traffic, so 16 laps will do it. But ugh.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    I'm somewhat expecting this to be similar to the Spartan I ran in Killington. Yeah, my legs hurt the next couple of days, but it wasn't anything beyond a really intense workout. And I'd never been running up a mountain (for Vermont, anyway) before that either. I don't plan on doing anything beyond beginner stuff, cuz, I'm an old, lol. This, for me is more of a feeler to see if this is something I will enjoy doing in the future, or if it's going to be a one off thing, and it'll probably be the weather that's deciding factor. Outside of me hitting a tree or something, lol.

Skiing only really gets incredibly strenuous when you're skiing fast because g-forces multiply what your legs have to deal with - you'll be fine.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Absolutely pissed through an old 7A project today, last tried it a year ago and wasn't able to do the crux or the top, today it went in like four goes. Sick.

• IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    I'm just going to nod along with everyone else and pretend that post made sense to me because it sure does sound cool and I don't want to be not cool!

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I reckon he flew through it in 4 tries and it used to be nigh impossible for him

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    That is correct, its a boulder problem that gets a 7A grade, couldn't do the crux (hardest move) or the top section a year ago but today I did the crux first time and then linked it all together in a few goes. Big gains! Very exciting.

edited February 2023
    Ran a 5k yesterday and my left knee was really hurting the entire time, and now my left thigh is sore enough where I skipped my long run.

Hoping it's a one off thing and I do have a massage gun on the way, but with a marathon in two weeks I'm def worried.

Kyougu on
    I think maybe rest it for a few days, and see where it is in 48 hours? Ice definitely helps with such things too

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Ice for immediate injury, other than that heat, movement(as tolerated), and elevation

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    I love my massage gun, I hope that helps you as much as it does me. Thanks for reminding me to use it too, even when pain isn't present. Hope you recover quickly!

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    A massage gun can make a shocking difference in a pretty short amount of time if your soft tissue is what ails you, I got one a while ago and my wife and I both love it to pieces.

My watch is probably aware the 800 is hell incarnate because instead of just admitting we're doing those, it's all, "let's do a few X-pace targets for Y-minutes - sound good?"

I can do the math. That's a goddamn 800. You fool NO ONE.

edited February 2023
    The current challenge for the Marathon Pour Tous bib draw is running a sub-55 minute 10k. It was originally a sub-50 10k, but they changed it to 55, which was very kind of them. I suspect that someone was like “uh, if we set it to 50, that’s really going to limit how many people are able to do this.” Anyhow, last night I went out and I ran. And after a kilometre, I was feeling pretty good, and I was accelerating, so I decided to get it done day one, despite having done a long 16k run the day before, despite being bundled up relatively heavily against cold weather, and despite wearing my ice traction shoes.

And for the heck of it, I decided that I was going to be obstinate and do it under 50 like the challenge originally wanted. And I darn well did. I ran 12.98 kilometres at an average pace of 4:55 per km. There was even 130 meters of elevation gain during that run. But the activity wasn’t recognized by the app.

So today, I decided screw it, pain is just weakness demons leaving the body, I’ll just do this again. Today, visiting my grandfather in PEI, I ran down a soft, icy, and muddy trail, with my legs not even close to recovered from yesterday’s run. I managed 12.83 kilometres at a 4:55 per kilometre pace. And again, despite 130 meters of climbing. Boom, take that, you silly app. But it still wasn’t giving me credit.

And then I read the challenge more closely: “Attention, an activity of more than 10km including a block of 10km in less than 55 minutes does not validate the challenge (ex: 13km in 58min do not validate the challenge despite the block of 10km in less than 55min. Whereas 12km done in 54min will validate the challenge).

Oh. Goshdarnit.

So sometime in the next two weeks I guess I’ll just have to stop my watch once I hit 10.1k or so, so that GPS shenanigans don’t rob me of the distance/time. And I probably will aim for 55. Probably. But I did learn three important things in the last twenty-four hours. Firstly, that post having had Covid I can still run (relatively) fast. I am reasonably confident at the moment that with an actual taper, proper shoes, and a road to run on, I can now run 10k in under 45 minutes, which is a major goal for me. Secondly, the Saucony Ride 15 shoes are so, so good. That’s what I wore today, and I feel like the shoes made a two or three minute difference over the distance compared to literally anything else I’ve ever worn. It does make me curious about what the high end racing shoes like Nike Vaporflys would be like. And thirdly, I need to read the fine print. Because if I’d just stopped the run at the 50 minute mark each time, I would have had it with plenty of time to spare.

Edit: ow ow ow, but also hell yeah
    3fu06awgde5q.jpeg

Shadowhope on
    Marathon #5 !

This one was probably the most miserable run I have had in some time.

Between injury, ice storm and being sick I knew I was undertrained. The smart thing to do would have to take the race at a slow pace and just have fun.

I am not a smart man.

Started too fast and by midway point I knew I was in trouble. The second half was mentally and physically hard. I wanted to quit multiple times.

Persevered and managed a respectable 4:15 time somehow.

Every race is a new learning opportunity and hey fifth marathon!

Looking forward to taking a break from marathon training before I end up signing up for a new one.

edited March 2023
    First day of skiing in the books and so far so good. Only fell about 5-6 times. Granted, I was on the easiest slope they had, but we were out there for like five hours. We'll see how I feel in the morning, lol.

Also, it's been steadily snowing the entire time I've been here (Sun Valley, Idaho) and being a tourist that's never seen snow before, it's been amazing. Glad I don't have to live with it, though, lol.

Krieghund on
  • DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    The Arnold Strongman Classic is running this weekend and it's free to watch on Youtube if you are interested. They're running the women at the same time with the same implements as the men this year so it is much more consistent action than previous years.

https://www.youtube.com/live/A933iJdV8BY?feature=share

steam_sig.png
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Marathon #5 !

Between injury, ice storm and being sick I knew I was undertrained. The smart thing to do would have to take the race at a slow pace and just have fun.

I am not a smart man.

Started too fast and by midway point I knew I was in trouble. The second half was mentally and physically hard. I wanted to quit multiple times.

Looking forward to taking a break from marathon training before I end up signing up for a new one.

Out of curiosity, as someone who will probably try his first marathon this year, what was your training plan? And what’s your normal monthly volume and pace?

Ok, so now that I'm home, I can feel the soreness. Oddly enough, it's not my legs, but the center of my back. I guess pulling yourself along with the poles is something I'm going to have to work on. I didn't get a second day of skiing since the the mountain we went to that day was much more advanced than day one, and I'm old and cautious enough not to risk it, lol. BUT! I did enjoy it enough to do it again. So we're looking into beginner friendly mountains, since I wasn't the only one in my group that was doing this for the first time. Big Sky is in the lead, but we've got a year.

Ok, so now that I'm home, I can feel the soreness. Oddly enough, it's not my legs, but the center of my back. I guess pulling yourself along with the poles is something I'm going to have to work on. I didn't get a second day of skiing since the the mountain we went to that day was much more advanced than day one, and I'm old and cautious enough not to risk it, lol. BUT! I did enjoy it enough to do it again. So we're looking into beginner friendly mountains, since I wasn't the only one in my group that was doing this for the first time. Big Sky is in the lead, but we've got a year.

Honestly solitude and brighton are great mountains overshadowed by alta/snowbird a canyon over. Mammoth is also a joy for people of all levels IMO. I would stay away from Jackson and be careful on Montana, as they aren't always great. I'd look up some instruction as well (and the rep of the mountain for instruction), as a good private lesson for a few of you could just be incredible to supercharge your progression and enjoyment.

Also snowbasin - finest bathrooms of any ski area ever.

Shadowhope wrote: »
    Marathon #5 !

I am not a smart man.

Out of curiosity, as someone who will probably try his first marathon this year, what was your training plan? And what’s your normal monthly volume and pace?

I just looked at my stats for last year running up to my second marathon. The month before the race I hit 200 miles, the month before that was 173, then 156 before that. My training plan has me get in one long run per week, maxing out at 22 to 24 miles. Some training plans do two long runs instead, on back to back days.

My next marathon is mid April and I just did 18 miles yesterday, felt pretty good!

Shadowhope wrote: »
    Marathon #5 !

I am not a smart man.

I run pretty much year round, so I don't follow an extract training plan for Marathon. Im really bad about doing stuff like speed work or hills.

Usually I do anywhere between 30 to 40 miles on a regular week. My schedule is something like

Tuesday: 4.5 miles
    Wed: 5 to 7 miles
    Thursday: 8 to 10 miles
    Sat: 13 to 16 miles
    Sunday: 3 to 5 miles

So I guess I already have a pretty decent ongoing base. The month before my marathon I usually up the Wed and Thursday runs to their higher end and my Saturday runs go between 15 and 18 with a 20 miler before my marathon.

I also do strength training 3 times a week, usually 30 to 45 min of light weight squats and core, as well as yoga on Fridays and regularly climbing. I think those activities really help me stay injury free and stronger.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I got on the scale this morning and observed a significant milestone.

I've lost 45 pounds since my surgery in December, which means I'm a full 100 pounds lighter than my highest weight in December 21.

Imagine carrying a 13 year old around on your shoulders all day and night. That's 100 pounds. insane.

Shamrock Half complete.

Rained as expected. Forgot my earbuds. Could not figure out how to get my watch to start the actual race/pacing strategy that I had set up, so I had to run it blind, so to speak. There's a Strava segment called I've Made A Huge Mistake around 7.5 or so that is as advertised. First mile was a 50 seconds over pace target due to crowd running.

But: doing miles in the rain is genetically encoded as a NW runner. Pumped the volume on the phone speaker and caught an occasional pacing bass line. Have now figured out how to start the watch event pacing for next time. Did well on the terror segment. And the last 5 miles of the course are mainly downhill.

Crossing the 8mi mark, I needed those five to be the fastest of the day and then went and did so. Last one was 30 seconds quicker than any of the other twelve. PR - 1:58:13.

I’m running a lot faster than normal in March so far. The month is on pace to have both my most mileage and my fastest average pace - thirteen days in and I’m up to 155.4 km at an average 5’25 pace per km. I think that it’s a bunch of things coming together - I spent the fall and winter running up hills and now that extra leg strength is paying off, it’s lighter out longer so I can see where I’m going and can accelerate more confidently, the sidewalks aren’t covered in ice and snow, and the Saucony Ride 15s that I’ve been rocking lately are fantastic.

I had a lot of energy heading into my run tonight, and I decided to go for a sub-25 minute 5k. I clocked in at 23:51, and it was no trouble. So I decided to keep going, and aim for 25 minute 5k. I fell a little off the pace, and my second 5k was in 25:27. At that point, I decided that my legs still had a lot of energy left in them, and decided to run 5k more at what I hope will be my marathon pace, about 5:30. That went well, and I averaged a 5:27 pace, getting that segment done in 27:14. I was back to my front door then, and could have turned in, but I decided that things still felt pretty good, and I might as well make it an impromptu half marathon. I set 5:30 as my pace goal for that next 5k, and nailed it, running that segment in 27:28. Then, for the last bit, I basically threw in what energy I had left. Kilometre 21 was 5:00 flat, and total for the whole 21.1 km thing ended up as 1:49:02, a 5:12 pace from the time I started until I stopped my watch. That’s about seven minutes off my PB, but given that the whole thing was completely unplanned I’ll happily take it.

I’m really pleased that I can now decide “I’m going to run a sub-25 5k/sub-50 10k” and just go out and do it. I’ve done that multiple times over the past month, so yay. Speed work is the most fun. But I think that I’m going to have to discipline myself to slow down for the rest of the week at least, and maybe spend some more time climbing hills. There’s a lovely one five minutes from my front door that goes up 54 metres over 800 metres, a lovely leg-killing and character-building 6.1% grade.

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Today I broke 1,000 miles on the exercise bike since I got it in summer last year. Kind of surprised cause it doesn't feel like I've ridden all that much.

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    I assume that within the fitness thread there are people who spend a significant portion of time on bikes and since I didn't see a bike thread - here we are.

I'm going to be doing a little move in the near future and I'll have the ability to get back to riding to the grocery store and other markets (yay!) - and while I have two bikes to choose from, and I have installed a rear rack on both, I seek knowledge on recommendations for good grocery getting panniers. Ideally detachable and able to carry, you know, groceries and other misc things.

Budget friendly would be nice, but I get that these aren't always low cost.

Thoughts and advice?

The internet has me leaning towards the Banjo Brothers Market Bag at the moment.

DrZiplock on
  • jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    so i bought an under desk treadmill a couple weeks ago. i've been averaging about 16K steps a day at 2.0MPH. I've been pretty sedentary with WFH.

Highly recommend.

i feel stronger when doing my lifts although i will say i definitely have a higher RPE at the last set(s) which i fully attribute to the additional walking.

EIT

23801 steps at work the day of this post. it's the best.

jmcdonald on
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    I assume that within the fitness thread there are people who spend a significant portion of time on bikes and since I didn't see a bike thread - here we are.

I'm going to be doing a little move in the near future and I'll have the ability to get back to riding to the grocery store and other markets (yay!) - and while I have two bikes to choose from, and I have installed a rear rack on both, I seek knowledge on recommendations for good grocery getting panniers. Ideally detachable and able to carry, you know, groceries and other misc things.

Budget friendly would be nice, but I get that these aren't always low cost.

Thoughts and advice?

The internet has me leaning towards the Banjo Brothers Market Bag at the moment.

I've got a pair of Ortlieb Classic bags that are excellent and enormous and also waterproof. I've done a full load of groceries for myself and my wife which included a 16 pack of beer. Super easy to get on and off the rack, and depending on how much weight is in them they may rattle some but not much.

These aren't exactly low cost though, but they seem like they will hold up for years and years to come.