As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Cooking] thread 2: 2019's 2020's revenge

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    My gooseneck kettle has recently lost its ability to tell what temperature it's at so it just freaks out until it boils over. My current solution is poking the probe of a Thermoworks Dot through one of the ventilation holes and keeping a close eye on it.

Probably just need a new kettle, though.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    is it a stovetop kettle or electric?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Electric. When it gets to the mid 100s the temperature readout starts bouncing between a bunch of absurdly low numbers until it boils. Sometimes it'll beep like it's reached 105 but it seems to be entirely arbitrary.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    The Thermoworks Pop is also very nice, and I've yet to have to replace the battery in it.

I have two of these and they're great.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Can someone recommend an instant-read probe thermometer that uses AA, AAA, or like 9V batteries?

Preferably one that's inexpensive but not actually cheap shit

I recently upgraded to the Thermoworks Thermapen One and it’s amazing. Buuuut it’s also like $75 on sale.

I have this, buy this. I have had other ones but the speed of the thermapen one makes life a million times easier.

• Options
    GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    I love my Thermapen.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I got my first thermapen as a gift and then I signed up for their newsletter and they have sales all the time.

They discontinued their original wireless system (Smoke), so I bought a whole setup on sale. I have three probes, the little wireless module, then another wireless module on a lanyard and it will interface with your phone.

It rules when you can just put a roast in the oven, probe it up, and the little wireless module tells you when it's to the temperature you wanted.

Especially on Thanksgiving when I can just show people the temp when they demand to know why I haven't checked the turkey yet.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Trying to figure out a spice system. I want to use more fresh spices but I run into a practicality issue. I just don't cook enough to justify paying for fresh spices, since they'll probably go bad. But also I'm tired of dumping spice into stuff and getting absolutely nothing out of it. I know I'm white but I reject my bland, wonder bread ancestry. I demand flavor.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Trying to figure out a spice system. I want to use more fresh spices but I run into a practicality issue. I just don't cook enough to justify paying for fresh spices, since they'll probably go bad. But also I'm tired of dumping spice into stuff and getting absolutely nothing out of it. I know I'm white but I reject my bland, wonder bread ancestry. I demand flavor.

What kind of spices are we talking about here?

Sealed spices work pretty damn well for a long time, especially if you buy the good stuff to start.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

Spices generally don't "go bad" as such, it's just that the flavour/aroma have a half-life, longer for some spices than others.

Storing spices in a sealed, dry jar out of direct light is a big help here. Buy seeds rather than powdered spices where practical, and grind them when needed. Another trick I picked up is to put a spoonful of ordinary table salt into the jar to keep moisture away from the seeds or powder. The salt falls to the bottom of the jar so it won't be a problem.

• Options
    I could probably doo the same thing with some rice maybe. I could definitely start transitioning to buying whole spices and grinding.

I also want to try drying strings of chilis for chili spice.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    I could probably doo the same thing with some rice maybe. I could definitely start transitioning to buying whole spices and grinding.

I grew cayennes on my balcony last summer and threw them in my air fryer on dehydrate mode, then pounded them up with a mortar and pestle. Made the best chili flakes I’ve ever had. Gonna keep doing that whenever I have access toa a garden.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Got my new wok seasoned and took it for a spin.

5oljbdaa1w4f.jpeg

Yeah, this thing rules.

(Yes, my stove is a mess. I was seasoning a wok and then stir frying dinner. Collateral damage was inevitable)

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

If you find there's a spice blend you make on the regular, eg: Juggernut's Excellent Stovetop Chilli Blend™, then you could perhaps take a leaf out of India's book and grind up a batch and mix it with some oil and salt to make a spice paste. The oil will capture those precious aromatics, and the paste will be useful for rather longer than a jarful of powdered spices.

They also make neat little low-commitment, workplace-friendly gifts.

• Options
    Does anyone have recommendations for kitchen towels that actually dry things and absorb liquid?

I swear to God half of my kitchen towels that I've acquired over the years just push water around and don't dry anything and it's finally driving me insane.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    you might need to do a strip wash, like folks do with cloth diapers. Also, don't wash your kitchen towels with fabric softener, but you likely know that one.

if, after doing a strip wash/soak, they're still not working, you might need to look into getting better all cotton towels.

How to Strip Towels

1 Wash your towels normally.
    2 Separate white towels from the dark ones.
    3 Fill your bathtub with hot water.
    4 Add borax, washing soda, and detergent to the hot water.
    5 Submerge your towels in the water.
    6 Let the towels soak for 5 hours.
    7 Run the towels through a water-only rinse cycle.

Tumble dry the towels and the repeat as needed if they're still dirty

• Options
    Got a bone in pork shoulder slow cooking for carnitas and used a whole bunch of random, bottom of the pack pasta I had to make a kinda creamy chicken, spinach and cherry tomato pasta... thing. Cooked the sauce up with milk and parmesan cheese and a little white wine to deglaze the pan after searing the chicken, then did up my onions and garlic.

For dinner I'm making roasted red pepper and tomato soup.

• Options
    RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    This is a cooking adjacent question. Hardware related, blender specifically. I have started making my own hot sauce using fermentation. I have found that my current blender is woefully lacking in the "oomph" needed to really tear the stuff down in a nice texture. I am seeking blender recommendations.

Before anybody says it, I know Vitamix is good, but I cannot swing a 300-400 dollar blender purchase right now. So I am seeking something able to be very good for what I mentioned above, possibly making nut butters, processing frozen fruit and ice for desserts and cocktails, and various other things. When I search amazon for high powered blenders, Vitamix and Ninja were the main ones that came up. Any input?

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options
    This is a cooking adjacent question. Hardware related, blender specifically. I have started making my own hot sauce using fermentation. I have found that my current blender is woefully lacking in the "oomph" needed to really tear the stuff down in a nice texture. I am seeking blender recommendations.

Before anybody says it, I know Vitamix is good, but I cannot swing a 300-400 dollar blender purchase right now. So I am seeking something able to be very good for what I mentioned above, possibly making nut butters, processing frozen fruit and ice for desserts and cocktails, and various other things. When I search amazon for high powered blenders, Vitamix and Ninja were the main ones that came up. Any input?

I have a ninja setup that has a big, medium, and small vessel and you can put as many as three blades into the large one. It goes on sale all the time and seems to do the job?

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular

We have a Ninja that is basically a Vitamix Lite. Does a good job blending things real well but not so well it can heat soups just from friction alone. It was also like 1/6 the price of a Vitamix so I feel bang:buck ratio was appropriate.

• Options
    Which model of Ninja?

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Iga

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    The Ninjas aren’t bad, and for home use it’ll probably serve you great. But juuuuust in case a small price drop makes the difference, there’s always this option:

Vitamix Explorian Blender, Professional-Grade, 64 oz. Low-Profile Container, Black - 65542 (Renewed Premium) https://a.co/d/jhhpeFj

We bought one of these for home recently and it’s fantastic. Every bit as good as the $400 ones we have at the bakery.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Which model of Ninja?

Ninja Professional 1000, I think we bought it at Costco a year or two ago for $50.

• Options
    The Ninjas aren’t bad, and for home use it’ll probably serve you great. But juuuuust in case a small price drop makes the difference, there’s always this option:

Vitamix Explorian Blender, Professional-Grade, 64 oz. Low-Profile Container, Black - 65542 (Renewed Premium) https://a.co/d/jhhpeFj

We bought one of these for home recently and it’s fantastic. Every bit as good as the $400 ones we have at the bakery.

How does the vitamix 5200 stack up against that? I found some site listing that at 200USD. Also, does a Ninja have the capabilities that I was wanting (ie: sauce puree, salsa making, nut butters, frozen deserts...)?

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    My Ninja could make smoothies but there would still be strawberry and/or blueberry seeds.

The Vitamix doesn't give a fuck and turns even the seeds to liquid.

• Options
    neverreallyneverreally Registered User regular
    probably depends on the ninja, but mine isn't gonna make nut butter.

It's like... a normal blender haha

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Your ninja's retaining it, huh?

• Options
    Every once and a while I get worked up about cooking. I don't have that pan or that device or heritage heirloom butter.

When that happens I watch this.

Julia Childs giving absolutely no fucks making an omelette.

https://youtu.be/N40qglGNRlA

• Options
    edited February 2023

Alright all, I pulled the trigger an order the above model. I got my bonus at work and decided to splurge. Thanks for the advice/help all.

RightfulSin on
  • Options
    GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    For Valentines dinner I made 80's style fancy food - Steak Minute with crincle cut fries, garlic butter and tomato flowers. I have very fond memories from my childhood of exactly this, and the kids loved it too (well not the garlic butter, they had ketchup instead, but whadda ya gonna do, they're kids).

For dessert the wife made pineapple split (like banana split, but with pineapple instead). Definitely also very much 80's vibe for me.

z4b5r4ptdc81.jpeg

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    My kid would have devoured that.

Garlic butter? She will do almost anything for garlic butter

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Hmmm, I used to do like breakfast muffins or what they're called in the iron pan. It was a really easy and quick recipe and worked great, but I can't remember it and also can't find the recipe again.

Anyone has something like that?

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I know we've moved past it, but I highly recommend checking craigslist before buying a new kitchen appliance. There are a ton of barely used things out there.

I got my 3 in 1 blender for $40

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    you might need to do a strip wash, like folks do with cloth diapers. Also, don't wash your kitchen towels with fabric softener, but you likely know that one.

if, after doing a strip wash/soak, they're still not working, you might need to look into getting better all cotton towels.

How to Strip Towels

Waaaiiiiit a minute, is this why my old towels are all champs at drying stuff and my new towels just seem to spread water around??

• Options
    Didgeridoo wrote: »

How to Strip Towels

Waaaiiiiit a minute, is this why my old towels are all champs at drying stuff and my new towels just seem to spread water around??

That and new towels are often made with polyester to prevent shrinkage in the wash and coated with chemicals to feel extra soft and fluffy when sitting on the shelf at the store.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I specifically only use the "old" towels for that reason

they just dry so much better!

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I use special a detergent, P&S Rags to Riches, for my car detailing microfiber towels. It's much better at cleaning and reinvigorating microfibers towels than clothing detergent plus white vinegar I used to use. There's a good chance it'll do the same for cotton or cotton/polyester blend towels too.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Didgeridoo wrote: »

How to Strip Towels

Also that can depend on what they're made of.

There are 2 types of processing for cotton thread, well ok, one type resulting in 2 threads.

The process is called Mercerization, and if the cotton had gone through this, it's called "mercerized". This creates a smoother, shinier cotton thread that takes dye better, feels better, c doesn't shrink, and is absorbent. Usually used for household linens like table runners, placemats, pillows, etc

However, they are not as absorbent as unmercerized, or natural, cotton. It may feel rougher at the start of use, but will soften over time. Very absorbent with water, but harder to get vibrant dye colors to stick. It will shrink over time, but will retain, or even increase, it's absorbency.

This is only for 100% cotton. I know nothing about synthetic stuff.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I have been constantly irritated at my dish towels not absorbing water, so I will try this method to see if it makes them useful agane.

This discussion has been closed.