As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Apex Legends]: Breakout is here! 5 years of ApeLegs!

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm also intrigued by the scan as a double edged sword.

I'm the kind who'll carefully assess dropping things like a Rev totem or Loba's market in a given area/ring based on how likely it is to attract attention.

Knowing where everyone is will be super powerful, but in later rings it'll also be as big a beacon of HERE WE ARE as calling in a respawn dropship.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Yeah I think the advantage is that for a Loba store or respawn beacon or whatever you have to stand by it to do the thing, once you've done the scan you can immediately bail and people will know where you were but but not where you are.

I'm also curious about the TDM meta and how it will evolve, stuff like six people using a Revenant totem or So Many caustic traps and Wattson fences is fun to think about (even if it probably doesn't play out that way).

Huh, patch notes dropped early!

https://www.ea.com/games/apex-legends/news/revelry-patch-notes

I assume most folks have already gone over the class perk rewerk, but here's the rest of it.
    PATCH NOTES
    Legendary Shotgun Bolt
    New shotgun bolt rarity tier added to floor loot and crafters
    Gold Perk: Automatically reloads rounds while sliding. Activates while equipped or stowed.
    Care Package Rotation

Hemlok Burst AR enters the Care Package
    Rampage LMG returns to the floor

Weapon Crafting Rotation
    Longbow DMR enters the crafter
    Volt SMG enters the crafter
    G7 Scout returns to the floor
    C.A.R. SMG returns to the floor

Gold Weapon Rotation
    Nemesis, Rampage, PK, Wingman, R99

Anvil Receiver Hop-Up [R-301, Flatline] Removed from floor loot and crafting
    Hammerpoint Rounds Hop-Up [Mozambique, P2020] Added to floor loot and crafting, Rarity tier increased to Legendary

C.A.R. SMG
    Reduced base ammo capacity to 19 (was 20)

R-99
    Increased damage to 12 (was 11)

Assault Rifles
    Significantly reduced hipfire accuracy

R-301
    Reduced damage to 13 (was 14)

Hemlock Burst AR [Care Package]
    Damage increased to 23 (was 20)
    Headshot Multiplier increased to 1.8 (was 1.75)
    Improved recoil
    Integrated Boosted Loader Hop-Up
    Boosted Loader: Faster reloads at low ammo that overload the magazine with 9 extra rounds

Mastiff
    Spread pattern adjusted to be tighter
    Added Tactical Stocks attachment to improve reload speed and handling
    Increased projectile size at close range

Peacekeeper
    Added Tactical Stocks attachment to improve reload speed and handling

EVA-8

Rampage LMG [Floor]
    Reverted to non-Care Package version
    Damage reduced to 26 (was 28 in Care Package)
    No longer auto-energizes when picking up
    Energy decays slower when not firing

LEGENDS
    Seer

Passive - Heartbeat Sensor
    Audio from Seer’s passive is now more audible to enemy players
    Activation is now delayed to match raise animation of weapon or unarmed
    Lock-On indication will now only show on heartbeat cadence of target
    Tactical - Focus of Attention
    No longer shows full body scan on scanned targets
    Ultimate: Exhibit
    No longer reveals on initiation
    Duration reduced from 30s to 25s
    Cooldown increased from 120s to 180s

Bloodhound
    Passive - Tracker
    White Ravens
    Ethereal White Ravens will now occasionally spawn near Bloodhound when no enemies are around.
    White Ravens can be interacted with or scanned to trigger them to fly towards the nearest enemy player
    The White Raven will leave a misty trail behind for Bloodhound to follow, and will share this direction with their team on the map.
    Using a White Raven will recover 25% Tactical / Ultimate charge
    Scanning a White Raven will fully refund the Tactical Charge
    Tactical - Eye of the Allfather
    Reduced full body scan time from 3s to 1s
    Diamond target on scanned enemy is unchanged
    Ultimate - Beast of the Hunt
    No longer recharges or speeds up the cooldown rate of Bloodhound’s Tactical
    Will launch a White Raven that flies towards the nearest enemy
    Killing an enemy while in Beast of the Hunt will also trigger a White Raven

Mirage
    Passive - Now you see me…
    Mirage and his ally now remain cloaked after a revive for 3s
    Weapons remain stowed while cloaked
    Drawing your weapon will remove the cloaking effect early
    Mirage Clones
    Bamboozles are now only triggered by bullet fire and melee
    Enemies who are bamboozled now receive notification on their screen
    Bamboozle icon marker now tracks the Bamboozled player’s movement
    Bamboozle icon marker duration increased from 2.5s to 3.5s

Pathfinder
    Passive - Insider Knowledge
    Pathfinder’s passive benefits are no longer gained by scanning Survey Beacons
    Pathfinder’s passive benefits (Ultimate charge and 10s Ultimate Cooldown reduction) are now gained by revealing Care Packages with the Skirmisher ability
    Ultimate - Zipline Gun
    Max Range increased by ~60%.
    Max Speed increased by 66%.
    Acceleration and exit speed adjustments.
    Targeting improvements, including updated visual and audio cues.
    Can no longer place the end station on OOB zones.

Wraith
    Ultimate - Dimensional Rift
    Max Portal Distance has been doubled (~76m to 152m)
    Portal Duration reduced from 60s to 45s
    Wraith now increases speed over time when creating longer portals

Horizon
    Tactical - Gravity Lift
    Increased weapon spread in Gravity Lift
    Increased vertical speed of Gravity Lift by 10%

Lifeline
    Passive - Combat Revive
    Reduced the slow penalty on Lifeline when initiating a revive
    Ultimate - Care Package
    Decreased the drop animation speed of Care Package from 14s to 8s
    Increased the deployment range of Care Package

RANKED - MAP ROTATION
    Ranked queue will now rotate through all maps in play, 24 hours per map. The maps for the first split are:
    World's Edge
    Storm Point
    Broken Moon

LIVEAPI 2.0
    Official release of version 2.0 of Live API for PC previewed during 15.1.2. The API is a built-in mechanism for listening to gameplay events and programmatically interacting with Apex Legends. This release includes:

Support for WebSockets server connection
    Support for Protocol Buffers (protobuf) to send and receive data
    Configuration through both command line and JSON
    12 new API requests, including
    2 gameplay requests: ChangeCamera and PauseToggle
    10 lobby requests specifically for Custom Match
    More information, including technical documentation, can be found in the LiveAPI folder of the game installation.

QUALITY OF LIFE
    - Added map rotation previews to the game mode selector in the lobby.
    - Players can now be any team in Gun Run.
    - Increased the odds of becoming Team Nessie in Gun Run.
    - Team Nessie is now viewable for all teams.
    - Added new indicator on HUD unit frames for the Ratings Leader in Control.
    - Consumables now show a progress bar for teammates next to their unit frame on the HUD. Similar to reviving.
    - Added damage to the scoreboard in Control.
    - Increased the minimum distance between airdropped replicators and other airdrops.
    - Map Features when accessing the Full Map now reflect currently selected Class Perk info. Additionally, the Hot Zone map feature description is removed from the Full Map while the Hot Zone is hidden from the map.
    - When in Firing Range, players now regain full health and shields when they reselect their legend in the legend select menu.
    - Added ability to ping for an optic even if the optic attachment slot is filled.
    - Slightly increased audio for enemies attaching, riding, and detaching from Ziprails.
    - Adding Credits to Items inspired and designed by Creators.

BUG FIXES
    - Fix for Crypto’s drone reticle not being centered when on 16:10 resolutions.
    - Fix for players not being able to emote if they were dead during the champion sequence.
    - [Control] Fixed an issue where the MRB disappears if the player holding it leaves the match.
    - Various UI bugs and improvements to the private match flow.
    - Various bug fixes to some cosmetic items.
    - Fix for the weapon camera in the Loadouts tab not resetting to the correct position when exiting a weapon from the Charms subtab.
    - Fix for footer buttons in the seasonal quest not being clickable.
    - Fix for the players' crosshairs being present sometimes during the champion sequence.
    - The hide hints option no longer hides the waving person icon on items your teammates can use.
    - Fixed a bug where if a team was empty in Gun Run the HUD would display incorrect information.
    - [Emotes] fix for emotes camera sometimes passing through walls.
    - Removed exploit that allowed players to remain out of bounds longer than intended.
    - [Seer]Fixed an issue where Seer’s ultimate could be crushed by swinging doors.
    - [Seer]Fixed an issue where Seer’ s ultimate and Crypto’s drones would block large sliding doors.
    - [Seer] Fix for cases where Seer would have issues scanning Crypto.
    - [Seer] Fix for when Seer's passive heartbeat sensor works through Catalyst's ult when placed on uneven surfaces.
    - [Seer] Fix for cases here Seer’s tactical can get users stuck if used when they are crafting.
    - [Valkyrie] Fixed bug where her animation warps in the in-flight meal emote.
    - [Newcastle] Fixed bug where the Ultimate is not refunded/is not placed if a user is getting hit with Seer Tactical right when using it.
    - [Crypto] Fixed an issue where Crypto’s drone would be destroyed when he’s knocked but not eliminated.
    - [Crypto] Fix for bug where Crypto’s Drone scanning can block Catalyst from reinforcing doors.
    - [Crypto] Fix for cases where his Ultimate stops from deploying if Crypto gets downed
    - [Catalyst] Fixed bug where their Tactical makes it difficult to interact with ziplines, death boxes, and loot bins.
    - Fixed bug where the player is unable to use melee attacks through Catalyst's Ultimate.
    - Fixed an issue where players could be stuck after being hit by Seer’s tactical while using a crafting station.
    - Fixed an issue where Seer’s move speed would be higher when in ADS while unarmed with the heartbeat sensor disabled.
    - Fixed an issue where Crypto would not be scanned by Seer’s tactical while he was piloting his drone and the drone was not also hit by the tactical.
    - [Vantage] Reduce the number of accidental tactical activations on controller when pulling out or putting away the ultimate with both bumpers.
    - [Vantage] Increase visibility of Sniper's mark by adding on-screen prompt, similar to scans.
    - [Vantage] Using tactical in areas blocked by geo, can result in the player getting launched into the air
    - Fixed an issue where when Newcastle’s Ultimate was interrupted it would not correctly refund his Ultimate.
    - Fixed an issue where Newcastle would continue to target allies while phased with his Ultimate.
    - Fixed a rare issue were Newcastle’s tactical could get hung in the air and not deploy
    - Fixed an issue with the Black Hole that allowed it to pull players through walls and around corners incorrectly.
    - Fixed an issue where swapping legends in Firing Range would crash if bleeding out as Revenant.
    - Fixed an issue where swapping legends in Firing Range while in Crypto’s drone would crash.
    - Fixed an issue where Newcastle’s ultimate could fail to deploy on landing.
    - Fixed an issue where a spectator swapping between two players being healed by DOC would crash the spectator.
    - [Lifeline] Fixed ultimate cooldown appearing to need 101% charge.
    - Fixed an issue where the Ultimate is ready prompt could appear while the player is still skydiving.
    - Fixed bug where the previous Season rank is being shown on enemy gladiator cards.
    - Reduced accidental launches on controller.
    - [DX12] Fixed missing error popup on launch for unsupported hardware.
    - [DX12] Fixed an issue where some emissive textures would not appear in third person.

Offers will be available as follows:
    Week 1: Offer starts at 10am PT on February 14th and end at 9:59am PT on February 21st
    Week 2: Offer starts at 10am PT on February 21st and end at 9:59am PT on February 28th

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Seems like some decent changes. I hope they nerfed seer into the ground. BH changes seem to reward high skill play and not his ult be as much of an easy button.

Also big mirage buff.

edited February 2023
    Looks promising.

You'd think Respawn murdered every last one of the Mirage mains' houseplants by the way some of them are whining on Reddit about being stuck in the Skirmisher class, however.

Forar on
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Mirage's revive buff is ridiculous, so it's probably people who never bother to revive.

I'm sure it'll still end in tears plenty of times, but yeah, a gold knockdown review with Mirage followed by the revivee popping a cell while wearing Gold armour, oh yeah, right back in the fight and nearly at full!

Not as infuriating as the old self rez could be with a gold bag, but there's potential for some salt all the same.

• OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    New Mirage is great! Lifeline's ult and rez buff is GREAT!

Bloodhound's now a buggy mess. He was clean and simple, and they've complicated and glitched him into ruin!

Nemesis is WAY too powerful.

Team Deathmatch is a nightmare. Every game is supposed to be best of 3, but after round one the losing team loses 5 people, so it's 6v1 and the game will NOT end if the last remaining enemy leaves, so you're in a void forever.

Actually worse than Arenas, and we got 3 weeks of it!

Passive class diversity is neat, and maybe we won't see as any octane/pathfinder/wraith teams in mid-plat ranked!

Yeah they really, really need to put in a mercy rule if 3 or more people quit or have a much more aggressive solution for joining a match in progress or both (preferably both).

• mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    TDM can be fun but I don’t understand how they missed the mark this badly.

1) TTK is just too long with blue shields. Gun run has everybody with white shields, which gives you a vague shot at turning around a 1v2 situation. The longer the TTK, the bigger the advantage of a premade squad running around as a pack. Drop the shields to white or maybe even remove them.

2) The rounds thing is silly. I actually played one full match that went 3 rounds, that took forever. 30 kills is plenty long enough for an entire TDM match. If they absolutely must have rounds, do rounds of 15 or something.

3) You can’t have TDM without backfilling players. COD and Halo had this shit figured out 20 years ago. Fix it.

4) Care package weapons are whatever when half the rounds you can start with an R99 or nemesis. Make the starting loadouts with weaker (and less kitted) guns so there’s a real incentive to fight over care packages. Building on 1, downgrade everyone to white shields and throw a couple blues in the packs

5) Party crasher is a terrible TDM map. Skull and habitat both play much better.

Hot off the presses, via Reddit

x3talg59dof4.jpg

Played some TDM post change and I have some random thoughts:

-This has proven beyond a doubt that there's a range past which I can't hit the broad side of a barn, it's really embarrassing. I don't know if I'm used to playing games that help my shot out more (almost certainly) or what but I need a lot of practice just shooting.

-This is probably a personal taste thing but the arenas feel a hair big for 12 people, particularly Party Crasher. It's partially that I'm terrible but I did well in Skulltown, ok in Habitat, and just got fully destroyed in a few games in Party Crasher.

-It's interesting to hear that some people feel like the TTK is a little long because it definitely feels lightning quick when I'm dying :D

-But seriously, it does feel a little weird to have so much emphasis on raw gun skill in Apex, it's what I need the most practice with so I can't complain but having there be no real meta layer of watching for upgrades, or getting better stuff as I stay alive longer, or looking for bins, or anything does feel less Apex-ish.

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Started Apex for the first time in a while to check things out. One thing I'll grant TDM is it's super easy to get those daily "get X kills" tasks, at least for those of us who only play casually. I'd dread when I was on the Battle Pass and got a daily for 10 kills or assists, because with a bit of bad luck that'd take me a couple hours. Now it can be done in 1-2 rounds.

The Nemesis is OP as fuck, and is destined for a nerf in the near future.

Enjoy it while it lasts, because even low skill players like me are lighting people up with it.

Had a game go to 1,971 damage on its back. I’d be annoyed at falling just short of a 2k (what could have been my 3rd), but that’s my best damage showing in like a year and a half.

New patch is definitely fun.
    @Peen - Respawn has actually discussed before that it's absolutely vital that gun skill is the #1 thing that helps you win and should stay that way. I finally picked up kovaaks so I can practice a bit, and apparently the new firing range is good for practice.

edited February 2023
    Oh 100%, I don't think gun skill shouldn't be the main thing, it's more that in other modes in Apex you get rewarded for staying alive longer (better guns, better armor, etc) and it's been an adjustment to realize that I can genuinely just focus on movement and positioning and aiming and whatnot.

I'm struggling with the urge to up my sensitivity, I feel like I would track better at closer ranges with higher sensitivity but I also know that my sticks get really squirrely at any kind of range with higher sens and that's what I need to be better at.

Edit: I also know that I should probably spend a little time in the firing range when I boot the game up, I'm terrible about warming up.

Peen on
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    The new team deathmatch is fun until the teams become imbalanced. Hopefully Respawn can sort that out soon.

At least they took the feedback about trimming it back from 3 rounds to 30, to 1 round to 50.

They definitely need to make it so the winning team isn't stuck because the losers were, well, poor sports and bailed out.

Adding a punishment to reduce the eagerness with which people bail on matches seems necessary too. Doesn't need to be Draconian, but like a 5 minute time out on matchmaking or something.

Of course, I've played enough online games to know that at best they'll just AFK in base, as people did in Arenas, or run right at the enemy to die faster if they're feeling particularly malicious (the 'run down mid and feed' of DotA2).

We're not going to 100% rule our way out of people being assholes, but hopefully they can strike a balance that keeps the majority focused.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    No Apex mode has ever had proper backfill. Nobody ever joins, and I have never joined a match in progress.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    I don’t think abandon penalties are the answer, proper backfill is. I’ve left probably half a dozen games in the last few days where we were up 30-10 or something ridiculous. I don’t need to sit here for ten minutes and spawn camp the three guys left on the other team that were trying to be good sports, let me leave and drop into a different match.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I ended up the only person remaining on the team at least a dozen times when I was running the holiday train mode. As soon as another team got two points, people just bailed. It was a super frustrating side to an otherwise great playlist.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    The new class tweaks to the Assault and Support classes feel fairly intuitive but I'm still wrapping my head around the new interactibles for the other classes

I don't know that I've seen the ring console or a crafted banner once yet

I take absolute glee in checking future rings as Rampart and Caustic.

I've only crafted banners once, except as I was doing it one of the two players disconnected and abandoned the game, while still recoverable (I'm aware the crafted banners don't care, I mean they weren't even grey yet).

In ranked.

Yeah, it was only mid Bronze, but someone decided to eat a 10 minute time out and double entry fee for no explicable reason.

Much like the LTMs, just having 3 people who will stick it out no matter what is such a huge advantage. Just showing up being there is like two thirds of the fight.

hot take: I think I still prefer the Hemlok over the Nemesis, but then that's probably because I'm a Hemmy main when given the opportunity to wield it

The red tier care package Hemlok is *chef's kiss*

The Hemlock has a range advantage, with the single fire it’s usable at longer ranges than the nemesis. The problem is once it charges up the Nemesis drops people much faster than the care package Hemi.

The Nemesis almost has a similar problem to the charge rifle for me, where the bullets are so darn zippy and the timing of the bursts is a little funny, so where I know the Hemlok and Prowler bursts by heart I tend to miss half my shots with the Nemesis

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    I just had a game with 3 Kraber kills (including a quick scope and the game winner) that I couldn't record because it was my first game after having been forcibly migrated to the EA Desktop launcher from Origin and didn't realize that it bugs Shadowplay.

<--- this is not my pleased face

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    EA desktop launcher? Why not steam?

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    If it's the same as other EA games, the Launcher opens automatically even when you run a game from Steam.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    If it's the same as other EA games, the Launcher opens automatically even when you run a game from Steam.

It isn't, actually. It pops up a prompt for EA login on first launch, but Apex on Steam doesn't use the EA launcher.

BlazeFire wrote: »
    Because I was playing on Origin since release, which predates Steam access by a year and a half.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Because I was playing on Origin since release, which predates Steam access by a year and a half.

But why not move to steam when origin shut down?

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    In my case, I preferred Origin to Steam, but now that we're forcibly moved to the terrible EA app, I'm going to switch over to Steam.

It should be possible to transfer the files from EA to Steam but it can be finicky by copying the files to /steamapps/common/Apex Legends and then starting the download but I've had issues before where Steam ignores the files and downloads the whole thing anyways.

If you're used to switching accounts though, playing on Steam is not an option because you have to unlink/link your EA account.

Someone just pointed out that Lifeline's ult is the only way to get purple armor in TDM and I feel like a complete dumbass for not realizing that sooner.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Yeah I had a bunch of weird bugs in EA Play and just installed the steam version instead. So much better.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK

Because the problem cropped up literally yesterday, when Origin itself finally forcibly made the migration for me.

Why are you like this?

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    edited February 2023

Because the problem cropped up literally yesterday, when Origin itself finally forcibly made the migration for me.

Why are you like this?

Like what? I thought origin had been "done" a while ago.

BlazeFire on

Why are you like this?

Like what? I thought origin had been "done" a while ago.
    You thought wrong.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    Okay, good chat.

Why are you like this?