As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Vox Morkina

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin

Vox Morkina!

Penny Arcade - Comic - Vox Morkina

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

• oh3fiftyoneoh3fiftyone Registered User regular
    I don’t know if I can pick my least favorite thing about the internet right now, but the extremely loose application of the term “boomer” is in the running.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Gabe should launch a drone out of his chimney and follow the kids home, that'll scare 'em straight

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I don’t know if I can pick my least favorite thing about the internet right now, but the extremely loose application of the term “boomer” is in the running.

Seeing as how "Millennials" was applied to everything that old people didn't understand until maybe two years back, turnabout is fair play

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited February 2023

Seeing as how "Millennials" was applied to everything that old people didn't understand until maybe two years back, turnabout is fair play

Mostly fair. I think the only downside is that it really wasn't Gen X calling Gen Z "Millenials". It was mostly Boomers and Silents and the cranky online articles they wrote. Like, my wife is just one year away from Millenials. I know what that they're not much younger than me.

It's okay, though. Boomer is more of a state of mind, and Gen X is getting there.

dennis on

Okay, but I’m a Millennial so that just means I spent years being blamed for things that have nothing to do with me and now I get called a boomer.

Okay, but I’m a Millennial so that just means I spent years being blamed for things that have nothing to do with me and now I get called a boomer.

Yeah, that's annoying

I solve that by never engaging with The Youth of Today

With their Ticky Tocks and their YouTube personalities

edited February 2023
    Plus, the oldest Gen Zs are in their mid 20s, so now they'll start to get called Boomers by the actual youth, too. Probably by people at the other end of Gen Z, which is even better punishment.

dennis on
  • GrendusGrendus Registered User regular

Yeah, I had a Gen Alpha kid call me a Boomer once. Now listen here you little shit! You see a lawn for me to yell at you to get off? That's because I spent all the money I don't have on avocado toast, apparently, instead of buying an overpriced old house half an hours drive away from anything worth doing and with a massive front yard I can't use for anything but have to constantly mow.

But at least we killed Applebees. Except we didn't. But we almost did. And that would have been worth it. Fuck Applebees.

Grendus wrote: »

Yeah, I had a Gen Alpha kid call me a Boomer once. Now listen here you little shit! You see a lawn for me to yell at you to get off? That's because I spent all the money I don't have on avocado toast, apparently, instead of buying an overpriced old house half an hours drive away from anything worth doing and with a massive front yard I can't use for anything but have to constantly mow.

But at least we killed Applebees. Except we didn't. But we almost did. And that would have been worth it. Fuck Applebees.

Well I own a home, but I used a VA home loan because I went and fought in one of the two simultaneous wars the boomers started. So thanks for that, I guess, boomers.

• OverkillengineOverkillengine Registered User regular

Applebees should have just offered avocado toast. Ez money.

• Emperor MegamanEmperor Megaman Registered User regular
    A couple weeks ago, I was discussing with people of various ages, and the youngest of us said he was already feeling the early signs of grumpyness at these elementary school kids, concluded that it will be hillarious when he'll get older and the kids use "Millenials" to mean grumpy old person.

Applebees should have just offered avocado toast. Ez money.

Stephen Applebee says, "Does my name look like Avocadobees to you? Get the fuck out of my overpriced restaurant!"

edited February 2023
    A couple weeks ago, I was discussing with people of various ages, and the youngest of us said he was already feeling the early signs of grumpyness at these elementary school kids, concluded that it will be hillarious when he'll get older and the kids use "Millenials" to mean grumpy old person.

"I used to be with ‘it’, but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it’ anymore and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary. It’ll happen to you!" -- Abraham Simpson

As true today as when the Simpsons first said it. That's a show us boomers grew up with.

Fun fact: The Simpsons first aired closer to the building of the pyramids than to the present day.

dennis on

Have you tried yelling at them to get off your landlord's lawn?

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    You can't threaten them with the devil. They're so over that shit.

You need to try something much scarier, like talking about how the gross profits made by fossil fuel companies will lead to the end of TikTok, BMC, KSI, and Tidepods.

All that they hold dear shall be stricken from their blackened hearts and cast down into oblivion, like so many Barbie movie reboots.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »

"I used to be with ‘it’, but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it’ anymore and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary. It’ll happen to you!" -- Abraham Simpson

As true today as when the Simpsons first said it. That's a show us boomers grew up with.

Fun fact: The Simpsons first aired closer to the building of the pyramids than to the present day.

Honestly, weird sure, but scary, I've never really gotten why my compatriots seem to find the strange young fads so scary and discombobulating. Like, come on, were any of our own fads any less silly and odd when looked at from the outside? I'd need to actually sit down and understand the context to get a lot of what the kids are about, that's true - but that's the nature of things, if you don't know the context everything is weird and a microwave is magic.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular

On the other hand, some things eternally return, in cycles. Remember ALF? He's back! In pog form.

• DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    It's not so much ding dong ditch that bothers me, but rather the inevitable TikTok asshole kids who'll film themselves doing it while calling it a "Doorbell hack", explaining to others what a doorbell is and how to use it, like they were the first to ever figure out ding dong ditch.

Djiem on
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I don't care about being called a boomer. Maybe I would get angry at tiktok if I could figure out how to navigate that site, but I can't.

• OverkillengineOverkillengine Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Djiem wrote: »
    It's not so much ding dong ditch that bothers me, but rather the inevitable TikTok asshole kids who'll film themselves doing it while calling it a "Doorbell hack", explaining to others what a doorbell is and how to use it, like they were the first to ever figure out ding dong ditch.

That's like every generation. Old People become Uncool Fuddy Duddies, and The Hip Youth Know Everything. And then the generational cycle repeats.

Old man yells at Cloud

Overkillengine on
    Djiem wrote: »

That's like every generation. Old People become Uncool Fuddy Duddies, and The Hip Youth Know Everything. And then the generational cycle repeats.

Old man yells at Cloud

It's a little bit extra with generation tiktok, because they all want to be performing for a world-wide audience. It's the same basic thing, but cranked up to 11.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "In the future, everyone will be famous for fifteen minutes."
    -- some old guy

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I remember reading about something a while back called "micro eras" or "micro generations" or something like that. The concept being that everything is massively accelerated now because of the internet. And in the past where a person might associate with being a child of the 80's, or being a child of the 90's, that can't happen anymore because culture, and what's hip and trendy, and what the kids these days are doing is moving too rapidly. It's more like "I'm a child of this 3 month window where people were saying and doing X on the internet."

edited February 2023
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I remember reading about something a while back called "micro eras" or "micro generations" or something like that. The concept being that everything is massively accelerated now because of the internet. And in the past where a person might associate with being a child of the 80's, or being a child of the 90's, that can't happen anymore because culture, and what's hip and trendy, and what the kids these days are doing is moving too rapidly. It's more like "I'm a child of this 3 month window where people were saying and doing X on the internet."

And even "child of the '80s" and "child of the '90s" was already sped up.

Of course, "they" define generations is wonky. Lost were 18 years. Greatest were 27. Silents were 18. Boomers were 19. The last three completed ones since have all been 16. Part of it is having fewer world-defining events. But another part is probably faster moving pop culture.

dennis on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    You're right, but isn't it just like, when one generation has kids, that's the next generation? Then when they have kids, etc.?

So roughly every 25 years or so, depending on birth rates?

MichaelLC on
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    You're right, but isn't it just like, when one generation has kids, that's the next generation? Then when they have kids, etc.?

Sort of? But it hasn't been 25 years for a long time. And if you think about it, people had kids younger as you go back in the past, so generations should be getting longer. Of course, people often had kids for like, 15 or more years back then as well, so then it gets even fuzzier as to generations. It's never been a concept that mapped cleanly on reality.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular

Within a family maybe. But when working on the societal level that's no division to draw that kind of line, and an arbitrary birth rate interval isn't what the whole system is trying to do, it's trying to group people by broadly shared formative experience, hence the bottom end of the Greatest being mostly the children of the top row.

As long as you don't get too specific the system does hold up superficially... Except for Millennials, who have a very distinct digital migrant/digital native split. The upper half share more with X than they do with the lower half, many of us were still the feral unattended spawn of boomers running the street with the weak becoming episodes of Unsolved Mysteries, with rotary phones on the wall and duck and cover drills at school and along with Gen X we adapted to the September That Never Ended when it came, but we became adults in an era where the internet and mobile devices were still luxuries. But the bottom half were the children of those feral boomer spawn, whole new concepts of overparenting emerged in the wake of that mess, they grew up with the internet and became adults in the era of ubiquitous connection.

• GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    I showed my wife this comic because we had some teens ding dong ditch and she was confused and couldn't decide if she was supposed to be concerned or whatever, but much like with Gabe, the response to the doorbell ringing when we're not expecting anyone was to glance at the doorbell app, and see giggling teens running away. I don't think the dog even barked or anything. Better that than batting mailboxes or throwing bottles at stop signs.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

Sort of? But it hasn't been 25 years for a long time. And if you think about it, people had kids younger as you go back in the past, so generations should be getting longer. Of course, people often had kids for like, 15 or more years back then as well, so then it gets even fuzzier as to generations. It's never been a concept that mapped cleanly on reality.

Yeah it has definitely shifted older across the world.

Media labeling of different generations is just one of those things that annoy me; where they'll just use whatever term they want that fits the story.

I'm sure it's totally unrelated to me being part of the "Forgotten Generation."

edited February 2023
    It just occurred to me another way in which the comic (and the practice of what I think I remember we called "ring and run", but I was never "cool" enough to have been part of it so what do I know) is funny. As they and other posters have pointed out, it's a practice which is losing all meaning, given that more and more people just look at their doorbell video and are not in the slightest inconvenienced. It's a boomer tradition, that is meaningless in this high tech world.

So you have the high tech generation performing a low tech ritual, and being thwarted by a low tech generation using their technology.

dennis on
    They plus size to the kids is Amazon can face and body scan them, match to their database based on buying habits within the neighborhood plus other camera data, then send them personalized coupons to their email for faster shoes or whatever.

It just occurred to me another way in which the comic (and the practice of what I think I remember we called "ring and run", but I was never "cool" enough to have been part of it so what do I know) is funny. As they and other posters have pointed out, it's a practice which is losing all meaning, given that more and more people just look at their doorbell video and are not in the slightest inconvenienced. It's a boomer tradition, that is meaningless in this high tech world.

So you have the high tech generation performing a low tech ritual, and being thwarted by a low tech generation using their technology.

The equivalent would be sending a WhatsApp message saying "I'm outside" then running away

Or spoofing a food delivery alert

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Today's youths just turned it up to 11 with SWAT-ing and doxxing.

Why ding, dong, ditch when you can pound, shout, blast?

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

Why ding, dong, ditch when you can pound, shout, blast?
    That's something completely different.

sig.gif
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular

but elder millenials are getting boomer'd by the kids!

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle