As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Rent Free

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin

Rent Free!

Penny Arcade - Comic - Rent Free

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Wow, that, uh... went places.

• Options
    OverkillengineOverkillengine Registered User regular
    Man I am starting to wonder what the late fee on their therapy bills are like.

Haha who am I kidding, therapy? More like keep it swaddled in layers of malformed coping mechanisms for a few decades until it becomes time to choose which nursing home their parents are going to. 🤪

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Wow, that, uh... went places.
    Suspiciously specific, one might say.

sig.gif
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Man I am starting to wonder what the late fee on their therapy bills are like.

Haha who am I kidding, therapy? More like keep it swaddled in layers of malformed coping mechanisms for a few decades until it becomes time to choose which nursing home their parents are going to. 🤪

Perhaps creating a comic strip about such topics *is* their therapy!

• Options
    GrendusGrendus Registered User regular
    Jerry has talked about his childhood being... not entirely idyllic, so I'm not surprised.

That said, I do have a bit of nostalgia for Blockbuster. Not for the late fees (those were probably the reason they died in the first place) but there was something special about browsing the racks of video games and finding some hidden gem. It did help that the era between the NES and the N64 (and the equivalent systems from Sony and Sega) saw a ton of excellent AA games published. These days, those kinds of games would be digital only, not enough demand to print and ship discs around the world. But man, picking up something like Azure Dreams or Brave Fencer Musashi and discovering games that would become a lifelong obsession on a whim was an incredible feeling.

Picking out games on Gamepass or PS+ Extra just doesn't have the same tension. If it turns out to be shit you're out an hours worth of download time. Back then, that was your weekend, if the game wasn't good it didn't matter, you gritted your teeth and played because that was all you had and you had to make that $5 worth it. There was an air of excitement and tension that's lost.

• Options
    FireballDragonFireballDragon Registered User regular
    Even one of the few good things you can recall from your childhood after scouring through the extra-dense layers of memories of being preyed upon by your mindlessly cruel, conformist so-called "peers" can be not as fun and as harmless as you want to remember it to be.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Blockbuster never had an integrated system for inventory control between stores. If you rented something from Blockbuster X and returned it to Blockbuster Y, it was on Blockbuster Y to call Blockbuster X and tell them that you had returned the rental. If no one called, X would just charge you late fees.

This also meant that anyone who called Blockbuster X and identified themselves as Blockbuster Y could preemptively cancel late fees by saying the rental had been returned to their store. X had no way to check and would only notice something was wrong when Y failed to deliver the rental back to X. Depending on the personnel involved and the relationship between stores, Blockbuster X would often just write off the missing rental without following up with Blockbuster Y.

Later on, Netflix and Gamefly would offer subscription services for "keep it as long as you want" style rentals, which not only saved money vs the upfront rental fee, but also meant you didn't have to remember to call Blockbuster and get your late fees canceled.

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Grendus wrote: »
    Jerry has talked about his childhood being... not entirely idyllic, so I'm not surprised.

That said, I do have a bit of nostalgia for Blockbuster. Not for the late fees (those were probably the reason they died in the first place) but there was something special about browsing the racks of video games and finding some hidden gem. It did help that the era between the NES and the N64 (and the equivalent systems from Sony and Sega) saw a ton of excellent AA games published. These days, those kinds of games would be digital only, not enough demand to print and ship discs around the world. But man, picking up something like Azure Dreams or Brave Fencer Musashi and discovering games that would become a lifelong obsession on a whim was an incredible feeling.

Picking out games on Gamepass or PS+ Extra just doesn't have the same tension. If it turns out to be shit you're out an hours worth of download time. Back then, that was your weekend, if the game wasn't good it didn't matter, you gritted your teeth and played because that was all you had and you had to make that $5 worth it. There was an air of excitement and tension that's lost.

Or the secret guilty joy of renting an RPG and finding the previous renter had named all the party members dirty words.
    Or the devastation when re-renting the same game the next week, only to find your carefully crafted party had been deleted (or was stuck on the other cartridge the store had for rent), and you would never see them again.

• Options
    Armored ChocoboArmored Chocobo Registered User regular
    My mom just threw the NES down the stairs. Twice.

Still worked.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Our local grocery store rented movies and I seem to remember them having the setup where if your late fee accumulated to the shelf price of the movie, it just capped there and you owned the movie. Which frankly makes way more sense than being able to accumulate hundreds of dollars in fees for a single movie.

It was kind of funny though, because this small town grocery was still renting and selling movies well into the Netflix era. The dropping price of movies meant that you could "rent to buy" just by being about a week late...

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Did they get to play a pre-release version of Sea of Stars somehow? It's not out till August. Was there a demo in NextFest and I just missed it?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    There's a link to a Demo on the Switch eShop page: https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/sea-of-stars-switch/

76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I often have dreams where I've rented something, and I need to return it or I'll have late fees, but I can't remember where I rented it from. Sometimes it's games, sometimes it's a movie.

They aren't exactly nightmares, but there's usually a stress element involved.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I get that people are mostly joking about the trauma thing, but I do think that in this regard in particular we could afford to cut our parents a little bit of slack.

If you found out, for example, that your kid spent $300 on Clash of Clans on your phone, do you think you might take the phone away? And as a parent, I'd love to say I'd definitely do that while having a thoughtful conversation with my child about prudent spending and being careful on the internet, and make sure never to let my emotions get the better of me. But...parenting is really hard and kids can be jerks sometimes! And parents don't magically gain the ability to always do everything the way Llama Llama or Bluey's mom does it. (I will reiterate that I am talking about this specific example only, which does not involve violence or abuse which are never excusable).

This is not to say that having your game taken away after an honest mistake isn't hurtful, especially if your parents weren't super nice about how they did it. But also, we're grownups now and maybe we understand a bit how hard it is?

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Or the devastation when re-renting the same game the next week, only to find your carefully crafted party had been deleted (or was stuck on the other cartridge the store had for rent), and you would never see them again.

I first beat the original Final Fantasy via rentals. Because the instruction book was so huge, they attached it to the rental case with a rubber band. On my second rental (after learning that they had multiple copies the hard way, as indicated here), I replaced their rubber band with a suspicious red one (IIRC from my paper route?) and would request that version when renting out the copy I had just returned that same day. It worked!

• Options
    edited February 2023
    I get that people are mostly joking about the trauma thing, but I do think that in this regard in particular we could afford to cut our parents a little bit of slack.

If you found out, for example, that your kid spent $300 on Clash of Clans on your phone, do you think you might take the phone away? And as a parent, I'd love to say I'd definitely do that while having a thoughtful conversation with my child about prudent spending and being careful on the internet, and make sure never to let my emotions get the better of me. But...parenting is really hard and kids can be jerks sometimes! And parents don't magically gain the ability to always do everything the way Llama Llama or Bluey's mom does it. (I will reiterate that I am talking about this specific example only, which does not involve violence or abuse which are never excusable).

This is not to say that having your game taken away after an honest mistake isn't hurtful, especially if your parents weren't super nice about how they did it. But also, we're grownups now and maybe we understand a bit how hard it is?

Sure but that that requires empathy for Old People, and realizing they weren't always in an ideal situation themselves and that a pile of unexpected late fees could be financially devastating or the straw on the camel's back to a shitty month filled with physically and/or emotionally debilitating menial labor. Granted, they could also be dicks who never should have become parents on top of that, but demonizing them for not being perfect at all times also isn't going to make them magically grow better parenting skills either.

Old People Are Stupid, Let's Throw Rocks At Them.

Overkillengine on
  • Options
    GrendusGrendus Registered User regular

Sure but that that requires empathy for Old People, and realizing they weren't always in an ideal situation themselves and that a pile of unexpected late fees could be financially devastating or the straw on the camel's back to a shitty month filled with physically and/or emotionally debilitating menial labor. Granted, they could also be dicks who never should have become parents on top of that, but demonizing them for not being perfect at all times also isn't going to make them magically grow better parenting skills either.

Old People Are Stupid, Let's Throw Rocks At Them.

IDK about you, but my parents kept track of when our rentals were due back and would hound me for that shit. When they went to return the movies, my games went back to. And if I kept them and incurred a late fee, I had to pay that myself (heck, I usually paid the original rental myself too).

• Options
    edited February 2023
    I mean as far as my personal childhood rental habits, my parents knew about every rental because I lived so far away from town that I literally had to get a ride from them, so for me late fees generally weren't an issue. But I could easily see some early teen or preteen living in town given some autonomy to pick up and drop off their own rentals because they were within walking or biking distance, with unintended results because, well, they're still kids and kids will sometimes make dumb choices that can be costly.

Overkillengine on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular

Still worked.

My mother cut the power chord. . .so I, desperate to play Bugs Bunny on the NES, cut the iron power cord and spliced it into the system.

. . .the whoopin' was only, slightly, worth it.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    Achievement Badge: Childhood Trauma unlocked!

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »

Still worked.

My mother cut the power chord. . .so I, desperate to play Bugs Bunny on the NES, cut the iron power cord and spliced it into the system.

The question is, did said whoopin come from your mom or from electricity?

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    ED! wrote: »

Still worked.

The question is, did said whoopin come from your mom or from electricity?

Or the former using the latter.

• Options
    Emperor MegamanEmperor Megaman Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    These smug faces in the first panel.

Still worked.

20 years ago, a friend had his little brother throw the NES at the wall twice with all the strength a temperamental 10 years old in good physical condition can possibly conjures.
    It still work to this day.

Emperor Megaman on