As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Killer Queen has already made the [JoJo's Bizarre Adventure] thread

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    That's not it. It's more:
    This is a thinking creature that has basically never meaningfully interacted with any other thinking creature, and which only acted to defend something it viewed as intrinsic part of itself. It did not act out of malice so much as considering humans a potentially existential threat to itself. Taught to socialize and to better understand itself and humans, it'd likely be no more a threat than any other superpowered human. Basically Jolyne is saying "it never had the chance to learn how to be a good person since it's barely used to being a person, so let's give it a chance."

Which is a surprisingly nuanced take for of all things 'dog-kickers-Jojo' to take but like, it's not wrong. It'd be like getting mad at like... a feral child for being a danger to others. Now I'm not sure if taking this Superpowered baby into a prison where they can totally kill a bunch of people is a great idea, but to be fair Jolyne kind of doesn't have a lot of options and needs all the help she can get to like, not die.

I know i just found it funny, because it was more or less just their reasoning to get to Speed's point

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    But its probably the only time it kinda makes sense, sans flesh buds.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Episode… 11? I think? The full fight with Jumpin’ Jack Flash.
    Does anyone know a good explanation for how JJF’s power caused the machine shop to become a hard vacuum?

I get the concept of the power spreading to the walls and floors that Jolene touched, making every object weightless. But I’m not grasping how that caused the air to escape the room. It’s not like the room was rising into the air, reaching a thinner atmosphere; that would logically cause the inner air to flow out to the lower pressure system. But I don’t know how making the walls and objects weightless caused the air to escape, even if there was a difference in weight between the air and the walls.

I’m not upset about this, of course. It allowed for a 0-G fight in a hard vacuum on Earth’s surface. And that’s just super cool. But I don’t really get how it works from the explanation given.

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    Episode 11 Jumpin' Jack Flash
    it makes zero sense

if anything, touching the walls and such should make those thing weightless but I don't think that should affect the structure that much as long as it's attached to solid weighted objects, and touching the air would make it weightless/less dense and cause an updraft up til the point where it's out of range and gains weight again

however rule of cool and all

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Does anyone know a good explanation for how JJF’s power caused the machine shop to become a hard vacuum?

I get the concept of the power spreading to the walls and floors that Jolene touched, making every object weightless. But I’m not grasping how that caused the air to escape the room. It’s not like the room was rising into the air, reaching a thinner atmosphere; that would logically cause the inner air to flow out to the lower pressure system. But I don’t know how making the walls and objects weightless caused the air to escape, even if there was a difference in weight between the air and the walls.

I’m not upset about this, of course. It allowed for a 0-G fight in a hard vacuum on Earth’s surface. And that’s just super cool. But I don’t really get how it works from the explanation given.
    I think the idea is that no weight really means no gravity, which means the gravity outside the room/range was attracting all the air with no competition.

I'm sure someone could explain why this doesn't actually work this way, but I'm pretty sure that's what Araki is going for.

Also if that was distracting, there's at least two moments later on that are going to destroy you. Hopefully in a good way.

Manga spoilers:
    Snails and flying rods, of course.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    edited December 2021

The way I read it was that anything Jolyne touches becoming weightless extended to the air itself. She was touching air constantly, so over time all the air around her became "weightless" and moved to parts of the world that weren't weightless.

Does this hold up scientifically? Prrrrrrrrrobably not. But I think that was what was supposed to be happening.

Moth 13 on
  • Options
    Moth 13 wrote: »

The way I read it was that anything Jolyne touches becoming weightless extended to the air itself. She was touching air constantly, so over time all the air around her became "weightless" and moved to parts of the world that weren't weightless.

Does this hold up scientifically? Prrrrrrrrrobably not. But I think that was what was supposed to be happening.

issue there is that they explicitly mention that the air is not being effected by the Stand

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Do they? I don't think they do.

Anyways I believe Araki's idea with has to do with pressure. Which no, wouldn't work like he thinks it does.
    His idea is that in a field of nullified gravitation, air would disperse to the point of being unbreathable. The issue being is I'm pretty sure the pressure outside of the radius would basically keep the air in at a roughly consistent pressure.

Gundi on
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    The air is explicitly being pulled by the surrounding gravity. "周りの重力に引かれて"

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    even if the air rushed out it would get replaced by unaffected air, which would then turn weightless and rush out again

it seems like instead of a vacuum the problem should've been the room turning into a constant whirlwind, which also seems like a more obvious type of obstacle for Weather Report to combat!
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Also if that was distracting, there's at least two moments later on that are going to destroy you. Hopefully in a good way.

Manga spoilers:
    Snails and flying rods, of course.
    honestly i think the snail thing might be more internally consistent

like it's batshit but the basic concept of very finely manipulating atmospheric pressure to create very specific mirages seems like it holds up to scrutiny

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Gundi wrote: »
    Do they? I don't think they do.

Anyways I believe Araki's idea with has to do with pressure. Which no, wouldn't work like he thinks it does.
    His idea is that in a field of nullified gravitation, air would disperse to the point of being unbreathable. The issue being is I'm pretty sure the pressure outside of the radius would basically keep the air in at a roughly consistent pressure.

I swear I can remember Jolene saying that. At least in the dub.

When I have some time, I can go back and check.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    re: that jojo mechanic discussion
    gravity interacts with gasses, keeps the atmosphere pulled onto the earth, so I guess he was thinking about something like that. But creating a vacuum in the middle of a gas in zero gravity wouldn't do anything to change the tendency of the gas around it to flow into lower pressure areas, that's not caused by gravity, that's just the way systems of loose particles behave in gravity or away from it.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Okay but where’s my Gwess Nendo

Speaking of Stone Ocean, the Shonen Jump app now has the first 8 chapters of the manga, with more on the way

I didn’t expect that to get translated until part 5 was done being released, so this is a very nice surprise

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7TaWDmO6aY

went back for a listen on the part 5 soundtrack

Freak'n You aside there really is some great stuff (just kidding, Freak'n You is also great)

also while i'm on the subject of Part 5 this MAD has always been bouncing around since before the anime aired
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjwlh5kDV0E

today i was looking for it again and someone actually did a version of this MAD with scenes taken from the anime, what an absolute mad lad
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAeuCaeLw_Y

Orphane on
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    gotta wait until there's enough of stone ocean out to recreate this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6WIUFZAJX8

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Just finished reading through Jojolion, and I dunno if I'm sure what I think.
    The plot was super confusing until the "some years earlier" flashback halfway through that explained what was going on, and that helped a lot, but my main problem was that, for want of a better phrase, I just didn't really care about the characters very much. (other than Joshu who made things a ton of fun any time he showed up). And while I get that the "now your stand power is just, like, way better than before and can defeat the enemy" thing isn't new, the whole 'soap bubbles are actually the spin from steel ball run' felt more than usually pulled out of thin air.

Otherwise, the stand powers were all more comprehensible-feeling than before, which was a nice change, there weren't times when I just could not understand what was going on -- and the ways that equivalent exchange worked were surprisingly consistent. (and the finale moment where Kaato drops Tsurugi on Tooru was a _great_ bit of payoff there).

I did feel as if the amount of body horror was more than usual, too, though I might just be misremembering previous ones.

Anyway, I'm glad to have read it, I'm just not sure it'll stick with me the way the other ones did.

• Options
    My kid has now finished reading all the way through Jojo, so I got him to rank them:
    8 Phantom blood
    7 Stone ocean
    6 JoJolion
    5 Golden wind
    4 Battle tendency
    3 Stardust crusaders
    2 Steel ball run
    1 Diamond is unbreakable

Also, I was poking around on Spotify recently and, well, one of these things is not like the others . . . or is it?

99uoeswbl602.png

• Options
    After mishearing and wondering if it was somehow a custom edit of Walk Like An Egyptian, I am amazed that nobody has done anything with it yet:

voss24xfdcsa.png

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    ok can someone explain to me what was going on in that maximum security fight?
    why did everyone get turned in to trees? Was it one of the stand users or was it just the bone doin' bone stuff to everyone?

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    why did everyone get turned in to trees? Was it one of the stand users or was it just the bone doin' bone stuff to everyone?
    Yeah it was the bone doing it.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Yeah it was the bone doing it.
    why though? The dude that makes invisible zombies used his power on it ... then what? Why does it suddenly have weird plant powers? Does all this get explained later or is it just Araki being random?

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Yes.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    sportsmax used his power to bring the bone to life and it automatically started working to enact dio's plan to bring about "heaven"

• Options
    The question you should instead ask is

"Do you believe in gravity?"

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Spoilers for Part 6
    David Productions has done a great job on JoJo OPs and version 2 for Part 6 is no exception.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    Part 9 first chapter just showed up!

So far, it's pretty jojo-y, I guess?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Continuing the fine tradition of giving Araki an excuse to take a vacation somewhere as a research trip

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    November Rain looks angry

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Continuing the fine tradition of giving Araki an excuse to take a vacation somewhere as a research trip

Im gonna wait for an official English translation because the fanlation I saw seems really rough but Dragona is probably trans but hiding it so thats neat

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    This is a heist movie set in the middle of Persona 5's school trip to Hawaii, with alternate-universe Giorno.

Yes.

• Options
    edited February 2023

Im gonna wait for an official English translation because the fanlation I saw seems really rough but Dragona is probably trans but hiding it so thats neat

You'll be waiting a while, Viz hasn't even started on Stone Ocean yet. Maybe the anime will get there first..

(huh, they haven't even finished Golden Wind, now that I check)

edit: no, I'm wrong, they've got partway through Stone Ocean, it's just only on their website, not in paper form yet.

djmitchella on
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Araki wanted to convey 3 main ideas in this chapter

1. "Police racism and brutality in America is fucked up, huh"
    2. "Here is a trans/non-binary character, I have no idea how to convey that without someone touching their junk and being surprised. This definitely bodes well for how i will write this chatacter."
    3. "Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul are tv shows that I, Hirohiko Araki, enjoyed to watch very much."

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    araki does not understand gender theory or subtlety

he does understand punching

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    araki does not understand gender theory or subtlety

he does understand punching

Araki understands growing up with younger sisters who are also twins

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options

You'll be waiting a while, Viz hasn't even started on Stone Ocean yet. Maybe the anime will get there first..

(huh, they haven't even finished Golden Wind, now that I check)

edit: no, I'm wrong, they've got partway through Stone Ocean, it's just only on their website, not in paper form yet.

Its on the jump app too

• Options
    Araki wanted to convey 3 main ideas in this chapter

1. "Police racism and brutality in America is fucked up, huh"
    2. "Here is a trans/non-binary character, I have no idea how to convey that without someone touching their junk and being surprised. This definitely bodes well for how i will write this chatacter."
    3. "Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul are tv shows that I, Hirohiko Araki, enjoyed to watch very much."

He has in the past tried to include gay and lesbian characters and editorial flat out shut him down. Introducing a presumably NB transfem probably killed somebody at Shueshia