As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dad of War: Axe Me About My Son[God of War]

1353637383941»

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    To be 100% clear there is nothing missable at all period.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I can't believe God of fucking war got me teary eyed. If you went back ten years and said that people would look at you like you were insane. The scene where kratos goes to his room to go to sleep. The look on his face. Fucking hell facial animation is so damn good now. About halfway done with the story and super impressed with pretty much everything. The combat, the story, the voice acting, just the whole package.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    nwrabenwrabe Insidious Squid Registered User regular
    Finished both games and they were terrific! As someone who had zero interest in the originals and playing a rage monster, the new ones really nailed a better tone and story that’s right up my alley.

Favorite moment:
    In the first game when Atreus finds out he’s a god and asks if he can turn into a wolf. Kratos looks away, toward the camera, and gets this panicked expression saying “C-can you turn into a wolf?” Like he was not ready to have The Talk with his son quite yet.

Followed up by Atreus trying to punch his way into a chest in the sequel.

However, Ragnarok now has the dubious distinction of being the first PlayStation game where a bugged trophy is stopping me from getting the platinum. A hilt never dropped from a side quest miniboss and never appeared in the blacksmith chest. So now I guess I have to wait and see if they fix it with a patch and spawn the item retroactively or if they add New Game+.
    It was the hilt from the Raven Keeper, so even if hilts and relics carry over into NG+ I’ll probably have to track down all the ravens again which means doing 90% of the main story since you can’t get the last ones until you meet Surtr. Not looking forward to that, but it might be interesting to see how fast things escalate when I’m not spending countless hours on side quests between story moments.

• Options
    Just got the platinum trophy. Personally the story with this one resonated way more for me then the last. I loved everything. Solid 9 out of 10. Definitely looking forward to seeing what they do with the franchise from here. Hopefully kratos can finally be allowed to rest. Wouldn't mind playing as an older Atreus trying to find his place in the world.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I think a new series where an older Atreus is the main character is a cool idea and the natural narrative progression, but knowing how game series (and pop culture sequels) work, I will also accept Kratos having to travel to a new pantheon to help bail out an older Atreus when he sends a message asking for help

Honestly I don’t wanna lose that relationship! Those characters have developed so much, I think it’d be really satisfying to see them keep bouncing off each other

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    VontreVontre Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    So on the ending
    I guess on the whole I have the same problems Dac and Viskod have about it. There feels like a missing piece of gameplay between Sif wanting wholesale murder of Atreus to her realizing Odin is a total asshole who isn't interested in anyone but himself. There is a piece of connective tissue in the story that is missing at this point and I wonder if there was something cut here. I agree with a lot of comments that Sif's sudden heel turn on Odin comes out of the blue and doesn't match her previous actions, in particular she is very upset at Atreus for murdering her son. Then by the end of the game Sif is all buddy with Kratos and Thrud apparently sees him as her hero (?!?!?) by the end of the game. This is an extremely huge tonal whiplash and doesn't occur too far from one another events wise in the story, so what was it between Thor trying to murder Atreus and the assault of Asgard that changed her opinion? That Odin didn't give a shit about Heimdall being murdered, when literally nobody liked him?

Was there some section of gameplay as Thrud or something that is supposed to enlighten why Sif has this sudden and very dramatic turn against Odin?
    You have to eavesdrop on them during the Atreus sections. There are multiple secret conversations between Thor/Sif that strongly hint that she wants Odin gone.

• Options
    VontreVontre Registered User regular
    3x Berserker:
    Definitely very tough, seems like bullshit at first but you have to keep things in camera frame, it's part of the strategy. I'm gonna go back and watch my vod of it to see what I did.

Berserker King:
    Excellent fight, very fun. They might have patched out some of his uncounterable combos by now, I never encountered anything that couldn't be beaten.

Valkyrie Queen:
    Extremely hard! I don't remember if Sigrun was this hard. I played both games on God Mode, this took forever to beat. I ended up using the Stun bar armor and valor rage as a fallback defensive option.

Also I love the axe. Spear sucks. Blades are dumb. Axe is meaty and nice. Weapon speed doesn't even matter because you can cancel basic attacks into a defensive option at literally any point. When I played 2018 and found out that Kratos didn't always have the axe I was shocked. Shocked I say. Them blades suck compared to the axe.

World traversal toward the end of the game was real bad but I am mostly just here to beat the optional bosses on god mode at this stage, I was not disappointed.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Sif:
    Is totally consistent for the whole game; she doesn't trust Odin to not get her daughter killed.
    When she meets Atreus, she quite reasonably sees him as part of Odin's schemes. Which he is.
    Yes he killed her sons, but she at least realises that it was self-defence. Why was he defending himself from them? Because Odin sent them to fight him and his dad (Her attitude may have changed if she specifically knew about the neck stabbing incident which arguably crossed into actual murder).
    She always sees Odin as the biggest threat to her family.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Ragnarok just got an update adding a New Game+ mode, for those who like that sort of thing.
    Going by the last game, I'm assuming this means new NG+ only armor sets being available as well.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Ragnarok just got an update adding a New Game+ mode, for those who like that sort of thing.
    Going by the last game, I'm assuming this means new NG+ only armor sets being available as well.

According to Eurogamer, it also means bosses get new moves, and there’s new abilities to equip on the amulet, including stuff that was previously tied to armor pieces

Seems like a lot of new stuff!

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I been playing through Ragnarok for the first time after finally getting a PS5 and really liking it.

22 hours in and doing feel like I'm close to even the middle?
    Freya and Kratos just became friends again and now I'm exploring the area that opened up

• Options
    Oh hey, Ragnarok's getting a free roguelite DLC added next week:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJX-qnou6F8

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    That's decidedly not for me but an absolutely awesome addition.

A great excuse for people to just keep having fun with the combat. Good on them.

• Options
    I didn't think I was going to like it in Returnal, but I ended up living in that mode for a month.
    And it looks like we'll get some story stuff in there. A Cyclops and the old GoW music suggests we might be covering some of the Greece events.

• Options
    edited December 2023
    Played a couple of hours, it's great so far.
    And it's definitely not just combat, but story and character stuff as well (best to leave it until you beat the main story including the post-game stuff):
    Really getting into Kratos' self-loathing for who he used to be. I got up to the Thing With The Fire And Oh No, and I want to see more.

klemming on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Trying to download but I'm getting estimates of 20-99+ hours. Not sure what's going on.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited December 2023
    DLC has unlocks for Main Game NG+
    Blade of Olympus Rage mode and new appearances which I assume are that of GOW1-3 Kratos

Just a great epilogue for Ragnarok and Kratos specifically.

Honestly it’s so good that this is what the game really needed as post game content to begin with.

Viskod on
  • Options
    Does it add any trophies?

• Options
    nwrabenwrabe Insidious Squid Registered User regular
    Yes, looks like a dozen new ones.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    DLC has unlocks for Main Game NG+
    Blade of Olympus Rage mode and new appearances which I assume are that of GOW1-3 Kratos

Just a great epilogue for Ragnarok and Kratos specifically.

Honestly it’s so good that this is what the game really needed as post game content to begin with.

But now that it is here, we get it for free and not having to pay for it.

We don't get to say that often these days.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited December 2023
    I was going to give this a miss but if it’s got new dialogue I’m down 100%. I’ll likely turn the difficulty down to easy if I face too stiff a challenge tho, since while I love the combat I’m kind of past it now

Prohass on
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Yeah, I discovered on the weekend I've already lost my muscle memory for Spider-Man 2 which I only finished playing a month ago, I've got no hope of winning any tough fights in God of War when I haven't touched it in 12 months.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    That's very cool and I'm glad they did it but I'm insanely packed with a backlog of trying to catch up on the last year I basically totally missed due to full time study for a year. So...much later.

Good on em though.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    The whole thing appears to be a therapy session for Kratos (with therapeutic enemy dismemberment because that's way more his speed than lying on a couch).
    I don't know if I'll keep playing to unlock everything and get all the trophies, but I'm definitely nowhere close to through all the story stuff yet.

The difficulty can be changed at any point, though it does affect the amount of rewards you get (so a tougher fight will get you more stuff). So far I've stayed on the default and felt comfortable with it. I could probably stand to put it up a notch, but I like winning fights easily.

I'm liking the habit of roguelike/lite mods being added to the big games, especially as they mostly seem to be free.

Valhalla story stuff:
    They even acknowledged Ascension, which impressed me. I got the impression that they mostly wanted to forget that game happened, but I enjoyed it.

klemming on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    This game is going to apparently keep me busy for a long time. I'm 30 hours and my current story progress is
    Searching for the Norse fates. Got to the frozen lake section and got distracted by all the side quests

Anyone got a rough estimate of how much I got left? I'm excited to play Valhalla but not until I hear the game

• Options
    edited December 2023
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Anyone got a rough estimate of how much I got left? I'm excited to play Valhalla but not until I hear the game
    You're maybe two-thirds through, I guess? Depends on how much side-stuff you're doing along the way. (and you should definitely do the post-endgame side stuff if you don't want Valhalla to spoil it)
    edit: actually probably less than that, it might be closer to half.

klemming on