As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Primer - omgwtf

13»

• Options
    JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Which parts did you think were important that turned out to apparently not be?

Jasoco on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Jasoco wrote: »

What the hell happened to the other two guys that were working on the project? They were working 80 hours a week on that levitate-o-tron and then, BAM, they fade out of the movie. One of them was supposed to be really inquisitive, too.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    emnmnme wrote: »

What the hell happened to the other two guys that were working on the project? They were working 80 hours a week on that levitate-o-tron and then, BAM, they fade out of the movie. One of them was supposed to be really inquisitive, too.

I'll bet there was a lot more to that in the original script, but it ended up on the cutting room floor for one reason or another. It was kind of weird.

Doc on
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Doc wrote: »

I'll bet there was a lot more to that in the original script, but it ended up on the cutting room floor for one reason or another. It was kind of weird.

I think there was a throwaway line about how the garage had to be fumigated or something, and Abe and Aaron just acted like they weren't working on anything and made each other promise not to tell the other two guys.

Snork on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Snork wrote: »

I think there was a throwaway line about how the garage had to be fumigated or something, and Abe and Aaron just acted like they weren't working on anything and made each other promise not to tell the other two guys.

Yeah they pretty much establish that they aren't on the same page as the other guys, they're already grating at their idea for a direction of work. So when they find out they've discovered a time machine they go out of their way to keep the other two out of the loop.

I can't remember exactly what confused me that wasn't on that timeline... but then that's why I'm watching it again.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Deviant HandsDeviant Hands __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    I understood that movie on the first viewing.

Bow before me and kiss my feet for I am your superior.

Also, I understood Donnie Darko more than most.

Primer kicks ass BTW.

Great!

Explain it

Which one? Primer or Donnie Darko?

Primer

All of it.

Deviant Hands on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Primer kicks ass BTW.

Great!

Explain it

Primer

All of it.

I don't think it'll matter to you since you can't read it anyway. :P

Jasoco on
  • Options
    TechBoyTechBoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    (Obviously spoilers about the movie, so don't read if you haven't seen it! Not like it would make sense... )

Soooo....
    So I get that Aaron looked at the self-storage manifest, sees Abe's name twice, finds the failsafe, uses it and sets up his own, but is there any particular reason that he would choose to look at the manifest in the first place? Other than the fact that the story would be much less interesting?

Secondly, why does he decide to record everything? First off, to use it you'd have to go back AGAIN, which seems like a nice waste of several days, reliving and recording as well as sitting in the box. And secondly, what's the point of knowing exactly how everything goes down if, well, you already know how everything went down since you experienced it twice?

TechBoy on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    TorgoTorgo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    TechBoy wrote: »
    (Obviously spoilers about the movie, so don't read if you haven't seen it! Not like it would make sense... )

Soooo....
    So I get that Aaron looked at the self-storage manifest, sees Abe's name twice, finds the failsafe, uses it and sets up his own, but is there any particular reason that he would choose to look at the manifest in the first place? Other than the fact that the story would be much less interesting?

Secondly, why does he decide to record everything? First off, to use it you'd have to go back AGAIN, which seems like a nice waste of several days, reliving and recording as well as sitting in the box. And secondly, what's the point of knowing exactly how everything goes down if, well, you already know how everything went down since you experienced it twice?
    The idea was to manipulate people through the day to get events to turn out as closely as possible to the original events, then make ONE change to see the consequence. The scientific method, so to speak, to try to "fix" the party.

Torgo on
    History is a spoiler for the future. (Me on Twitter)
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    My main question after watching the film isn't one about time, but about motive:
    Why is Aaron so bothered about the party / gun-man? The very first time around, without any need for time-jiggery-poky, he saved Rachel and was a hero. Why does he have to go around and around to make this moment 'perfect' ? The dialogue justification for this in the film is that Aaron wants to make sure that the gun-man gets sent to jail, where he can't come back and try and hurt Rachel again, but that's pretty weak. What's so special about this moment that causes Aaron to keep coming back to it? It's not like his wife gets killed or anything; Rachel even seems to be only a friend-of-a-friend.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    milathmilath Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I saw this film based entirely on the recommendation of this thread, so thanks OP.

Great movie. So well made in fact, I'm stunned it was filmed on so small a budget.

As for the plot itself, I'm not even gonna pretend I understood it to the point of that timeline linked in the wiki, but I understood it enough to get enjoyment out of it. Plus, I watched it two times in a row back to back. I can't even remember the last time a movie made me want to do that.

milath on
    steam_sig.png
    "No.. I was wrong. This must be what going mad feels like."

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    milath wrote: »
    I saw this film based entirely on the recommendation of this thread, so thanks OP.

Great movie. So well made in fact, I'm stunned it was filmed on so small a budget.

As for the plot itself, I'm not even gonna pretend I understood it to the point of that timeline linked in the wiki, but I understood it enough to get enjoyment out of it. Plus, I watched it two times in a row back to back. I can't even remember the last time a movie made me want to do that.

So far, all I know is that Abe and Arron really, really destroyed their own lives.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    No more Mr. Nice GuyNo more Mr. Nice Guy __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008

Primer kicks ass BTW.

Great!

Explain it

Primer

All of it.

Explanation would still be nice.

No more Mr. Nice Guy on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Primer kicks ass BTW.

Great!

Explain it

Primer

All of it.

You're pretty good at being a douche. I solute you.

Anyways...

Primer is a very good movie. Even when you have no idea what's going on, it's still fun to watch. I watched it two or three times before I gave up and just read the Wiki entry and the official forums to get it all figured out, and there's absolutely no way, if these explanations are accurate, that anyone with an IQ under 200 could figure it out.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008

Primer kicks ass BTW.

Great!

Explain it

Primer

All of it.

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that

Doc on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Primer kicks ass BTW.

Great!

Explain it

Primer

All of it.

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that

It is validating, really.

I really think my favorite part of the movie was the very beginning. It reminded me of when I was a little kid helping out some of my family friends who were engineers. Which makes sense, I suppose, since the writer is an engineer.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm sorry, but I really don't see what can be explained that hasn't already been explained. I don't really appreciate being called a douche, which I'm not, and I don't like that I got a weird private message from "No More Mr. Nice Guy" (Who is now banned. Probably not related.) that contained the letters "nt" (Whatever that means) with the title "douche". Actually, it just left me confused. The message that is. Not the movie.

Jasoco on
  • Options
    KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sorry to bring this thread back from it's week long deadness, but I just watched Primer and oh god.

So good.

The only part I'm still confused about after reading the wiki timelines are
    a. the failsafe, I realize Abe had made the first one as an 'oh shit things might get hairy' device, but it ended up not working because aaron had messed around with it? and

b. The physical effects of the time machine i.e. the handwriting/ear bleedings/fainting/comatose-ings. I know the ear bleedings are probably caused by over exhaustion, and the same with the doubles fainting. What about the handwriting though? I've looked at a lot of discussions, and still can't seem to see anything about it.

edit: There's some things you can explain Jasoco, if you've even seen the movie. (Because honestly, going into a discussion going 'OMG I R SMRT I KNO STORY FULLY' and then beating around the bush doesn't contribute much to the actual thread)

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Kajusta wrote: »
    Sorry to bring this thread back from it's week long deadness, but I just watched Primer and oh god.

So good.

The only part I'm still confused about after reading the wiki timelines are
    a. the failsafe, I realize Abe had made the first one as an 'oh shit things might get hairy' device, but it ended up not working because aaron had messed around with it? and

b. The physical effects of the time machine i.e. the handwriting/ear bleedings/fainting/comatose-ings. I know the ear bleedings are probably caused by over exhaustion, and the same with the doubles fainting. What about the handwriting though? I've looked at a lot of discussions, and still can't seem to see anything about it.
    For part a.: what Aaron did was go back in Abe's failsafe with another box. For example, say the failsafe returned him to 9AM on Monday. Aaron gets out then moves the failsafe he was in to another room. Then he sets up the box he brought with him in the place of Abe's failsafe but adjusts the timer so it takes Abe back to 9:15AM (or any time after 9AM). That way Aaron can always go farther back than Abe by using the original failsafe stashed in another room. I think in the movie the Aaron voice-over says something about always being a step ahead.

That's why when Abe finally decides to use the failsafe he gets sick (he collapses in the scene with Aaron on the park bench) because the timer had been adjusted and he got out of the box too late, on top of exhaustion from being in the box for so long.

part b: no clue, in the movie Abe says their writing looks like it was done with their non-dominant hands but it's never explained.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The handwriting thing is never explained, but just consider it a sign that there is some sort of adverse neurological effect to using the box.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, thanks for clearing part a up. Makes a whole lot more sense now.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Great, great movie.

It makes me wonder, though
    What would've happened if the boxes had been destroyed while the travelers were supposed to be in them? In the final time line the final Aaron could've prevented Abe from going back at all, what might have happened then? Also, how did the original Abe and Aaron survive for so long trapped in the closet and attic respectively? Weren't they stuck in there for at least 2 days? In one of the time lines I think Aaron is even stuck in the attic for upwards of four days, isn't he? Also, what did the time-traveled Aaron think he was going to do about it when his wife inevitably found out?

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg