As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm cold again, [weather thread]

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    Weatherpeople: Mount Washington is cold as fuck.

Humans: We should live there.

No one lives there. There's a lodge and an observatory, but no homes near the summit.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Mount Washington flat out isn't habitable during the winter.

We got down to -10 before wind chill last night. Even by like, 9 pm it was -5. Taking the dogs out in that was an experience.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    So Frostpunk, but in real life?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Apparently Mount Washington broke the US wind chill record with -108 last night.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Damn, -100 F wind chill in New Hampshire

Not even just worst weather on earth, worst on earth and Mars and maybe even one of the other ones

Math checks out.

z7qsi321y6eb.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    This is because the groundhog died huh

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    We've had a cold snap yesterday and today: less than -20C! Now it's a balmier -17C. I can open my window again! :V

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Maybe it will actually snow here this time.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

No one lives there. There's a lodge and an observatory, but no homes near the summit.

The scientists live up there in the winter at least. I've only been on summits in the whites at -50 with 50mph winds but it's indeed wild as shit and you feel like you're trespassing on some forbidden moon.
    Also tremendous alarm bells ringing from your self preservation instinct.

• Options
    schuss wrote: »

The scientists live up there in the winter at least. I've only been on summits in the whites at -50 with 50mph winds but it's indeed wild as shit and you feel like you're trespassing on some forbidden moon.

Those scientists take turns going out every 20 minutes to manually record the conditions

They continued this duty in those 125mph, -108 conditions. This is how we know those conditions in fact!

Ridiculousness

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    3dzpasixq5p1.jpeg
    48mnqdnfz9ay.jpeg
    t9fgy05geqng.gif

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So, end of January we had that massive weather bomb that flooded about half of the city.

Over Sunday, Monday, Today and Tomorrow we're dealing with Cyclone Gabrielle coming through.

More flooding, wind gusts up to 150 km/hr.

there's a lot of folks down here losing everything. Not as devastating as Turkiye/Syria, but this is a different brand of horrible.

• Options
    I thought Cyclones like....didn't hit New Zealand.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    .. yeah, it's pretty far south

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Climate change!

But yeah, Gabrielle started on the tropics up near Australia, then came here.

Technically it's an ex-tropical cyclone right now because we're not in the tropics. But there's still very much spin and an eye and yeah.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

Those scientists take turns going out every 20 minutes to manually record the conditions

They continued this duty in those 125mph, -108 conditions. This is how we know those conditions in fact!

Ridiculousness

Yep, they post a ton of cool videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezIqFyjAUP4
    Doing maintenance with 140-170mph winds
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExbgQ6-2_8g

• Options
    jgeis wrote: »
    3dzpasixq5p1.jpeg
    48mnqdnfz9ay.jpeg
    t9fgy05geqng.gif

I got you dogpallas cat
    clnnw4we0glq.jpeg

Snarf snarf

• Options
    Actually got about 2 inches of slushy snow that is going to melt away in a couple hours.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Actually got about 2 inches of slushy snow that is going to melt away in a couple hours.

We got about 2.5, but it’s pretty good snow. I expect it to stick around all day. Apparently town just got a dusting though.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    It already melted off streets by 10 am, supposed to drop to 22F tonight.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    It already melted off streets by 10 am, supposed to drop to 22F tonight.

We just had the plow go by so I’m hoping the roads will be dry by the time it freezes tonight.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    We got a mild dusting in PDX, just enough to actually be seen as I was going to bed but was completely gone from my area come morning. I understand some other areas had a little more accumulation, and others got some ice.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    :'(:'(

mzokqw5ccwjp.png
    h3ot5bij9bcp.png

Looking at a forecasted 34-63 cm of snow over the next two weeks -_-

This is after about a week of positive degree daytime temperatures without snow.

Fuckin false spring.

• Options
    Meanwhile, over in the central valley of California...

*zooms in*

xgfj28wp65go.png

EVERYONE STAY INDOORS THIS IS NOT A DRILL THESE FUCKERS WILL BE FLYING THROUGH WALLS.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    (I'm technically not valley floor, I'm the start of the foothills).

But seriously, be careful if you're out early on Thursday/Friday. This shit is going to be a LOT lower than normal.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Can't really tell if I'm safe or not but in reality if snow fell here I would 100% call in to work because California drivers suck at driving in snow. More than usual I mean.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    Can't really tell if I'm safe or not but in reality if snow fell here I would 100% call in to work because California drivers suck at driving in snow. More than usual I mean.

sn10_acc-imp.us_sw.png

imindanger.jpg

• Options

Calling in would be the right move

Nobody in CA has the skills or tires for snow, it'll be Mad Max eXtreme

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

ya'll know California is famous for it's mountains right? And peoples access to them. This isn't a georgia situation.

But also yes, people are going to be doing dumb shit out there. Just like the first snow in any state/region.

Hanging out in michigan for a bit was eye opening, they're "good at driving in the snow" but also everyone "gets a few dents every year"

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

ya'll know California is famous for it's mountains right? And peoples access to them. This isn't a georgia situation.

But also yes, people are going to be doing dumb shit out there. Just like the first snow in any state/region.

Hanging out in michigan for a bit was eye opening, they're "good at driving in the snow" but also everyone "gets a few dents every year"

Okay, nobody below the mountains, which is the bulk of the population. Yes California has mountains, but most of the population is along the coast or in the central valley. Who even bothers with all-seasons in CA when summer tires are all you need, and half of the people driving in Southern California have bald tires anyway because it's not like it rains more than a month a year?

• Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

sn10_acc-imp.us_sw.png

imindanger.jpg

Valid March 2nd? That is modeling 10 days out, which is just interpreting tea leaves. Any forecasting more than a week out (5 days really, imo) isn't even worth thinking about.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

And yet I'll still get caught behind some dumb fuck going 40 MPH up the Grapevine in the left hand lane because they don't understand the concept of inclines.

Every. Single. Time.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

And yet I'll still get caught behind some dumb fuck going 40 MPH up the Grapevine in the left hand lane because they don't understand the concept of inclines.

Every. Single. Time.

...we also have a lot of tourists.

I blame the tourists.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Red Raevyn wrote: »

sn10_acc-imp.us_sw.png

imindanger.jpg

Valid March 2nd? That is modeling 10 days out, which is just interpreting tea leaves. Any forecasting more than a week out (5 days really, imo) isn't even worth thinking about.

Oh, wrong thursday. I thought that was for this thursday and thought it was funny. Anyway, don't worry about it

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    There are a bunch of people that can't drive to begin with, that are allowed to have a license. It just gets worse when you get any sort of precipitation in the mix.

• Options
    Mill wrote: »
    There are a bunch of people that can't drive to begin with, that are allowed to have a license. It just gets worse when you get any sort of precipitation in the mix.

And then if it's precipitation they're not used to, the roads get pretty thoroughly fucked.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I had an idea. Coming from California, a place where a lot of people move to, and moved to PNW, a place where a lot of people move to, it seems to me that putting a bunch of people together who have different backgrounds, training, and even come from different sets of laws all make it seem like people can't drive, but really, they just haven't all gotten on the same page.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    (I'm technically not valley floor, I'm the start of the foothills).

But seriously, be careful if you're out early on Thursday/Friday. This shit is going to be a LOT lower than normal.

yeah we have a chance of snow forecast all the way out to the pacific coast up north of the SF bay area, especially in the hills here

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Here in Ohio, we’re looking at our second Thursday (holla) in the 70s in a row

All of my spring bloomers are like 3/4 their full size already and are going to eat shit and die when we finally get another visit from the Polar Hurricane

This discussion has been closed.