As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Going Pro

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin

Going Pro!

Penny Arcade - Comic - Going Pro

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Yup, there it is. The fabled "Old enough to make prostate exam jokes" comic. It's finally here.

Let us all collapse into dust.

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    I thought it was just one finger that feels around for the prostate. Unpleasant, sure, but hardly the end of the world. Am I missing something?

Djiem on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Djiem wrote: »
    I thought it was just one finger that feels around for the prostate. Unpleasant, sure, but hardly the end of the world. Am I missing something?

Unless they say, "Hmm... Interesting. I've got a few med students here, mind if I bring them in?"

• Options
    wyld_thangwyld_thang Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

Unless they say, "Hmm... Interesting. I've got a few med students here, mind if I bring them in?"

I think: This is kind of a personal moment so: Yes, I do mind! is a valdi answer to that...

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Doesn't matter if you decline, if the doctor says that you're about to get unpleasant news. The question is will you get it straight away if you decline or will you get to watch the students play 20 questions and try to guess it.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular

"It's only one finger" is almost never going to comfort me. That number of fingers needs to be reduced by 100% before it's no big deal for me.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I like that Gabe was looking for a... the term that springs to mind is "butt buddy", but that's not what I'm going for

Just two pals, getting examined together, holding hands for moral support

It's sweet

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    So, I went for "this" check up, and my doctor was kind enough to explain to me that the invasive finger test isn't necessary anymore.

If you feel like you're having an issue, they're going to run some tests and do some blood work. If there are no issues that you're concerned about, they're still going to draw some blood, and run some tests.

Either of those options are more accurate than sticking your finger in someone's asshole.

If you're going to a doctor who still insists on sticking his finger in your ass, I'd ask a few more questions.

• Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    ironzerg wrote: »
    So, I went for "this" check up, and my doctor was kind enough to explain to me that the invasive finger test isn't necessary anymore.

If you feel like you're having an issue, they're going to run some tests and do some blood work. If there are no issues that you're concerned about, they're still going to draw some blood, and run some tests.

Either of those options are more accurate than sticking your finger in someone's asshole.

If you're going to a doctor who still insists on sticking his finger in your ass, I'd ask a few more questions.

That's what happened to me and honestly I had kind of conflicting thoughts. I mean, I don't like the idea of the exam itself (it would have been my first, as I age like Gabe and Tycho), but if I have a prostate issue I'd kind of prefer to know even if it means dealing with discomfort. I'd want to be very convinced that the PSA test is not going to miss anything the exam would.

Bremen on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Even just one can be extremely uncomfortable if one is entirely unaccustomed to having anything entering that location. I had a series of procedures done to take care of some hemorrhoids and the first finger exam was extremely unpleasant. Subsequent ones less so but still not great, even after ones where a camera or other device needs to go up there have recalibrated things a bit.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    CrimeRobotCrimeRobot Registered User regular
    I like that Gabe was looking for a... the term that springs to mind is "butt buddy", but that's not what I'm going for

Just two pals, getting examined together, holding hands for moral support

It's sweet

Not exactly the same, but similar, is the fact that Steve Martin, Martin Short, Tom Hanks and another friend of theirs have biennial "colonoscopy parties" where they all get together the night before to eat Jell-O and whatnot, before going to all get the procedure the next day.

https://www.today.com/health/martin-short-tom-hanks-steve-martin-have-colonoscopy-parties-t131499

"We programmed him to think only of crime!" - Enrico Matassa
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Modern blood work is so much better and more accurate about this then the old finger. Not that it never happens, but it is pretty rare. Generally only if you complain about something that indicates to the doctor that they need to do it.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    To all my aging fellows, I say, "Welcome to the Digital Age!"

No, I don't mean as in electronics.

Jokes, aside, PSA can be quite inaccurate.
    In fact, studies have shown that about 70% to 80% of men with an elevated PSA who have a biopsy do not have cancer. However, many men undergo an ultrasound and prostate biopsy, to be certain.

Conversely, the PSA test doesn’t detect all cancers. About 20% of men who have cancer also have a normal PSA (less than 4 ng/ml), so the test may give some men a false sense of security.
    https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/is-psa-reliable-20110327214

"Oh no! But I didn't want to get poked!"

Well, the thing is, the poke is even less accurate:
    A previous review article found that the DRE detected a mere 28.6% of prostate tumors. This means that a negative (normal) DRE does not mean you do not have PCa. In fact, the DRE misses the majority of prostate tumors. So, while a positive (abnormal) DRE may lead physicians to recommend a prostate biopsy, does a negative DRE lead us to recommend against it? The answer is no.

Now some doctors may argue, “What if I feel a nodule? Surely, that means the patient likely has prostate cancer and should get a biopsy.” Well, according to data collected from the Prostate, Lung, Colorectal, and Ovarian (PLCO) screening trial, this is also not the case. Of 5,064 men with an abnormal DRE and normal PSA, only 2% were diagnosed with PCa that would require treatment. Therefore, if a negative DRE doesn’t help us feel confident that we can avoid a biopsy, and a positive DRE doesn’t help us feel confident that we need to do a biopsy, then why should physicians perform it at all?

We shouldn’t. Since PSA screening became the norm, physicians have used PSA levels, not the DRE, as the main determining factor in decision-making for PCa screening. The data overwhelmingly supports PSA measurements as a more accurate and objective test for PCa screening. This is reflected in the fact that the American Urological Association (AUA) guidelines for PCa screening only recommend PSA screening and do not recommend the DRE as a primary screening tool. The guidelines state that the DRE, which has no proven benefit as a primary screening test, should only be considered as a secondary test.
    https://www.renalandurologynews.com/home/news/urology/prostate-cancer/eliminate-digital-rectal-examination-prostate-cancer-screening/

Which isn't that surprising, given that a) they can only feel part of the prostate and b) you're relying on the diagnostic value of what a human fingertip (granted, a nerve-rich part of the body) can feel between a layer of rubber gloves plus a later of intestine.

If you just want to go that extra mile, or you have a family history of prostate cancer, you might want to get a secondary index of potential problems, inaccurate as it is. But it seems like for most people with normal PSA results, you can tell the doctor not to put a ring on it.

• Options
    dennis wrote: »
    Which isn't that surprising, given that a) they can only feel part of the prostate and b) you're relying on the diagnostic value of what a human fingertip (granted, a nerve-rich part of the body) can feel between a layer of rubber gloves plus a later of intestine.

That's why I tell him to leave the glove off

• Options
    Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    I accept only the very best, which is why I'm having mine checked at the Prostitute.

• Options
    I accept only the very best, which is why I'm having mine checked at the Prostitute.

That's a deep podcast cut 👍

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    That Harvard blog post seems to be saying that a single PSA can be inaccurate, that's why the recommendation is to look at PSA levels over time to see if there's a deviation
    And most doctors observe how a man’s PSA level changes over time, a measure called PSA velocity, rather than using it as a one-time indicator. PSA scores tend to rise more rapidly in men with cancer than in those with BPH, for example

So PSA is still going to be way better than DRE, because DRE's over time rely on... what? The doctor's memory of how the back of your prostate felt last year?

• Options
    Delzhand wrote: »
    That Harvard blog post seems to be saying that a single PSA can be inaccurate, that's why the recommendation is to look at PSA levels over time to see if there's a deviation
    And most doctors observe how a man’s PSA level changes over time, a measure called PSA velocity, rather than using it as a one-time indicator. PSA scores tend to rise more rapidly in men with cancer than in those with BPH, for example

So PSA is still going to be way better than DRE, because DRE's over time rely on... what? The doctor's memory of how the back of your prostate felt last year?

You know how some people never forget a face? Well...

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »

You know how some people never forget a face? Well...

Thinking back about all those dogs sniffing everyone else's buttholes... do they know something we don't?

• Options
    LttlefootLttlefoot Registered User regular
    I’m glad I’m not going to get old

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Listen every dog large enough to sniff human butts is always going about it anyway so if they could let us know if we've got butt cancer at the same time that'd be great

• Options
    Listen every dog large enough to sniff human butts is always going about it anyway so if they could let us know if we've got butt cancer at the same time that'd be great

It'd definitely make the check-up a lot more pleasant.

"Who's a good boy? Who's a good boy? Do I have cancer? Do I have cancer? Awww, that sounds bad, but I just can't stay mad at those sad eyes! Who wants a belly rub!"

• Options
    OverkillengineOverkillengine Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    "What's that Lassie? Little Timmy has tumors again? And they're malign?"

Overkillengine on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

My friend was having something cut out of his arm, and the med students had a bet going on what it was. Whoever had calcium deposit won that bet.

• Options
    hiraethhiraeth SpaceRegistered User regular
    Got diagnosed with a prostate lesion a few years ago. I can write about what I went through and what they actually do if anyone is interested for curiosity or awareness, it's difficult when you're alone and don't know anything about what goes on.