As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pride and Prejudice and Goncharov [Movies]

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Cool spoilers for ant man 3 though. Thanks all.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I woke up this morning and Lyle, Lyle Crocodile was not a dream…

Somehow that fever dream of a movie is real

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    the weirdest thing about hardcore MCU fans is how many of them hate Iron Man 3

This is how I feel about 2.
    (In that I like it a lot, but no one else seems to)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    If that was a real scene in Frazier I would begin watching the show right now.

It’s always been on my list I just haven’t ever gotten around to starting it

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I've not seen Antman 3 yet but regarding the criticism that this phase of Marvel is a bit waffling - it's important to remember that Phase 1 of Marvel basically started off the same way. That said, I'm pretty tired of the formula too. I'm just not willing to bet against them quite yet.

I wouldn't really say that's true? Iron Man was really well received and Captain America and Thor were both able to end up with positive receptions because "super hero movies are bad" had been a tautology for so long and they were completely reasonable films.

• Options
    4uvzj6o4es8r.jpeg
    Awwwww yeah

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    4uvzj6o4es8r.jpeg
    Awwwww yeah

I'm deliberately going to try for the most packed theater I can find.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I was talking with a co-worker who has three kids, 11, 14, 19. They're apparently completely over Marvel stuff, now, "It feels like they're always giving you homework."

I don't spend any time around teens, so it was interesting to hear that (the world's smallest sample size of) teens are rejecting those flicks. I don't think their decline in teen popularity is gonna sink 'em or anything, they've got a shitload of inertia at this point, but it could be a canary in the coalmine, presaging a wider wave of general fatigue.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I was talking with a co-worker who has three kids, 11, 14, 19. They're apparently completely over Marvel stuff, now, "It feels like they're always giving you homework."

I don't spend any time around teens, so it was interesting to hear that (the world's smallest sample size of) teens are rejecting those flicks. I don't think their decline in teen popularity is gonna sink 'em or anything, they've got a shitload of inertia at this point, but it could be a canary in the coalmine, presaging a wider wave of general fatigue.

A chunk of my high school students are still seeing them, but I certainly don't witness a general feeling of excitement from them regarding the movies.

They were jazzed to see Black Panther 2, but beyond that? They are pretty split on Thor 4 and I haven't heard them talking about Ant-Man 3 at all.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    All kids want to see these days is Lyle, Lyle Crocodile

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

remember how iron man 3 has tony showing actual character growth and then civil war throws that shit right out of the window?

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    This specific part of this forum is one of the most inhospitable places to discuss Marvel movies in the world and you all are feeding each others' confirmation biases. The theater was uber packed yesterday, the crowd feel was enjoyment. Not to the level of Spider-Man No Way Home or End Game, but ya know, normal movie levels. Normies at my work are generally still engaged, comments sections in more contentious places are mixed, but they generally always are. I get the sense the TV shows are dramatically less popular than the movies, but the movies are written to just have a few references to that stuff, not be totally incomprehensible.

The first sentence is not to say "So stop being like that," just meant to say that the atmosphere here is not the general vibe of the public, not even close.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    PiptheFair wrote: »

remember how iron man 3 has tony showing actual character growth and then civil war throws that shit right out of the window?

Not to beat the same drum for eternity, but I remember Iron Man 3 as the movie where they'll huff the military-industrial complex's farts for shots of jets and tanks and when they introduce a storyline of vets harmed by the MIC they blow holes in their chests.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    This specific part of this forum is one of the most inhospitable places to discuss Marvel movies in the world and you all are feeding each others' confirmation biases. The theater was uber packed yesterday, the crowd feel was enjoyment. Not to the level of Spider-Man No Way Home or End Game, but ya know, normal movie levels. Normies at my work are generally still engaged, comments sections in more contentious places are mixed, but they generally always are. I get the sense the TV shows are dramatically less popular than the movies, but the movies are written to just have a few references to that stuff, not be totally incomprehensible.

The first sentence is not to say "So stop being like that," just meant to say that the atmosphere here is not the general vibe of the public, not even close.

Man I literally said I was quoting three kids and said that these movies have so much inertia they'll be fine for a while, I don't know how much more awareness of limited sample sizes and bubbles you need me to provide

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Graphs, ideally.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Man I literally said I was quoting three kids and said that these movies have so much inertia they'll be fine for a while, I don't know how much more awareness of limited sample sizes and bubbles you need me to provide

Make like the New York Times and tell me what these Indianan diner patrons who voted for Obama in 2016 and Trump in 2020 think

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I liked Iron Man 3 a lot when it came out, but on a more recent rewatch, it didn't seem as good to me.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I guess my main issues with the marvel movies are

they have a very familiar formula by now

There is too much CGI

The acting is mostly just functional

They rarely have anything meaningful to say, even after years of making them

Many of them sure seem like propaganda for the US military

• Options
    HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    As a fellow panic attack enjoyer, I would say that Iron Man 3 is one of my fave of the marvels. I also still kinda have a soft spot for the Guardians of the Galaxy ones, and the third guardians will be the only marvel movie I end up seeing of the past few years. I more or less liked most of the ones I saw of the original infinity whatever stretch, but towards the end I flipped from being bored by them on a rewatch to being bored by them on a first time watch. I also find the DC stuff to be joyless slogs! but I was also never much of a comic book person to begin with. I am also incredibly aware of how much of an outlier I am among people who like to talk about movies on the internet, and hey thats fine.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    that's why I like the Black Panther movies - the acting is good, the plots are not quite as formulaic, and their themes are basically

297e5315d62742a58cf73f5eced00281117e930e.gif

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I guess my main issues with the marvel movies are

they have a very familiar formula by now

There is too much CGI

The acting is mostly just functional

They rarely have anything meaningful to say, even after years of making them

Many of them sure seem like propaganda for the US military

And it's weird they went toward that last one because what made Avengers finale so cool was they didn't get the support of the military and government and had to do the final action scene on their own.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I did enjoy the writers of the falcon and Winter soldier show actually made the villains entirely too sympathetic and then had to figure out how to make them villains again

And the show almost said something meaningful and critical about the USA and the US military, but pulled the punches at the end

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

And the show almost said something meaningful and critical about the USA and the US military, but pulled the punches at the end

Ah yes, a Captain America movie

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Cool spoilers for ant man 3 though. Thanks all.

yeah I'm not like...super hyped for Ant-Man: Quadrophenia, but can we not fucking spoil the shit out of a brand new movie?

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I enjoy a lot of that first Black Panther film. Fun performances, pretty easy storyline, FANTASTIC music.

But while everyone blasts it for having a rough third act, and they are fair to do so, I'd say one of my critiques with it is it sure does paint the CIA as the good guys for the upper class of Wakanda.

And... Nah, I don't want that.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    My exhaustion with the MCU started immediately post End Game. Everything with the television shows was Too Much.

Then after that everything has felt even more sanded smooth and blended into a fine content slurry.

Just everything is so boring. Even when they get cool guest actors to the franchise for villains they don't get to go weird.

I think it was Feige who was quoted as saying that Johnathan Majors was the highest tested villain in screenings so far, like that's a good thing? Man, take some risks and see if people take away something more interesting and the movie finds the audience over time.

My favorite few movies over the last couple of years have been Everything Everywhere All At Once and The Green Knight.

https://a24auctions.com/auctions/mementos-multiverse/

Speaking of, someone go by the Raccacoonie puppet!

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    that's why I like the Black Panther movies - the acting is good, the plots are not quite as formulaic, and their themes are basically

297e5315d62742a58cf73f5eced00281117e930e.gif

Savages, savages, barely even human!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    My opinion on the MCU actually flipped while I was watching Endgame, because I find that movie to be three hours of maybe the worst writing in the entire franchise stitched together by just industrial amounts of fanservice.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

This kind of thing really sucks. The movies are bound to make money, but they rush this part, mistreating the people working on it. For a movie that... takes place in a fantastical CGI world populated mostly by CGI characters! That's not the bit to rush!

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Bold move to do that with a movie that spends 90% of its runtime in a completely CG world as well

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Do you expect them to pay for more people?

• Options
    neverreallyneverreally Registered User regular
    Shoulda just told the Black Panther folks to train a real rhino! (i assume there were CG rhinos, but i never saw it)

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Bold move to do that with a movie that spends 90% of its runtime in a completely CG world as well

I mean that's been the case with every Disney property in the last five + years.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »

Oh man that's fucking great. I might subscribe for the month.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I enjoy a lot of that first Black Panther film. Fun performances, pretty easy storyline, FANTASTIC music.

But while everyone blasts it for having a rough third act, and they are fair to do so, I'd say one of my critiques with it is it sure does paint the CIA as the good guys for the upper class of Wakanda.

And... Nah, I don't want that.

I will say, this is one of the things the second Black Panther is much much better about than the first

Like the CIA explicitly wants to destabilize Wakanda and uses that word in the script out loud

edit: like in general I think BP:WF is THE answer to the recent common complaints that a) Marvel movies all feel like event films and b) Marvel films are all weightless CGI slurry with nothing to say, but it also does a reasonable job of answering common complaints about Black Panther 1 surprisingly well in the process

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    I don’t mean to keep talking about Lyle, Lyle Crocodile but it’s been on my mind.

Constance Wu is a delightful treat in the movie!

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    I did enjoy the writers of the falcon and Winter soldier show actually made the villains entirely too sympathetic and then had to figure out how to make them villains again

Don't forget about it being aggressively anti-refugee

Carpy on
This discussion has been closed.