As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I'm cold again, [weather thread]

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    Can't really tell if I'm safe or not but in reality if snow fell here I would 100% call in to work because California drivers suck at driving in snow. More than usual I mean.

Calling in would be the right move

Nobody in CA has the skills or tires for snow, it'll be Mad Max eXtreme

ya'll know California is famous for it's mountains right? And peoples access to them. This isn't a georgia situation.

But also yes, people are going to be doing dumb shit out there. Just like the first snow in any state/region.

Hanging out in michigan for a bit was eye opening, they're "good at driving in the snow" but also everyone "gets a few dents every year"

And yet I'll still get caught behind some dumb fuck going 40 MPH up the Grapevine in the left hand lane because they don't understand the concept of inclines.

Every. Single. Time.

...we also have a lot of tourists.

I blame the tourists.

Nah, it's native Californians generally. Most tourists and transplants are from New England or the northern Midwest from what I've seen. Every time I went skiing in Tahoe it was a complete clown show from people that had no business driving in winter.

• JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Everyone talks about the weather, but no one ever does anything about it.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Jokerman wrote: »

Start *clap* Nuking *clap* Hurricanes *clap*

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Jokerman wrote: »

Start *clap* Nuking *clap* Hurricanes *clap*

It would be cool to see what would happen if we did a 100 Megaton airburst right in the middle, in a theoretical sense.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    theory: nothing would happen to the storm system
    there would be plenty of nice radioactive dust to scatter on the winds though

BahamutZERO.gif
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Something the size of tzar bomba could maybe do something at least visually interesting to a hurricane with a small eye. I agree in principle with your theory though.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

So we need something bigger. Got it.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Engineer a giant mech with an equally giant sword and cut the storm in half

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Pretty disappointed to find that nowhere on the Internet could I find anyone willing to sit down and do the actual math on the number of nukes needed to disrupt a cat 5 hurricane. Somebody, somewhere, has all the necessary ingredients in their head to do the math and they haven't. Fucking rude of them.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • DessertedDesserted Dessert desertRegistered User regular
    It is windy as hell in the central valley right now. At least by our standards.

furlion wrote: »
    Pretty disappointed to find that nowhere on the Internet could I find anyone willing to sit down and do the actual math on the number of nukes needed to disrupt a cat 5 hurricane. Somebody, somewhere, has all the necessary ingredients in their head to do the math and they haven't. Fucking rude of them.

Maybe it's not the number of nukes. Maybe we just need a bigger conventional bomb.

A MOAMOAMOAB, perhaps.

• RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    No no, look I know science

and science in books tells me matter and antimatter make a real big boom

so

combine it with an antimoab

Well no, then we need to combine the hurricane with an anti-hurricane. So the question is, is that: a

- hurricane from the southern hemisphere
    - typhoon
    - nor'easter
    - some kind of.. earthquakeicane?

• Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    I'm surprised it isn't already in a What If? book. Here's NOAA's answer:
    NOAA wrote:
    https://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/C5c.html
    During each hurricane season, there always appear suggestions that one should simply use nuclear weapons to try and destroy the storms. Apart from the fact that this might not even alter the storm, this approach neglects the problem that the released radioactive fallout would fairly quickly move with the tradewinds to affect land areas and cause devastating environmental problems. Needless to say, this is not a good idea.

Now for a more rigorous scientific explanation of why this would not be an effective hurricane modification technique. The main difficulty with using explosives to modify hurricanes is the amount of energy required. A fully developed hurricane can release heat energy at a rate of 5 to 20x1013 watts and converts less than 10% of the heat into the mechanical energy of the wind. The heat release is equivalent to a 10-megaton nuclear bomb exploding every 20 minutes. According to the 1993 World Almanac, the entire human race used energy at a rate of 1013 watts in 1990, a rate less than 20% of the power of a hurricane.

If we think about mechanical energy, the energy at humanity's disposal is closer to the storm's, but the task of focusing even half of the energy on a spot in the middle of a remote ocean would still be formidable. Brute force interference with hurricanes doesn't seem promising.

In addition, an explosive, even a nuclear explosive, produces a shock wave, or pulse of high pressure, that propagates away from the site of the explosion somewhat faster than the speed of sound. Such an event doesn't raise the barometric pressure after the shock has passed because barometric pressure in the atmosphere reflects the weight of the air above the ground. For normal atmospheric pressure, there are about ten metric tons (1000 kilograms per ton) of air bearing down on each square meter of surface. In the strongest hurricanes there are nine. To change a Category 5 hurricane into a Category 2 hurricane you would have to add about a half ton of air for each square meter inside the eye, or a total of a bit more than half a billion (500,000,000) tons for a 20 km radius eye. It's difficult to envision a practical way of moving that much air around.

Attacking weak tropical waves or depressions before they have a chance to grow into hurricanes isn't promising either. About 80 of these disturbances form every year in the Atlantic basin, but only about 5 become hurricanes in a typical year. There is no way to tell in advance which ones will develop. If the energy released in a tropical disturbance were only 10% of that released in a hurricane, it's still a lot of power, so that the hurricane police would need to dim the whole world's lights many times a year.
    Though I'll concede saying you can't do it isn't as fun as hearing how much boom it would take.

While reading I also came across this disturbing reminder of how dumb ideas can be, from the 1946 era of "we could just nuke the icecaps to mine under them!"
    A Columbia University professor explained that the ice caps were an “unnatural condition” similar to a “‘common cold’ afflicting the earth in [its] ‘head’ and ‘feet.’”

Shadowfire wrote: »

Maybe it's not the number of nukes. Maybe we just need a bigger conventional bomb.

A MOAMOAMOAB, perhaps.

you need a large impactor, drop one of them big asteroids on it, that will put your pile of nukes to shame

BahamutZERO.gif
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Wind is definitely picking up here in my corner of LA, starting to get those "blink and you'll miss it" flickers of power.

First dusting of snow here in the Willamette Valley. How much will I wake up to? Who knows. Also, who has a Doctors appointment at 745 tomorrow morning? This guy!

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Wind is definitely picking up here in my corner of LA, starting to get those "blink and you'll miss it" flickers of power.

Yeah it was howling just a while ago

High wind gusts from last night, islands off the coast of SoCal cresting 80mph, tons of locations over 50mph and quite a few over 70mph in the mountains.

Also a blizzard warning has been issued for Los Angeles County and Ventura County mountains, This is the first blizzard warning EVER issued by NWS Los Angeles:

• PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    LA area looking at 3.5 inches of rain on Friday alone?

Finally, another chance to refloat my LA river house boat.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Snow's starting to stick in Portland. Doesn't seem like we're getting a lot, but it's gonna hang around for a bit. Hopefully we'll get get more rain than snow in the snow showers that's coming, and it will melt away.

Also updated snowfall projection and wind projection. No accumulation projected for metro LA, as expected, but given the low ceiling on snow with this storm I wouldn't be surprised to see some flurries if you're closer to the foothills/places with a bit of elevation (like RPV). Maybe some light, quickly melting cover in places like Malibu and Pasadena like we got some years back.

Also lol the area around Mount Baldy/Big Bear is going to get like 8ft goddamn.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Damn, my dreams of skiing Palos Verdes are dampened.

I wonder if it's worth trying to mob up to Mt Baldy on Sunday or Monday.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Just had a brief period (5-10 mins) of snow at ~250 ft elevation.

Nothing stuck, but we happened to be out for a walk at the time.

been hailing a bit up here on the norcal coast

BahamutZERO.gif
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Just had a brief period (5-10 mins) of snow at ~250 ft elevation.

Nothing stuck, but we happened to be out for a walk at the time.

Plenty of video of graupel/hail coming out of the Pasadena area already, too.

• PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Portland traffic is so turbo fucked.

Snow started accumulation right before rush hour, plenty of people stuck on roads and freeways now, and now it's dropping below freezing so yay ice.

Don't even know where they're supposed to go or when they're gonna get out.

Dirtyboy wrote: »

I'm in the foothills outside of Eugene and have about a half of an inch sticking currently.

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Supposed to be below freezing tonight and low 20's the next two nights, so fun times on the roads.

Dirtyboy wrote: »
    Supposed to be below freezing tonight and low 20's the next two nights, so fun times on the roads.

Yea its going to be slick as shit tomorrow. Hopefully the roads dry out before it gets into the teens.

• crzyangocrzyango Registered User regular
    Pellaeon wrote: »

Snow started accumulation right before rush hour, plenty of people stuck on roads and freeways now, and now it's dropping below freezing so yay ice.

I live Atlanta adjacent, this unfortunately sounds very familiar.

crzyango wrote: »

My coworkers friend was stuck in Portland traffic for 8 hours. Luckily she got home safe.

Surprisingly we didn't get any more snow down here, it Ice, which I'm thankful for.

webguy20 wrote: »

My coworkers friend was stuck in Portland traffic for 8 hours. Luckily she got home safe.

Surprisingly we didn't get any more snow down here, it Ice, which I'm thankful for.

Yeah, I was working retail at the time and had to abandon my car because they wouldn't cut us in time (shocker). Ended up walking about 10 miles home.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

Yeah, I was working retail at the time and had to abandon my car because they wouldn't cut us in time (shocker). Ended up walking about 10 miles home.

Fucking hell

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Currently 71F in my area. Forecast for 24 hours from now is 28F

Next full week after that alternates between low of 16 and high of 57

Starting to think there might be something to this climate change talk...

Orca wrote: »

Fucking hell

The thing that powered most of my walk was the fact that the new CEO?President? of the company was in town (Guitar Center) visiting all the stores, and he got stuck on one of the interstates. It's actually the reason we weren't allowed to close, he was coming to our store. He had to walk to safety in business dress, and that sparks joy for me 9 years later.

This discussion has been closed.