As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

There's Actually Zero Difference Between Good & [Bad] Food

• TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I love grapes but they are super expensive now. They are indeed as good as candy, but candy is way cheaper.

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    I'm rarely in the mood for bad pizza, but I am sometimes in the mood for Dominos.

The mood is usually "regret", but still.

There's this garbage pizza chain in Colorado called Blackjack Pizza that is the most D+ delivery pizza you could ever hope to eat. We used to get it when I worked at a school as the "well, we have exactly fifty dollars, and with the school discount this is our only option to feed the whole grade" default

It was horrible and mediocre and too always too greasy and the cheese didn't stretch properly, and fifty percent of the time it was available I passed out of disgust. But every now and then, I miss it terribly. There's no substitute

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I eated too much Texas Roadhouse tonight

Also got one of their peach margarita things with an extra shot of patron in it

I'm sleepy

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    We had the most snow ever in a single day just a couple of days ago.
    My choices are to go ahead and go out to get some, have it delivered, or go without.
    Things still aren't quite thawed, and people are idiots, so I don't really want to go out.
    I've never done the delivery services -- there's something weird to me about a third party handling my food.
    Going without... probably makes the most sense for my wallet and waistline, but is the least fun and the lease satisfying.

I think the most reasonable solution is to get over dislike of food delivery services.
    Well, no, the most reasonable solution is to just go without. But then I don't get Thai food today. On the other hand, ordering for delivery, on top of having a third party handling my food, would make me feel like a jerk for making someone else drive in the fairly shit conditions out there.

I've got a few hours till dinner time. Let's see if hunger has any effect on my decision.

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    My dark secret is that sometimes, I wish I could have school pizza.

Not the fancy single-bagged branded pizzas.

No, the fuckin, like, mass-produced slabs that get cut into rectangles.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    mrpaku wrote: »
    David_T wrote: »
    I'm rarely in the mood for bad pizza, but I am sometimes in the mood for Dominos.

The mood is usually "regret", but still.

There's this garbage pizza chain in Colorado called Blackjack Pizza that is the most D+ delivery pizza you could ever hope to eat. We used to get it when I worked at a school as the "well, we have exactly fifty dollars, and with the school discount this is our only option to feed the whole grade" default

It was horrible and mediocre and too always too greasy and the cheese didn't stretch properly, and fifty percent of the time it was available I passed out of disgust. But every now and then, I miss it terribly. There's no substitute

We had that here in Oregon for a while, and I still miss it sometimes, somehow.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »

Hell yeah brother
    image_272f5301-710b-4f38-8fd8-eb6fab3d9f6a.webp?v=1652825353

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

I spent one glorious year helping out in the school kitchen

Pushing dough into every corner of the sheet pan
    Pouring half a gallon (~2 liters) of sauce on each one
    Tossing entire blocks of ham and cheese into the industrial-strength grater
    Sprinkling generous helpings of shredded ham and cheese onto the sauce

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Talking about this, I've unlocked the hidden memory of school breakfast pizza, which thinking back must have been, like, sausage and...gravy as the sauce?

Wait that sounds pretty good I should try that.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I know it's probably pointless because thinking the microwave ovens in the white house are non-functioning props to trick people into thinking the president uses a microwave is extremely beyond the pale, but I wanted to respond to some microwave talk.
    Jr. wrote: »
    I do not like having a microwave in the house due to the radiation
    Radiation is a scary word, but extremely misunderstood! Radiation just means "Moving outward". Electro-magnetic Radiation encompasses all movement of energy waves, from incredibly energetic Gamma rays at one end of the spectrum, all the way to radio waves at the other end, which have so little energy we need extra equipment to even detect. And most of it is perfectly safe. If you can see anything, you're surrounded by radiation because light is radiation. Without radiation you would freeze to death because Heat is radiation. Radiation is even used to treat cancer.
    there is no way to make these things safe at the dentist they use a whole lead covering to product you from the radiation and the microwave doesn’t have anything to protect you
    The microwave does have something to protect you. It's called a Faraday Cage.
    You need Lead to block X-rays, because X-rays are very short. They can pass through things that longer waves, like visible light, can't. That's why you can't see through a wall, but you can detect x-rays through a wall. You can't see through lead, and x-rays also can't get through lead, because lead is very dense. Microwaves are longer than visible light so they can't even get through some things that light can. A faraday cage is a metal mesh with openings small enough that certain length waves can't get through. If you stand inside a cage made from metal fence, you won't get any cell phone or radio signal because those waves can't get through the cage. Your microwave is an enclosed faraday cage, and microwaves can't get out of it. That's why the glass on the front is black with a bunch of holes in it. Microwaves can't get out of a microwave oven in the same way that you can't see through a wall.
    it really worries me she will get cancer from the microwave and it makes me worried too I unplug it at night my mom yells if I unplug it during the day.
    Your mum will not get cancer from a microwave. She could get cancer from being in the sun, or from eating barbecued food, or from eating too many bananas, or from flying in a plane, or from living near a highway. All of these things will give you cancer quicker and more reliably than using a microwave.
    It is ionizing like an xray
    Nope.
    Electromagnetic_Spectrum.jpg
    it is a myth that it’s safe I’d you go to rhe doctor for an xray they leave the room because of the risk
    Ionizing radiation like X-rays (which, again, microwaves aren't) is not about risk, and all about the dose you get. The only reason x-ray techs leave the room when they scan you is because they scan hundreds of people a day. If you fly in an airplane for about 3 hours, you get the same amount of radiation as a chest x-ray, and commercial pilots do that 4 or 5 times a day.
    people just microwave in the kitchen with no sense of safety and eat the radiation poisoned food it is a dangerous trend
    Food can't really be radiation poisoned. It can be radioactive - meaning it is emitting radiation, either by contamination (by radioactive dust after a nuclear accident or weapon strike), or because it contains naturally radioactive elements (bananas contain potassium 40). But if food is exposed to radiation, it actually becomes safer to eat by killing bacteria and slowing decomposition.
    microwaves are one of the most dangerous technology invented they even use them as weapons and spy tools in the the societ union used them as spy tools to spy they could use the beams to hear what people were saying it still goes on today those people almost got killed by the microwave machines in cuba they were using them even stronger to read the cellphones and computers they caused severe brain damage

microwaves do not leave hard evidence like gunshot wounds it’s insidious cellular damage and radiation in a decade everyone attacked in Cuba will have cancer.
    Ok so, there are a few issues with these ones.
    First of all, none of the claims of microwave technology being used as secret spy weapons or covert listening devices are much more than run-of-the-mill conspiracy theories. But even if they were 100% proven to be true, it's like saying cooking with an oven is deadly because fire burns down houses, or that keeping your food in a refrigerator is deadly because people sometimes freeze to death. Microwave ovens fully contain the microwaves inside of them.
    they know microwaves are unsafe if you go to the homes of big ceos like samsung and sony who sell microwaves you will not find a microwave anywhere because they know the dangers the microwave in the White House kitchen is just for dosplay when they make those inside the white house videos it does not really work they would not allow a working microwave anywhere near ghe president
    Finally, these ones, I would really really love to know how you know this.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I cannot wait to see where this discussion goes.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Well it's page 100 so my guess is directly into the trash

but I had to get all that out so it's cool

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I appreciate you and your post, good friend weed bong.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    My elementary school never did those pizza slabs, so when I hear school pizza I think instead of those individually-packaged calzones covered in flour with the chewiest "crust" in existence that only served to contain the molten fake cheese and pepperoni on the inside that had been heated to approximately half the surface of the sun. This had the side effect of burning the hell out of your tongue so you couldn't actually taste it.

I kinda want one now.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Those sound like Hot Pockets or a generic version of same

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Our school cafeteria tended to have better food than average, but the pizza was the pits. Always had green chilis and corn on it, and only occasionally crumbled ground beef. Never pepperoni, certainly.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I feel like the inevitable response to that excellent post is just going to make us sad.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Good
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Hell yeah brother
    image_272f5301-710b-4f38-8fd8-eb6fab3d9f6a.webp?v=1652825353

the best kind

image_673b510b-f3ec-4135-99c7-ec8f4cf724ad.jpg?v=1628132811

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    A breadtangle of pizza

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    You know you can still go out and buy Ellio's pizza, right? No one can stop you!

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Those sound like Hot Pockets or a generic version of same

No, see, Hot Pockets have a crust and can be crisp/crunchy. These were basically still dough for the "crust" despite their thermonuclear fake cheese, fake pepperoni, and no sauce whatsoever.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Microwaves aren’t even that micro either. What’s up with that?

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

xj00ojvsw2mi.png

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

compared to this one they are!

9pu21988d68b.png

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I applaud people who still have the energy to write long posts debunking dumb and/or bad faith takes

because lord knows I fuckin' don't

• Lord HomsarLord Homsar Lord of Hammers Registered User regular

https://www.guintherscustomcuts.com/products/school-pizza-pepperoni-cheese

and for the true best school pizza:
    cjlz39zx9puy.jpg

https://gfsstore.com/products/487272/

steam_sig.png
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I can absolutely imagine that if you went to the house of the CEO of Samsung, you wouldn't be able to find a microwave, because that place is probably huge and good luck finding anything.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Grapes are best after 15 seconds in the microwave

wait what

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    if you microwave grapes it makes literal plasma

whee!

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    You know you can still go out and buy Ellio's pizza, right? No one can stop you!

I mean I can't because i'm in the wrong country.

I do sometimes get a weird taste memory, not exactly a craving, but kinda, for my high school's Fiestada.

Octagonal cut pizza, but with 'taco' meat and 'cheddar' cheese instead of red sauce and white cheese.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    So I can eat as many microwaves as I want and not have to worry about cancer? Dang what have I been doing with my life.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

xj00ojvsw2mi.png

This is both a check and a mate.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Man, you know what I miss? Iltaco pizza puffs. I used to be able to get them from a local gas station when I was a kid, but that gas station changed hands and got renovated and they stopped serving pizza puffs. I probably haven’t had one in 15 years or more.

jgeis on
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    if you microwave grapes it makes literal plasma

whee!

What

And by that I mean

What

The absolute

Fuck

Science is so fucking cool y'all

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    The power of Sun-Maid

In the palm of my hand

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I miss the Pastizzi cafe that opens late in Sydney. Just the best.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I have become the kind of person that quietly makes sure they have quite a lot of shelf stable food and condiments stored away.

Thanks, the 2020s. Big ups, the news cycle. Couldn't have done it without you.

V1m wrote: »
    I have become the kind of person that quietly makes sure they have quite a lot of shelf stable food and condiments stored away.

Thanks, the 2020s. Big ups, the news cycle. Couldn't have done it without you.

I bought an entire extra pantry just for this.......

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I bought 36 tins of plum tomatoes. Yes, this is the future I dreamed of.

This discussion has been closed.