As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What sort of grease to use?

Ok.. weird one, thought I would try this one before hitting Help and Advice but the more the merrier.

We have an old massage chair from like the 60s that my wife loves the hell out of , it was pristine when we bought it at an estate sale.

Just recently it started making some terrible noises so we opened it up and I watched the mechanism do its thing.

So there is a shaft that rotates and that causes the rollers to go up and down, when it hits the end of its trip it the roller thingy pushes against a metal bar which flips a switch which then causes the rollers to reverse and go back up.

It was on the last part of the trip down where the horrible noise was coming from and to my uneducated eyes it seemed like it was a lubrication issue (the grease would be pretty damn old) so I used a little WD-40 and the noise stopped and all looked to be well..
right up until the rollers are making their way back up. It seems there is too much lubrication now which doesnt give whatever is grabbing the shaft (I assume some sort of bearings) enough torque or contact or friction for it to complete its trip up so it gets stuck.

I removed the excess WD-40 but I am pretty sure I need some sort of semi tacky machine grease to get this thing back in tip top shape.

Anyone know what sort of grease one should use in a case like this?

g6sg7mw7eags.jpg

In the photo you see the metal bar jutting out with another piece of metal oh so close to it.. that little part there is what will get pushed down to switch the direction of the rollers.

Tried looking online for something the manufacturer or some enthusiast might have put up but this is an old ass chair so I didnt have much luck.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    WD-40 is not a lubricant, it's a solvent. It will work briefly to lubricate because it's liquid, but you'll be back to your original problem pretty quickly.

I'd maybe try some bike chain oil to start if you have it, just to make sure there's nothing else mechanical going on there. If you want some real sticky grease, maybe some Red N Tacky will do the job.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Also possibly Nyogel?

White lithium grease?

If you have any around already those are probably ok. If not, there are probably cheaper options like the bike chain oil option above.

EDIT: Not nyogel, was getting lubricants mixed up. Nyogel is for electrical circuits/switches.

Bigity on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    I ended up using Red N Tacky and it worked enough but I still dont think it is the right formulation as while it does finish its trip up now it does have some clunks here and there again.. which my guess is the bearings or whatever is inside slipping but I am not about to dismantle that little carriage (nor do I think I could ) so she will just have to have it clunk from time to time.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041