As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

There's Actually Zero Difference Between Good & [Bad] Food

19596979899101»

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yea I live out in the country, and usually yearly I'm out of power for about a week or so. So a light level of prepping has always been in the cards, but these days I have probably about 30 days worth of long term shelf stable food for my wife, myself and my parents (if they came over to shelter), and about as much water.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I'm still eating potatoes I harvested last August, everyone should grow potatoes.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    How do you store your potatoes? I currently keep mine in a cabinet in the plastic bag they came in, and that's clearly not working. Seems like they get spongy and covered with horrible little tentacles if I don't cook them within a week.

I'm pretty sure this is the same thing my parents did and their taters lasted for ages, but that might have been the high plains climate doing a lot of the work.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Jedoc wrote: »
    How do you store your potatoes? I currently keep mine in a cabinet in the plastic bag they came in, and that's clearly not working. Seems like they get spongy and covered with horrible little tentacles if I don't cook them within a week.

I'm pretty sure this is the same thing my parents did and their taters lasted for ages, but that might have been the high plains climate doing a lot of the work.

Cool, dark, dry. The plastic bag is going to retain moisture which will make them sprout sooner. Better off in a paper bag or just an open container so they get some airflow. Fridge is actually too cold and they'll get sugary. ~50F is best but usually not practical unless you have an actual root cellar. Cabinet should be fine to keep them out of the light as long as it's not right next to your stove to make it warmer. Also don't store them next to onions, as that'll encourage them to sprout too. And make your onions go bad quicker too.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Loose in an open wire basket at the very back of the bottom shelf of the pantry. I’ve had mine last a month or two and still be totally fine, which is about as long as I’ve ever managed to make a basket full of potatoes last before I eat them all.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I can't even get white bread to last a week in summer in this apartment because of the humidity and moldy air conditioner

Potatos are even harder to keep honestly

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    What are doing with all these potatoes anyway?

This discussion has been closed.