As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

One [Elden] Ring to Rule Them All

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    A really straight forward Rivers of Blood build is the Sanguine Samurai for which there is a fexrtalife video about. And yeah, all points go into arcane

https://youtu.be/crm15QybWeA

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    This summon discussion reminds me I should try Blackflame Monk Amon sometime. I suspect he'll basically be diet Tiche, but diet Tiche still sounds pretty strong.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    I still love the Greatshield Soldiers. There's a suprising amount of bosses they can damn near lockdown permanently and it's very entertaining to watch. Their AI will even form a phalanx around you in response to taking a bunch of ranged damage.

Sadly too much of Melania's attacks are overheads and she shreds them to pieces.

Also the heal on hit ability makes the great shield boys a massive healing pool for her.

Which, when I saw for the first time, laughed very hard.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I can vouch for Oleg, very solid. Good at keeping aggro once he gets going, and helps poise-break bosses sometimes.

I finally snagged the 100%, finishing up my mostly-INT Frenzied Flame playthrough. I felt real dumb bashing my head against Radagon/EB for a few dozen attempts tho, then took a break to kill Astel, Stars of Darkness. Meteorite of Astel + free FP flask = literally one-shot EB.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited February 2023

Rise, Tarnished, and let us walk a new path together.
    An upcoming expansion for #ELDENRING Shadow of the Erdtree, is currently in development.
    We hope you look forward to new adventures in the Lands Between.

45q5lkah6xg9.jpg

HELL YEAH HELL YEAH YEAH YEAH

Veldrin on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Woo, this is what I've been waiting for. Knew there had to be expansions for a Souls game.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    LET'S FUCKING GO

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    "currently in development" is such weird language, and the lack of date or trailer makes me think we won't be seeing that until the end of the year

Guess they wanted a lot of hands on Armored Core

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    "currently in development" is such weird language, and the lack of date or trailer makes me think we won't be seeing that until the end of the year

Guess they wanted a lot of hands on Armored Core

I'm hoping that after the game made bank they upped the scope of the DLC ( s )

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    I get the sense from basically no evidence that they weren't planning DLC at all until whoops it was a much bigger hit than they predicted so they got started with planning it late. They may have had to shuffle some future plans around to fit in the time for developing it.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I get the sense from basically no evidence that they weren't planning DLC at all until whoops it was a much bigger hit than they predicted so they got started with planning it late. They may have had to shuffle some future plans around to fit in the time for developing it.

Except DS2, DS3, and Bloodbourne all had DLC so I would be shocked if they had zero plans. My guess was they had ideas but planned to base the scope of expansion off the reception.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    DS1 too, Artorias of the Abyss. They all had DLC and they had announced their plans for it faster, at launch for 2 and 3 with season passes, which I suppose is the main reason I suspect they were caught off guard with ER, it took a year to announce without even a release window yet.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    And of course, very little to go on about what this expansion is about. Personally, im hoping for miquella focus, with shadow of the erdtree perhaps referring to the haligtree as a kind of shadow

• Options
    OOoOOo. I just saw the promo image. Miquella looking more likely. Love it.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    That's 100% Miquella, yeah

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    DS1 too, Artorias of the Abyss. They all had DLC and they had announced their plans for it faster, at launch for 2 and 3 with season passes, which I suppose is the main reason I suspect they were caught off guard with ER, it took a year to announce without even a release window yet.

Or they were just factoring in how their own plans often change. IIRC, Bloodborne was originally planned to have two DLCs that were smaller than The Old Hunters but they changed their plans mid-development.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

We knew several months ago the DLC was going to be huge from datamining, as additional area and boss slots got added to the games code. Which means that was also likely months old.

And I think anyone who had been paying attention to the self-generated hype knew Elden Ring would be huge. Maybe not 20 million units huge but huge nonetheless.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Any DLC that's proportional in scope to the base game was likely going to take a while from the get go, so i'm not surprised that it took a year to even announce it. You can ship an Ashes of Ariendel in six or seven months because it takes like two hours to play through. I'm not sure what the dev timeline looks like for an expansion of a 150 hour game.

Elendil on
  • Options
    I dunno why we would assume anything about the size of the DLC based on the datamined stuff, of course there would be a new area and new bosses, that doesn't really imply anything

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I dunno why we would assume anything about the size of the DLC based on the datamined stuff, of course there would be a new area and new bosses, that doesn't really imply anything

Because it included new legacy dungeon area files, 30 boss flags, new weapon types, 16 NPC slots, and map changes at the divine towers?

Like, it's a significant bit of real estate that got put into the game for the DLC. It's not going to tell us exactly how big it is, but we can make some educated guesses based on the ratio of used to unused boss flags in the main game, which puts the boss count at 15ish. I think we can at least guess they're trying to get a DLC that's the same proportional to the main quest from the DS games.

Either way, the quality of the content is more important than the quantity.

• Options
    30 is a fairly large number! alright then

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    30 is a fairly large number! alright then

You could fit so many Erdtree Avatars and Tree Spirits in there!

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    And Rune Bears and Crucible Knights and Magma Wyrms and Fallingstar Beasts and Burial Watchdogs!

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    I look forward to finding all of the night cavs in the DLC on my first character and then still finding new night cavs on all of my subsequent characters.

cB557 on
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    They might repeat enemies in the DLC, but it won't be from the base game.

Or they will be, but very very different versions. If there's one thing Fromsoft is good at, it's enemy variety. There's like 200 different enemies (non-bosses) in the main game. All of the DLC's I've played from them introduced places with 90% new enemy types.

By comparison, Breath of the Wild has less than 20 enemy types.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    I think they should include one ulcerated tree spirit in the DLC just for funnies

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    more funkay enemies please

https://youtu.be/qUHbsxyzNso

• Options
    edited March 2023
    I think they should include one ulcerated tree spirit in the DLC just for funnies
    one of transforming larval tear guys turns into one like 8 steps in is the way to go

Elendil on
  • Options
    I always hated the "Elden Ring only has 9 unique bosses" or whatever argument. Tbf, 9 is still kind of a lot. But also, they act like if a boss is re-used, it might as well have not even existed.

• Options
    burbo wrote: »
    I always hated the "Elden Ring only has 9 unique bosses" or whatever argument. Tbf, 9 is still kind of a lot. But also, they act like if a boss is re-used, it might as well have not even existed.

I’m totally fine with reusing bosses, I think complaints about it are overblown, but you gotta admit the ulcerated tree spirits are used so often that someone on the team knew what they were doing and thought it was hilarious

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    The ulcerated Tree Spirit is the huge one that got stuffed in the little room at the end of the Hero's Grave, right? The Putrid Tree was the dude with the staff and butt attack?

I don't care about reused minibosses cause there's different ways to fight them, I do get annoyed when a massive boss is stuffed in a tiny room!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

I’m totally fine with reusing bosses, I think complaints about it are overblown, but you gotta admit the ulcerated tree spirits are used so often that someone on the team knew what they were doing and thought it was hilarious

Fromsoft has a long and storied history of playfully trolling their fans. Sit at the bonfire at Ash Lake before teleportation? Open a Mimic? Whoops you accidentally put yourself in hard mode in DS2? The hollow with firebombs right next to explosive barrels in DS3?

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Fromsoft has a long and storied history of playfully trolling their fans. Sit at the bonfire at Ash Lake before teleportation? Open a Mimic? Whoops you accidentally put yourself in hard mode in DS2? The hollow with firebombs right next to explosive barrels in DS3?

Random low level zombie in Elden Ring transforms into Fuck You Bear when hit

• Options

I suppose, but it just makes me think of them more like, say, Rune Bears, than Rykard. More re-used minibosses-ish and minor speedbump than major game milestone.

That being said, i kind of hated the tree spirits since i felt like, despite fighting them a dozen times, i could never really "learn" them. Just had to pop a spirit ash, and hope i could burn them down before their thrashing two shotted me.

• Options
    Also, Ill say that when i got to fight another Astel, or ancestor ghost deer my reaction was "sweet, i love this fight", and the game doesnt have a way to refight bosses. So, what if reused bosses are good, actually?

• Options
    edited March 2023
    I got really good at ulcerated tree spirits by co-oping the one in the closet under the starting area's chariot dungeon at a fairly low level until I was really good at reading the animations and figuring out what I could stand inside of and not get hit (surprisingly a lot of its regular moves, under its left shoulder kinda area), what I could block through (most of the stuff that couldn't be stood inside of, none of it multihits so you can just eat a guard break and be fine) and what I had to run away from (mostly just the explosion, sometimes the rear back and charge grab, the grab was definitely the most dangerous move)

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Yeah the thing about the ulcerated tree spirits was that I eventually learned all their moves and knew what was safe, and then they were never a problem or a challenge ever again

And then they put like three of them in one area near the very end of the game and I knew someone was laughing somewhere in Japan

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    the explosion move still hits me every single time

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    just realized that the ring you use to summon Torrent is also a whistle, which means that it's a very special ring.
    https://youtu.be/uboKn-Lm5cA

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Yeah the thing about the ulcerated tree spirits was that I eventually learned all their moves and knew what was safe, and then they were never a problem or a challenge ever again

And then they put like three of them in one area near the very end of the game and I knew someone was laughing somewhere in Japan

Honestly, I think the most obnoxious one by far is the one at the base of the Haligtree. After a few attempts that all ended with my getting geometry'd off in some new, weird way, I just stood across the ravine and shot it to death.