As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

One [Elden] Ring to Rule Them All

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Worst enemies remain the Royal Revenants

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Astel....

Someone liked the Astel fight!

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Yeah the thing about the ulcerated tree spirits was that I eventually learned all their moves and knew what was safe, and then they were never a problem or a challenge ever again

And then they put like three of them in one area near the very end of the game and I knew someone was laughing somewhere in Japan

Thankfully it was pretty easy to sneak around them and grab the item, then port out. Did give me a "are you kidding" thought when i first got there.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Astel....

Waves of darkness was so infuriating to me because it's like, you can't roll it, it catches you in recovery. You can't jump it, it catches you in recovery. You can't effectively block it, it's magic damage and you're liable to get camera screwed anyway. It was just a bullshit estus tax you hoped it didn't use too often. So it broke me a bit when on my like six or seventh time fighting one I realized that the entire time all I had to do was sprint away from it. It always looked like it spread too far, too fast for that to work unless you already had some distance, but no you've got some pretty good leeway with it unless you lock yourself into a particularly long animation at the wrong time.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Astel....

Waves of darkness was so infuriating to me because it's like, you can't roll it, it catches you in recovery. You can't jump it, it catches you in recovery. You can't effectively block it, it's magic damage and you're liable to get camera screwed anyway. It was just a bullshit estus tax you hoped it didn't use too often. So it broke me a bit when on my like six or seventh time fighting one I realized that the entire time all I had to do was sprint away from it. It always looked like it spread too far, too fast for that to work unless you already had some distance, but no you've got some pretty good leeway with it unless you lock yourself into a particularly long animation at the wrong time.

I had already gone through that exact learning process with Ebrietas in Bloodborne so that part of the fight never bothered me. The timing of his double tail whip was tough for me though.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    I just bonked Astel on the head. Never knew his fight was so hated until talking to other people about it

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    He's easy to run into while actually pretty under-leveled. I think that's at least part of the problem.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I remember having a hard time with Astel on my first playthrough; recently I'd improved enough to handle him okay once I figured out which spells to use

(the answer is always Rock Sling)

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Astel is fine in the normal game. It does not work properly when randomized to a different arena though. Something about that causes the teleport grab to come out instantly with no warning, and it sucks.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Guess who has Tiche now? Guess who's laughing as she murders everything?

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Been testing out the Nightmaiden & Swordstress as a new ash, liking them a bunch.

They're squishy, so they can get taken down pretty easily in the wrong circumstances, but they fight together in a very specific manner that seems almost designed to be irritating to enemies. Decent damage and quite good at stunlocking, essentially.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

I accidentally discovered an easy kill for them

Throw down an AOE heal spell

Even better when you know where one is going to spawn so you get a free hit that takes down half their health bar before they fully load in

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

I accidentally discovered an easy kill for them

Throw down an AOE heal spell

Even better when you know where one is going to spawn so you get a free hit that takes down half their health bar before they fully load in

Thank you to whoever left a pretty good hint message about this weakness next to the ruins in leyndell I first encountered that class of enemies in

BahamutZERO.gif
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Makes for a decent farming run in Elphael Brace of the Haligtree…there are 5 (or 4 maybe?) in fairly close proximity and they all drop around 12k apiece

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • burboburbo Registered User regular
    I learned that trick from one of the notes the merchant sells. Also, the only way i survived revenant alley at all. That place is awful

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Yeah with a good AOE heal, you stun them so you can cast it again and kill them

And IIRC it doesn't just stun them, it stance breaks them, so you can critical them

BahamutZERO.gif
    edited March 2023
    I just bonked Astel on the head. Never knew his fight was so hated until talking to other people about it

It's the teleport OHKO Astel has in the armory. If they don't use it then thr fight is fine.

If they use it... Well it is a teleport OHKO. What the fuck From.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

Astel's regular grab: telegraphed, wind up so slow enough time to make cup of tea before dodging, survivable
    Astel's teleport grab: fast, wind up happens out of your line of sight, instant kill.

It is the work of sadists.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure I've survived it before? It does most of your health bar so you'd want to top off, and if you're going low vigor it might not be survivable, but I also don't think I was going super tanky when I've survived it.

cB557 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I've survived it before? It does most of your health bar so you'd want to top off, and if you're going low vigor it might not be survivable, but I also don't think I was going super tanky when I've survived it.

Astel has two grabs and a pseudo grab.

As far as I'm aware the grab-after-teleport is instant death, the other two are just very high damage.

Certainly see people complaing about dying to it at full health with 40 vigor. At that level if it is technically survivable it is not practically so.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Attacks that 1 shot you off screen are less than ideal design. By the end it was really annoying.

Arise, ye thread

4t7ojs6b86z5.png

BahamutZERO.gif
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 20
    this is very good timing for me personally

wait just a trailer... oh well, still excited

KalTorak on
    I have to assume they'll give a release date with the trailer, or at least I hope they do.
    Super curious how big this DLC will be compared to past Souls game DLCs, given how long they've been cooking it.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    I wonder how Peas is doing. I hope they look back at their time drawing feet and awaiting the Elden Ring with fondness.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I have to assume they'll give a release date with the trailer, or at least I hope they do.
    Super curious how big this DLC will be compared to past Souls game DLCs, given how long they've been cooking it.

I have to imagine it'll be their biggest DLC, the same way Elden Ring was their biggest game

I mean I'm gonna keep my expectations in check, just in case, but given how long Elden Ring took and then its absurd amount of content? Wouldn't surprise me

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    DLC turns out to be just as big as Elden Ring with equivalent landmass, storyline, and equally comparable How Long to Beat average time

• Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    It better be the best horse armour I've ever seen

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I'm definitely curious how this will land. I'll probably get it despite my whole worst best game I've ever played feelings on Elden Ring.

Now will I start an entirely new game? That I've no idea. Signs point to yes, but we'll see.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    https://youtu.be/qLZenOn7WUo?si=OaH7GejhmTX27-ln

skip over the countdown, starts at 29:00

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    DLC turns out to be just as big as Elden Ring with equivalent landmass, storyline, and equally comparable How Long to Beat average time

its a standalone as well apparently so seems you might be correct!

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    That is a lot of new enemies

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 21
    Zavian wrote: »

Where did you hear that?

The official website and the Steam page both call it an expansion. The Steam page even specifically says "*Shadow of the Erdtree content requires the base game product."

Peewi on
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited February 21
    Peewi wrote: »
    Zavian wrote: »

Where did you hear that?

The official website and the Steam page both call it an expansion. The Steam page even specifically says "*Shadow of the Erdtree content requires the base game product."

oh huh I just assumed it was cause it was getting its own collectors edition
    p0m9g7kuiv2e.png

Zavian on
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    man there's a lot of awesome shit in that trailer...
    nice detail I noticed, that his snakes have wings on them
    ez66fxul58hk.png

I assume Giant Pot is a new consumable
    g42lxv36crlu.png

Most importantly
    uwgspt7cpub4.png
    Dankukyaku!
    ugh... hope there's a pink gi I can find to do a Dan Hibiki playthrough

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    He wields love to shrive clean the hearts of men. There is nothing more terrifying.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    So, going by the trailer:
    touch miquelas hand as the entry to travel to a shadow world?

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    edited February 21
    According to an interview, the size of the DLC is approximately an area the scope of limgrave, plus maybe stormveil since he mentions there will be legacy dungeons, to set expectations

https://nordic.ign.com/elden-ring-shadow-of-the-erdtree/79057/news/exclusive-hidetaka-miyazaki-answers-all-of-our-shadow-of-the-erdtree-questions-ign-fan-fest-2024

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    According to an interview, the size of the DLC is approximately an area the scope of limgrave, plus maybe stormveil since he mentions there will be legacy dungeons, to set expectations

https://nordic.ign.com/elden-ring-shadow-of-the-erdtree/79057/news/exclusive-hidetaka-miyazaki-answers-all-of-our-shadow-of-the-erdtree-questions-ign-fan-fest-2024

whats really interesting to me is the answer given about GRRM's involvement, which suggests his story bible covered even MORE than what we saw in Elden Ring
    The way George Martin's story has been incorporated is the same as it was with the base game with Elden Ring. And to avoid misunderstanding there, we just want to point out that he hasn't written anything exclusively and new for the sake of this DLC.

But it would still be fair to say that he and his mythos that he created for us are involved in the creation of Shadow of the Erdtree in the same way. And the reason for that is that in making the base game and making Elden Ring, we took from that mythos, but we only took one part of it. We took from a part that created the story of Elden Ring and created the world that we wanted to envision, and the Shadow of the Erdtree is yet another part of that original mythos that he wrote and that has inspired us to create the story of this DLC.