As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Game On: Final Fantasy XI

• The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Is the game still populated with players? I will be reactivating once I am not piss poor, now that things have kind of settled here.

The Sneak! on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The Sneak! wrote:
    Is the game still populated with players? I will be reactivating once I am not piss poor, now that things have kind of settled here.

Yeah. I was a little worried about that myself, but then I went to Jeuno and the place is still crowded as ever.

Javen on
  • nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Javen wrote:
    The Sneak! wrote:

Yeah. I was a little worried about that myself, but then I went to Jeuno and the place is still crowded as ever.

Jeuno is a ghost town compared to Aht Urghan.
    Al Zahbi is lag with a ribbon of humanity wrapped around it.

And I need some help with an intervention.
    I play with 5 others who live here and our tank is anti-bandwagon.
    Basically if a lot of people do it, he wants something new.

We've been through:
    WHM/WAR
    RDM/WAR
    NIN/WAR (too bandwagon, so he quit)
    RDM/NIN (worked b/c we had 2 thieves)
    and now... PLD/SMN.

Please. Someone. Help us.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Oh man. I hate when people get rabidly anti-bandwagon/cookie-cutter. This is not a fair game people. All job/subjob combinations are not made equal. Pld/Smn? Jesus Christ on stilts.

Cilla Black on
  • XheroXhero la contr'une Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Zilla84 wrote:
    Oh man. I hate when people get rabidly anti-bandwagon/cookie-cutter. This is not a fair game people. All job/subjob combinations are not made equal. Pld/Smn? Jesus Christ on stilts.

It's not that PLD/SMN doesn't "worK" (in its own pathetic way), it's that it's so goddamned painful to everyone else.

Xhero on
  • FierceDeity666FierceDeity666 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    motivator8879922.jpg
    made this and felt it needed to be here.

FierceDeity666 on
    edited December 2006
    It doesn't work at all, actually. The only conceivable reason to sub summoner would be for the +1 mp a tick, and maybe to sub Phalanxga or Blinkga. (Which is a huge waste of mp the pld should be using for heals anyway) If he's crazy enough to be one of those pld who wants a ton of mp and thinks more of it can make up for the lack of voke, he could at least sub whm like the rest of the nutters. Or play a Taru, who are pretty damn awesome plds if played skillfully. I think it's stupid that the only way to tank properly in a party setting is to sub warrior, but that's just the way it is. Suck it up people.

Although they've been making some pretty kickass changes all around to jobs lately. Maybe we'll see something soon that will change some things.

Edit: Heh, Valkurm isn't even like that anymore. Instead of a mass of stupid people getting everyone killed in new and uniquely stupid ways, you've got a mass of stupid being coddled by powerlevelers and never becoming smart. But at least it's not so hellish anymore.

Cilla Black on
    edited December 2006
    Zilla84 wrote:
    It doesn't work at all, actually. The only conceivable reason to sub summoner would be for the +1 mp a tick, and maybe to sub Phalanxga or Blinkga. (Which is a huge waste of mp the pld should be using for heals anyway) If he's crazy enough to be one of those pld who wants a ton of mp and thinks more of it can make up for the lack of voke, he could at least sub whm like the rest of the nutters. Or play a Taru, who are pretty damn awesome plds if played skillfully. I think it's stupid that the only way to tank properly in a party setting is to sub warrior, but that's just the way it is. Suck it up people.

Although they've been making some pretty kickass changes all around to jobs lately. Maybe we'll see something soon that will change some things.

who said he needed to tank ヽ(´―`)ノ

Xhero on
    edited December 2006
    I want to be a Samurai again. Probably sub Warrior.

Luckily I'm in a rather helpful Linkshell (They OFFERED to help me with my rank 3 mission) so doing the advanced job quests won't be the tedious journey it was before.

Javen on
    edited December 2006
    I don't want to sound totally down on him... He does do his research.
    RDM/NIN works surprisingly well... Shadows + curing self + phalanx, etc.
    The problem is you really need a thief to stick it on before the party can do anything. So if the two thieves were off in their timing and didn't get a properly lined up Trick Attack off, then even a haste could pull hate.

PLD/SMN I have less faith in, simply because we don't even have any thieves this run through. So it will be interesting. But he's not going to stick with it if it doesn't work.

I actually went RNG/THF for a long while (before everyone just -expects- /NIN)... It was nice. Bit of AGI from the sub, plus Flee pulling is nice.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Every time I have logged in recently, no one has been inviting for parties. I have sat around a while, and then gone and played something else.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    neville wrote:
    The problem is you really need a thief to stick it on before the party can do anything. So if the two thieves were off in their timing and didn't get a properly lined up Trick Attack off, then even a haste could pull hate.

PLD/SMN I have less faith in, simply because we don't even have any thieves this run through. So it will be interesting. But he's not going to stick with it if it doesn't work.

I actually went RNG/THF for a long while (before everyone just -expects- /NIN)... It was nice. Bit of AGI from the sub, plus Flee pulling is nice.

There's no conceivable way smn sub will do shit in a tanking situation. PLDs have a hard enough time keeping hate off good DDs with war sub. Even having a thf is NOT going to make up for lack of voke. Pld/nin is acceptable in certain situations with melees SATAing them and they have lots of +emn and merits ie kings, gods etc. Smn sub is just bad.

And rng/thf is pretty meh. I subbed it for a bit on my rng but was less that impressed with the results. If you're totally against nin (which is silly, because offhanding another hawker/trailer etc nearly makes up for the lack of useful traits) then war is better for dmg output anyway.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
    edited December 2006
    Dangerous wrote:
    neville wrote:

There's no conceivable way smn sub will do shit in a tanking situation. PLDs have a hard enough time keeping hate off good DDs with war sub. Even having a thf is NOT going to make up for lack of voke. Pld/nin is acceptable in certain situations with melees SATAing them and they have lots of +emn and merits ie kings, gods etc. Smn sub is just bad.

And rng/thf is pretty meh. I subbed it for a bit on my rng but was less that impressed with the results. If you're totally against nin (which is silly, because offhanding another hawker/trailer etc nearly makes up for the lack of useful traits) then war is better for dmg output anyway.

Oh, I know, he's going to realize /SMN is silly. I just don't want to die a bunch before he does. :P

And RNG/THF isn't that bad. RNG/SAM is going to be more viable now because of the SAM improvements... But my SAM is only 16.
    And I'm not totally against NIN sub, I'm just saying I didn't have it levelled before.

But I'm 74 RNG, so my RACC is fine, so I'm probably going to go with a hakwer + francisca (once I go kill Aquarius) or something.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
    edited December 2006
    yeah, /SAM is going to be freaking huge. expect loads of DRK/SAM, DRG/SAM, and WAR/SAM.

FierceDeity666 on
    edited December 2006
    yeah, /SAM is going to be freaking huge. expect loads of DRK/SAM, DRG/SAM, and WAR/SAM.

And RNG/SAM
    Use a Vulcan's Staff and the new abilities... wee

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
    edited December 2006
    Just by reading the threads on the KI forums it doesn't sound like sam sub is any better than war for most melees. I could be talking out my ass here, but I remember checking out the forums to see what mnk was missing out on. The parses I saw were a little disheartening, with most saying the haste/atk/acc wasn't enough to push it ahead..though combined with meditate and zanshin it seems like it would make a pretty fine sub to me.

I'm guessing like a lot of subs it will be really useful in certain situations, but not the new be-all end-all sub people thought it would be.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
    edited December 2006
    Dangerous wrote:
    Just by reading the threads on the KI forums it doesn't sound like sam sub is any better than war for most melees. I could be talking out my ass here, but I remember checking out the forums to see what mnk was missing out on. The parses I saw were a little disheartening, with most saying the haste/atk/acc wasn't enough to push it ahead..though combined with meditate and zanshin it seems like it would make a pretty fine sub to me.

I'm guessing like a lot of subs it will be really useful in certain situations, but not the new be-all end-all sub people thought it would be.

Well, besides stats, which WAR probably will have a slight edge on, all I get from Warrior is Berserk.
    Double attack = useless for RNG
    Warcry = useless for RNG

Sam:
    Hasso: Grants a bonus to attack speed, accuracy, and Strength when using two-handed weapons.
    Seigan (for when I pull hate): Grants a bonus to Third Eye when using two-handed weapons
    Zanshin
    Meditate (only 60% for a sub, but still that's an extra 60% TP)

I suppose SAM's usefulness is diminished as a sub if I don't use a two-handed weapon, but I was considering grabbing a Vulcan Staff and trying it. I think you're right that it would be less useful for some other jobs.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
    edited December 2006
    neville wrote:
    Dangerous wrote:

Well, besides stats, which WAR probably will have a slight edge on, all I get from Warrior is Berserk.
    Double attack = useless for RNG
    Warcry = useless for RNG

Sam:
    Hasso: Grants a bonus to attack speed, accuracy, and Strength when using two-handed weapons.
    Seigan (for when I pull hate): Grants a bonus to Third Eye when using two-handed weapons
    Zanshin
    Meditate (only 60% for a sub, but still that's an extra 60% TP)

I suppose SAM's usefulness is diminished as a sub if I don't use a two-handed weapon, but I was considering grabbing a Vulcan Staff and trying it. I think you're right that it would be less useful for some other jobs.

Examining /sam for rng all I really see being useful at all is the STR and meditate. Haste and acc don't affect ranged attacks at all. And with vulcan staff meleeing would be useless anyway. Zanshin is useless, seigan is less reliable than utsusemi.

I guess what it comes down to is whether the str and meditate is better than berzerk and warcry (which is as useful for rng as any other job), or the bonus you'd get from off-handing another ranger knife/axe. Correct me if I'm wrong, but with sharpshot the distance penalties are nullifed so with war or nin subbed you could also melee for extra tp while it's up.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'm thinking of picking back up during christmas. Any world passes for carbuncle left? Also, I'm thinking of going mnk or war, or mabey rng. Though I can't remember if rng is a base class or not.

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
    edited December 2006
    ZeroZero wrote:
    I'm thinking of picking back up during christmas. Any world passes for carbuncle left? Also, I'm thinking of going mnk or war, or mabey rng. Though I can't remember if rng is a base class or not.

Rng is an advanced job. Also it can get pretty expensive for arrows and bullets and stuff, so it's not usually recommended as a first job. mnk and war are 2 awesome DDs. WAR is a good job to level first because if you plan on leveling pretty much any other melee or tank job you'll need it to sub at some point. MNK would be my choice..but then I am pretty biased there. Monks can be expensive to gear properly and they're not the best DDs till around the 40s when they get access to some great stuff.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
    edited December 2006
    WAR is a good first job, but so is THF.
    Having Treasure Hunter + Gilfinder + Steal = extra money that realls helps when you're poor.

And man, nobody is on my damn server.
    Probably because nobody wants to type out Quetzalcoatl when they input their World Pass. Blah. :P

I don't find RNG nearly as expensive as it used to be though, at least on Quetzi... Due to the RMT beatdowns, things are a lot cheaper. In fact, I'm kinda bummed I rarely even nab 2k for a stack of any type of crystals.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    ZeroZero wrote:

Say when you are ready to start, and the World passes will flow.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited December 2006
    I don't know if there is a certain shelf life to them, but Xhero was nice enough to provide me with a World Pass to Carbuncle when I started up again, and there was still about four uses left on it. The code was posted not too far back in this very thread.

Javen on
    edited December 2006
    I'm baaaaack.

The Sneak! on
    edited December 2006
    The Sneak! wrote:
    I'm baaaaack.

rank five tonight imo

e: CHOCOBO HOT AND COLD MY GOD YESSSSS

Xhero on
    edited December 2006
    Got a decent merit party last night so I could try to grind out the last 32k til I ding 75.... Got about 7k then my internet died. ; ;

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
    edited December 2006
    Xhero wrote:
    The Sneak! wrote:
    I'm baaaaack.

rank five tonight imo

e: CHOCOBO HOT AND COLD MY GOD YESSSSS

I will be far too tired for that.

The Sneak! on
    edited December 2006
    they're bringing in chocobo hot and cold from FFIX?

you're serious?

FierceDeity666 on
    edited December 2006

you're serious?

someone explain this to me?

Oh, and world passes are only good for 1 week.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2006

you're serious?

It's a hunting game. You dig, and you get either "hot" or "cold", depending on how close you are to an item. You just keep going until you find the item.

A duck! on
    edited December 2006
    A duck! wrote:

you're serious?

It's a hunting game. You dig, and you get either "hot" or "cold", depending on how close you are to an item. You just keep going until you find the item.

And of course you have to feed the chocobo each dig, or did they remove the need for greens during this mini-game?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2006
    A duck! wrote:

you're serious?

And of course you have to feed the chocobo each dig, or did they remove the need for greens during this mini-game?

I believe you had to feed.

A duck! on
    edited December 2006
    It was kinda tedious, but one of the only ways to get the really good stuff in IX.

Cilla Black on
    edited December 2006
    3 manned the rank 3 Windurst dragon.

2 Warriors and a Summoner

We also beat the record by like 45 seconds

Javen on
    edited December 2006
    That is a fun mission, but I have never been able to find an Astral Flow attack that does shit for damage against the dragon.

Cilla Black on
    edited December 2006
    Zilla84 wrote:
    That is a fun mission, but I have never been able to find an Astral Flow attack that does shit for damage against the dragon.

Have you tried since the Summoner changes?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited December 2006
    I had every intention of logging in last night to gain a level or two with my WHM, to get it up to 37 so I don't have to worry about doing it later. BRD is going to continue to be my main.

But I was so deliriously tired. I just came home from work, and passed out from 7:30 PM until I had to get up for work this morning at 5:50 AM.

So, yeah. If anyone wants to group up tonight, I'll be on as my 30 WHM. I have to re-level him up since I leveled down to 29, but I only need like 400 or 500 to do that.

The Sneak! on
    edited December 2006
    So how do you raise a chocobo?

That reminds me, I really need to re-download Aht Urghan.

The Sneak! on
    edited December 2006
    The Sneak! wrote:
    So how do you raise a chocobo?

That reminds me, I really need to re-download Aht Urghan.

What do you mean re-download it? Did you get it from a direct to drive type source?

As for raising a Chocobo, you buy an egg from the mithra girl in Rue'lude gardens, or pick one up in some specific BC fights. Alternativly, you can do a quest out of Upper Jeuno for your first egg.

Once you get an egg, take it to one of the starting cities. There will be NPCs there you can give them to so as to start the hatching process.

It will take about a RL month for the bird to grow up. Once the bird reaches adult stage, there will be a mini quest type of thing that you can do to get a Chocobo whistle. The whistle will allow you to call the bird while in adventure areas.

I took care of my bird, so my whistle had 25 uses. I have heard from one person who ignored his bird that he only gets whistles with 1 use before having to replace it.

I haven;t replaced a whistle yet, but I think doing so will cost 500 gil. Can anyone confirm this?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited December 2006
    Well, I bought the actual copy in the store, but that's kind of in Florida right now, so I'll have to download it.

The Sneak! on