As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Apex Legends]: Breakout is here! 5 years of ApeLegs!

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Okay, good chat.

Why are you like this?
    Why did you start asking ignorant questions and tripledown when it was obvious you missed something?

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Ho boy. You seem to have read more into my one line question than was actually there. Hopefully you're okay. Good luck in your matches.

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    foetv8z5a0od.png

the TDM quitting problem is wild, I won a game while down nine points

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I'm completely flummoxed by this whole thing, I've been playing shooters as long as there have been shooters and I've never seen a player base so completely determined to fuck up everyone else's time. Am I just not playing the right things, are people quitting COD matches en masse if they start to go bad? Does everyone just quit immediately if they're sad in Overwatch or Counter-Strike?

• mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    People quit COD and Halo matches all the time, but players get backfilled to keep the game moving. Backfill is supposed to exist here but it clearly doesn’t work, so once a couple people quit the game is unplayable.

I just haven't seen it snowball like this and of course you're right, of course it's the lack of backfill, but it's still startling.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Backfill is supposed to exist in Apex? I’ve literally never seen it happen once.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    Anecdotally, it has been much better for me in the last few days.

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    foetv8z5a0od.png

the TDM quitting problem is wild, I won a game while down nine points

The vast majority of games I’ve played lately are decided in the first fight.

The team that falls behind just loses half their team; maybe one will be afk in a corner somewhere.

There’s no reason for sticking around, no punishment for leaving, no punishment in being inactive.

Even if you’re winning, it might be best to leave early because once it turns in to 5vs2 the round drags. Is there even any m thing for winning?

It was a nice edition for a bit but it’s been so poorly implemented.

PSN Fleety2009
  • OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    Just bring back the control mode. It was way more fun. You could die and kill way more than in the TDM and everyone didn't quit from hurt egos. The objectives obfuscated the potential for one-sided fights, and folks could upend the apple cart by back-capping the enemy's home base.

It was a much more welcoming space to play in, I found.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I love the new TDM mode but it is unplayable with all the quitting.

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I've been very much enjoying the TDM mode, I've barely touched BR since the season started! Not having any system to prevent or backfill quit outs is annoying, and I've found matches with one or two preds/high skill players mixed in are pretty awful, but other than that I've been having a positive time with it.

(Though it is pretty funny that it'll say 'searching for new player' if someone quits even though that's pretty clearly a lie, I've never joined or seen anyone join an ongoing match.)

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I had a TDM game where we were up 25 12 and then 2 guys on the winning team quit.
    We won 50 47 but it felt weird.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    I often quit games where we’re obviously curb stomping the other team. It’s no fun getting dogpiled on and I don’t feel great wiping out people that are obviously having trouble fighting back, I would rather just drop into a different match.

I miss Arenas, I actually think that mode was extremely well tuned relative to Control or TDM (of those two I favor Control generally)

I didn't play Arenas much beyond the season that it launched in but in my experience that mode also had a fair amount of quitting and it was way, way more impactful. I can keep playing a TDM match if one or two people on my team quit and still get some good practice in, if even one person quit on your Arenas team then you were toast and it was extremely unfun.

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    If you're wanting to get some good practice on things, then Control is a better mode, mainly because people don't seem to mind losing (hence why they fight nowhere near the control points).

I played about 10 TDM games yesterday, and not one didn't involve people quitting. No way it can come back without some kind of mercy rule, some type of AFK check, or quitting early penalty.

PSN Fleety2009
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    I miss Arenas, I actually think that mode was extremely well tuned relative to Control or TDM (of those two I favor Control generally)

I do understand their decision though, Arenas was supposed to be a "more relaxed" quick in-and-out alternative to battle royale, and it did the complete opposite. However; I think it was much better at making teams understand their character's powers for team play than what the TDM modes do.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    As we're seeing with... every LTM they've ever released, unless you have a full premade group (if that's even possible, and it isn't always), they will suffer from people leaving the moment they aren't in the lead, and sometimes even then (or before the match has properly started).

The fact that backfilling larger modes apparently doesn't work (from what I read on Reddit) and that they laughably neglected to sort out an early leaver punishment and/or what happens when one team leaves entirely is maddening and also charmingly naive.

Like, this is a community that has endless threads complaining about randoms rushing into fights, stubbing their pinky toe and disconnecting before their shields are even broken, and they didn't think to consider what would happen if the score was 10 to 8 and half the lower team just up and bailed, followed shortly thereafter by the rest of them?

I wanted to like Arenas as a quick and easy way to warm up, to improve my gunfighting technique and aim, but far too often I had someone disconnect, or go afk, or not even show up in the first place. In the BR mode at least I can use a multi-team fight to help add to the confusion. I can go full Silent Snake on a Ranked mode and try to leverage placement on whatever kills my team and I may have managed.

In a straight up fight as most of these things are, there's no such benefit. Sure, you get the occasional heartwarming tale on Reddit about the enemy team on a 3v1 suiciding two into the ring for a fair matchup, or making it a boxing match for laughs, but far more often you get a bunch of sweatlords shooting off and teabagging like they just won a million bucks. Sure thing, duders, that 3v1 was a real challenge.

Which is why when it was down to that, I'd just take off my armour and grenade myself. Deny them the damage/kills such types so often seem to crave. If my fellow players and the matchmaking don't respect my time, I'm not going to be a good little bit of prey to be hunted for sport.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    As the video title says, I legit cannot believe this worked.

https://youtu.be/1Jo3i9nWUJ0

• OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    The Ash heirloom is boring, and they really needed to turn the multiple cool weapons she already had into the heirloom. Instead she gets ugly nun-chucks?

That Caustic prestige skin, though?

tx7js4jdjiqa1.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&v=enabled&s=565a1ee6e616fda0402ae09ca690a90d22a768b7

Go Go Gas Daddy .

The Ash heirloom is boring, and they really needed to turn the multiple cool weapons she already had into the heirloom. Instead she gets ugly nun-chucks?

That Caustic prestige skin, though?

tx7js4jdjiqa1.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&v=enabled&s=565a1ee6e616fda0402ae09ca690a90d22a768b7

Go Go Gas Daddy .

That's caustic? Jeez it looks like Rev to me. I'm getting worse at identifying the legends with skins.

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    Ash's heirloom should have been sai's, I have no idea what they were thinking with knife-chucks

ronzo on
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I was thinking it could've been some sort of fancy sci-fi scabbard for her normal sword, or a matching off-hand short sword if they wanted to run with the inexplicable ninja theme she has going, but, yeah, the nunchucks might be my least favourite heirloom so far. Rat emote is good tho.

None of the prestige skins have been interesting to me so far, at least with the heirlooms I like that they're something that matches with the characters background or personality, but the prestige skins all just seem like unrelated 'cool robot' designs to me.

I've been basically just playing the mixtape mode all season, but I was playing some BR with my siblings this week, and to get some points on the event tracker, and, I dunno, maybe I'm not cut out for BR, it's not nearly as much fun as the deathmatch mode for me these days!

I like the idea of the prestige skins, but I also don't play often enough/well enough to really justify it.

I got the Bloodhound one, and yeah, I get it, some folks knock off 130,000 damage in like a long weekend. When the Wraith one came out I was seeing tier 2 on people within a day or two, and tier 3 not long after that.

It took me nearly a year to cap out Bloodhound.

I've got shards without a purpose at the moment, and I do enjoy playing Caustic, but I can't see playing him enough in the next few months to get much beyond T2 before Diablo 4 lands, and then I'm probably gonna go MIA for a season or three.

edited April 2023
    New stories:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGjGLY1uHsI

Edit: I missed that the next season's page is already up, there's a new legend and an update to the firing range and World's Edge, and other stuff, neat!

Peen on
    Kinda sad to walk away from the game with yet another version of WE coming back, as it has been my favourite map since I started the game in S5.

Apparently they're going to make some ranked changes this season as well? Meh. Too late my dudes, the last few seasons have been particularly rough. Ranked is my go-to mode for randoms who might give half a fuck about the game, rather than just DC'ing the first time they stub their toe or someone looks at them funny, but it's been an absolute mess. I'm like Silver I and lobby champs/my killers are still showing Diamond, Masters, and Predator badges.

Yes, I know the recent split shoved everyone down 1.5 tiers. That's part of the problem. It happens so often that there is an endless stream of people who are absolutely not silver/gold that are in silver/gold.

Just gonna aim to hit 110 by the end of the season and enjoy a few weeks without gaming chores before Diablo 4 releases.

Yeah I still don't understand why they're so reluctant to simply use a placement system.

I last finished in Diamond, but I haven't played in 2 seasons, so I'll be back to the very start. It won't be fun for me, or for the people I kill.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I recently played through the TF2 campaign and it made me super excited about how it played but sad that i missed prime tf2 multiplayer by uh, let me check my watch, seven years?!

I kinda fell off apex because I don't care about BR modes, and was playing 100% to play with friends who fell off the wagon. but that was before they had non-BR modes. How is the game these days if someone only wanted to engage in "regular" multiplayer?

I believe that there is currently a playlist that includes 3 different team-deathmatch modes: gun-run, control and TDM. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

I enjoy the non-BR modes a lot, inasmuch as I also enjoy the BR. Apex feels great to play and the non-BR modes were a smart addition IMO for the people who don't like or can't take much royal battling.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    at first i thought that was the merc leader guy from tf2 who leaves an apex card on you screen

at first i thought that was the merc leader guy from tf2 who leaves an apex card on you screen

oh yeah this guy's design and the smart gun had me absolutely thinking it was either Cooper or Blisk

Speaking of Blisk, where is he? In Valkyrie’s trailer he was running the games. Now it appears Octane’s dad is?

The Season page has been updated to include some info on the changes to World's Edge and the new Weapon Mastery system.

https://www.ea.com/games/apex-legends/news/arsenal-season-game-updates

Apparently we'll be getting the Ranked update soon as well (it says "tomorrow" but I'm not actually sure when this was updated).

Apparently a presentation was given on the upcoming season, and details are starting to leak about the Ranked changes. To be taken with a grain of salt until a more official sources arrives (like, tomorrow), but the word I'm seeing is:

- changing from Ranked Points (RP) to Ladder Points (LP), 'aims to put emphasis on winning the match versus racking up kills'. The last time placement was heavily valued by the ranked system, it went... questionably/badly. Apparently points will be based not just on placement and kills, but also the difficulty of the lobby?
    - Matchmaking will be based on your skill, not rank. Which seems... huh? Tangentially, apparently they're adding a hidden MMR (Match Making Rank) to all accounts.
    - Splits will be removed, just one long ranked round for the season. Given that the second split was usually 4-5 weeks long and the double drop in rank piled almost everyone into the Bronze through Gold lobby pool, it'd be nice for that to be a bit less of a mess.
    - Minimum required account level is now 50. About fucking time.
    - You can't get KP by killing a player more than once, meaning you can't boost with beacons or letting lesser teams recover just to murder them again.
    - Provisional matches have been added. This has of course led to assumptions that people will just tank their placement matches to get easier lobbies to hunt in, but some hope remains that the ladder system and hidden MMR will somehow work to shuffle high skill players out of lower lobbies a bit more quickly than the current system allows for?
    - Entry cost is now the same for all ranks. I assume this means within a tier, so back to the old style where all of Bronze cost the same, all of Silver, etc?

If this is all true, that could be pretty awesome.

The Ranked update is out!

https://www.ea.com/games/apex-legends/news/arsenal-ranked-2023-update

Looks like the leaks panned out. I'm still reading it, but I'm definitely intrigued by what they're doing and why they're doing it.

Yeah that all sounds pretty good, for me who's casually played ranked but never made a serious push past gold. I can't wait for the wailing and gnashing of teeth from the pro-farming noobs crowd.