As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Canis Superior

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin

Canis Superior!

Penny Arcade - Comic - Canis Superior

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    The art in this strip makes me so happy.

I don't know what Synthwave Dance Warrior is, but I kinda want to play it now, if it will give me the same liberated joy that Gabe has.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I'm just glad he managed to find some VR games that don't make him puke.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

I don't know what Synthwave Dance Warrior is, but I kinda want to play it now, if it will give me the same liberated joy that Gabe has.

I'm just disappointed that this isn't how Mike dresses in his actual VR dance streams. Now that he's shown us what's possible, those sweats just aren't cutting it.

• Options
    Johnny17Johnny17 Registered User regular
    I want to make clear that Gabes clothing was the peak of manliness until 30 years ago.

• Options
    GrendusGrendus Registered User regular
    edited March 2023

IIRC, they said in the blog that it's only games where you move around in character that make him nauseous.

Games where you kind of expect the world to move without you feeling inertia, like racing games, are fine. And games where the world moves at an extremely steady pace like Beat Saber are fine. It's stuff like Boneworks were you move around irregularly and without an excuse that your motor cortex can use to write off the whole "why don't we feel like we're moving" thing that makes him nauseous.
    Lucascraft wrote: »

I suspect he's playing Beat Saber. It's one of the most popular music based rhythm games in VR (on all platforms), and there are a lot of synthwave tracks available for it.

Alternatively it might be Pistol Whip, which is a similar concept but with pistols. Also a fucking amazing game (though my favorite were the rock opera modes, those are fuckin' rad).

Grendus on
  • Options
    Grendus wrote: »

IIRC, they said in the blog that it's only games where you move around in character that make him nauseous.

Games where you kind of expect the world to move without you feeling inertia, like racing games, are fine. And games where the world moves at an extremely steady pace like Beat Saber are fine. It's stuff like Boneworks were you move around irregularly and without an excuse that your motor cortex can use to write off the whole "why don't we feel like we're moving" thing that makes him nauseous.

They also talked at length about the PSVR2 hardware being key to it. It has a higher refresh rate that just makes the motion smoother, and some people are helped a lot by it. Even when games weren't actively triggering him on the Quest, he always felt it and had to use drugs and limit his playtime.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Beat Saber isn't out yet for PSVR2. I'm guessing either Pistol Whip or Synth Riders, both of which are fantastic.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Beat Saber isn't out yet for PSVR2. I'm guessing either Pistol Whip or Synth Riders, both of which are fantastic.

On the last stream he played Pistol Whip and Synth Riders:

He's also been playing a bunch of other stuff.

• Options
    PyrianPyrian Registered User regular
    https://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2023/03/08/canis-superior-2

Regarding Phantom Brigade... He knows Frozen Synapse exists, right?

• Options
    Pyrian wrote: »

Pretty sure.

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    I'm assuming the pup has something from "Dog TV" queued up.

• Options
    PyrianPyrian Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    Pyrian wrote: »

Pretty sure.
    I know, but it seems he forgot.

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    He's a champion, he's the best,
    Impossible to tame,
    People say that he's obsessed,
    Listen to the sound of his name.

They call him Flash! Flash! Flash! Flash! Flashbeagle!

• Options
    ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    They also talked at length about the PSVR2 hardware being key to it. It has a higher refresh rate that just makes the motion smoother, and some people are helped a lot by it.

Oh, I might have to try that out then. I've never dipped into VR, but I get awfully motion sick from a lot of first person games (I couldn't go more than 15 minutes playing Medal of Honour on Gamecube with being very, very motion sick).

• Options
    Emperor MegamanEmperor Megaman Registered User regular
    it's not super crazy that Gabriel's cyber excursions into the delicious Pistol Whip deposit him on the couch - damp, yet also greasy
    This is the third strip in a row were the rant makes motion of the level of moisture emited by one of them...
    i don't have any relevant conclusion to draw from this observation.

• Options
    Just be glad they don't have to buy a new couch on amazon.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    It's what the tarp is for

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]