As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Windows OS] Version 1604 - Dual core Atom: Pass. 8 core Ryzen 1700X: Fail.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Also it looks like they're going to stop selling 10 at the end of this month. So for folks who are in that hardware space that is older but not recent enough for 11, y'all be screwed.

Win10 is over 7 years old at this point. But end of retail sale doesn't mean end of support. That goes until 2025. And it's not like 10 will stop working on your existing equipment. And you can just get the Win10 installer download and use your existing key to reinstall 10 on whatever you want forever so nobody is actually "screwed" here.

I think I've heard that Windows 11 keys also work for Windows 10?

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Also it looks like they're going to stop selling 10 at the end of this month. So for folks who are in that hardware space that is older but not recent enough for 11, y'all be screwed.

Win10 is over 7 years old at this point. But end of retail sale doesn't mean end of support. That goes until 2025. And it's not like 10 will stop working on your existing equipment. And you can just get the Win10 installer download and use your existing key to reinstall 10 on whatever you want forever so nobody is actually "screwed" here.

wait, there's an 11 key? I thought a keyboard only goes up to 9.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    you're screwed if you're using intel 7xxx CPUs though, since windows 11 doesn't support them

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

wait, there's an 11 key? I thought a keyboard only goes up to 9.

Spinal Tap keyboards go to 11.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Bleh, the media creation tool isn't letting me keep my programs when I try to set up an upgrade from 8.1 to 10. A bit of research indicates that it might be due to having originally installed an EN-GB version of 8.1 instead of the EN-US version.

• Options
    Dug a little deeper into the process, it's looking like it's trying to install the Home version of 10 that came preinstalled on my system rather than an upgrade to my Pro version of 8.1. I'm going to try creating a USB installer for 10 Pro instead, hopefully that will work better.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2023
    So, I just restarted my pc for an update and now Notepad doesn't display the names of the files I have open on the taskbar, it just says "Notepad".

It opens things in tabs, which whatever, I don't care, but I rely on the names being able to be seen on my taskbar to not have to click through every single fucking notepad I have open for the thing I need at any given time.

Is there a way to disable this shit? What an astoundingly stupid thing to arbitrarily change after three fucking decades.

EDIT: apparently wordpad still exists hidden in there, I'll just associate .txt with it and oh well. Microsoft you fucking morons. Who wanted this?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    So, I just restarted my pc for an update and now Notepad doesn't display the names of the files I have open on the taskbar, it just says "Notepad".

It opens things in tabs, which whatever, I don't care, but I rely on the names being able to be seen on my taskbar to not have to click through every single fucking notepad I have open for the thing I need at any given time.

Is there a way to disable this shit? What an astoundingly stupid thing to arbitrarily change after three fucking decades.

EDIT: apparently wordpad still exists hidden in there, I'll just associate .txt with it and oh well. Microsoft you fucking morons. Who wanted this?

new Notepad update brought tabbed support. Pesonally, I absolutely love it. Fewer windows, more tabs is the way. But that's me. You can turn off the tabbed interface for notepad in Notepad settings.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Try Notepad++?

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Huh, my PC is now being marked as able to upgrade to Windows 11. Despite being ineligible before and having changed nothing. Meh I guess as long as it doesn't try to upgrade without permission like 7-10 did.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Huh, my PC is now being marked as able to upgrade to Windows 11. Despite being ineligible before and having changed nothing. Meh I guess as long as it doesn't try to upgrade without permission like 7-10 did.

This happens a lot. The Windows upgrade will just mark itself as compatible when it's not. So I would double-check your hardware before doing any upgrades and staring at a reinstall down the line.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

This happens a lot. The Windows upgrade will just mark itself as compatible when it's not. So I would double-check your hardware before doing any upgrades and staring at a reinstall down the line.

In theory it can also be that they now have enough data from other chumps about your configuration to say that it will work.

But yes, definitely check on your own before hitting that button.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Maybe it turned on TPM on it's own?!

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Maybe it turned on TPM on it's own?!

One of the many benefits of being in the Denuvo Family Experience Insider Program!

Never installed Denuvo?
    don't worry, we already did!

• Options
    I swapped to Win11 22H2 today. Nothing of note so far but I need to take a deep dive into privacy settings.

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    So last night, I shutdown my gaming PC for the night and it wanted to update. I chose "Update and Shutdown", left it to do its thing and went to bed.

This morning, it wouldn't boot. It goes a few seconds past the "Press F2 or DEL for BIOS" prompt, spins the Win11 loading circle a few times, and then goes into a reboot cycle. After at least one reboot, it ends up in Recovery Mode.

From Recovery Mode, I've tried the following things, in this order:

1. Startup Repair (didn't mention whether it succeeded or failed, still didn't boot)
    2. Uninstall last Custom update (said it succeeded, still didn't boot).
    3. Uninstall last Feature update (said if failed, still didn't boot).
    4. System Restore to a point before the last Windows update (said it succeeded, still didn't boot).
    5. System Restore to a point before my last iCue update about a week ago (said it succeeded, still didn't boot).
    6. Tried poking around with the Command Prompt, based on: <https://appuals.com/cant-boot-into-windows-11/&gt; (the DISM command failed, still didn't boot).

Throughout all those steps, it has continued to boot into Safe Mode (with or without networking), so I don't think it's completely hosed.

Is there anything else I should try before resetting Windows?

• Options
    Do a clean boot. If it's working on safe mode it sounds like something in the boot process is nuking itself, so in safe mode open up task Manager and disable everyone in startup. Also kill any third party antivirus software while you're in safe mode.

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Do a clean boot. If it's working on safe mode it sounds like something in the boot process is nuking itself, so in safe mode open up task Manager and disable everyone in startup. Also kill any third party antivirus software while you're in safe mode.

I disabled all the startup apps, but still no joy. I suppose the next step is to try disabling services, too?

• Options

Oh I actively don't want it to update. 11 doesn't add any features I want and removes things I use, so. This just adds an annoyance.

• Options
    htm wrote: »

I disabled all the startup apps, but still no joy. I suppose the next step is to try disabling services, too?

Anything that's not Microsoft, yeah. Make sure your data is backed up before mucking with services though. Just in case.

• Options
    I understand I've done this to myself, but is there any way to bring back the Desktop toolbar for the taskbar?

Is pinning the Desktop folder from Explorer the only way?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    not sure what the desktop toolbar is, but if this is what you mean: you can minimize to desktop on 11 by clicking on the far right most end pixels of the taskbar, there's an option to turn that on/off in the taskbar properties

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    access-to-control-panel.gif

Lets me access files and shortcuts on the desktop without minimizing

Mugsley on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Never seen that before! Sorry.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    access-to-control-panel.gif

Lets me access files and shortcuts on the desktop without minimizing

Did some digging in Windows Forums, here's something that attempts to replicate the functionality https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/systemtraymenu/9N24F8ZBJMT1

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Sorry, I forgot to add that I'm in Win11 where the Desktop toolbar disappeared.

I'll check that link later; thanks

Mugsley on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Crosspost from regular G&T xbox thread:
    I got a new, bigger, faster NVME drive for OS, so I installed Win11 fresh.
    It installed REALLY fast and everything works really well, including all the game launchers... except fucking Xbox games App.
    Some games install fine, but most games that were installed before the new Windows (or not long before) give me an error, 0x80070002
    I searched it and, of course, there are a billion fixes that didn't work. So yeah, pretty frustrating.

Not surprising that Microsoft's launcher/service is the least functional.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Today in stupid windows tricks: I'm copying a backup off an external drive before it fails. I don't have enough drive space to pull the full backup, so I'm just grabbing the important stuff.

That includes multiple folders named User, because incremental backups.

Because I'd like to be able to, you know, tell them apart, I rename each a folder with the date it came from, then copy them to my internal hard drive.

So I have User date 1 User Date 2 User Date 3.

What does Windows do? Creates ONE folder named User and shoves all THEEE backups into the same folder. No prompt, no indication anything has gone wrong until "these files share the same name!" dialogs start popping up. *facepalm*

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Nope.

ilt9hzfshin5.jpg

https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/27/23775117/microsoft-windows-11-cloud-consumer-strategy

That's a big no to cloud OS and AI assistants for me.

• Options
    Jesus Christ, do they want to push me, the guy who builds PCs and has been using them since he was 3 years old, to switch to Mac?

• Options
    hiraethhiraeth SpaceRegistered User regular
    Time to learn linux while reddit still exists

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    hiraeth wrote: »

Don’t worry, Linux IRC was around before Reddit and continues to be a thing as Reddit implodes. Now with more Matrix and Discord network bridges.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    hiraeth wrote: »

Don’t worry, Linux IRC was around before Reddit and continues to be a thing as Reddit implodes. Now with more Matrix and Discord network bridges.

I don't know how to IRC and need a reddit article to show me how.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    "how weird, the entire gaming market suddenly shifted over to SteamOS."

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Reading the article, they're making it an option for consumers like their enterprise stuff, nothing suggests they plan to do away with local OS installations. They specifically mention wanting an answer to Chromebook cloud OS stuff.

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    I'm still on Windows 10, and every month brings new reasons as to why.

I never thought I would be one of those people ossified into a particular version of Windows, but well I tend to bounce off hard of integrated cloud storage in general -- I deactivate OneDrive every install I do.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    This also seems like a "one team has this idea and put it in a slideshow"

The biggest corporations have entire teams/departments that come up with ideas/strategies that never see the light of day because they get killed for any one of 1000 other business decisions.

Remember, Microsoft announced Windows 10X and a device that would run it (Surface Neo), then killed the entire stack. I'm sure there was an equivalent slide in as slideshow at some point talking about how Windows 10X was the future of Windows for the company. And then it wasn't.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    Reading the article, they're making it an option for consumers like their enterprise stuff, nothing suggests they plan to do away with local OS installations. They specifically mention wanting an answer to Chromebook cloud OS stuff.

Reading the article, it makes it completely clear that this is in the context of a wish to, and I quote "Moving “Windows 11 increasingly to the cloud” is identified as a long-term opportunity in Microsoft’s “Modern Life” consumer space"

Microsoft already make it pretty difficult to install Windows without setting up a Microsoft Account. You can still do it, for now, but the route is not obvious.

The direction they're heading in is very clear.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    Kamar wrote: »

Reading the article, it makes it completely clear that this is in the context of a wish to, and I quote "Moving “Windows 11 increasingly to the cloud” is identified as a long-term opportunity in Microsoft’s “Modern Life” consumer space"

Microsoft already make it pretty difficult to install Windows without setting up a Microsoft Account. You can still do it, for now, but the route is not obvious.

The direction they're heading in is very clear.

That direction has been clear since Office 365 was released in 2010.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    My computer is set to turn off the display after 10 minutes and never go to sleep. At the end of the time, the display turns off but only for a second then it turns back on. This started somewhat recently. I cannot sort out what is causing this.
    1. Nothing shows up when running powercfg /requests in command prompt
    2. It does not happen in safe mode
    3. I do not see any unusual programs running
    4. I have tried unplugging USB devices (keyboard, mouse, audio interface, gamepad) to no avail

Does anyone have any ideas? Or troubleshooting tips?