As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Daylight Satans Time

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    I like waking up to darkness and having the sun shine until late in the evening. Get on DST and stick with it!
    On the topic of DST, I stand with Krang

Text: yes it will suck to lose an hour of sleep tonight, but it is worth it to reclaim the late afternoon. it is the coward who sacrifices six months of light in exchange for just a bit more rest - but a hero who gives up their own sleepytime comfort to return the sun to the sky

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Larlar
    Fuck the sun.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I don't care which schedule we are on, but we should pick one and never swap.
    what has the sun ever done for me?

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Larlar
    Fuck that, let me sleep.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I don't care which one it is just stop changing it please

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I already have issues waking up on time with six alarms and now the time change is going to throw me off even more.

Fucking Congress can end it right now but they're squatting on that bill

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I like waking up to darkness and having the sun shine until late in the evening. Get on DST and stick with it!
    I forgot about daylight savings. I woke up at 8:30, a great time to get up on a sunday morning. Except then I checked my phone and it was actually 9:30. Half the day is gone!

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    If you got a kid or a pet who routinely wakes you up at 6am, today they woke you at 7am. You gained an hour!

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Larlar
    I prefer "more" sunlight hours in the evening, but I really want the time to stop changing.

I think it only really makes a different for the month of March and part of April. Sometime in mid April, the sun is already setting later in the day anyway, and the time change doesn't feel that significant

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    We should be on Standard Time all the time. That's why it's called Standard Time.
    I prefer "more" sunlight hours in the evening, but I really want the time to stop changing.

I think it only really makes a different for the month of March and part of April. Sometime in mid April, the sun is already setting later in the day anyway, and the time change doesn't feel that significant

But the days get longer, so waking me up when it’s dark means I get the relentless Texas sun for an eternity

It doesn’t get dark until something obnoxious like 8:45 PM and my vampire self hates it

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Seriously fuck all the assholes that insist we keep the bullshit clocking changing. As someone with a chronic health condition that suffers from fatigue and disrupted sleep circles, doing this shit twice a year always fucks up my schedule.

If someone wants to experience the earlier daylight in the morning, when the earth's rotation results in that. Then they can get up earlier without insisting that the clocks be changed and let the rest of us do our own damn thing.

Also I've said it before, but ain't it quaint that the assholes in office that insist we keep it as is, as the assholes that insist on doing a bunch of other shitty things? Also ain't it convenient that at least once, if not twice a year, the discussion on all the other heinous shit dies down because everyone is pissed off about their sleep cycles being fucked up? Seems like some assholes want it around because it's acting as a distraction that enables them to get away with not having to properly address other issues.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    We should be on Standard Time all the time. That's why it's called Standard Time.
    Sunday is the only day of the week I get to sleep in, as my wife and I take turns on weekends getting up with The Child so the other can stay in bed half the day

I specifically took an hour's nap yesterday afternoon so I'd have the energy to stay awake doing... fuckin, I don't know, some activity I chose for myself

And I've been playing through Horizon Forbidden West so I decided to have a nice long gaming session to myself instead of playing for 30 minutes before The Child demands I play the Paw Patrol game for his entertainment.

And I was having a great, relaxing time with Aloy and all her friends so I stayed up late. And when I was too sleepy to play anymore I looked at the old digital clock we keep by the TV and it said 2 am so I decided that was a decent time to turn in, and if I get up at 11 I've still had 9 hours so I've caught up a little sleep. So I did all my bed time stuff and climbed into bed and put my phone on charge and it said 3:05.

I had no idea this was happening today.

I feel so fucking cheated.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i set my analog clock back on saturday afternoon and it was the cleverest shit i’ve ever done because i went to bed on time and i’m doing alright today

DST is still a crime though

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited March 2023
    It's time to stop switching for sure. It makes no difference and serves no purpose anymore, if it ever did. Honestly, if I'm working from home more and more, I don't even really care about the 5pm sunsets in the winter, it's not like I'm driving home in the dark every single weekday anymore.

But switching two weekends a year is just annoying to me personally, nevermind the recorded and researched problems it causes for people of all ages. Let linear time determine our sleep cycles and schedules, not this human invention of clocks.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Why do they even do a one hour change on a single night? Why not just do a 10 minute change 6 Sundays in a row? Nobody would even notice that.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Why do they even do a one hour change on a single night? Why not just do a 10 minute change 6 Sundays in a row? Nobody would even notice that.

Probably before the ubiquitousness of computerized time, it would've been to keep the number of changes to just the two instead of having people having to remember to move their clocks the ten minutes in either direction 12 Sundays a year.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

Probably before the ubiquitousness of computerized time, it would've been to keep the number of changes to just the two instead of having people having to remember to move their clocks the ten minutes in either direction 12 Sundays a year.

Sure but it's not 1971 any more, why are we still doing it the same way 50 years later?

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Even with the way we do things now I promise that proposal would make people very angry

Anyway we should just stop switching because it’s easier and better!

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular

New rule: every Sunday your clocks will arbitrarily go forward or backwards 10 minutes. It will not be the same for everyone. You'll either be late for work or 20 minutes early depending on how it shakes out. This is life now, welcome to Hell

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Honestly I think the biggest challenge to getting rid of daylight savings time is figuring out how to change the earth's tilt.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    it's good when it's light later in the day, the sun going down at 4pm fucked me up way more than losing an hour of sleep. I lose an hour of sleep all the time, what's one day of it

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    it's good when it's light later in the day, the sun going down at 4pm fucked me up way more than losing an hour of sleep. I lose an hour of sleep all the time, what's one day of it

But you voted for Standard time.

I smell a rat.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I'd defend myself but I didn't even remember this was a poll thread

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    All threads are poll threads.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Get rid of this nonsense already and stop stealing my morning from me.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    at its current rate this thread will last until about 2050

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    The clock says it's 11:41 PM and I say it's lying

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

I'm afraid it is lying to you

inid4c2zu6rk.jpg

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

*screams incoherently*

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »

I'm afraid it is lying to you

inid4c2zu6rk.jpg

t i m e z o n e s

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Time zones are just another way of the clock lying to you. You really think time changes by an hour if you drive ten minutes west? All lies I tell you!

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    A bunch of my mom's friends and acquaintances have been gleefully telling her this is the last time they'll have to change their clocks. My mom knows better and has been informing them that no, that didn't pass Congress; but wtf? Has Fox news been lying about that too, or something?

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Your mum's friends have joined a death cult and this is their way of announcing it

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    A bunch of my mom's friends and acquaintances have been gleefully telling her this is the last time they'll have to change their clocks. My mom knows better and has been informing them that no, that didn't pass Congress; but wtf? Has Fox news been lying about that too, or something?

we exist in the berenstein bears universe

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Yeah I know several people who were under the false impression that this is permanent too

You can almost never go wrong assuming most people are uninformed or at least underinformed in this country, and I’ll refrain from going into detail about why because most of us here don’t fall into those categories

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular

Probably because it seemed like an easy win for everybody as nobody likes the clock change, but then we forgot that they can fight over keeping regular time or Daylight Savings Time so they're going to make us keep changing out clocks.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

No, but when it initially passed there was a huge amount of reporting on it that strongly implied it was a standalone bill with bipartisan support that would easily pass. It was actually a provision on a larger, contentious bill that is not expected to pass, but this wasn't in the initial reporting or ever followed up on. So I get why people have the wrong idea.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »

No, but when it initially passed there was a huge amount of reporting on it that strongly implied it was a standalone bill with bipartisan support that would easily pass. It was actually a provision on a larger, contentious bill that is not expected to pass, but this wasn't in the initial reporting or ever followed up on. So I get why people have the wrong idea.

It also makes local headlines every time a state trigger law passes out of committee or out of the lower chamber. I know a bunch of people around here badly misunderstood headlines like "Senate approves bill to ‘lock the clock’ on Daylight Saving Time" that were reported in Oklahoma over the last couple of weeks.

It's one of those things that will only go into effect if a federal act passes, and it still needs to make it through the Oklahoma House before that's even true.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Oh so this is why everything sucks today