As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallout] Remember when we said no NPC's or Companions in West Virginia ? Never mind.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

Wild, I remember hearing a huge road block to attempting to do FO:NV in FO4's engine was the voicing acting rights. That reading sounds good enough, and since there's plenty of in game samples, you probably could AI the whole cast and it would be pretty close.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Ohhhh...theres a Fallout TTRPG. I need that so bad.

I bet there are only two people in the entire world that play it but I'm going to find them, goddammit.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I really love the miniatures that go with it. I’ve wanted to order a set of Enclave and paint them for a while but I am lazy. They have all 3 fallout 3 armors, and Frank horrigan in X01 as well an unaligned set of X01 that could be painted up in enclave colors. Also a lot of nice BOS stuff, and even NCR and Legion.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I was looking at it, but I knew I'd never actually play it, it'd just be a neat book to have.

Though I do think there are some free downloads for quick start games if you have people and want to try it out. Though I don't see it now... I don't know if I misremember or maybe it was a limited time offer?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

I bet there are only two people in the entire world that play it but I'm going to find them, goddammit.

"Your companion fires over your shoulder at the charging deathclaw and rolls six times to hit with the SMG. There are three natural 1's. Of the three bursts that hit you, two crit. You are immediately gibbed. The deathclaw your companion was shooting at sprints through the expanding cloud of gore that used to be you and one-shots you companion. It is also a natural 20. They are also gibbed. So I guess that wraps up Session One. Again."

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular

There's a humble bundle up for that too!
    https://www.humblebundle.com/fallout-rpg-and-3d-miniatures-encore-modiphius-books

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Bullhead wrote: »

https://www.humblebundle.com/fallout-rpg-and-3d-miniatures-encore-modiphius-books

Different game. Modiphius has two completely different Fallout games just to confuse the issue! I believe the Wasteland Warfare one is more miniature-wargaming focused. The other one is a 2d20-system traditional RPG.

I haven't played either one yet, but my gaming group occasionally tosses around the idea of playing the 2d20 one. We usually change our mind after remembering it's by Modiphius, but sooner or later we'll probably give it a shot.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Bullhead wrote: »

Different game. Modiphius has two completely different Fallout games just to confuse the issue! I believe the Wasteland Warfare one is more miniature-wargaming focused. The other one is a 2d20-system traditional RPG.

I haven't played either one yet, but my gaming group occasionally tosses around the idea of playing the 2d20 one. We usually change our mind after remembering it's by Modiphius, but sooner or later we'll probably give it a shot.

Ah - well you could presumably re-use the models in the other game? But good to know!

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

"Your companion fires over your shoulder at the charging deathclaw and rolls six times to hit with the SMG. There are three natural 1's. Of the three bursts that hit you, two crit. You are immediately gibbed. The deathclaw your companion was shooting at sprints through the expanding cloud of gore that used to be you and one-shots you companion. It is also a natural 20. They are also gibbed. So I guess that wraps up Session One. Again."

"God damnit, Ian."

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Very curious to see how the Bethesda modding community makes use of voice AI like Eleven Labs since I would imagine its easier now to expand on or add vanilla NPCs into modded quests or full companions with matching voiced dialogue instead of having to hack various lines together from elsewhere in the game.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    LX8UrZ2eh7bbfx_l82Tmwg4xHF6GCYi_xyneRnyIn7w.jpg?auto=webp&v=enabled&s=e59589de657de01933ffe6eba4ea4434a72db722

• Options
    So I felt like playing a 90s RPG that wasn’t just running through BG again and went back to Fallout 1 and 2. There is a lot of really cool shit out on the mod scene now:

Fallout 1:

Fallout et Tu:

https://github.com/rotators/Fo1in2

So this is a straight up engine port of fallout 1 into fallout 2’s engine, Tale of Two Wastelands style. This brings some minor systems and balance changes, the most important being much better companion functionality. As someone who always thought fallout 1 was the better game in a lot of ways its pretty neat to see it modernized a bit.

Also optional additions (that start off by default) are a new companion so high charisma characters can have a full party and a motorcycle that acts like the car in fallout 2.

Fallout 2:

Fallout restoration project:

https://github.com/BGforgeNet/Fallout2_Restoration_Project

So this is actually updated from the versions on Nexus and NMA. A few great new things (like a black character option!) and also required for the next mods:

Talking heads mod for reatoration project:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout2/mods/45

Currently playing with this, enjoying it a lot. It adds heads for A LOT of people. Mostly well done and fit in with original models.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout2/mods/67

Voices for the above. Not everyone has them, but adds about 30 voiced characters. Seem generally good quality and appropriate.

• Options
    edited May 2023
    Talented fan animator Sodaz has the first WIP of his new project: The battle of Helios One.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOtFE3lw8KI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAQ3PEIjF7Y

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    side note: he had to switch to Fallout after after GW went after fan created Warhammer videos on Youtube. Their loss, our gain.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2023
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Whoops

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    First, there was Sim Settlements. An ambitious attempt to create a more SimCity-like method of settlement building that zoned out the outsides and, later, insides of your settlement space into places settlers could build homes, farms, and shops. As it expanded it added a tech tree of advanced industrial elements, prebuilt plans for settlements, and a raider-flavored version, Conqueror that saw you mustering and leading a gang to take over a prebuilt commonwealth. That last had some story to it, but there was never much explanation of exactly what you were doing to make settlements no one had built before. Also everything piled together could turn into kind of a big pile of jank.

So then, there was Sim Settlements 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4-P6M0iDn4

All the features of Sim Settlements 1, right there at the start if you wanted them, or unlockable by an actual story that started at about the same time as Fallout 4's and ran in parallel, starting at a little hardware shop just outside the Museum of Freedom where a guy dug up some old technology called ASAMs that could plot out homes and farms and shops for settlers to build. It had a tech tree that spanned all the plot types, special settlers who would show up and give you quests so they could join you or quests after they joined you to kick you up the tech tree, and settler SPECIALs that influenced how well they did any job you pointed them at. Advanced food, power, water, and defense needed certain SPECIAL basics to even be staffed at all, but your recreational plots could train settler stats over time... as long as you kept them supplied.

It ended by discovering little salvage beacons that you could clip onto containers and use as remote drop points for everything you picked up, and big beacons you could plant in a cleared area so settlers could come out and scavenge. ...but it also ended with that hardware store guy getting abducted by the Gunners, who found the ASAMs interfered with their favorite communication frequencies.

Then there was Sim Settlements 2, Chapter 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP8ikYltVeQ

Concord attracted people willing to move in and make it their own home totally outside all your ASAMery. A police department started operating out of slightly non-central Boston. A faction of doctors made themselves apparent - and a good thing, as now your settlements faced the threat of disease. And all your settlement surplus found purpose in striking back against the Gunners and building and running your own HQ to coordinate your growing settlement network.

And now, a small band of modders does what Valve cannot, and counts to (chapter) 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNnDrb6KUmI

Looks like it's time for war, and Conqueror's back on the menu.

• Options
    Looking for some help and guidance from people who've kept up with the series better than I have.

This all kicked off the other day when GOG put Fallout 4 GOTY up, at a 75% discount. As a result of that (including some stuff that's moot now), I decided I wanted to go back and get caught up first. The last game I played in the series was New Vegas, and I never got further in that than making a character; before that was Fallout 3, but I don't have that installed on my new system (or my old one, for that matter). Digging into that revealed a whole set of issues with both games under Windows 10 / without Games For Windows Live *spit* which I'd previously been unaware of, and the prospect of getting either game working in 2023 suddenly seemed a lot more daunting.

I do have NV installed, and an old disc copy of FO3 (with a now-useless GFWL code), and I'm aware of/intrigued by TTW, but I wouldn't know where to begin; both the Steam community(s) and NexusMods are a mess of stuff accumulated over years and versions. Can someone explain it to me like I'm fresh out of the Vault, or let me know if there's a better and/or easier way?

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Looking for some help and guidance from people who've kept up with the series better than I have.

This all kicked off the other day when GOG put Fallout 4 GOTY up, at a 75% discount. As a result of that (including some stuff that's moot now), I decided I wanted to go back and get caught up first. The last game I played in the series was New Vegas, and I never got further in that than making a character; before that was Fallout 3, but I don't have that installed on my new system (or my old one, for that matter). Digging into that revealed a whole set of issues with both games under Windows 10 / without Games For Windows Live *spit* which I'd previously been unaware of, and the prospect of getting either game working in 2023 suddenly seemed a lot more daunting.

I do have NV installed, and an old disc copy of FO3 (with a now-useless GFWL code), and I'm aware of/intrigued by TTW, but I wouldn't know where to begin; both the Steam community(s) and NexusMods are a mess of stuff accumulated over years and versions. Can someone explain it to me like I'm fresh out of the Vault, or let me know if there's a better and/or easier way?

I don't know about modding, but for pure compatibility in Windows 10 have you looked at the pc gaming wiki?

Fallout 3

Fallout NV

• Options
    august wrote: »

I don't know about modding, but for pure compatibility in Windows 10 have you looked at the pc gaming wiki?

Fallout 3

Fallout NV

I had not! Bookmarked for reference. Thanks!

• Options
    I would recommend the Tale of two Wastelands mod.
    It merges fallout 3 and new Vegas in to one game (sort of) and gives you a lot of quality of life improvements and patches to the games (which they need)
    https://taleoftwowastelands.com/download_ttw

• Options
    edited August 2023
    The detailed install instructions for ttw are here:

https://thebestoftimes.moddinglinked.com/

I only really recommend ttw for fallout 3 though, it isn’t necessary for new vegas unless you want to carry your fallout 3 character over.

If you are looking for a vanilla plus new vegas I always recommend viva new vegas:

https://vivanewvegas.moddinglinked.com/

with the caveat that the overhauls section is optional, as a new player I would probably only install mojave arsenal and essential vanilla enhancements from that section.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    I only really recommend ttw for fallout 3 though, it isn’t necessary for new vegas unless you want to carry your fallout 3 character over.

I admit I was mostly thinking/looking at it as a way of accessing F3 content (and my existing saves, for old time's sake) in the NV engine, without having to jump through the hoops of (fully) installing F3 and getting it up and running (without having to deal with GFWL et al). But by the light of a new day, could be I was looking at it the wrong way or even completely backward. :\

Thanks for the links. I'll give them a look once I pry myself free and close shut the jaws of Oblivion, which I also chose to revisit yesterday. (Nostalgia can be a dangerous thing.)

• Options
    edited August 2023

I admit I was mostly thinking/looking at it as a way of accessing F3 content (and my existing saves, for old time's sake) in the NV engine, without having to jump through the hoops of (fully) installing F3 and getting it up and running (without having to deal with GFWL et al). But by the light of a new day, could be I was looking at it the wrong way or even completely backward. :\

Thanks for the links. I'll give them a look once I pry myself free and close shut the jaws of Oblivion, which I also chose to revisit yesterday. (Nostalgia can be a dangerous thing.)

Yeah I just use it as basically a fallout 3 installation. You can access new vegas content similarly to how you would a dlc if you want, and it’s fine, but if you do it after fallout 3 content you are vastly overleveled, and if you just do the New Vegas content straight off there’s not much point in having TTW installed at all.

The capital wasteland FO3 part just feels like the original fallout 3 with a more stable and fully featured engine. There are some changes under the hood but nothing too out there - you won’t find a lot of cowboy stuff in DC but a few things that fit in like the police pistol .38 are carried over IIRC.

It definitely feels different than New Vegas though - energy weapons and power armor are still very prevalent compared to New vegas, for example, and high end guns are a bit harder to come by.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    I'd say the bug fixes alone are worth the installation, but it also adds new Vegas features that a lot of people take for granted like companion perks, weapon mods, crafting, recipes, harvestable plants, and poisons. It's honestly hard to go back to vanilla Fallout 3

• Options
    edited August 2023
    I have a (very "First World") problem, and would appreciate any suggestions.
    I tried asking first in the PC build thread, but it turns out that it's not actually an HDR issue, because what F3 (and before it, Oblivion) calls "HDR" isn't (and is mostly marketing).

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/23255

Those bottles don't glow on my new system (or my old one). I get this instead of this.

My install is practically vanilla (literally just the above and one tweak, made by myself years ago, to get rid of that damn tricycle), a disc copy of the GotY patched up to 1.7.03. I have (fake) HDR turned on in my launcher, my config files, everywhere and everything I can think of. My video card is an AMD Radeon 6750 XT, which should be easily able to handle anything a 15-year-old game is putting out. It's just... not.

Why did I think it was a good idea to go back to these games again? :(

Resolved, see post below.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Are you using anything like ENB or Reshade?

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Are you using anything like ENB or Reshade?

Nope.

Also, I just noticed something odd that makes me think that maybe I didn't (fully and/or properly) install the mod and invalidate the old files anyway. Hol' up on this one until I'm able to verify.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I tried asking first in the PC build thread, but it turns out that it's not actually an HDR issue, because what F3 (and before it, Oblivion) calls "HDR" isn't (and is mostly marketing).

Those bottles don't glow on my new system (or my old one). I get this instead of this.

My install is practically vanilla (literally just the above and one tweak, made by myself years ago, to get rid of that damn tricycle), a disc copy of the GotY patched up to 1.7.03. I have (fake) HDR turned on in my launcher, my config files, everywhere and everything I can think of. My video card is an AMD Radeon 6750 XT, which should be easily able to handle anything a 15-year-old game is putting out. It's just... not.

Do you look at the "posts" section of that mod page? Someone says they can't get it to work and the mod author says
    You have to have it like this, bDoHighDynamicRange=1 in your FalloutPrefs.ini to get the glow.

• Options
    august wrote: »

Do you look at the "posts" section of that mod page? Someone says they can't get it to work and the mod author says
    You have to have it like this, bDoHighDynamicRange=1 in your FalloutPrefs.ini to get the glow.

I did look at that section. Did you read my post?
    I have (fake) HDR turned on in my launcher, my config files, everywhere and everything I can think of.

That said ... I noticed the regular Nuka Cola bottles weren't showing the new textures, which led me to download and run ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated. Now the new Nuka-bottles - with pristine labels (to be honest, I might ditch those and go back to the original textures) and red caps, rather than black - are showing up, and so is the glow on the Quantums. (Again tbh, some of that may also be because the baked-in lighting inside the Megaton house is worse than I thought; once I took the Q-bottles outside and dropped them someplace genuinely dark, they showed up a lot better.)

• Options
    Right, now that I've gotten that sorted (and a nice dose of nostalgia by loading/revisiting all my old saves), it's (past) time to finally do New Vegas. Probably going with a Cowboy build; haven't made up my mind yet on whether I'll cheese the start with an "Ultimate" build.

Any of the DLC particularly (not) worth doing?

• Options
    edited August 2023
    They are all probably worth doing if you haven’t before. Dead money is probably the weakest but I didn’t hate it.

Note the recommended order is a bit weird, its not the order they came out nor the order you encounter the entrances in game. To get the best experience do Honest Hearts first, then old world blues, then dead money, then lonesome road in that order. Dead money especially should be done after old world blues for plot reasons.

Honest hearts and old world blues can be done as soon as you can access new vegas and the north side of the map, but dead money and lonesome road should not be done until you are almost finished with the game.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    I'm pretty sure I'm not even gonna touch LR because [censored] Ulysses and Chris Avellone scolding you for stuff "you" never did or get railroaded into unless you stop playing right there and turn around. So I'm just gonna beat him to the punch, as it were, and not engage at all.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure I'm not even gonna touch LR because [censored] Ulysses and Chris Avellone scolding you for stuff "you" never did or were forced to unless you stop playing right there and turn around. So I'm just gonna beat him to the punch, as it were, and not engage at all.

IIRC you can actually tell Ulysses he’s an idiot for that with a high speech skill and he just kind of fucks off.

Lonesome road is kind of a neat place even if Ulysses is a bit lame though. And you get more quality time with ed-e.

• Options
    edited August 2023
    I probably should have asked this as part of my previous post, but oh well:
    Back when I was playing F3, I had at least some idea of the then-current mods, and only installed a few: a couple to clear up the skies/remove the omnipresent green tint and add some vegetation to the landscape, some housing tweaks and texture mods, nothing requiring any scripting. With NV, I'm starting literally from scratch. I know there are many lists of "essential" mods out there as long as your arm, but what do you recommend for a similarly mod-light first playthrough?
    EDIT: Besides this one, obviously.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    https://vivanewvegas.moddinglinked.com/intro.html

For a first playthrough do not install anything from the overhaul section but mojave arsenal and essential vanilla enhancements.

I know its a lot, but you’ll end up with a much more stable, better quality of life game. I liken it to a nightdive style remaster-there’s very little there you would notice not being how you remember it if you haven’t played in 10 years, but it sands the rough edges off and if you play with it then without it you’ll definitely notice.

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    The biggest problem with New Vegas is crashes. I haven't modded in a while so I'm not sure what is the current methods for dealing with that. Honesty, I wouldn't do much else outside of that.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Lonesome Road was a wake up call for my endgame courier. I was decked out in power armour, the best weapons caps could buy, my pockets overflowing with stimpacks, and bullets, and yet barely crawled out of that place alive.

• Options
    edited August 2023
    eh.
    I mean, I get why they set it up that way - it's the "final stage" (before you go back to the previous endgame as of the original release, at the risk of making it almost an anticlimax? maybe it would have been better if it had followed Hoover Dam, as Broken Steel came after the Jefferson Memorial and Project Purity, but they're stuck with that ending) - but the whole "unique enemy type who do more damage and are harder to kill Because They Just Are" (in order to challenge players who, like Muzzmuzz, are fully geared and leveled) while the author's pet character infodumps and scolds and blathers at you over the intercom robot for minutes at a time... I dunno, maybe it'll be more fun to actually play through it, but from everything I've heard it just sounds so (wanking motion) tiresome. Something you endure to get the "true ending".

(Some of it, I think, is that I despise the whole "artificial difficulty" thing these games often pull in order to challenge the PC, at the expense of the setting's internal logic. Like the enemies in Point Lookout, who have extra DT Just Because, or the common highway bandits in Oblivion or Skyrim who start turning up in armor so rare and expensive they should sell it and retire. It's transparently gamist bullshit, IMO. I'd much prefer, per that last example, that you should never see bandits after a certain point in an Elder Scrolls game, or maybe just the really stupid ones who charge out in their leather or steel armor and get insta-gibbed by the Hero, while the smart ones stay hidden in the bushes and wait for you to pass. Just acknowledge "yeah, you've basically beaten the game, go ahead and wrap it up whenever you feel like it.")

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Bandits attacking you late-game is fine, the thing is that they need to start upping the numbers, not the gear. So the start of the game will have you fight like... five bandits in animal skins at a time. Later on they may upgrade as far as leather armor. But after that, the damage increase comes from their numbers, not their gear. If the game sends twenty bandits after you, you should be going right through them, one-shotting everything but the bandit leader (who should still be pretty easy).

But they definitely need some damned survival instincts by now. If those twenty bandits attack and you plow right down the middle of them to annihilate their leader in a few hits, all the rest should just fucking run. Or you lob a fireball at the front rank and ten of them immediately go down, so the rest decide to immediately fuck off elsewhere. This business with bandits being suicidal is long past the point of ridiculous.