As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Daylight Satans Time

1181920212224»

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I don't care which schedule we are on, but we should pick one and never swap.
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    Calica wrote: »
    A bunch of my mom's friends and acquaintances have been gleefully telling her this is the last time they'll have to change their clocks. My mom knows better and has been informing them that no, that didn't pass Congress; but wtf? Has Fox news been lying about that too, or something?

No, but when it initially passed there was a huge amount of reporting on it that strongly implied it was a standalone bill with bipartisan support that would easily pass. It was actually a provision on a larger, contentious bill that is not expected to pass, but this wasn't in the initial reporting or ever followed up on. So I get why people have the wrong idea.

*Deep sigh*

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    We should be on Standard Time all the time. That's why it's called Standard Time.
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    My birthday is the 10th, so that means that under current legislation, my birthday is always the weekend of, or is just before, DST begins.

I consider that... less than ideal.

Unfortunately 7 (!) years later this is still true. One of these things has gotta move, and well one of them can't.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    We should be on Standard Time all the time. That's why it's called Standard Time.
    We've been doing this stupid thing for 106 years now. I wanna know what fucker came up with this idea so I can piss on their grave.

Oh right, we have all the information right at our fingertips these days.

98567sonn0xp.png

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    DOES THIS MEAN WE'VE ALL HAD OUR LIFESPANS SHORTENED BY 1 HOUR?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Yes

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Benjamin Franklin, you greasy little pimp, tell George Hudson I want my hour back.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I was getting my son ready for an activity this morning, and having a particularly hard time. I look at the clock on the wall to verify the time, and see they are an hour behind.

I didn't know today was the time change day until that moment. No wonder it was so miserable

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Weirdly, fucking with time impacts humans negatively

Who could have imagined

• Options
    neverreallyneverreally Registered User regular
    This extra hour of daylight at the end of my work day is gonna improve my mood and productivity so much!!! Plus I can BBQ in the light of day for dinner! So happy to be back in a proper time. Let's stay like this forever.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I lost an hour of sleep and I'm already too short on those to begin with

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I didn't even know this was coming up, and I was kept awake by my wife and her friend getting home drunk from a concert at like 11:30, then making me take them to Whataburger at midnight, and then having a dance party in our kitchen afterwards. I didn't fall asleep until 3am, so no wonder I feel like shit

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I do not acknowledge nor abide by these arbitrary rules on time. Timecops don't exist yet, you can't tell me how to use my time!

• Options
    AlexandierAlexandier Registered User regular
    The daylight has been saved once more.

Are you satisfied you fucking monsters?

https://youtu.be/M5n8M5sZikQ?si=mTAspm_qZOJ6xIMl

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I like waking up to darkness and having the sun shine until late in the evening. Get on DST and stick with it!
    I hate losing an hour of my precious weekend but I really do prefer daylight time. Soon I’ll be taking evening walks and sitting out in my garden and smelling bbq after work. Ahhhh summer…

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited March 10
    Weirdly, fucking with time impacts humans negatively

Who could have imagined

We're not actually fucking with time, we're just fucking with our methods of recording the passage of time.

Also, I'll go ahead and just post this gif aimed at myself.

the-simpsons-homer-simpson.gif

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    This extra hour of daylight at the end of my work day is gonna improve my mood and productivity so much!!! Plus I can BBQ in the light of day for dinner! So happy to be back in a proper time. Let's stay like this forever.

As an incorrigible night owl: Fuck That. For over half the year, my body's sleep needs are even further out of sync with society's expectations (especially employers. fuck 9 to 5 with a rusty spoon).

Also, WaPo:
    Roughly speaking, 19 minutes of lost sleep a day translates to 115 hours of lost sleep per year. Given what’s known about the importance of sleep for good physical and mental health, it’s no surprise that Giuntella and Mazzonna found a greater incidence of health problems in areas where the sun sets later.

People on the late side of sunset across U.S. time zones were 11 percent more likely, on average, to be overweight and 21 percent more likely to be obese. Diabetes was more prevalent, and the risk of heart attack increased by 19 percent. Breast cancer rates were slightly elevated, too — about 5 percent higher than average.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Daylight Savings Time screwed me over last night. I work security as a supervisor and since one of our guards was out last night, I was doing the inside scans. (We need to scan a tag in certain locations to verify we've been there.) It doesn't take long. But, I had a new trainee who is going to work night shift and I was trying to get her onboarding packet done and get her to her position so she could get a little bit of a feel for. We literally did not get done until 2am. I thought, okay, I have an hour to get these three scans on this tour done,(because that particular set of scans ended at 0300 hrs,) but nope, the clocks jumped ahead and it counted the scans as missed, so now I have to explain that to management because corporate will be on him about it.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I was working when time sprang forward, last night. I joked that we should get a free hour of pay for losing an hour of our lives on the clock. We were already on double time, what's a little more?

The company will not be paying us this phantom hour, but this will fuel me when I go into bargaining with them later this year.

• Options
    Burn every employer to the ground who has people working overnight and act like it's out of their hands that an hour of your life evaporated on the time clock where your labor occurred but their compensation evaporated with the changeover.

I couldn't handle that. I'd be in jail if that happened to me.

• Options
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    I was working when time sprang forward, last night. I joked that we should get a free hour of pay for losing an hour of our lives on the clock. We were already on double time, what's a little more?

The company will not be paying us this phantom hour, but this will fuel me when I go into bargaining with them later this year.

"It says right here I worked from 8 to 5, that's nine hours."

• Options
    Like the rollback in fall screws some people, congress needs to just pick one I despise each time shift so, so much.

• Options
    I don't think we're doing any favors to daylight saving it year after year. We should just let daylight fall on its fuckin' face for once and learn to save itself.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    daylight: too big to fail? not according to Jedoc.

• Options
    It still kind of blows my mind that all the evidence says that switching clocks twice a year literally kills people and some people are still like “yeah but sun feels nice on my face so”

I guess I shouldn’t be too surprised given the cavalier attitudes towards murder weapon ownership but this is not even a “take away your freedoms” thing, it’s literally just asking people to stop fucking with the clocks at all

• Options
    I live in a city where an estimated two people die a year in car vs pedestrian accidents, but the city would rather allocate all of the streetlights it can to roads nobody walks on rather than put them where they matter, and the Dark Sky initiative supposedly "ties their hands" to redistributing them.

So, lifelong politicians not caring about DST killing people doesn't surprise me at all.

And before anyone says, "But dark sky initiatives don't limit streetlights, they just limit what kind you can use." I know that. The city doesn't seem to give a shit.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I thought the US was getting rid of this foolishness

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

Last I remember it went to the House and then proceeded to disappear up some asshole committee never to be seen again

• Options
    edited March 11
    Madican wrote: »

Last I remember it went to the House and then proceeded to disappear up some asshole committee never to be seen again

Which is good, because the thing that accidentally passed the Senate would have made DST permanent :grimace:

A lot of sleep medicine professionals got very alarmed, as I recall.

edit: Permanent DST has been tried before. People hated it.

Calica on
  • Options
    Calica wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »

Which is good, because the thing that accidentally passed the Senate would have made DST permanent :grimace:

A lot of sleep medicine professionals got very alarmed, as I recall.

edit: Permanent DST has been tried before. People hated it.

Supposedly states are only forbidden from making DST permanent but there's nothing stopping them from making standard time permanent.

One requires making it through the Clusterfuck of Congress and the other is a majority vote in an individual state. I know which is the winning option there.

• Options
    Arizona has never had daylight savings, apparently. I dunno if it's because we became a state after the rest of the country adopted it (like, I don't think Hawaii has it either?) or what the exact reason is, but I very much like it most of the time. It's only inconvenient when I have to figure out what time it is in other time zones, because it's different half the year.

• Options
    That thirsty bastard Rubio wants to make DST permanent, therefore that is the inferior choice

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    Larlar
    one is called daylight savings time, the other is called standard time, why is it even an argument as to which time to keep

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    When is Daylight Spending Time, we've clearly Saved enough by this point.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I like waking up to darkness and having the sun shine until late in the evening. Get on DST and stick with it!
    fuuuuuck daylight savings time its 4am this is not the correct time to be wide awake

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Larlar
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Arizona has never had daylight savings, apparently. I dunno if it's because we became a state after the rest of the country adopted it (like, I don't think Hawaii has it either?) or what the exact reason is, but I very much like it most of the time. It's only inconvenient when I have to figure out what time it is in other time zones, because it's different half the year.

We did for like 50 years then used a loophole or something to get out of doing it back in the 60s.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Cannot believe that I'm being forced, against my will, by the federal government, to pretend that I didn't have to go to work at seven in the goddamn morning.

This is literally what 1984 was about. Me and my stove and my car are all going to become sovereign citizens, we know what fuckin' time it is.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Larlar
    I think I fundamentally don't give a shit about the daylight savings debate (I do like longer evenings I guess). And I regularly fuck up my body clock much worse by traveling long distances at high velocity. But I realized last year that I don't have a single clock in my house that isn't internet synced, and so it's now possible for External Actors to decide for me what time it is, and moreover there's a good chance i wont even notice

And this DOES bug me, so some time this summer I'm going to get an analog clock to hang, purely so I can neglect to change it.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Last year the only reason I realised the clocks had moved forward was because I was almost late for Dungeons and Dragons the following Monday, as I was preparing supper and my oven hadn't updated

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited March 11
    tynic wrote: »
    I think I fundamentally don't give a shit about the daylight savings debate (I do like longer evenings I guess). And I regularly fuck up my body clock much worse by traveling long distances at high velocity. But I realized last year that I don't have a single clock in my house that isn't internet synced, and so it's now possible for External Actors to decide for me what time it is, and moreover there's a good chance i wont even notice

And this DOES bug me, so some time this summer I'm going to get an analog clock to hang, purely so I can neglect to change it.

My mom has a clock on the piano that she has permanently set to average local sidereal time, so it's always either 15 minutes ahead or 45 minutes behind 'official' time.

I kind of love it.

Calica on