As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

World of Warcraft CCG

• Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Onyxia's last stage has a flip ability that kills all the opposing Heroes instantly. I don't think I pointed that out earlier. It's obnoxious.

Conditional_Axe on
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    my gamestops lone onyxia deck shipped out yesterday or today i think, should be in GS's by tomorrow or saturday.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Onyxia's last stage has a flip ability that kills all the opposing Heroes instantly. I don't think I pointed that out earlier. It's obnoxious.

And...what do you do about that? You just get to the last stage and die? Or is there some way to get around it?

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So, is this any good? Or is it just a brilliant plan to make even more money?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So, is this any good? Or is it just a brilliant plan to make even more money?
    the game is pretty damn fun, i'm more excited about the raid decks though which i hear are really good as well.

Zephos on
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Reynolds wrote:

And...what do you do about that? You just get to the last stage and die? Or is there some way to get around it?
    It cost 20 resources to pull off, so you have at bare minimum 20 turns.

Did anyone hear about those guys that aced Onyxia at Gencon? THe amped up Onyxia at that. They left Onyxia with no resources and no damage on any heroes or allies. Pretty sick work.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
    edited December 2006
    those guys were the only ones to beat her right?

Zephos on
  • fearofsocietyfearofsociety Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, they were the only ones to beat her at GenCon. Three Paladins. They won by healing her to keep her in stage 1 long enough to get their combo set up. Then, using Cruel Hand of Timmy, they destroyed all her resources. Pretty slick.

fearofsociety on
    Baby, why you make me hit you...
  • Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, they were the only ones to beat her at GenCon. Three Paladins. They won by healing her to keep her in stage 1 long enough to get their combo set up. Then, using Cruel Hand of Timmy, they destroyed all her resources. Pretty slick.
    that's awesome.

yeah, stage 3 is a race to do 50 damage before the ony player builds up 20 resources, basically. it sounds fun.

Conditional_Axe on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Bought the Onyxia Raid Deck, completely unawares that it wasn't stand-alone. And since that's all I could find (with my total of 5 minutes of looking), I'm going to return it and buy a starter deck.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Saturday a friend gave me an entire case of boosters, and a pile of starter decks.
    I redeemed my points for a Tabard Of The Frost, and I've got decks coming out of my ass.
    Hail satan!

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • SanfordSanford Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Long time lurker, enjoyed reading for ages and decided to post to tell you my tale of Xmas good fortune.

Today my girlfriend and I bought the last 15 boosters in the store as an extra Xmas present to ourselves, bringing the total number of boosters we have bought to about 40. My dwarf paladin is now the proud owner of both the Landro fire tabard and the turtle mount. My girlfriend pulled the turtle from one of the boosters out of the one starter deck I got her, two days after the game was released :D

The main reason I am posting, we now have a lot of swaps. If anyone in the UK (or anywhere in Europe I guess) fancies exchanging a few cards PM me and I'll send you a list. A few blues, lots of greens and a shitload of whites. We are only collecting one copy of each card so if you are looking to build playable decks we will probably have something to interest you.

Sanford on
  • JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So I finally got to play a few games last night with my friend, and we came across a couple of rules questions.

Is more than one copy of a card allowed out at a time, specifically allies? Also, when playing allies, do they come out exhausted, or can they just no attack/use abilities until your next turn (ignoring ferocity of course)?

Joeslop on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Joeslop wrote:
    So I finally got to play a few games last night with my friend, and we came across a couple of rules questions.

Is more than one copy of a card allowed out at a time, specifically allies? Also, when playing allies, do they come out exhausted, or can they just no attack/use abilities until your next turn (ignoring ferocity of course)?
    The presence of Ferocity (basically Haste straight out of MTG) suggests to me they can't be exhausted on their first turn out.

I played a raid-built Human Pally deck vs a Shaman deck. Started off bad - the Shaman got me down to 1 health - and ended with me at full life and pretty much everything on his side of the board obliterated.

I had fun.

INeedNoSalt on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Joeslop wrote:

You can have as many copies of an all out at a time as you like, as long as its not Unique, which is mosty the higher ones, such as Thrall, Jaina and the like.

When an ally comes into play, you may not use any abilities that require them to exhaust, and they may not attack. They are still able to protect however.

If the ability just requires a cost and no exhausting, then you may use it the turn they come into play.

Kelor on
  • Angelshade113Angelshade113 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Yeah I'm the one who played against da joeslop and I also had a question. If you are allowed to ready something during your own turn after already exhausting it, are you allowed to use that same card again in your turn if you have enough resources?

Angelshade113 on
    edited December 2006
    Yeah I'm the one who played against da joeslop and I also had a question. If you are allowed to ready something during your own turn after already exhausting it, are you allowed to use that same card again in your turn if you have enough resources?

Should be able to. As long as you are able to pay all the costs (IE, exhausting, paying resources, etc.), you can do an activated power as much as you want.

Also, I hate you for pulling a Saltwater Snapjaw.

Joeslop on
    edited December 2006
    It's what I like to call finesse :wink: .

Angelshade113 on
  • JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I gave out some starter decks as Christmas gifts, and we're having a ton of fun with the game. I got a Shaman deck, and it mostly seems to revolve around exhausting opponents and keeping them exhausted for as long as possible. It's pretty fun, but I'm hoping I'll be able to try out some other heroes after I get a few booster packs.

So here's a couple questions.

There's a Horde ally, Voss Treebender, who can exhaust allies or heroes as he's attacking. Could you attack something with Voss and exhaust a protector before it's able to exhaust itself to protect the thing Voss is targeting?

Also, there's another ally, Bala Silentblade, who gains attack power when she attacks an exhausted ally or hero. If she's attacking something, and another ally or hero comes in to protect it, does that protector count as exhausted in terms of the attack power boost, since it had to exhaust itself to protect?

Jebu on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Jebu wrote:
    So here's a couple questions.

There's a Horde ally, Voss Treebender, who can exhaust allies or heroes as he's attacking. Could you attack something with Voss and exhaust a protector before it's able to exhaust itself to protect the thing Voss is targeting?

Also, there's another ally, Bala Silentblade, who gains attack power when she attacks an exhausted ally or hero. If she's attacking something, and another ally or hero comes in to protect it, does that protector count as exhausted in terms of the attack power boost, since it had to exhaust itself to protect?

To your first one, yes, you can exhaust a protector with Voss to prevent it from being able to protect.

And yes, for Bala as long at whatever she is attacking is exhausted, she will get the +3 attack.

Kelor on
    edited January 2007
    So I finally got to use the Onyxia deck against Angelshade113, my roommate and my roommate's girlfriend. I won after they got me down to 6 health, but I wasn't going all out or they probably wouldn't have made it that far.

The highlight was when I pulled all 20 whelps out on one turn.

As a side note, how exactly does combat work? Does someone propose a combat between one ally/hero to another ally/hero, finish that combat, then do another if wanted, or is it only once per turn?

Joeslop on
    edited January 2007
    Joeslop wrote:
    So I finally got to use the Onyxia deck against Angelshade113, my roommate and my roommate's girlfriend. I won after they got me down to 6 health, but I wasn't going all out or they probably wouldn't have made it that far.

The highlight was when I pulled all 20 whelps out on one turn.

As a side note, how exactly does combat work? Does someone propose a combat between one ally/hero to another ally/hero, finish that combat, then do another if wanted, or is it only once per turn?

You can have as many combats as you want provided there are eligible attackers and defenders.

I got an Onyxia deck as a gift and I can't wait to try it out. Unfortunately I've only got two friends nearby who play the game, so I'm actively campaigning to get the rest to start playing so I can beat the crap out of them.

Jebu on
    edited January 2007
    actually got to play the Onyxia deck, its fucking awesome.

the first round they got me to 12, that was vs. two people...

the next round, after i knew what i was doing, 3 people never even got me to stage 3.

my question though is, does onyxia have any direct physical attack? she has the +1 and cards that bump it up like +5 or even + whatever stage your on, does that just get added to everything else?

because we figured its not very fair if you were to use like +7 with a deep breath.

Zephos on
    edited January 2007
    Zephos wrote:
    actually got to play the Onyxia deck, its fucking awesome.

the first round they got me to 12, that was vs. two people...

the next round, after i knew what i was doing, 3 people never even got me to stage 3.

my question though is, does onyxia have any direct physical attack? she has the +1 and cards that bump it up like +5 or even + whatever stage your on, does that just get added to everything else?

because we figured its not very fair if you were to use like +7 with a deep breath.

Her attack is equal to the current stage + any abilities that are adding attack.

So her very first turn she has 1 Attack, unless you have a way to add more to it.

Joeslop on
    edited January 2007
    k, my buddies and i sat for a good 1/2 hour debating that.

Zephos on
    edited January 2007
    So apparently, this Sunday one of the local comic shops is hosting a WoW CCG tournament. Entry fee is $5. Both my decks probably aren't very good, but I'm going anyway, along with my roommate and Angelshade113.

Any suggestions for improvement? I'm waiting on two Starfires to arrive from eBay, which should hopefully be before Sunday.

Gorebelly Deck: I have 4 Myrmidon's Signet that I haven't allocated yet, would they be good for Gorebelly since I don't really have any healing for him?

Equipment - Take note that I don't have much in the way of Warrior equipment besides whats here. It feels like I have an excessive amount though.

1x Masons Fraternity Ring
    2x Annihilator
    1x Lord Alexander's Battle Axe
    1x Deathbringer
    2x Edgemaster's Handguards
    1x The Cruel Hand of Timmy
    1x Draconian Deflector
    1x Brain Hacker
    1x Lionheart Helm

Allies -

4x Mias the Putrid
    2x Confessor Mildred
    1x Jin'lak Nightfang
    1x Hierophant Caydiem

Abilities -

4x Rend
    4x Execute
    2x Shield Bash
    3x Charge
    2x Heroic Strike
    1x Berserker Stance
    2x Battle Shout
    1x Cleave
    3x Rally The Troops
    1x Exhaustion
    2x Vanquish
    2x Quick Strike

Quests -

2x Torek's Assault
    4x Big Game Hunters
    2x Blueleaf Tubers
    2x Sunken Treasure
    2x Chasing A-Me 01
    1x Zapped Giants

Moonshadow - The card drawing and healing of this deck is pretty good, but I do roughly no damage.

Equipment -

1x Green Whelp Armor
    1x Hide of the Wild
    1x The Hammer of Grace

Allies -
    4x Kena Shadowbrand
    3x Freya Lightsworn
    2x Sha'lin Nightwind
    2x Parvink
    1x Liba Wobblebonk
    1x Latro Abiectus
    1x Lafiel
    1x Braxiss the Sleeper
    1x Galahandra, Keeper of the Sileny Grove
    1x Donna Calister
    1x Nerra Lifeboon
    1x Anika Berlyn
    1x Seva Shadowdancer
    1x Lhurg Venomblade

Abilities -

4x Healing Touch
    3x Entangling Roots
    4x Mark of the Wild
    2x Primal Mending
    2x Natural Selection
    1x Bash
    1x Call the Spirit
    1x Starfire
    2x Vanquish
    1x Interest You in a Pint?
    2x Burn Away

Quests -

3x Blueleaf Tubers
    3x The Defias Brotherhood
    2x Your Fortune Awaits You
    1x A Donation of Wool
    1x Sunken Treasure
    1x In Dreams
    1x Chasing A-Me 01
    1x Tooga's Quest

Joeslop on
    edited January 2007
    Joeslop wrote:
    decklists lol

The warrior deck looks ok, although I think you have maybe one or two more weapons than you need. I'd say either take out the Hand of Timmy or the Krol Blade, or possibly both, and put other cards in. You have a decent number of quests, although you may want a couple zapped giants in if you have any.

You don't really have enough allies to make Besh'iah that useful as far as ability removal goes, so I'd recommend replacing her with Confessor Mildred since that'll be more effective ability removal. Bala Silentblade is a really mediocre ally from my experience, so I'd say throw another Confessor in for her. Since your hero is pretty strong and should have good armor, you probably don't need the Kulan Earthguards unless you have other allies you want to protect, so either take them out or put in something strong but fragile like Vaerik Proudhoof (5/3 for 4) or Jin'lak Nightfang (3/1 for 2 with anti-protection ability). Hierophant Caydiem could also really help if you can get any.

As far as the druid deck goes, it looks pretty good, although your ally pool is pretty inconsistent. You can heal yourself pretty well, so don't worry too much about protectors and throw in more allies to beat the hell out of your opponent, since you've got plenty of ways to buff them up.

Jebu on
    edited January 2007
    Switched out a Blueleaf Tubers for a Zapped Giants, since I don't foresee needing to reshuffle my graveyard that much. Replaced the allies you suggested with 2 Confessors, Jin'lak and Caydiem. Didn't have any others that you mentioned. Also switched the Krol Blade out for another Execute, and replaced one of the Annihilators with a Lionheart Helm.

As for Druid allies..I've got a Lhurg Venomblade, another Kena Shadowbrand and 3 Hannah the Unstoppables that I'm considering. Should I add another Parvink? And how is Wilba in practice?

EDIT: Took out Crazy Igvand and the Barleybeard dude, replaced with another Kena and Lhurg. Still trying to figure out how to fit 3 Hannah's and maybe Wilba in.

Joeslop on
    edited January 2007
    I haven't really tried out Wilba, so I don't really know how good she is in practice. It might be a good sideboard card against a deck that relies on big allies, but I can't imagine it being good against, say, Hunter weenie decks or Mage control decks.

Right now I've got a fairly decent Shaman deck, although it's a bit too light on equipment right now, especially armor, and I don't have some abilities I'd like eventually like Rockbiter Weapon and Windfury Totem. It also doesn't have much drawing power, which I'm not sure how to fix beyond just adding more quests:

Equipment:
    1x Annilhilator
    1x The Shatterer
    2x Iceblade Hacker
    1x Draconian Deflector

Allies:
    2x Kulan Earthguard
    2x Ophelia Barrows
    1x Zy'lah Manslayer
    2x Hierophant Caydiem
    1x Hur Shieldsmasher
    2x Zygore Bladebreaker
    2x Vaerik Proudhoof
    2x Samuel Grey
    3x Confessor Mildred
    2x Windseer Talus
    1x Jin'lak Nightfang

Abilities:
    4x Frost Shock
    2x Lightning Bolt
    1x Chain Lightning
    2x Healing Wave
    2x Purge
    2x Ghost Wolf
    3x Searing Totem
    2x Earthbind Totem
    1x Healing Stream Totem
    1x Totemic Call
    1x Elemental Focus

Quests:
    2x Sunken Treasure
    1x Counterattack
    1x Torek's Assault
    1x Blueleaf Tubers
    2x Chasing A-Me 01
    2x It's a Secret to Everybody
    2x Kibler's Exotic Pets
    1x Zapped Giants
    2x Princess Trapped

I also made an Alliance Priest deck the other day, although it's still pretty rough and at this point mostly is about outlasting the opponent rather than killing anything effectively:

Equipment:
    1x Hammer of Grace

Allies:
    2x Warden Tonarin
    4x Latro Abiectus
    2x Kena Shadowbrand
    4x Randipan
    2x Parvink
    2x Moira Darkheart
    2x Tristan Rapidstrike
    2x Nerra Lifeboon
    2x Braxiss the Sleeper
    2x Acolyte Demia

Abilities:
    4x Mind Spike
    2x Shadow Word: Pain
    4x Chastise
    3x Flash Heal
    2x Heal
    4x Dispel Magic
    1x Mind Control
    1x Prayer of Healing
    1x Psychic Scream
    1x Spiritual Healing

Quests:
    2x Kibler's Exotic Pets
    2x Chasing A-Me 01
    2x Into the Maw of Madness
    2x The Princess Trapped
    2x Blueleaf Tubers
    2x Your Fortune Awaits You

Obviously I'm severely lacking Zapped Giants. >< Any suggestions for improvement for either deck are welcome.

Jebu on
    edited January 2007
    Since I am gonna be playing in that tournament on Sunday with Joeslop I thought I too would post my list to see what you think. I have the Ta'zo deck and I'm hopeing to buy off another fireball and mana agate from Joeslop, that's why I only have 58 cards in the deck I am goning to present. I know I need stronger cards, but I haven't bought as many cards as some people and I just don't have the money to go online and spend tons on special cards.

Equipment:

1x Inventor's Focal Sword
    1x Chromatic Cloak
    1x Netherwind Crown

Allies -

1x Mias the Putrid
    1x Vexra Darkfall
    1x Vaerik Proudhoof
    1x Confessor Mildred
    1x Arnold Flem
    1x Guardian Steelhorn
    1x Wazzuli Wildmender
    2x Kulan earthguard
    2x Fa'tafi
    2x Zygore Bladebreaker
    2x Watcher Mal'wi

Abilities -

4x Fire Blast
    2x Mana Agate
    2x Flamestrike
    1x Winter's Grasp
    1x Counterspell
    1x Frost Nova
    3x Fireball
    1x Arcane Intellect
    1x Blink
    4x Polymorph
    1x Vanquish
    2x Shattering Blow
    2x Burn away

Quests -

2x Torek's Assault
    3x Your Fortune Awaits
    1x Blueleaf Tubers
    1x Sunken Treasure
    2x Chasing A-Me 01
    3x Zapped Giants
    2x It's a Secret to Everybody
    1x Into the Maw of Madness

Angelshade113 on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Okay, question.

now that it's been out for a month, how hard is it to find the Onyxia raid deck?

I looked online, and 1 of the auctions was for just the deck's box, and the other was for the deck sans loot/treasure cards. Both seemed like shitty deals.

I unfortunately don't know where my local gaming shop is (Normal, IL), so I can't go hunting. =(

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • SanfordSanford Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    They still have the Onyxia set in every gaming shop I've been in in the UK. It's Heroes of Azeroth boosters that are still proving hard to come by.

If you're really stuck I'd be happy to ship one over to you providing you cover the costs but I'm sure you can find one in the US much much cheaper.

Sanford on
    edited January 2007
    check your GS and EB's.

it is getting rather hard to find, but they are out there.

a lot of GS/EB's don't really sell CCG stuff very well so anything they get in they kinda put to the side, so its worth checking.

Zephos on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Well, the stores up in Rockford didn't even carry the game. Luckily, 1 of the 2 EB's here in Bloomington/Normal does, but they were sold out of the Ony raid pack.

I can't get it for a week anyways, I'm just scouting.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I am incredibly lucky. In the two starter packs that I obtained, I got two inventor's focal swords. This item is the bomb, diggity.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
    edited January 2007
    I went and gave plasma today. Since it's been over 6 months since my last donation, I had to have another physical, but they paid me $40 instead of the normal $30. So I went and bought 9 packs*.

I pulled a Landro Longshot; if only they were still going for their original prices.

*This was my idea from the start. I figured, why not go lounge around for a few hours to get some money and buy some packs with that, instead of using the money I actually worked for.

Joeslop on
  • LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    On a whim, I bought a pack at a game store. Two druid cards (yes!) and Headmaster's Charge.

Yay epics!

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
    edited January 2007
    Argh. Sometimes I really hate my luck. I had a $45 giftcard to a Hobbytown USA, and since he didn't have any Shadowrun books to order in, I bought 3 starter packs for $15 each, which is the cheapest I've found. Incidentally, boosters are $5.29 each there.

So what 3 did I get? Moonshadow, Ta'zo, and Warrax.

I already had Moonshadow after trading with Angelshade, who I gave my Ta'zo starter to. And I have a Gorebelly deck already.

Sure, I've got a few more helpful cards, but I would've prefered a deck I didn't already have. And the kicker is that 3 of the boosters had the same 12 cards, with a couple of uncommons and the rares being different.

At least I got a Headmaster's Charge.

Joeslop on
    edited January 2007
    If you want to get specific preconstructed decks for different classes, http://www.starcitywow.com sells them separate from the actual starter deck for 6-9 bucks each (although the Hunter one is $13 :roll: ).

Jebu on
    edited January 2007
    On another note, anyone looking to trade Oversized cards?

Joeslop on