As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Thread: moar like Waithammer Online

• DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited February 2008
    When they shut down beta for a few months, a very large number of people got kicked out for breaking the NDA.

Unknown User on
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    All those idiots got kicked?

Good. Morons.

Oats on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If they boot someone from beta for saying the name of their character, lord, fuck them. That is such bullshit I wouldn't even buy their product.

But for you nancies out there how about we discuss what names we plan on using for retail or what names we usually use in MMOs.

My casters are almost always Asgro. My tanks Accualt, light tanks Sintel/Sinarch.

Accualt on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited February 2008
    I usually go by the name Zophar, Rahpoz, Zoph, etc.

Unknown User on
  • Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    These videos are butt. D:

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    defrag wrote: »
    These videos are butt. D:

I thought the parts with the 'Dwarven' areas looked really nice.

A major part of the terrain/texturing seems to be in the shaders, and I'm pretty sure they aren't testing them yet.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The big thing for me was the animations. The sounds were good, but the animations were sooooo damned stiff. The shaders and textures we can hope will get put in videos sooner or later, but man, they really need to up the quality of these pre-release videos. I'm sure they turn off quite a few people who don't have quite the same level of frothing demand that T6M does.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    all the Daoc animations are still stiff and akward looking. It will get better with time :D

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Every WAR video I've seen so far has had crappy player animations. :(

Some of the commonly used sounds are terrible too.

815165 on
  • zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You do realize that all these videos are don't have the same FPS as the game will, right? Video needs to be encoded for the Web, and it drastically reduces the quality of animation and all kinds of other stuff. Has any ingame footage of any MMO looked as good as actually playing it has?

zenpotato on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    zenpotato wrote: »
    You do realize that all these videos are don't have the same FPS as the game will, right? Video needs to be encoded for the Web, and it drastically reduces the quality of animation and all kinds of other stuff. Has any ingame footage of any MMO looked as good as actually playing it has?
    Considering this is the stuff EA Mythic makes to sell their game, you'd expect it to look at least semi-decent.

Aldo on
  • XzeanXzean Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    I usually go by the name Zophar, Rahpoz, Zoph, etc.

Yeah I can't not go by the name Xzean or some iteration. Been using it since I was 9, heh.

Xzean on
    9df14c6e1e43475d.png
    edited February 2008
    I try to pick something that sounds/looks like "Aldo" because otherwise I get confused.

Aldo on
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    zenpotato wrote: »

I don't agree. It's easy to record ingame footage at 60fps with the same settings as you would normally play, as long as your pc is up to it. And I would assume that they aren't running old pcs. Also encoding for the web really doesn't mean you have to lose quality, just look at some of the videos on stage6.

And hell, it's not the fps or the encoding that is making them look less than impressive, it's the animations and general sexiness of the graphics. Yes it's only beta, but it is also likely to turn some people off the game. I actually thought the gameplay itself looked better in those videos than ones we've seen before and am even more torn between what classes/race i want to play. Witch hunter is just sooo cool, as are .... god all of them really.

Lly on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So, what's the customisation of characters like? Is it more the standard MMORPG, with you able to customise the smallest details of your character, or is it like WoW where you can only change a very select few details?

Leitner on
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think they've said it'll be like WoW with more options (head, beard, etc.) and more choices.

The addition of trophies and armour dye past character creation will help even more, though.

Oats on
  • Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So.. I heard TSM still isn't in beta. Score! :(

Oddjob187 on
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Take a look, also, at the "older" classes over the elves. The marauders seemed to have less of the disjointed snap-back-to-guard-and-pause breaks. Not surprising, as the elves are the newest additions.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    God, finally some marauder footage in combat.

I think between armor dyes and trophies (which are fucking rad) we'll end up with a pretty high level of individual customization compared to other MMO's.

Although I really hate the idea of making trophies competitive, even if they grant no bonuses outside aesthetics it seems like a lot of guilds/powergamers will want the best ones just for the recognition.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    hard to tell at this point where the press are all getting pre-made characters that all look the same

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • ColdbrandColdbrand Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Shoggoth wrote: »
    Although I really hate the idea of making trophies competitive, even if they grant no bonuses outside aesthetics it seems like a lot of guilds/powergamers will want the best ones just for the recognition.

...you realize that's the whole point? This whole game is extremely competitive, and that's all you hear Paul talk about.

Coldbrand on
    edited February 2008
    Hasn't Mythic said that we're seeing post-restart beta stuff, which gave little or no character options?

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited February 2008
    Coldbrand wrote: »

...you realize that's the whole point? This whole game is extremely competitive, and that's all you hear Paul talk about.

You don't say.

I mean, I have yet to see the scale of difficulty in requiring trophies, but if it's something that requires a super amazing guild to acquire that sucks. It's not the competitive aspect I'm worried about, it's hardcore vs casual and who they'll be catering to in that respect.

The newest descriptions sounds like hardcore.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
    edited February 2008
    It'll just be a pissing contest, imagine the hardcore raider going "hah, you peasant, I have the nostrils of a dragon attached to my codpiece!" And the casual player just shrugging "yeah, all right, those nostrils won't save you from my fireballs."

I mean, whoopteedoo, the no-lifers will show off their rare stuff, but in the end they won't actually be stronger because of it.

Aldo on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    At least not until the WAR of Atlantis expansion pack comes out.

Accualt on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hahaha no.

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited February 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    It'll just be a pissing contest, imagine the hardcore raider going "hah, you peasant, I have the nostrils of a dragon attached to my codpiece!" And the casual player just shrugging "yeah, all right, those nostrils won't save you from my fireballs."

I mean, whoopteedoo, the no-lifers will show off their rare stuff, but in the end they won't actually be stronger because of it.

There'll be a big difference if the hardcore player has a necklace of glowing emeralds and a dragon face stretched over his armor while all you can acquire is a couple bent spoons and the head of a dire-badger.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'd say it's a fair reward for being a better player. If you can kill something bigger and stronger than someone else, you deserve cooler stuff.

captaink on
    edited February 2008

There'll be a big difference if the hardcore player has a necklace of glowing emeralds and a dragon face stretched over his armor while all you can acquire is a couple bent spoons and the head of a dire-badger.

I think I'd wear the spoons and badger head anyways.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited February 2008
    That's their reward for pouring more time in the game. What exactly is the problem here?

Aldo on
    edited February 2008
    Wren wrote: »

Fish are more stylin' amongst the lower classes of Altdorf this spring.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Are there professins in WAR?

Or is that verboten?

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited February 2008
    Wren wrote: »

Yeah, but I feel like if most people will just end up wearing the dragon head for recognition then the trophy system is less of a way to add diversity to the game.
    That's their reward for pouring more time in the game. What exactly is the problem here?

I dunno, I guess it's not a problem. I think it's lame that they've constantly touted WAR as a very casual friendly game, trying to tone down the gap between hardcore etc. but this new information about the trophy system seems counter to that. Depending on how drastically difficult to acquire/cool looking the trophies are.

Before the newest info was released I, probably erroneously, assumed the system was just a way to add diversity to the game. With the inclusion of hardcore vs casual it seems like that'll undermine that mechanic a great deal, and I think that's lame.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, but I feel like if most people will just end up wearing the dragon head for recognition then the trophy system is less of a way to add diversity to the game.
    That's why there'll be a lot of trophies. Or at least, that's what they tell us, maybe there will only be a dozen. The way I see it there'll be so much trophies that people won't recognize all of them. They'll notice that some people wear shinier stuff, but it'll just be a batch of honour.

I understand right you can earn these batches in dozens of ways, from being the first to find something to killing thousands of them to whatever else you can think of.

Aldo on
    edited February 2008
    Are there professins in WAR?

Or is that verboten?

I don't think we've heard anything since pre-pre-Alpha. Where Paul said there would be, but not "picking flowers" or knitting cute hats. They would be war related.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    They said that there'll be a lot of different trophies, and as such players will look more varied in their setups. they also say that you'll be able to put your trophies on different slots on your armor, so some will have that dire-badger trophy on their hats and others will strap it on their belt etc.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited February 2008
    picking bloody flowers and knitting cute warhats

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited February 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »
    They said that there'll be a lot of different trophies, and as such players will look more varied in their setups. they also say that you'll be able to put your trophies on different slots on your armor, so some will have that dire-badger trophy on their hats and others will strap it on their belt etc.

Yeah, that aspect is immutable.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • narv107narv107 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm more than happy to display my paltry [Badger's Head of Having Sex] despite the mockery of someone prancing about with a [Dragon's Head of not seeing the Sun in Weeks]

narv107 on
  • zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So far what has been announced is that there is a crafting system, it is one of the new and unique features WAR hopes to bring the genre, and it will be focused on war material (both gathering and output from what I recall).

In some of Paul's videos, I believe you can see some paper prototypes of the crafting system in the background.

zenpotato on
This discussion has been closed.