As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Dinophobia

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin

Dinophobia!

Penny Arcade - Comic - Dinophobia

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

• Options
    OverkillengineOverkillengine Registered User regular
    Not where I thought it was going, and I am glad for that.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Not where I thought it was going, and I am glad for that.

I mean, sauropods are basically giraffes.
    k56kwqfgyqv0.png

• Options
    FireballDragonFireballDragon Registered User regular
    It's not enough that dinosaurs are already extinct, Capcom wants to render then extinct over and over again?

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    Who hasn't dreamt of riding a lobotomized triceratops to school?

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    After a brief wiki-tour, I learned that Brontosaurus is real again, which gives me the opposite feeling as learning that Pluto isn't a planet

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Delzhand wrote: »
    After a brief wiki-tour, I learned that Brontosaurus is real again, which gives me the opposite feeling as learning that Pluto isn't a planet

Brontosaurus never stopped being real if you read primary sources and not schoolbook "this isn't a real dinosaur" stories.

The rough timeline is that Brontosaurus excelsus and Brontosaurus amplus were originally paired to hypothetical skulls based on Brachiosaurus, while Apatosaurus parvus and Apatosaurus yahnahpin were pairs to hypothetical skulls based on Camarasaurus.

Around the 1970's the two genuses were combined when a Brontosaurus amplus skeleton was found near Camarasaurus-like teeth, leading to the (still wrong) belief that both genuses had similar skulls.

So now Brontosaurus excelsus and amplus became Apatosaurus excelsus and amplus.

But then came the discovery of actual skulls. Apatosaurus and Brontosaurus both had skulls more like Diplodocus, but with key structural differences that split the genus. Interestingly Brontosaurus took not just excelsus and amplus, but also the original Apatosauruses parvus and yahnahpin, leaving Apatosaurus ajax and louisae (originally Atlantosaurs) behind.

So entirely the same situation as Pluto. You're having feelings because you are applying some kind of value judgement to a purely quantitative classification system.

Pluto is at least a simpler story - Kuiper and Tombaugh determined a few months after discovery that it wasn't a planet when they adjusted their mass estimate from 10 earths down to 0.01 earths. It just survived for a long time on a rule astronomy has (but biology does not) that no category can be created on a single example.

Hevach on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Djiem wrote: »

Why's it gotta be lobotomized? Why can't it just be a well trained and obedient good doggie?

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Djiem wrote: »

Why's it gotta be lobotomized? Why can't it just be a well trained and obedient good doggie?

Look into that dinosaur 's eyes. Only the void remains.

• Options
    Johnny17Johnny17 Registered User regular
    Humbug! Dinosaurs belong in witty social comedy not shooters!

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Johnny17 wrote: »

Pride and Pterodactyls
    Sense and Sauropods

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    v2miccav2micca Registered User regular
    Calling foul. Gabe would call them Majestic Reptiles and Tycho would correct him.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    v2micca wrote: »
    Calling foul. Gabe would call them Majestic Reptiles and Tycho would correct him.

Eh? They are reptiles. And they are majestic.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    It's not enough that dinosaurs are already extinct, Capcom wants to render then extinct over and over again?

I'm guessing that anything kaiju-adjacent reads a bit differently for Capcom's devs than it does a Western audience.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options

I'm guessing that anything kaiju-adjacent reads a bit differently for Capcom's devs than it does a Western audience.

Pretty sure to kaiju, dinosaurs are just "a slightly larger bug."

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Johnny17 wrote: »

Pride and Pterodactyls
    Sense and Sauropods
    @Rhesus Positive Downton Diplodocus. :wink:

• Options
    ATF_GriffATF_Griff Registered User regular
    Why do they think dinosaurs make good monsters that just attack everything? They're animals that used to exist. They would probably be either indifferent or frightened if they encountered us. I mean do you see lions and tigers running around attacking everything they see?

• Options
    LttlefootLttlefoot Registered User regular
    1ews45guw8ye.png

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    ATF_Griff wrote: »
    Why do they think dinosaurs make good monsters that just attack everything? They're animals that used to exist. They would probably be either indifferent or frightened if they encountered us. I mean do you see lions and tigers running around attacking everything they see?

Well the closest living relative of dinosaurs are birds and you know what's also a large bird? Geese.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    afv03fis74p5.png

dennis on
  • Options
    jberryjberry longtime reader firsttime poster Fort Smith Ark USARegistered User regular
    morelike dinophilia