As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Diablo] ... please move on to new thread ...

NogginNoggin Registered User regular
edited June 2023 in Games and Technology
LHB88gh.png
This thread is for all things Diablo:
...the originals by Blizzard North (Resurrected!), Diablo III, the infamous Immortal, and of course, Diablo IV!!
Please feel free to ask questions, share stories and items, plans for new seasons, hopes for new content, and so on!

DIABLO IV!
How to join the clan, The Merch Hungers.
HexDex wrote: »
1. Joining the clan is a multi-step process. Once you request to join, I or an officer have to accept your request. Then you will get an invite that you need to accept. You wont auto join once you have been approved.

2. You have to opt into quick join in this game. It's not on by default like D3 so your friends/clan mates cant just jump in.

Still have a bunch of people who have requested the invite, but have not accepted it!

other trailers ( to reduce v-scroll a bit )
system specs:
Minimum Spec Requirements

Settings to run Diablo IV at 1080p native resolution/720p render resolution, low graphics settings, and 30fps.

Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K or AMD FX-8350
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 or AMD Radeon R9 280
DirectX: Version 12
Storage: SSD with 90 GB available space
Internet: Broadband Connection
Medium Spec Requirements

Settings to run Diablo IV at 1080p resolution, medium graphics settings, and 60fps.

Processor: Intel Core i5-4670K or AMD Ryzen 1300X
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 or AMD Radeon RX 470
High Spec Requirements

Settings to run Diablo IV at 1080p resolution, high graphics settings, and 60fps.

Processor: Intel Core i7-8700K or AMD Ryzen 2700X
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 or AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
Ultra 4K Spec Requirements

Settings to run Diablo IV at 4K resolution, ultra graphics settings, and 60fps.

Processor: Intel Core i7-8700K or AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Memory: 32 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 40 Series for fully supported DLSS3 or AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT

Resources and news updates:
Wowhead overview: https://www.wowhead.com/news/class-overviews-for-diablo-iv-barbarian-druid-sorceress-rogue-necromancer-328233
Season / Battle pass / Shop post:
https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo4/23816415/diablo-iv-quarterly-update-august-2022
Endgame paragon & glyphs: ( a bit outdated, but much of the concept remains)
https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo4/23746639/diablo-iv-quarterly-update-december-2021?blzcmp=blizzard-news

CLASSES
  • Barbarian is able to use 4 weapons, and switches between them based on skills. You can
  • Sorceress can enchant two skills, making them stronger or more useful.
  • Druid freely shapeshifts based on skill usage, and can specialize with animal spirits to augment your build.
  • Rogue will mix both blades and bows, can imbue their weapons, and specializes in combo points, energy regen, or cooldowns.
  • Necro will have minions, blood/bone, and sounds like some actual DoT skills. Can sacrifice a minion type for passive bonuses. https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo4/23816542/diablo-iv-quarterly-update-june-2022
  • Choice of gender and appearance for each.

SKILLS
  • Skill points earned by leveling and finding tomes in the world. Elective Mode-style.
  • Paragon boards unlock after level 50, and provide deeper control over how you build your character.
  • There is a respec cost, that starts off very cheap, and you can respec on a point-by-point basis if you don't need a blank slate.
  • Skill trees at launch are the beginning, larger updates will add more options.

ITEMS
  • Uniques are back, and will have a strong focus on defining builds.
  • Items can add ranks to skills, going past the cap or providing a skills you don't have.
  • Legendaries provide benefits that can roll on almost* any “rare” item, be claimed from a dungeon as an Aspect, or extracted from an item by the Occutlist.
  • Aspects can be imprinted onto rare items, turning them into a legendary!
  • * Legendary powers are found/imprinted by category on the following slots:
    Defensive - Shield, Helm, Chest, Pants, Amulet
    Offensive - Amulet, Weapon, Gloves, Ring
    Resource - Helm, Amulet, Ring
    Utility - Shield, Helm, Chest, Amulet, Gloves, Ring
    Mobility - Amulet, Boot
  • * Aspects receive a 50% bonus on amulets and a 100% bonus on two-handed weapons
  • Certain monsters have a bonus chance to drop certain items, regardless of what class you are playing. World bosses drop a socketing item, skeletons apparently drop crossbows, etc.

Campaign / Endgame: (so far... )
  • The main acts of the campaign can be played in any order.
  • After beating the campaign once, future characters can choose to "Skip Campaign" from the selection screen. This can be done at any time, even if you already started in campaign!
  • Lilith statues are hidden throughout the world and only need to be found once. Their stat bonus persists through seasons.
  • Quests / activities will increase your Renown in an area, allowing you to earn extra potions and skill points. These are reset by seasons.
    ---
  • World tiers (initially two) allow you to raise the difficulty of the game in return for more reward. Tiers 3 through 5 are unlocked as you get deeper into the game.
  • Nightmare Dungeons: there are keys that will bring a specific dunegon area to higher level, with modifiers, allowing you to push your character and plan ahead for the content. These will allow you to level Glyphs, which are kinda like legendary gems but in the form of a passive skill you socket into the paragon board.
  • Helltides: From world tier 3 on, a map region can be consumed by a helltide, empowering the monsters and allowing them to drop Cinders, which can be used on chests scattered around the area to receive a specific reward.
  • Whispers of the Dead: Sorta like bounties, there will be events scattered around the world worth 1, 3, or 5 favors on completion. 10 favors can be exchanged at the Tree of Whispers for your choice of a loot cache. Favors cap at 10, but excess whispers are retained for your next cycle.
  • PVP is available in a select few zones. It is completely optional and only provides cosmetics.
  • The endgame beta news post said that all of this is "some of what Diablo IV has to offer", so hopefully there's a bit more to hear about soon.

GAMEPLAY
  • Large, open map with world events and other players. Dungeons are solo or party of four, and are seamless with no load screens.
  • However, Campaign areas in public zones are private until after the campaign objective has been completed. Entire game can be soloed.
  • Clans are back, including a clan bank.
  • Includes PvP, hardcore, seasons, and trading! (certain items will bind)
  • Controller support confirmed for PC, including option for Bottom-Left or Bottom-Center action bar
  • No WASD movement but it is being considered

Noteworthy game options:
Sound
- In-game Loot Sounds can be turned off for all or certain types
- You can raise the threshold for loot sounds to occur from Common to Magic/Rare/Legendary/Unique
- You can enable sounds for ambient loot (which I think means if you left the area and walked back it would play again)
- Error dialog can be replaced with a noise, or turned off entirely.

Gameplay
- Channeled skills can be turned into a toggle
- You can reduce strobing lights if that's a concern
- Advanced tooltips can be enabled to show property ranges and whether they are additive/multiplicative

Controls
- On PC, movement, basic attack, and interact are all on left click by default. You can disable that and set them individually, or rebind the basic skill and enable “move and interact” on left click.
( Note that you can swap between KBaM and Controller seamlessly, at any time, just by using it )
- Controller lets you lock-on to targets by tapping right-stick (AMAZING for kiting playstyles)
- Likewise, “Persist Target Lock” will automatically lock onto something in your next pack of enemies

Social [ and Clan! ]
- Cross platform play can be disabled, but it locks you out of the Clan feature
- NPC dialog can be removed from the chat box
- Local chat is joined by default, but you can leave it
- The "Clan Member Comes Online" notification is off by default
- Quick Join is off by default. Some of us used this a lot in 3 so it's good to be aware of.

Accessibility
- Screen shake and combat hit flashes can be disabled
Diablo II: Ressurected
It's actually happening happened, it's out now!! Same game mechanics, new graphics, along with increased stash size, an auto-pick gold option, and controller support!

Runewords: https://www.wowhead.com/guides/diablo-2-runewords-types-bonuses-sockets
Diablo III PC: How to join the PA Clan - The Merch Hungers
You can always ask in thread, but the suggested method is to join the community PAF and request an invite. Clan officers are watching the community chat and will be able to invite you.

D3 Switch player list
akjak - 4133-1546-2720
Bullhead - 8584-3896-5292
DoctorArch - 6732-9515-9697
eMoander - 3304-2356-9421
Kreutz - 1865-7515-8884
Kyanilis - 2835-3370-3810
Lindsay Lohan - 4979-2868-8944
Russad - 5307-0485-5998
Septus - 3333-7299-5216
skeldare - 3353-5433-5137
Stormwatcher - 5961-4777-3491
themightypuck - 1501-9129-2620
TimFiji - 2322-2047-3148
TNTrooper - 6905-2510-1809
UncleSporky - 5443-2358-9118
urahonky - 0354-0000-5457
Wraithverge - 0125-6851-0236
Entaru
Rehab
mojojoeo
DarkMecha

How to disable legendary item notifications in PC clan chat
  • Open the clan window ( Hotkey N )
  • Click the "News" tab
  • Above the top-right corner of the feed, click the "Gear" button
  • Uncheck "Items"

Finally, some other helpful resources: Official Site | Maxroll.gg build guides |Diablofans.com | Builds | Difficulty Levels & Drop Rates | r/Diablo Subreddit

- Thanks to Previous Thread makers Skab, GoodKingJayIII, Bethryn, Shen, SkutSkut, HexDex, & _J_

Battletag: Noggin#1936
Echo on

• NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    I had some edits to the thread ready, but they were saved in wordpad and Microsoft decided that I need to buy it and can't even copy the text out. *headdesk*

So updates should arrive sometime tomorrow!

edit: just kidding, my wife told me to stop being a goose and upload it to google drive where I should've made the edits in the first place.

Noggin on
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Fireflash wrote: »
    So, unless I'm mistaken there's no shields (the piece of gear) in Diablo 4. No concept of blocking. Just barriers which so far seem pretty standardized across all classes and items.

Necromancers can get shields, I know since I had a couple drop.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    Fireflash wrote: »
    So, unless I'm mistaken there's no shields (the piece of gear) in Diablo 4. No concept of blocking. Just barriers which so far seem pretty standardized across all classes and items.

Necromancers can get shields, I know since I had a couple drop.

Yeah I can definitely see a necro using a shield, and maybe a druid?

But it probably isn't as interesting as all the other options, so I'm fine with them not really being a thing (or only showing up if/when Paladins or Crusaders or whatever get added, and have them be class-specific)

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    Good luck to anyone who tries to play D4 on hardcore.

Oh another thing I meant to get added is the social options. It looked like quick join was disabled by default, so next weekend I’d like to go through and figure out what we need to know for grouping purposes.

I did not see any sort of fully-solo mode for those wondering, but did see an option to disable cross-platform, which might make a minor difference if you want a more desolate sanctuary.

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Frothing demand continues! Gotta be my favorite PC centric franchise and RPG of all time. Might have to get back to where I left off in Diablo II Remastered soon to scratch the itch all the hype is creating.

Next three months are all my most anticipated games of the year (absent a surprise Hades 2 drop) with Advance Wars next month, Zelda in May, and Diablo IV of course in June. If anything could pull me away from Zelda, which are always releases that nullify the importance and priority of literally everything else, it would be a new Diablo game. They hold the same sort of power to an equal or perhaps slightly lesser degree. Gonna be one hellova year for games. Hail Satan!

NNID: Rehab0
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    There are roughly 2.5 months until D4 releases.

Those last two Primals on PC shouldn't be a problem, but I suspect my girlfriend and I really need to dive in (once Beta Weekend Part 2 concludes) and progress on Playstation.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    I gotta say the little once sentence blurb tooltip descriptions of some of these new mechanics are not all that clear, especially since you can gets skills/gear that synergize with things before you find anything that activates the ability. "Do X while Berserking." Ok, what's that?" "Deal 20% more damage to vulnerable targets." So... how do I know if they're vulnerable? Fortify, etc.

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    When something is vulnerable the health bar looks like cracked glass. Can happen to your character too, look at the hp orb. Rogue characters get various ways of applying vulnerability, i assume other classes do too.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
    forty wrote: »
    I gotta say the little once sentence blurb tooltip descriptions of some of these new mechanics are not all that clear, especially since you can gets skills/gear that synergize with things before you find anything that activates the ability. "Do X while Berserking." Ok, what's that?" "Deal 20% more damage to vulnerable targets." So... how do I know if they're vulnerable? Fortify, etc.

Yeah there's a ton of things that just aren't explained at all, such as on the top right of the abilities screen there's a button to highlight all skills with a certain tag on them. So you can select "Berserking" and it'll highlight every skill that interacts with it so you can look for all the skills that trigger it.

Other things are like the emote wheel having leave dungeon etc. Something that's easy enough to stumble on when playing with a controller...but absolutely not mentioned at all with kb/m.

There's probably several more too.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Spiders. Why did the next boss have to be spiders.

• TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    I suspect they'll add resources for character building once the balance is in its launch state.

But some of the confusing stuff seems to be the skeletons of abandoned design.

In the first dungeon, there's a ladder at the end to take you out. And then in later dungeons, instead of having something clickable in-game, there are options in the map and the action wheel to teleport to the entrance of a dungeon.

Maybe they help you more if you choose the option in the beginning that you're not as experienced? Did anyone try that?

Tarantio on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Act 1 down.

Man, why didn't I give this a fair shake before. Giving the Butcher a face full of Unibeam was great. He always scared the shit out of me in the first game.

Seemed kinda short? I think it took about 5 hours. There's 4 acts, so is the story done in under 20 hours?

-Loki- on
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    The story never takes long.

The game's longevity is in grinding for loot on ever-increasing difficulty levels.

Yeah I won’t be doing that.

If I finish up 3 quick, I’ll probably get the Prime Evil upgrade, finish Reaper of Souls then try to finish 2 before 4 releases.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I got Sorceress to 20 during the beta and stopped. I got enough of a taste to know I would like it.

Tried all 3 elemental builds. Frost is my preference, because I just love Frozen Orb. But I also had the least success with Frost. Most bosses seemed immune to the slow effect, or dramatically reduced to the point that it was negligible.

Fire, on the other hand, performed exceptionally well. The DoT damage, plus Hydra, seemed very effective against bosses.

I got a legendary that had like a 38% change to spawn a second Lightning Spear when I shot that spell. That made my lightning build pretty effective too, but even with the legendary effect I still felt like Fire was better.

Next weekend I'll take Druid and Necro for a spin, to see how they play. I really don't have any interest in Rogue or Barb right now.

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    It's a bit smoother if you have the expansion lined up before you finish act 4

steam_sig.png
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    I got that Lightning Spear legendary as well and even with occasionally getting double spears they just didn't feel as impactful as having a single Hydra out.

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Ice Blades and Lightning spear both felt pretty pathetic compared to Hydra. They definitely seemed like something you toss out for status effects or crackling energy instead of damage.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Yeah the Ice blades were pretty underwhelming by themselves but with the enchantment and the cooldown upgrade you can end up with a bunch of blades out that made sure my shield and teleport cooldowns weren't too long.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    There were lots of little interactions to melt stuff on sorc heh. Fire shield into disintegrate with the proper upgrades melted single target fast on its own. With hydras was stupid dmg.

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I got Sorceress to 20 during the beta and stopped. I got enough of a taste to know I would like it.

Tried all 3 elemental builds. Frost is my preference, because I just love Frozen Orb. But I also had the least success with Frost. Most bosses seemed immune to the slow effect, or dramatically reduced to the point that it was negligible.

Fire, on the other hand, performed exceptionally well. The DoT damage, plus Hydra, seemed very effective against bosses.

I got a legendary that had like a 38% change to spawn a second Lightning Spear when I shot that spell. That made my lightning build pretty effective too, but even with the legendary effect I still felt like Fire was better.

Next weekend I'll take Druid and Necro for a spin, to see how they play. I really don't have any interest in Rogue or Barb right now.

It looked to me that cc stuff like chill and freeze don't work on bosses, but instead apply stagger damage. There's a bar under the boss hp bar that fills up from the center, and once full the boss is completely stunned for a few seconds.

• FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited March 2023
    I'm probably a little weird, but when I played on my bow rogue, I maxed out rapid fire and used that exclusively up to level 22. I specialized into the combo system and found a legendary that buffed the core skill damage by 50% but didn't use any other skills.

At level 22 I had 14 unspent skill points :D

Fiskebent on
    steam_sig.png
    It looked to me that cc stuff like chill and freeze don't work on bosses, but instead apply stagger damage. There's a bar under the boss hp bar that fills up from the center, and once full the boss is completely stunned for a few seconds.

Running as a trio for most of the weekend, it was nice to have a Barbarian applying Vulnerable to things so I didn't have to (my 6 slots were spoken for and I abandoned the basic that applied the debuff personally), but I noticed that they must not have chosen skills that applied stagger, because it felt like my ice imbued shots were the only things *slowly* adding to that bar. Never got close to full.

Off the cuff, as one was a lightning sorceress and the other was said Barbarian, that might have straight up been the case.

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Yeah with the rogue build I was running, the only thing that gives more than +1 stagger was when my legendary that automatically casts smoke bomb procs. My dashes apply a slow (or daze when already slowed), but neither of those applied fast enough to affect anything. I didn't even know where stagger was being tracked because I wasn't applying it fast enough!

Then I swapped and ran cold sorc for a bit before servers went down yesterday and immediately saw the difference.
    I'd have to imagine they would scale the stagger bar with party size as well, similar to hp. So you probably need multiple folks applying stagger. Even solo, it took most of the boss hp bar to fill the stagger guage.

• bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

If I finish up 3 quick, I’ll probably get the Prime Evil upgrade, finish Reaper of Souls then try to finish 2 before 4 releases.

...Finish 2...? D2 has a pretty extensive endgame... killing baal on hell is hardly finishing it.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
    bwanie wrote: »

...Finish 2...? D2 has a pretty extensive endgame... killing baal on hell is hardly finishing it.

Honestly after killing Baal on normal you've seen the game and can be satisfied. It has an endgame grind sure but you're done with the story.

• Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Does D4 play after D3, or is it a prequel?

I’m thinking it’s a prequel because
    Inarius was thrown in hell, got out but ended on Sanctuary and wants to defeat the bad guys on Sanctuary, so he can go back to Heaven (and we meet him in Heaven in D3).

We learn that Rathma is The First Necromancer, and necromancers are called Priests of Rathma in D3. We also see him get killed by (very probably Inarius) and Lilith isn’t too happy about that, and that happens during this storyline, because Lilith has only been wandering around for a few days, and we told Inarius what she was up to.

Was Rathma a very old dude that’s been around for hundreds of years? Long enough to create a whole priest-like cult around him? That’s why I think it’s set before D1.

And the Horadric Wolf gave a vision of Tristram burning, and Tristram burned in D1 and D2, and we saw the ruins of Tristram in D3, because they built a whole New Tristram.

There are no mentions of Deckard Cain or Tyrael or the Nephalem, but they do mention Zoltan Kulle (one of the bad Horadrim, and the Wolf mentions that many Horadrim strayed from the path, and it gave the impression that there weren’t any good ones left).
    We don’t hear anything about King Leoric/The Skeleton King (who, like the Butcher, has been around for all 3 Diablos) or Westmarch.

Furthermore, no mentions of Soulstones, which were important in D1-D3.

Lut Gholein (D2) and Caldeum (D3) are mentioned, but those are old cities.

And my interactions with the Bear Tribe barbarians didn’t give me that they were yapping about Arreat like they always did in the previous installments.

While I do expect we will return to Tristram in this game (and meet another Skeleton King, or he will be around terrorizing us as the Butcher does in random dungeons), I don’t know if we will go to one of the big desert cities (Though well probably meet Duriel there).

Will Scosglen be the more Tristram-like environment of a classic Middle Age setting (instead on a snowed one like the Fractured Peaks)?
    I’m curious how it goes next, and if later seasons/expansions will expand the map with more regions.

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius

Honestly after killing Baal on normal you've seen the game and can be satisfied. It has an endgame grind sure but you're done with the story.

I've never played an Arpg for it's story like, ever.

Yh6tI4T.jpg

Inarius was thrown in hell, got out but ended on Sanctuary and wants to defeat the bad guys on Sanctuary, so he can go back to Heaven (and we meet him in Heaven in D3).

We learn that Rathma is The First Necromancer, and necromancers are called Priests of Rathma in D3. We also see him get killed by (very probably Inarius) and Lilith isn’t too happy about that, and that happens during this storyline, because Lilith has only been wandering around for a few days, and we told Inarius what she was up to.

Was Rathma a very old dude that’s been around for hundreds of years? Long enough to create a whole priest-like cult around him? That’s why I think it’s set before D1.

And the Horadric Wolf gave a vision of Tristram burning, and Tristram burned in D1 and D2, and we saw the ruins of Tristram in D3, because they built a whole New Tristram.

There are no mentions of Deckard Cain or Tyrael or the Nephalem, but they do mention Zoltan Kulle (one of the bad Horadrim, and the Wolf mentions that many Horadrim strayed from the path, and it gave the impression that there weren’t any good ones left).
    We don’t hear anything about King Leoric/The Skeleton King (who, like the Butcher, has been around for all 3 Diablos) or Westmarch.

And my interactions with the Bear Tribe barbarians didn’t give me that they were yapping about Arreat like they always did in the previous installments.

While I do expect we will return to Tristram in this game (and meet another Skeleton King, or he will be around terrorizing us as the Butcher does in random dungeons), I don’t know if we will go to one of the big desert cities (Though well probably meet Duriel there).

Will Scosglen be the more Tristram-like environment of a classic Middle Age setting (instead on a snowed one like the Fractured Peaks)?
    I’m curious how it goes next, and if later seasons/expansions will expand the map with more regions.

They said it takes place about 30 years after D3: RoS events.

• TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    That would be a big fakeout for D4 to be a prequel, since they showed the crater where Arreat used to be on the big world map.

From the other (soon to be locked) thread:

@el_vicio
    "any idea when the pub beta preload starts?"

I believe the pre-load becomes available again on Wednesday at 9am Pacific time.

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    To clarify about the Necromancer part of that speculation, Rathma is one of, if not THE first Nephalem, the child of Lilith and Inarius. Most of the gods and god-king founder types in the history of Sanctuary are early Nephalem afaik.

Kamar on

You meet old man Lorath Nahr in the prologue? I assumed that was the same guy who we met in D3 Reaper of Souls who was refunding the Horadrim with Tyrael. I guess it could be a different guy with the same name who is an old Horadrim but that would be a weird choice to make.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular

When I bought Lord of Destruction retail box in a CompUSA, I remember a random guy asking me whether it was good and saying that he hadn't "finished" the base game yet. I had to double-take because me, someone who had gotten into the LoD beta, found it a very strange word to use with this sort of game.

Most ARPGs spreading their assets out into a 20-25 hour campaign, and basically reusing those through their endgame? They front-loaded the assets for that guy. That's a good chunk of the double-digit millions of D3 sales. That's how Diablo-likes have almost always been, to the point that if you stretch your assets over a longer, grindier campaign, you start falling into MMO territory.

I think Loki is just trying to get caught up on the story and experience the previous games before D4 comes out. I don't know that they have time to do a million Pindleskin runs or push through Greater Rift 120 and so on.

Oh i get that, and for D1 and D3 i'd say that's even the way to go.

D2 deserves a bit more imho.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
    Act 1 down.

Man, why didn't I give this a fair shake before. Giving the Butcher a face full of Unibeam was great. He always scared the shit out of me in the first game.

Seemed kinda short? I think it took about 5 hours. There's 4 acts, so is the story done in under 20 hours?
    That's probably about right. Act 4 is a little shorter than the others, though, since it's meant as more of a climax.

When the game launched, I'd say a first time clear took longer because the tuning, gear, etc. were way different. A normal difficulty casual play through is significantly more of a roller coaster ride now than it was in 2012.

edited March 2023
    Updated the items section, mainly because I finally found that maxroll had helpfully organized where legendary powers can appear by category and item type, but also to include the slots that amplify the aspects
    * Legendary powers are found/imprinted by category on the following slots:
    Defensive - Shield, Helm, Chest, Pants, Amulet
    Offensive - Amulet, Weapon, Gloves, Ring
    Resource - Helm, Amulet, Ring
    Utility - Shield, Helm, Chest, Amulet, Gloves, Ring
    Mobility - Amulet, Boot

* Aspects receive a 50% bonus on amulets and a 100% bonus on two-handed weapons

Noggin on
    Yeah I get that Diablo isn't necessarily known for its story and it's about the loot grind, but I do like experiencing the story. I'm also going to be listening to and watching the story stuff anyway, so if I'm jumping in at the 4th game, I at least want to play through the story of the previous games just to see what's what.

This discussion has been closed.