As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo] ... please move on to new thread ...

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    lots didn't need those hell rifts, terr-roar, etc

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    The internet says that D4 takes place 30 years after D3. I don't know where that came from, maybe they've changed it since then. It doesn't really matter much:
    D3: RoS opens the door for bringing back all the Evils if they want to. The only really big thing is whether the Worldstone exists or not.

I just figured they wanted a clean thematic break from D3 and are treating it like a soft reboot. No need to acknowledge any of the silliness.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Was not aware that aspects get an 100% bonus on 2-handed weapons. Was that in the game somewhere?

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Was not aware that aspects get an 100% bonus on 2-handed weapons. Was that in the game somewhere?

I think the tooltip says it on aspects you have extracted

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I enjoyed Sorc the most the the rogue I made was filthy.

I got this Legendary bow that modified piercing shot.

When you shot the Piercing shot and it hit an enemy, two more Piercing arrows would spawn out of the contact point and one went left the other right.

If my piercing shot hit 5 people it would then spawn 10 more arrows.

I think got this second legendary that cast Rain of Arrows for some sustained aoe. It was a chance to cast on the target hit by an ability.

I could cast a single piercing shot and clear the entire room with ease.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Is there a /played command like in WoW, anyone know?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Good luck to anyone who tries to play D4 on hardcore.

I've always never done hardcore because of those lightening enhanced fuckers, if nothing else.

For anyone playing the beta: are the combos for kill streaks and items destroyed still in the game? Really liked the combo of those two systems in Diablo 3!

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    The internet says that D4 takes place 30 years after D3. I don't know where that came from, maybe they've changed it since then. It doesn't really matter much:
    D3: RoS opens the door for bringing back all the Evils if they want to. The only really big thing is whether the Worldstone exists or not.

I just figured they wanted a clean thematic break from D3 and are treating it like a soft reboot. No need to acknowledge any of the silliness.

IIRC D4 is already predicated on RoS ending?
    Sanctuary is so fucked up now because half of humanity was wiped out by Malthael's black soulstone shenanigans. That and Angels abandoning humans (probably related to Tyreal's disappearance) is what makes the "Dark Age" that people are just barely rebuilding from.

Duriel is also confirmed to return, so that says something about the status of the Primes.

I can't see them undoing the fact that the worldstone was destroyed, that's a hard reboot. Although maybe there's some other bullshit reason all humans haven't turned into godlike Nephalim yet. But the whole battle between Lilith and Inarius before? the sin war was Lilith trying to power up humans and Inarius trying to exterminate them. With them squaring off again that's bound to come up in some manner.

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    There’s some spoilers out there already. Apparently some of the bosses were left in the list of challenges, and also someone was able to datamine a lot of details about the paragon board and items.

So be careful if you’re concerned about seeing any of that

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    I would love to know the "how" on the paragon board. I've seen some of their blog posts and it looks like
    lots of little nodes that give negligible bonuses like +1 int or str, a few bigger nodes that do better stuff, some that you can socket "something" into? and one legendary that has a similar effect to the legendary effects on items. And there are also multiple boards that somehow link together but no idea how you get boards or how you link them.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    It seems like everyone starts on a basic board without anything fancy and when you reach the edge of it you can pick one of the other boards to connect to it, changing the orientation of that board so you start on the side you want. From there once you reach the edge of the board again you can connect another board in similar fashion, and keep going until you've spent all 200 paragon levels you obtain by max character level.

The empty spaces you can socket some kind of paragon gem that is a world drop that transforms and enhances the spaces around it.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Had Uber Diablo spawn in a D2R game last night and I just *could not* kill him

Burned through literally a million gold between death costs, repairs, pots, and merc resses, but once I got him down to like 25% his health regen was outpacing the damage from Crushing Blow and my health and resistances meant there were entirely too many instances of me dying in two swipes. (I was in the middle of farming Countess to get a Lum for Smoke, having just gotten to Act I Hell a bit ago and playing SSF.) I tried weapon-juggling to get Open Wounds applied to prevent the Regen, but it was way too finicky and my backup gear hurt my health and resistances even further.

Only time I've ever seen him pop. Very frustrating two hours.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »
    Had Uber Diablo spawn in a D2R game last night and I just *could not* kill him

Burned through literally a million gold between death costs, repairs, pots, and merc resses, but once I got him down to like 25% his health regen was outpacing the damage from Crushing Blow and my health and resistances meant there were entirely too many instances of me dying in two swipes. (I was in the middle of farming Countess to get a Lum for Smoke, having just gotten to Act I Hell a bit ago and playing SSF.) I tried weapon-juggling to get Open Wounds applied to prevent the Regen, but it was way too finicky and my backup gear hurt my health and resistances even further.

Only time I've ever seen him pop. Very frustrating two hours.

Sorry for that, it can be frustrating. If you run into him again, shop a weapon with "prevents monster heal" on it. Hitting one time with that weapon (has to be an attack, not a random spell while the weapon is equipped) will apply it, and it lasts like 5 minutes or more.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Yeah I mean the honest answer is a Level 73 with mediocre-to-bad gear fresh into Hell difficulty probably *shouldn't* be able to kill Ubers, just got tantalizingly close

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I could see playing Diablo 1 and 2 for the story.

Diablo 3's story sucked ass.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I was feeling the want to play yesterday and today and was trying to figure out what is different between 4 and 3 for me. In general I think it's just the time between ARPGs. I really enjoyed Wolcen for a couple acts but got tired of the buggy-ness and PoE always seemed too complex for me to dig into, like I missed the boat on it. D4 seems like it will be a polished simpler experience, but I hope they do fix some of the dungeon design and class balance before launch. We really don't need full scale dungeons having a locked door that says kill all 400 monsters in the dungeon before proceeding, like 95% should be enough. I also don't like channeling on mission objectives like picking things up, and placing them or pulling levers. Especially if there are traps near them so you have to time it to pull a lever, that shit is annoying.

Excited to try Necro or Druid on Friday.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    I could see playing Diablo 1 and 2 for the story.

Diablo 3's story sucked ass.

Yeah Diablo 2's story is fun and well told. Nothing extravagant but nothing super corny -- it has a great tone, a fun way of telling the story with you following in Diablo/Mariuis's footsteps, no chosen one garbage, and the cutscenes are great.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Woo, pre-installing the beta! That's like...86 gigs? I...I fear to see how big the full game will be

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    "Playing for the story" is kind of a misnomer for the sort of people who just casually play through an ARPG once or twice, try out some different classes, and don't at all commit to the end game grindfest. It's also about getting to see all the art, environments, boss encounters, etc., and just having that general gameplay experience of powering up a character and obtaining/using new abilities and gear.

Even though Diablo 3's story is poo poo, the campaign is still a pretty fun first time experience just to go through the theme park ride.

forty on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

30 years sounds about right for a time skip, Lorath aged from fresh-faced kid to world-weary old man pretty directly here.

Sanctuary is so fucked up now because half of humanity was wiped out by Malthael's black soulstone shenanigans. That and Angels abandoning humans (probably related to Tyreal's disappearance) is what makes the "Dark Age" that people are just barely rebuilding from.

Duriel is also confirmed to return, so that says something about the status of the Primes.

I can't see them undoing the fact that the worldstone was destroyed, that's a hard reboot. Although maybe there's some other bullshit reason all humans haven't turned into godlike Nephalim yet. But the whole battle between Lilith and Inarius before? the sin war was Lilith trying to power up humans and Inarius trying to exterminate them. With them squaring off again that's bound to come up in some manner.
    The Angels abandoning humanity is a shockingly stupid idea on the part of the Angels considering how capable sanctuary is at tipping the balance of the war, but "shockingly stupid" seems to fit their general behavior anyway so it also doesn't surprise me.

Duriel we killed but never put into a soulstone so he was always lined up to come back in some way, but it wouldn't be a Diablo game if they didn't contrive a way for the others to come back anyway. Especially with how often everyone is so distressingly incompetent/unconcerned with keeping the Evils imprisoned whenever we managed to lock them up again.

• Options
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Woo, pre-installing the beta! That's like...86 gigs? I...I fear to see how big the full game will be
    I believe the full game is supposed to be about the same size, maybe a little bigger. Presumably the beta essentially contains all the assets, just with the artificial stoppers to keep you reigned into act 1.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I felt that D3’s story was serviceable, the demon lords probably could have used some better writing and the one twist (you know the one) just served to piss people off

• Options
    There are actually some decent story bits squirreled away in some of the D3 side content, like some of the stuff with the followers.

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular

So at install you can modify it to avoid installing the high res textures, which cuts the size almost in half I think. Some people on Reddit were saying it might not be useful to you depending on your GPU and monitor types.

I did it anyway but might uninstall/reinstall without it to see if I notice a difference

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    Noggin wrote: »

So at install you can modify it to avoid installing the high res textures, which cuts the size almost in half I think. Some people on Reddit were saying it might not be useful to you depending on your GPU and monitor types.

I did it anyway but might uninstall/reinstall without it to see if I notice a difference

Yeah I figured I'd take em and see how it runs, rather than trying to dl the assets during the beta weekend.

forty wrote: »
    I believe the full game is supposed to be about the same size, maybe a little bigger. Presumably the beta essentially contains all the assets, just with the artificial stoppers to keep you reigned into act 1.

Ah okay, that makes sense

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    I opted out of the high res textures, and yeah, it was less than half the size (around 41 GB).
    I'll get them for the actual release, but for beta I didn't care so much.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I've had the D2 remaster forever at this point, fired it up a couple of times but keep getting annoyed at inventory and especially potion management

Really should just look up some uber-broken build to carry me through the game since I'm mainly interested in re-experiencing the story and indulging my nostalgia

• Options
    I've had the D2 remaster forever at this point, fired it up a couple of times but keep getting annoyed at inventory and especially potion management

Really should just look up some uber-broken build to carry me through the game since I'm mainly interested in re-experiencing the story and indulging my nostalgia

Yeah it sucks that you can't at least mod the offline inventory. I'm so used to having infinite stash that way, and I just like to collect legendaries in that game :S

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I might pick up D2:R and run through it for the first time soon, when I lose interest in my current set of time wasters (Last Epoch and Lost Ark), unless I decide to move on from ARPGs and do a run of a Soulslike or something. Which I guess are still ARPGs, just not, like, ARPGs. Well, I guess Nioh is like a camera angle change away from being one.

I'm definitely a 'I just want to see different builds come to fruition, testing them against content' player, but in the 'I will play like 50 characters through the campaign and barely touch endgame' way instead of the 'play it once just to see it' way.

I struggle to get into and enjoy ARPG endgame loops, which is unfortunate since that's often where the real interesting stuff happens buildwise and encounter-wise.

• Options
    edited March 2023

Skele/fishymancer is probably the easiest build if you're not trying to skip content (it's not the fastest if you just want to get to endgame as fast as possible) and playing solo.

Max skeletons, max skeleton mastery, put 1 point in all of your curses, 1 point in corpse explosion, then max corpse explosion and/or summon resist. It works from level 1, any gear you get is just a bonus, and those skeletons are tanks. You barely even need potions if you hate that part -- skeles take damage instead of you, and you only need mana to sprinkle in curses and corpse explosions and occasionally replace a skeleton.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fishymancer is and always will be the one true build for me

but I always loved necro, so. (guess which class in D4 I'm eyeing)

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

30 years sounds about right for a time skip, Lorath aged from fresh-faced kid to world-weary old man pretty directly here.

The Angels abandoning humanity is a shockingly stupid idea on the part of the Angels considering how capable sanctuary is at tipping the balance of the war, but "shockingly stupid" seems to fit their general behavior anyway so it also doesn't surprise me.

Duriel we killed but never put into a soulstone so he was always lined up to come back in some way, but it wouldn't be a Diablo game if they didn't contrive a way for the others to come back anyway. Especially with how often everyone is so distressingly incompetent/unconcerned with keeping the Evils imprisoned whenever we managed to lock them up again.

*Pushes up glasses* Well, actually (D3 spoilers)
    Duriel was put into the Black Soulstone, along with all the other lesser and prime Evils. Then he was absorbed into Diablo as The Prime Evil, then beaten to death by the PCs and went back into the Black Soulstone, then Malthael stole it and used it to absorb the Demonic parts of the souls of most humans (killing them in the process), and then Malthael broke that soulstone apart between phases of being beaten to death by the same PCs. (I don't actually remember that last bit, I had to look it up.)

So Duriel and the rest are free again, probably. But they were in a soulstone. For quite a while, actually.

• Options

Yeah it sucks that you can't at least mod the offline inventory. I'm so used to having infinite stash that way, and I just like to collect legendaries in that game :S

Just for clarity for others, there are offline mods on nexus to enlarge inventory and stash, but it just gives you a single bigger grid. You aren't going to get infinite stash pages like PlugY or something.

• Options

Just for clarity for others, there are offline mods on nexus to enlarge inventory and stash, but it just gives you a single bigger grid. You aren't going to get infinite stash pages like PlugY or something.

That's something at least!
    Tarantio wrote: »

Duriel was put into the Black Soulstone, along with all the other lesser and prime Evils. Then he was absorbed into Diablo as The Prime Evil, then beaten to death by the PCs and went back into the Black Soulstone, then Malthael stole it and used it to absorb the Demonic parts of the souls of most humans (killing them in the process), and then Malthael broke that soulstone apart between phases of being beaten to death by the same PCs. (I don't actually remember that last bit, I had to look it up.)

So Duriel and the rest are free again, probably. But they were in a soulstone. For quite a while, actually.

Man, D3 lore is stupid

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Out of curiosity, where does it say that?

• Options
    I remember a dialogue after the final boss of RoS explicitly saying that they were set loose again, I'll see if I can find the quote. Might have been from adventure mode, since that takes place after.

• Options

That's something at least!

Man, D3 lore is stupid

It is the most hilariously stupid and bad anime I've seen contained in a Western game in a long time.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Out of curiosity, where does it say that?

Looks like the details are in although I could've sworn it was mentioned briefly somewhere in game.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Okay from Adria and other sources we have it that Diablo would be set loose if we won the final battle, still containing the others' powers.

There's also a D3 season that said that part of their powers and essence were contained in the shattered shards of the Black Soulstone and all over the place for people to stumble over.

D4 lore is that they eventually split back apart for whatever reason.

Kamar on
  • Options
    I wonder if they should have just called this DIABLO, or The Diablo, to wipe the loreslate clean
    I guess we'll see what they do with it

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

This discussion has been closed.