As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Turn Notice

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin

Turn Notice!

Penny Arcade - Comic - Turn Notice

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

• Options
    OverkillengineOverkillengine Registered User regular
    The face of a man speaking from experience.

• Options
    Johnny17Johnny17 Registered User regular
    Depends how you define "losing".

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I remember this being a huge issue in GTA online, which was the only online racing I have ever done. Makes sense it would extend to pretty much all of them though.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    I didn't watch the iRacing stream Gabe was in. Is this a reference to what happened?

• Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    You absolutely can win on turn 1. Just don't be involved in the inevitable pile-up and be well ahead of/drive past the carnage. Unless it's Wreckfest, in which case "multi-wheeled bowling ball that is actually a bus" is the correct choice.

PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    That was always my experience when I'd play forza. I could never get out in front, but god damn if I tried to I'd get absolutely fucked on that turn

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ArmsForPeace84ArmsForPeace84 Your Partner In Freedom Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Depends on the game. Some newer titles yield to the preference of many casual racing game enthusiasts to hold the lead comfortably throughout a race. With the other cars not contesting the lead once the player is up front, even after a dirty move at the first turn. That can be hard to un-see once you notice it happening.

There's a mod I'm looking to try out for NFS: Shift, still my favorite racing game on PC for its incredible driver's seat view and immersion, next time I set aside an evening for it. This purports to fix some of the chaos on Turn 1 by actually putting AI cars in qualifying order, with the fastest drivers who will be your only real competition up front where they belong instead of trying to pass other cars in that corner.

ArmsForPeace84 on
    Nothing personal. It's just business.
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Bremen wrote: »
    I didn't watch the iRacing stream Gabe was in. Is this a reference to what happened?

It's a reference to most online racing, specially in simulators; where people will push as hard as possible into turn 1, with no regard to tyre temps, track condition or their fellow drivers, which almost always ends up in a huge pileup in rookie races. "Monza T1" is a popular meme in racing communities because of this.