As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Legend of Zelda] Korok Torture Simulator is out!

MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice ActorKirkland, WARegistered User regular
edited May 2023 in Games and Technology
qh4g3wlsrfqk.png

This is the Legend of Zelda thread. Feel free to discuss any game in the series, although let's try to keep any spoilers from TotK hidden away please!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page
Sterica on

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Thread title isn't true until the cartridge is in my hands.

Now I'm gonna go to sleep for a couple months.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    c8dw28lg0s3b.png

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Should I start the argument of durability of physical cartridge versus digital only?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I’ve never heard ToTK said aloud.

It would be hilarious if it was pronouned “tares” and not “tiers”

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    I’ve never heard ToTK said aloud.

It would be hilarious if it was pronouned “tares” and not “tiers”

I've heard the Japanese title backs up "tiers".

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    had zelda 2 when i was a wee lad and boy that final bird and then shadow boss were just hard enough for little me that i never finished the game. went back much later in life and tried to figure out why i struggled so much. probably didn't use the right spells.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I've never finished Zelda 2. I think I remember getting the hammer or something and breaking the boulder and that's pretty much it. The next area always uses up all of my lives.

• Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    Oh yeah it's legit hard. Death Mountain in Zelda 2 takes a lot of practice and lives to get through.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Should I start the argument of durability of physical cartridge versus digital only?

If you throw a cartridge right before it breaks you deal extra damage.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Zelda 2 has such stone age design; it’s practically an arcade game in the sense it’s hard because your character isn’t manoeuvrable enough, progress is gated by your level of psychic ability and has this general lack of balance (easier enemies give more experience than tougher ones / some don’t give it at all) I think it must have been programmed and shipped without being play-tested. I get this sense everyone involved knew how to make a game, but perhaps youthful confidence had them make it ‘in one go’, or as close as game design can be done without checking it.

There’s been a handful of good… things we don’t talk about here… fans have done to alleviate some issues as best they can, but I think at its core it’s just not that fun when compared to its successors. I need dashes and wall jumps etc in my 2D swordsman games.

It’s neat as a historic artefact though. I bet you could draw a line from Zelda 2’s combat ideas into any game with a down-stab-bounce, Nidhogg’s high-medium-low swordplay and maybe even Dark Souls 1’s methodical dodge-block-attack combat.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    dipuc4lifedipuc4life ... In my own HeadRegistered User regular
    Let's see which argument gets rehashed first ... SlipGate, DungeonGate or BreakGate. My money is on BreakGate ... such a classic.

NNID: SW-6490-6173-9136
    Playstation: Dipuc4Life
    Warframe_Switch IGN: ONVEBAL
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I am so happy this is the game coming out before FF16 and with the perfect sized gap.

Regardless of any of my misgivings on BotW I am so looking forward to having a good month and a half to just really get lost in this new world without any feelings of trying to rush to finish for another game.

Just so many many cool things they can add to the world that they’ve teased that should make exploration just fantastic.

• Options
    LJDouglasLJDouglas Registered User regular
    dipuc4life wrote: »
    Let's see which argument gets rehashed first ... SlipGate, DungeonGate or BreakGate. My money is on BreakGate ... such a classic.

It is impressively durable.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    The new rule of the Zelda thread is whenever an argument starts I’m going to post fanart. The more heated the debate the worse it will become, but I’ll start with good stuff, like this:

nwk8mghcrg77.jpeg
    By Matt Cummings I believe, @EiffelArt professionally.

Pray you do not force me to plumb the depths of Zelda fanart.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Oh dang this is an accidental post.

How about them tears? Are they moon tears? Tears in space-time? The rain in Faron? Discuss.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    3gt2awhao6q5.jpg

This should have been a BotW dlc pack. Maybe it'll show up in TotK!

Anyhow, durability isn't a problem if you play with amiibo, you just get to refill your bag with new stuff every day. AND you get to play with a dog.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    The new rule of the Zelda thread is whenever an argument starts I’m going to post fanart. The more heated the debate the worse it will become, but I’ll start with good stuff, like this:

nwk8mghcrg77.jpeg
    By Matt Cummings I believe, EiffelArt professionally.

I'm going to argue with your fanart. I dare someone to convince me that I'm wrong!

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »

nwk8mghcrg77.jpeg
    By Matt Cummings I believe, EiffelArt professionally.

I'm going to argue with your fanart. I dare someone to convince me that I'm wrong!

1kaqnau2180e.jpeg

• Options
    Ok you win the argument. That is some awesome fan art!

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    So Link has the Triforce of SSX (shield-surfing), and according to that fan art, Zelda has the Triforce of Tony Hawk. So that means Ganon has the Triforce of ...
    a0oa7ox0pnbt.jpg

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    3gt2awhao6q5.jpg

This should have been a BotW dlc pack. Maybe it'll show up in TotK!

Anyhow, durability isn't a problem if you play with amiibo, you just get to refill your bag with new stuff every day. AND you get to play with a dog.

I just want you to know how mad i am that's not an actual DLC because holy fuck that's some great art.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options

This is awesome.

I can't decide if I want to watch it or not.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

This is awesome.

If we assume that TotK is an 80-hour game, and ignore that gameplay concepts are frequently experienced repeatedly, 10 minutes of gameplay is about 0.2% of the TotK experience.

This has been today's Pointless Mathematical Interlude.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »

This is awesome.

If we assume that TotK is an 80-hour game, and ignore that gameplay concepts are frequently experienced repeatedly, 10 minutes of gameplay is about 0.2% of the TotK experience.

This has been today's Pointless Mathematical Interlude.

The real question is what percent of any% that is. It amuses me greatly how much can be skipped in BotW.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Still not watching it. Not going to rob myself of the joy of first hand discovery.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Still not watching it. Not going to rob myself of the joy of first hand discovery.

I've been debating but I'll probably watch. My kinda general rule of thumb on this stuff is if it's being released as official marketing it's probably cool for me to see without too many spoilers (not that Nintendo always adheres to this). In the case of this game we've seen basically nothing so I'm ok with it I think. (also this says it's gameplay which makes me think it might be something like that original Game Awards demo they did for the original BotW... if this was a Direct it'd probably be way more spoilery)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    This is the kinda game I will totally watch for. A more narrative driven game I avoid stuff because they love to show story spoilers.

But, for me, the narrative here isn’t a big factor so I’m down to see some stuff. And it make confirm some exciting things that I can use to set my expectations appropriately.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I'm still weirdly unhyped for TOTK, despite having my pre-order paid off. I'm hoping some real gameplay footage fixes that.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    This is the kinda game I will totally watch for. A more narrative driven game I avoid stuff because they love to show story spoilers.

But, for me, the narrative here isn’t a big factor so I’m down to see some stuff. And it make confirm some exciting things that I can use to set my expectations appropriately.

True. I think for me it's also seeing "cool" stuff as well though. Like, one thing that pissed me off with BotW coverage was before the game was even out, Kotaku and others putting up all kinds of thumbnails showing off boomerangs and the Hylian shield and other shit and it's like... I really would have liked to discover that on my own as it wasn't something Nintendo officially showed off. So like, in this case in a non-story sense, I think if there are any really cool dungeons or new areas or something, I'd want to be surprised by those.

But I have a good feeling they won't spoil too much here. I'm kinda guessing Aonuma might go over the stuff the hand can do since they haven't really talked about that at all yet, just shown a couple things in trailers. Like I said, I'm kinda expecting something similar to the some of the Game Awards demoes where maybe they move around a specific area of the world and show off a couple cool things that are unique to the game. They could even possibly limit this to Hyrule (as opposed to "sky land" :P) so the areas are less spoilery too, outside of any changes to the land since BotW. Or they honestly might just show off a dungeon since that would be a good "see the game is different" thing from BotW :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I feel like I've already seen too much, so I'll hold off on this. BotW is such a special game for me, so the prospect of Nintendo doing it again makes me want to experience as much of it as I can for the first time as I'm playing it.

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    I am entirely immune to spoilers, so yeah, gimme all the deets.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    The new rule of the Zelda thread is whenever an argument starts I’m going to post fanart. The more heated the debate the worse it will become.
    This is a really effective threat, because all Zelda fanart converges on Tingle. It starts with dope stuff like Zelda doing a skateboard trick over Calamity Ganon, and ends with Princess Tingle doing a skatetingle trick over Calamity Tingle, and...

...actually, wait, I do want to see that.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I am entirely immune to spoilers, so yeah, gimme all the deets.
    Yo I got the scoop.

In this one, Link is a rutabaga.

• Options
    dipuc4lifedipuc4life ... In my own HeadRegistered User regular
    Do NOT tempt me ... I will start an argument JUST to see more awesome fanart. Hell, I'll take some crappy fanart.

Oh, and for some reason tomorrow I'll have to take a smoke break (and I don't even smoke) at work around 10 AM Eastern time. Oh and I'm taking my phone with me for no good reason ... the WiFi works outside right ... never mind I've got data.

NNID: SW-6490-6173-9136
    Playstation: Dipuc4Life
    Warframe_Switch IGN: ONVEBAL
  • Options
    delphdelph DelawareRegistered User regular
    A 10 minute smoke break, right?

• Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    delph wrote: »
    A 10 minute smoke break, right?

Well I'm working from home today soooooo.......

Yeah

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    Trying to decide if I watch it on my phone at my desk or wait til lunch break to watch it on my TV at home.

Option 2 is the better watching situation. But if I wait I know I’m going to see a bunch of headlines talking about what was shown even if I don’t seek out that info.

Hmmm.

• Options
    Both.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Soooo, weapons still break. But looks like there's an absolutely amazing new option to work around that...

Switch: 3947-4890-9293