As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

There's Treasure Everywhere! [Outdoors Thread]

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Okay, now it’s your job to carry on the thread. You must defeat my posts with picturesque locales from around the world, or else Britain wins.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I've been homebound recovering from the covid

but soon I'll be back out there!

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    An unthinkable outcome.

BahamutZERO.gif
    Wow what is the story behind that? Did it get built on land that subsided into the ocean?

In truth, that photo isn’t by me (the wave ones are). I believe it is Seaside Heights, New Jersey, 2012, a small tourist attraction with a few arcades and a teacup right. The rollercoaster was built on a pier, which slowly sunk into the seabed because engineering is a cruel mistress to those who don’t carry their 1s.

• DessertedDesserted Dessert desertRegistered User regular
    I suppose I'll give this a shot then. Here are a couple from a few weeks ago while I was playing around in the Eastern Sierras.

Camping out in the high desert enjoying the last bit of a thunderstorm that had rolled through a couple hours earlier.
    m815g5ef7mko.jpg

It was very hot where I camped so I had to go higher. This was a pretty amazing trail at a bit over 10,000 feet and it blew my mind to see so many wildflowers (not pictured) in bloom in late July.
    pdw8818bzrn6.jpg

And then on a climbing trip a bit before this I was lucky enough to have stumbled across a wild Hot Wheels in its natural habitat.
    s3xsuiy7bnb4.jpg

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I went out with my kids to pick wild blueberries
    6es0dcisjhst.jpg

We got a rare treat when we spotted a snapping turtle
    moeo1bh2my09.jpg

...and the box turtle that went along for a ride
    aba84m1illu9.jpg

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    An unthinkable outcome.

oh nooo this was in response to Serpents, not you Xaquin, I hope you get better quickly :(

BahamutZERO.gif
    god me too

this blows

Hello neglected Outdoors Thread! I've been making more of an effort to get out and do things outdoors again since our smoky air has cleared.

Yesterday I went out to wrestle some rocks and it was quite nice! It was much warmer than anticipated, the air was clear, and there wasn't another soul around. The picture isn't too amazing, but the sky was too blue to not take at least a shot while I was up there.

wasvzol411rd.jpg

I've also started doing a little kayaking, so earlier today I went out to the "nearby" lake and paddled around a little bit. The water levels are very low and as a result you can see the trees that were growing in the town that is now at the bottom of the lake. The lake was much less choppy than the last time I was out there, which also made for some nice reflections on the water.

ahu7u8avttty.jpg

Hopefully more adventures to come soon!

I went on a metal detecting adventure today and my sister snapped this picture =)

c521k1vbyf1l.jpg

Beautiful woodlands!

Were you able to detect any metal?

Desserted wrote: »
    Beautiful woodlands!

Were you able to detect any metal?

yes!

we found one civil war bullet in the first 3 seconds by accident (I was showing a friend how to use the metal detector) and nothing the rest of the time. Just a 30-30 bullet (unfired) and an old square nail.

but I made a LOT of wraps so a good time was had by all!

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Oh I found it, the Outdoors thread!

I want to get back into hunting this fall. I need to start putting my kit together and getting out practicing.

I may try for Turkey since I think that proceeds whitetail season here and that might be a good way to get my feet wet.

The difficult part is finding somewhere to actually hunt.

Edit: never mind turkey season ended March 31st lol

Juggernut on
    I've been wanting to go goose hunting but I'm soooo lazy

• KadithKadith Registered User regular
    I can't go outside because half the state is on fire

zkHcp.jpg
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I've been wanting to go goose hunting but I'm soooo lazy

Motherfucker, I cannot turn around without you posting some exotic fungus you foraged on a woods adventure. And no mushroom has ever shat on my car so bad that I was late for work, get out there and end a goose.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Got a camping permit for a site in the Plumas National Forest in June. Haven't been camping in years, and not in the Sierras since I was a teenager, very much looking forward to it.

aTBDrQE.jpg
    I need to figure out what all I have to get. I don't want to get into hella money but I definitely need

1: a new scope
    2: Hunting/Hiking boots
    3. Good camo outerwear
    4. Merino wool or polyblend under clothes
    5. Thick ass wool socks

The scope and the boots will probably be the most money and probably the two big things you don't want to skimp on. I know Leupold and Trijicon are the big name in optics so I'm gonna try and find a 3-9x or maybe 4-12x for under $300.

Ooh I also need a new knife. I mean, I don't. But I do.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I need to figure out what all I have to get. I don't want to get into hella money but I definitely need

1: a new scope
    2: Hunting/Hiking boots
    3. Good camo outerwear
    4. Merino wool or polyblend under clothes
    5. Thick ass wool socks

The scope and the boots will probably be the most money and probably the two big things you don't want to skimp on. I know Leupold and Trijicon are the big name in optics so I'm gonna try and find a 3-9x or maybe 4-12x for under $300.

Ooh I also need a new knife. I mean, I don't. But I do.

Some great knife reviews! The Most expensive isn't necessarily the best! Project Farm does some pretty good equipment reviews.

https://youtu.be/wVQ3raLq4LQ

https://youtu.be/pVltFOiP3mo

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Outdoors outdoors outdoors

Outdoors outdoors outdoors

*bangs on a rock*

I haven’t taken photos for ages but I’ll see if I can find time today.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I'm out whitewater rafting today in Colorado. One of my favorite past times. Water level is decent thanks to a big ol drop of snow a weekend ago despite the dryness of everything else right now.

Also need to get back into hunting like Juggs. My friend has land in the hill country that we've used before, and one of my professors took me on a trip with another colleague where I learned he likes to hunt wild boar with a knife.

Who is this?

cw9zdcq6p6j9.jpeg

Look at that fancy man

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    it looks like a pecan

Depressperado on
    Went out hiking today to see if there was running water in a spot I want to camp at soon and came across quite a few of these. They're pretty neat!

owzuqov4tcl4.jpg

I think they're some type of parasitic plant that grows off roots of trees and other plants, but I may be mistaken.

hopefully the replacement process won't be too painful!

I feel an overwhelming desire to put that in my mouth.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Okay, I know I'm fat but like, come on, I didn't cause the water level to go up that much (red arrow is literally around when we put in)

u5a7to5e0bbq.png

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Desserted wrote: »
    Went out hiking today to see if there was running water in a spot I want to camp at soon and came across quite a few of these. They're pretty neat!

owzuqov4tcl4.jpg

I think they're some type of parasitic plant that grows off roots of trees and other plants, but I may be mistaken.

That's exactly what they are!
    Sarcodes is the monotypic genus of a north-west American flowering springtime plant in the heath family, containing the single species Sarcodes sanguinea, commonly called the snow plant or snow flower. It is a parasitic plant that derives sustenance and nutrients from mycorrhizal fungi that attach to tree roots
    And I only know this because I saw some while hiking myself this weekend and got curious

k5pca55428tr.jpg

edited June 2022
    Went out to the low tide sand flats on Cape Cod with my kids the other night:

isj17973q6ti.jpg
    nru5skjlzbfx.jpg
    3lj3soble5ya.jpg

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I love the Cape.

Enjoyed the same hike with my youngest that we last did March 2020. Hasn't changed much but less anxiety, of course.

29txcymlycbr.jpg

urduyag4iq19.jpg

xox6xapxzjnc.jpg

rjnlxickd4kk.jpg

Turkey season is coming up next month and I need to see if I can get all my requisite gear, fix a shotgun, complete my hunter's safety course for my license and find some Wilderness Management areas to hunt since I don't know anybody with private land.

I want to get back outside so bad.

Hm. I wonder what wild turkey tastes like.

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Hm. I wonder what wild turkey tastes like.

It's got some burn to it, but other than that has a pleasant taste. Especially for the proof.

Magell on
    Hey

Can I just like, go outside and pan for gold?

I don't know why but I was suddenly hit with the idea that gold panning would be fun as shit.

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    The short answer is it depends. Land owned by a state or by the US Federal government generally allows recreational gold panning. Private land owners may allow it too, if they give or sell permission. There are private gold mines that will allow you a day pass to pan for a small fee.

Hmmm, the spirit of my ancestors demands I pan the gold illegally and then scamper up into the hills with a single gold nugget where I will prance and caper and drink moonshine until I black out and tumble off a cliff to my death, where upon a pious young person deep in righteous fasting and prayer will find my broken corpse and be rewarded with the gold.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Oh, them thar hills? No, no gold. Sorry, I thought you were talking about some other hills.

GDdCWMm.jpg