As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Twitter] is proof that shitposting is praxis

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    To me this reads like a few republicans also managed to trace trump getting elected to gamergate and are trying to artificially manufacture a future red wave through gamer rage

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    To me this reads like a few republicans also managed to trace trump getting elected to gamergate and are trying to artificially manufacture a future red wave through gamer rage

Only 4 of the 11 are Republicans. The majority of the complaints are coming from Washington state Democrats.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited March 2023

Only 4 of the 11 are Republicans. The majority of the complaints are coming from Washington state Democrats.

Yeah; it’s good old fashioned corporate capture so an already colossal corporation can make itself even more obscenely huge, rather than being broken into its constituent parts like Ma Bell (not that that’s on the table, but you know what I’m getting at regarding the way things should be]

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I mean I can't deny that MS did face a healthy amount of social xenophobia/"my country's media is the best" in Japan, in exactly the same way you get in the US and other Western countries. But they certainly didn't help themselves when they treated the market as an afterthought and basically never made a single serious push to capture a userbase there at a single point in their console history beyond isolated attempts at leveraging Japanese gamer nostalgia.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    I hate the stupidest timeline

NEW: At least 11 members of Congress have pressed the Biden administration to take action over Sony's alleged interference with Microsoft's Xbox efforts in Japan

I obtained two letters sent by House reps. The Republican one's a bit spicier

https://www.axios.com/2023/03/27/congress-xbox-playstation-japan

i come back from gaming tonight and catch up on news to see that america has started a trade war over the criminal conspiracy that no one in japan bought a 360 even though it had lost odyssey on it

this is so fucking funny dude my god. i don't care if the deal goes through or doesn't but you guys gotta wrap it up in a month this shit isn't sustainable. you started going uh we'll put call of duty on switch and now your lobbyists summoned bipartisan council of neogaf posters

EDIT:
    What’s next: In their letters, House members ask that the Sony issue be raised with the Japanese government and identify “additional barriers” to American companies in accessing the Japanese gaming market.

The additional fuckin barriers is Xboxes have sold like shit in Japan since the original

I know that MS wants call of booty and the phone games from Activision to finally get into Japan as the deals they offered to Nintendo and Sony helped to show this

I am still far more curious if MS gets Activision what happens to Blizzard

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Almost everything about the Original Xbox was dumb and it only survived long enough to spawn a followup console due to Microsoft having deep enough pockets to absorb the massive loss.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Hey so I see nobody is talking about this and I also don't want to be talking about this but I just got sideswiped with this information and don't want any other trans people to get the same. The latest in the endless mass-shooter problem had a trans shooter. Despite that this is a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of cis mass shooters the usual suspects are doing exactly what you'd expect from them. It might be a good time to take a social media break. I'm extremely happy I finally bit the bullet on uninstalling twitter last week. I'm sure I'd be spiraling right now.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    On the one hand Microsoft's insidious consolidation is worrying.

...on the other hand Activision and Blizzard in particular seems to be run by a cabal of demons with a sexual harassment based hierarchy. The worst people in the industry apparently all coalesced into one union busting management class wad except for the ones who speak French and thus had to form Ubisoft. So it really feels like any change in ownership can only be an improvement. Monopoly or not we should get these studios some leadership who don't need to be imprisoned at some black site at the bottom of the sea.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Hey so I see nobody is talking about this and I also don't want to be talking about this but I just got sideswiped with this information and don't want any other trans people to get the same. The latest in the endless mass-shooter problem had a trans shooter. Despite that this is a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of cis mass shooters the usual suspects are doing exactly what you'd expect from them. It might be a good time to take a social media break. I'm extremely happy I finally bit the bullet on uninstalling twitter last week. I'm sure I'd be spiraling right now.

Has this been confirmed, or is it a "shooter uses non-binary pronouns" story put out to muddy the waters?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options

Has this been confirmed, or is it a "shooter uses non-binary pronouns" story put out to muddy the waters?

Trans Masc, seems they’ve been using his deadname so there’s going to be confusion that the shooter was a trans woman.

Apparently left a manifesto behind about his motive, and police have said they have a “working theory” regarding the why, but have yet to release that information.

That said, it also has already been confirmed he attend the school during his own elementary years, so its likely it’s personal in some regard (or at least I would assume)

Right wing ghouls are already attempting to blame it on him being transgender, up to and including suggesting that testosterone made him homicidally violent.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    If testosterone made him do it, they'll be shocked what hormone is swirling round cis guys' systems

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Well no, they won't. They'll say it's different because it's natural for a cis man to have testosterone in his system, and not for a trans guy, and that putting testosterone into a female brain makes a person go crazy.

There is no argument or reason that will disprove their beliefs about us.

• Options
    Yeah, more fool me for expecting logical consistency from the shitbirds

• Options
    Spacetwinks with my… years-long “favorite” history lesson about Gingrich’s tenure as speaker and how it has fucked us all for decades:

reading up on the RESTRICT act and how it basically gives the feds rights to The Entirety Of The Internet and thinking on how the Office of Technology Assessment was dismantled in 1995 so all your ancient mummy ass senators have nobody to explain computers to them

it's one of the quieter bits from gingrich's rise in the 90s, but as we have many of the exact same democratic politicians now as we do then, the impact of the dismantling of the OTA now is even more stark after it got crushed 28 years ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_of_Technology_Assessment

like sure, corruption is rampant, but also, just imagine how few of the people in power know what any of the fucking shit they're looking at means in bills like the RESTRICT act

that the bill bans tiktok is probably about the extent of many of their knowledge of it, and that's if they even really know what tiktok is at all. reminders of SESTA-FOSTA - god only knows how many politicians actually knew what any of the shit in that bill was about/meant

all the laws about rapidly developing technology now in the 2020s are determined by people in their 70s and 80s and they sure as shit didn't understand computers in their 60s and 50s, and they have nobody to educate them on any of it. lmao

think it's notable that not only did the gingrich republicans shutter the OTA, democrats, even when in power, have shown zero interest in bringing it back
    hmm, starting to think there's not much functional difference between the two.

here's how i tend to view it

republicans are corrupt to enact permanent power for their stated horrific ideology

democrats are corrupt to have cushy jobs they don't have to do much work at

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »

Trans Masc, seems they’ve been using his deadname so there’s going to be confusion that the shooter was a trans woman.

Apparently left a manifesto behind about his motive, and police have said they have a “working theory” regarding the why, but have yet to release that information.

That said, it also has already been confirmed he attend the school during his own elementary years, so its likely it’s personal in some regard (or at least I would assume)

Right wing ghouls are already attempting to blame it on him being transgender, up to and including suggesting that testosterone made him homicidally violent.

It Could Happen Here is doing a breakdown of what they can find so far, and how the right wing disinfo machine is spinning up. It's been worth listening to, especially for the info coming from the police.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-covenant-school-shooting-and-the-right-wing-response/id1449762156?i=1000606219926

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    From what I can tell, the Microsoft thing is basically just another shot in the Sony/Microsoft "no, you're the monopoly!" war. Sony made arguments that Nintendo should not be considered part of the high-end console market when considering whether Xbox/Activision was acting as a monopoly by potentially restricting their access to Call of Duty or other franchises... but had the flipside of then making Sony by far the largest of the two "real" console makers in Japan.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    As a regular listener of Robert Evans' stuff (I have to take breaks from Behind the Bastards and It Could Happen Here for the sake of my own mental health though) I am always taken aback at how this dude has the look of a too-cool-for-you early Soviet philosopher but the voice of the biggest nerd imaginable.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    That twitter profile pic is the only pic of him that does that, he’s wearing a 20-year old war hammer t-shirt/rag in half of every other picture of him

• Options
    He did a live show wearing pajama pants that said "sexy" all over them.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

BREAKING: In a huge blow to the rule of law, the US Supreme Court today let stand Chevron's prosecution and 3-year detention of me after helping Indigenous peoples win the historic Amazon pollution case.

Gorsuch dissented: "Our Constitution does not tolerate what happened here."

Only Goursch and Kavanaugh dissented. Gee, if only there were three liberal Justices who could have taken a stand with them against this travesty of corporate interference and judicial overreach.
    Why, then there would have been a 5-4 majority.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Fucking hell

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    get me out of this fucking country

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

BREAKING: In a huge blow to the rule of law, the US Supreme Court today let stand Chevron's prosecution and 3-year detention of me after helping Indigenous peoples win the historic Amazon pollution case.

Gorsuch dissented: "Our Constitution does not tolerate what happened here."

Only Goursch and Kavanaugh dissented. Gee, if only there were three liberal Justices who could have taken a stand with them against this travesty of corporate interference and judicial overreach.
    Why, then there would have been a 5-4 majority.

"Yeah but that would mean we were implying that judges should have less power and fuuuuuuuck that."

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    edit, I didn't understand the post was sarcastic.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I don't think that having this form of Supreme Court was a great idea. It seems like it has a lot of drawbacks and for some reason being totally unaccountable and incredibly powerful hasn't made SCOTUS into a high-minded philosophy department dedicated to ferreting out the most effective form of governing.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    But then being unaccountable means they won't be swayed by partisan politics!*

*This assumes they aren't all death cultists

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    From Goursh's dissent:
    However much the district court may have thought Mr.Donziger warranted punishment, the prosecution in this case broke a basic constitutional promise essential to our liberty. In this country, judges have no more power to initiate a prosecution of those who come before them than prosecutors have to sit in judgment of those they charge.

You'd think that would be a simple concept to grasp, and yet.

• Options
    OdinOdin Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    From Goursh's dissent:
    However much the district court may have thought Mr.Donziger warranted punishment, the prosecution in this case broke a basic constitutional promise essential to our liberty. In this country, judges have no more power to initiate a prosecution of those who come before them than prosecutors have to sit in judgment of those they charge.

You'd think that would be a simple concept to grasp, and yet.

Okay, but what if corporations were also people and their rights mattered more because fuck you

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    pooka wrote: »
    Oh yeah, yesterday at an Asian minimall, I saw a custom plate on a Tesla (basically "Thank you Elon") and I don't think I've ever wanted to kick or vandalize someone else's vehicle more than that moment.

Don't do that to a Tesla - it's always filming its exterior.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    pooka wrote: »
    Oh yeah, yesterday at an Asian minimall, I saw a custom plate on a Tesla (basically "Thank you Elon") and I don't think I've ever wanted to kick or vandalize someone else's vehicle more than that moment.

Don't do that to a Tesla - it's always filming its exterior.
    Gonna be hard to identify me given I wear a mask while in public spaces....

e: And if I'm enraged enough to actually do something, getting caught isn't in the equation against action. If anything, I'd probably welcome attention.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Apropos of nothing, a thing you should not do before doing something that could get you sued and/or arrested is post on the internet about your motive/intent.

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    fistfight every car

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    From what I can tell, the Microsoft thing is basically just another shot in the Sony/Microsoft "no, you're the monopoly!" war. Sony made arguments that Nintendo should not be considered part of the high-end console market when considering whether Xbox/Activision was acting as a monopoly by potentially restricting their access to Call of Duty or other franchises... but had the flipside of then making Sony by far the largest of the two "real" console makers in Japan.

Its absolutely like home state reps representing the local business interest. But Sony has also been doing some dirty shit like paying to keep games off of gamepass, or off of gamepass in Japan like monster hunter rise.

Sony opened this door themselves by trying to play "exclusives for us is good, for you its bad" in courts.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Madican wrote: »

My kids have watched too much Wreck It Ralph because I was absolutely certain this was going to be the version from it's credits

Carpy on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Apropos of nothing, a thing you should not do before doing something that could get you sued and/or arrested is post on the internet about your motive/intent.

announce all crimes with fireworks

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    Announce all crimes like a gender-reveal party

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    HeadCreeps wrote: »

"And the crime is... oh, arson again."

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    HeadCreeps wrote: »

"And in other news California is on fire again"

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

US agency sues top crypto exchange Binance and CEO, seeks permanent trading bans

The US Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) yesterday sued Binance, the world's largest cryptocurrency exchange, saying the company and its founder, Changpeng Zhao, are charged with "willful evasion of federal law and operating an illegal digital asset derivatives exchange."

Binance committed "numerous violations of the Commodity Exchange Act and CFTC regulations," the agency said. In a press release announcing the civil enforcement action, the agency said its litigation "seeks disgorgement, civil monetary penalties, permanent trading and registration bans, and a permanent injunction against further violations of the CEA and CFTC regulations."

The CFTC alleges that the defendants operated the trading platform "through an intentionally opaque common enterprise, with Zhao at the helm as Binance's owner and chief executive officer." The agency said the defendants "chose to knowingly disregard applicable provisions of the CEA while engaging in a calculated strategy of regulatory arbitrage to their commercial benefit." Samuel Lim, Binance's former chief compliance officer, was charged with aiding and abetting the violations.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/03/us-agency-sues-top-crypto-exchange-binance-and-ceo-seeks-permanent-trading-bans/?utm_brand=arstechnica&utm_source=twitter&utm_social-type=owned&utm_medium=social by
    @JBrodkin

this is good for bitcoin

This discussion has been closed.