As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WoW Alternatives?

KaosMitchKaosMitch Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
I'm playing WoW with my co-workers. I think it is the best designed/art-directed game of the "EQ mold" but since I've been playing MMOs since Meridian 59 (and Nethack and MUDs before that), I'm a little tired of that sort of game. Especially since I've played WoW off and on since beta.

Still I'm playing it as I completely agree with the statement "they have set up a system that allows me to rent my friends on a monthly basis" but I'd like something to play that is a little more open-ended and free-form. Like Ultima Online and Asheron's Call but more up-to-date with current tech and graphics.

What games are other people playing along these lines? Since I'm paying for WoW already, looking for something low-cost or free.

THANKS!

P.S. My co-workers and I are the "Stray Dogs" (Alliance) on Warsong btw if anyone is looking for some fun. PvP world and we're looking to start or partner up with a Horde guild for organized guild wars. :)

Community Manager
THQ | Kaos Studios
community.kaosstudios.com
twitter.com/KaosMitch
KaosMitch on

• Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Take a look in the free MMO thread, several free options in there. Two free games being populated by forum users are Wurm Online and Perfect World both of which have threads here.

Seg on
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Tough nut to crack. Wurm is the only one that really meets your criteria as Perfect World is more of a WoW-clone than anything. Not a lot of freeform MMO's out there today.

There's EVE, not free and statistically, you probably wouldn't like it.

I wish there was a game that met your description perfectly, UO with updated graphics. There was a discussion about it a few weeks ago in here. Didn't turn up any games though.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I do like Eve but it is like a job. I'm looking for something lighter and fun with depth. Impossible dream I guess...

I have fond memories of running around UO and AC and making my own "quests" instead of following a pre-set quest treadmill. Meh.

Nothing wrong with WoW, just looking for something a little different. One game I like is DDO but not spending another $10-15 a month while paying for WoW...

KaosMitch on
    Community Manager
    THQ | Kaos Studios
    twitter.com/KaosMitch
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    KaosMitch wrote: »
    I have fond memories of running around UO and AC and making my own "quests" instead of following a pre-set quest treadmill. Meh.

God fucking damn yes yes YES.

I wish I had an MMO that was as compelling as my drive in UO to explore certain dungeons and then move on to the next when I felt ready, or finding a group of Anti-PKs to harass mercilessly for weeks on end until they moved out of their houses... UO was the ultimate for playing your own game.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    VellyrVellyr Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    There's a game called Darkfall that seems to be attempting to recreate the UO feeling. It's been in development for eons, but at this point I think it's safe to say it's beyond the vaporware stage. It's centered around clan vs clan PvP, and there will be full looting, friendly fire, and a player-driven economy. I have no idea how good it's going to be or when it's finally going to come out, but it's one to watch. http://www.darkfallonline.com/

Vellyr on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    Vellyr wrote: »
    but at this point I think it's safe to say it's beyond the vaporware stage.

I'll believe that when there's an actual beta.

Which we had a PA guild ready for... in 2005.

Echo on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Pirates of the Burning Sea seems to fit the bill, ch-ch-check it out, I suggest. Haven't really looked into it myself, I'm mostly keeping an eye on free games.

If you're looking for free games:

FlySis is an arcade-y space shooter/MMO, there were a few people playing and they seemed to like it. It's a restart of Space Cowboy, maybe that rings a bell?

Lunia is a beat-em-up MMO. Very well executed, I must add. If you can look past the retarded story that plays before every map you'll notice that it is pretty deep for a free game.

Wurm Online is a game that can best be described as a Survival MMO. Just trying to reach Mount Awesome is a difficult. It looks pretty horrible and you need a good PC for it, though.

Aldo on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    defrag wrote: »

I wish I had an MMO that was as compelling as my drive in UO to explore certain dungeons and then move on to the next when I felt ready, or finding a group of Anti-PKs to harass mercilessly for weeks on end until they moved out of their houses... UO was the ultimate for playing your own game.

Hmmmm, if I could only figure out why more games like that don't come out. If only.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Hmmmm, if I could only figure out why more games like that don't come out. If only.

Yup, the success of the first EQ really crippled the originality of MMO developers to follow it.

AC2, WoW and pretty much everything since has been set on the "Party to get good stuff, so that you can raid to get good stuff, so that you can continue raiding to get good stuff." concept.

Seg on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Seg wrote: »

Yup, the success of the first EQ really crippled the originality of MMO developers to follow it.

AC2, WoW and pretty much everything since has been set on the "Party to get good stuff, so that you can raid to get good stuff, so that you can continue raiding to get good stuff." concept.

That's a problem in general but the specific problem I was alluding to was the fact that most people really don't go for being harassed until they move our of their house and now they have options where that kind of thing isn't possible. Which makes financing such a game difficult.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

That model is so beautiful from a financial standpoint though. Make some end game content. After several months when all the "hardcore" have "beaten" it they release another one, ad infinium. We've seen this in WoW. First there was MC/Ony, then BWL, AQ, Naxx, and finally they felt like they maxed out 60 stuff so the expansion comes along. It keeps people playing the game because there is always something next.

You make a free form game where players create their own goals and they just might feel one day that they're done.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    To be fair, since the expansion (a year ago) WoW has moved away from the "raid if you want to do more with the game" mindset. They've made a real effort to make the PvP system worth putting effort in to, and I think they've done a fairly decent job at it. There's balance issues, definitely, but at least there's room to progress in PvP, and it's dynamic enough that they don't really need to continue adding new instances or anything for it to be interesting for a long time yet.

exis on
  • Options
    blinkeblinke Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dark Ages of Camelot is my personal favorite MMO. It follows the red headed stepchild of the EQ Equation. The end game is all pvp trying to take over keeps from the two other realms. The battle grounds are some of the best pvp i've ever had in an MMO, definitely miles ahead of WoW's pvp setup.

blinke on
  • Options
    goodtimesgoodtimes Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    exis wrote: »
    To be fair, since the expansion (a year ago) WoW has moved away from the "raid if you want to do more with the game" mindset. They've made a real effort to make the PvP system worth putting effort in to, and I think they've done a fairly decent job at it. There's balance issues, definitely, but at least there's room to progress in PvP, and it's dynamic enough that they don't really need to continue adding new instances or anything for it to be interesting for a long time yet.

Nah I think WoW tried to leap forward but the mechanics involved in the actual process turned out to be chase each other around pillars until someone runs out of mana I want something more than that.

goodtimes on
    new sig underconstruction
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    goodtimes wrote: »
    exis wrote: »

Nah I think WoW tried to leap forward but the mechanics involved in the actual process turned out to be chase each other around pillars until someone runs out of mana I want something more than that.

I think you're over-simplifying arena just a little.

exis on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    If only there was a reason to pvp besides gear.

Seg on
  • Options
    king awesomeking awesome Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well, I'd like to pose a question to the OP.

What specifically about "MMO"s are you looking for? Or are you just looking for a massive game to play with your friends. I know a lot of people who had a very similar feeling to the OP and tried MMO after MMO and then one day found what they were looking for in an RTS or an FPS.

With games like World in Conflict that has pretty good, big online multiplayer or FPS games like TF2 that require good teamplay and strategy or CoD4 that has leveling up and psuedo "classes".

The problem with MMO's, is that yes they all sort of boil down to the same formula (EVE and WURM definately would be the 2 that break away from that mold though)

king awesome on
    Bigsushi.fm
    Listen to our podcast, read our articles, tell us how much you hate it and how to make it better ;)
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If you can wait a little bit longer then Age of Conan and Warhammer online are both coming out this year (hopefully lol) and they both look like good alternatives to WoW. Both have slightly different focuses, and if either of them fulfills their promises then they look like a good bet for the future.

Oh either them or "Hello Kitty online"!

Lly on
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If you are tired of playing an MMO and spending most your time soloing. I reccomend picking up FFXI.
    People say its hard to get into, but you did your WoW training wheels, why not get on an actual bike now?
    Community is awesome, you will get to know people on your server as opposed to just your guild.
    And why is this? Because in this MMO, they actually use the massively and make players group. Some see this as bullshit, some see it as a foundation for community. Either way, its something different, and is something with plenty of polish and depth. Its had time to simmer long enough, after all.
    You will HAVE to party in this game. you can solo, but really isnt that just a sp rpg then? The ability to solo from 1-max level, takes the MMO out of MMORPG imo.
    edit: stop by our thread. I was in the same boat as you about a month ago. Players here on the forums help make the transition as easy as possible. I will admit, its tough to get started in unless you have a mentor helping you out.

oh and no real hardcore pvp. if anything though, theres almost TOO much to do in FFXI. No wonder people have been playing it for as long as they have.

edit: Looking forward to your game btw, tell your co workers congrats on being the first xbl game with dedicated servers. Picking up Frontlines, day one!

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Thanks!

I played FF awhile back and still have the disks... but guess I've been inactive a long time and last I heard after a few months they totally deactivate your account and you have to buy it again. Doh!

Also, I'm paying for WoW so until my co-workers and I decide to move on probably not going to pay for another game monthly... and with Lich King coming (soon?) might be staying in Azeroth awhile longer. That's more about the social aspect though.

I've heard mixed things about AoC and War so we'll see if/when I get into beta. Very curious, just not sure how different they are from WoW.

"What specifically about "MMO"s are you looking for? Or are you just looking for a massive game to play with your friends."

Well my new DS is making me happy. :)

I really like MMOs though. Got one to play with friends, just looking for one that gives me the same feeling of excitement I got when playing AC or UO. Hard to define...

KaosMitch on
    Community Manager
    THQ | Kaos Studios
    twitter.com/KaosMitch
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    So you ARE or ARENT looking for an MMO? Your post isn't too clear.
    Were reccomending DS games alternative to WoW?
    This thread is random.

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    After playing Perfect World for about a week now, I would say that the first several levels reminds me a lot of playing Asheron's Call. It is free, with a pay real money for ingame items program, with a 2+g download. There are a few forumers playing in a guild together.

Incase you are wondering, the things about AC that it reminds me of, is just how large a world it seems to be. Of course part of that is how slowly you move around, but going from the first newbie location to the first town was a lot like going from an outpost to Holtberg, and then traveling to my second quest hub seemed a lot like running from Rithwic to Eastham. (I haven't played that game in 2 years and I still remember those things, it frightens me.)

But it does the "this class does this job" format that is seen in so many other MMOs.

There are a few other free MMOs listed in a thread on these forums. Most are based in asia, and have horrible english translations.

Seg on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    so can someone reccomend me a game like counter strike without the shooting or guns? thanks

Smashism on
  • Options
    Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Smashism wrote: »
    so can someone reccomend me a game like counter strike without the shooting or guns? thanks

have you tried world of warcraft

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Options
    RivulentRivulent Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

RIGHT HERE SIR

Rivulent on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Rivulent wrote: »

RIGHT HERE SIR

Sarcasm inferred from thread. Asking for a game to replace WoW, thats not an MMORPG or on DS is kind of odd, imo.

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Threads meander. I think I pretty much stated what I was looking for in the original post: a MMO that is more open-ended and not based on the EQ/WoW model so much.

Just downloaded the Perfect World installer and will check it out as well as some of the other games suggested. THANKS!

KaosMitch on
    Community Manager
    THQ | Kaos Studios
    twitter.com/KaosMitch
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    PW is about as close as you can get to the EQ/WoW model without playing EQ or WoW. It's a decent game by all standards, but it's absolutely not what you're looking for. :|

This is coming from the guy who runs the guild in that game.

Aldo on
  • Options
    hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    How open ended? Eve Online open ended or do you need elves? I hear mixed things about PotBS, describing it as eve-lite.

edit: what do you even mean by open ended?

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • Options
    ArcoslippyArcoslippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Eve is really open ended. I don't think there are any other games that consider scamming other players a viable form of endgame.

Arcoslippy on
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but two crazy people can fix anything.
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I mean, there's plenty of opportunity to play your own game in WoW as well. I'm never at a loss for things I could be doing, which is probably why I end up playing entirely too much. It sounds like you're just frustrated with games that don't allow you to force people to play your own game with you.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    PW is about as close as you can get to the EQ/WoW model without playing EQ or WoW. It's a decent game by all standards, but it's absolutely not what you're looking for. :|

I started playing PW because I wanted to play something other then WoW, it is different and new. I will probably quit in a couple of months, and it fits that perfectly because it is free.

Seg on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Aldo wrote: »

I started playing PW because I wanted to play something other then WoW, it is different and new. I will probably quit in a couple of months, and it fits that perfectly because it is free.

I'm with Seg on this. Perfect World is worth checking out as an alternative to WoW even if it doesn't even remotely fit the bill as far as being like UO/AC (both of these being games which I loved). It's fun and charming, there is a lot of character customization to be had, and on top of everything else combat is fast and furious... even grinding! That alone makes it worth some time.

Yeah, I'll probably abandon it eventually when WoW comes out with some new shiny to draw my attention again, but for the time being I'm having fun with it. Plus it's always good to grow our guild and see if we can't make a name for ourselves. :D

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I tried a Priest and an Archer... didn't seem so furious to me. The game is fun though especially being able to fly at level 1. :)

KaosMitch on
    Community Manager
    THQ | Kaos Studios
    twitter.com/KaosMitch
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I tried a Priest and an Archer... didn't seem so furious to me. The game is fun though especially being able to fly at level 1. :)

Admittedly, the 'furious' part is more when you're a melee-type, though the priest does get a lot of cool blasting spells which are fun.

I didn't play an archer past level 3 so I don't know if they ever get furious... but seriously, spend a few minutes and play a dual-wielding warrior. :D

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    But... I want to fly! ;)

Anyway, I got hit with the "traceroute" problem and can't play from home. D'oh.

KaosMitch on
    Community Manager
    THQ | Kaos Studios
    twitter.com/KaosMitch