As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bicycle Thread Is Coming Your Way

• Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    Whoops! Do you think they'll change it to be more clear, or no?

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Unknown.

Not sure if what they approved was that exact language or just the idea of adding. It's a good idea, just updating with what's on the road now. Only real 'rule' was if putting in charger spots, X% had to be ADA compliant.

As for the bikes, who knows. My concern was bikes could be classed the same as car so then not be permitted on a bike lane/shared lane, etc. Or required to get a car sticker or something. Maybe there's existing language that classifies a bike. And really just that they needed to just be aware of that.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh hey last Friday my front bike tire got nicked when I ducked into the grocery store.

Fortunately I have a friend who is head of the service centre at a local high end bike outlet and he hooked me up with a wheel+tire+tube+disc at cost, bless him. So a week later the planets are finally aligned, and for the first weekend in March 2023
    - im sufficiently recovered from injury
    - ive got a bike with two whole wheels
    - theres no cyclone on the horizon.

Time to go out on the road and immediately get tripped by a dog or whatever the universe has in store

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Awesome for the at cost and good weather bits, not the theft or likelihood of further injuries.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Oh hey last Friday my front bike tire got nicked when I ducked into the grocery store.

Fortunately I have a friend who is head of the service centre at a local high end bike outlet and he hooked me up with a wheel+tire+tube+disc at cost, bless him. So a week later the planets are finally aligned, and for the first weekend in March 2023
    - im sufficiently recovered from injury
    - ive got a bike with two whole wheels
    - theres no cyclone on the horizon.

Time to go out on the road and immediately get tripped by a dog or whatever the universe has in store

Have a great ride!
    Waiting for things to dry out here, though most of the snow is gone.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Dear two-wheel transportation enthusiasts - I find myself with a need and desire for a pannier(s) to help haul the goods the grocery store and other market like establishments. Anyone have any recommendations that aren't bank breaking? Since it isn't for commuting I'm not too concerned about the general waterproofness.

At the moment I'm looking at the Banjo Brothers Market Bag, but real-world recommendations are always more appreciated.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    I've done very little comparison shopping, but I didnt like the Arkel dry lites that connect together and both hang over the rack, and I do quite like my Ortlieb bike-shoppers. I like a good quick release system, the material has been really durable, and I think perhaps the weakest part might the zip top, but that also seems like the least important part.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Everyone keeps on recommending Ortieb so I just picked up a pair with my REI member dividend and their 20% off sale - so while still a bit more than I was looking for I get two panniers for a total of 40L of carrying capacity that are quality.

Thanks much!

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Good call Zip, honestly

I had several variously-priced recs I was lining up for you but I used Ortlieb PVC-free for years and only just replaced them with neaaarly identical Ortlieb frees. They're super workhorses; they're waterproof; they're easy enough to carry off-bike and they collapse flat for transportation.

If anyone's looking for a front bag, Fab's Chest and its rack mechanism is 100% as good as the cult-following hype around it, and they are extremely cool nice people. Ronnie emailed me with advice when I was having dumbness struggles racking mine at first.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Good call Zip, honestly

I had several variously-priced recs I was lining up for you but I used Ortlieb PVC-free for years and only just replaced them with neaaarly identical Ortlieb frees. They're super workhorses; they're waterproof; they're easy enough to carry off-bike and they collapse flat for transportation.

If anyone's looking for a front bag, Fab's Chest and its rack mechanism is 100% as good as the cult-following hype around it, and they are extremely cool nice people. Ronnie emailed me with advice when I was having dumbness struggles racking mine at first.

Appreciate the stamp of approval and the almost list of recs!

• Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    Beated before I could say Ortlieb. Not cheap perse (don't call me Percy!) but damn good value for money.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    I'd put on new tires onto my bike recently, and the front tire seemed to be a bit wobbly, but I figured it was just that the tire wasn't quite molded perfectly or something. It'd been getting worse and worse, and let me tell you, it was very unnerving to realise that it was wobbly because it was basically trying to unmount itself:

yxk52r3la7dz.jpg

The thing is, I was at the other end of my bike ride when I got around to checking, so I rode back _very_ carefully -- if the back tire goes bad all of a sudden, that's one thing, but if the front tire goes bad all of a sudden, a crash is pretty much inevitable.

Fix was to deflate the innertube and then reinflate it while readjusting the tire every 10 seconds or so to make sure that it went on centered properly; it seems like this tire+wheel combination needs a bit of help.

• Options
    Yikes! Yeah, I don't know how to deal with that roadside.

• Options
    Oh, if I'd had a pump with me it would have been fine, I'd just do the same deflate - adjust - re-inflate thing that I did at home, it didn't even need tire levers. I just don't think to have that set of tools with me most of the time and mostly it's okay, except when it isn't.

• Options
    Also, new bike day! (actually that was two months ago, I just hadn't got around to sorting out pictures yet).

x1vlq94afqj5.jpg

I've been vaguely wanting some sort of proper dual-suspension bike for ages now, and this one was on sale because it's last year's model so I finally have one. It's been pretty fun -- mostly because there's a lot of biking things that I want to be able to do and now I don't have the excuse that "the bike isn't good enough" any more, even though most of what I'm actually doing at my level of ability would absolutely be possible on a rigid bike. That said, now I know how to ride down stairs:

It turns out that the way to ride down stairs is, well, to ride down stairs. And I know that sounds tremendously dumb, but it's not so much riding down stairs, as it is not _not_ riding down stairs; to convince myself I could do that I built up gradually from shallow sets of three stairs that are basically riding down a curb three times in quick succession, then three actual stairs, then six stairs, then ten, and now I'm trying to move up to a set of stairs that isn't, like, 30 steps which seems to be what's next around here and that feels like a bit much.

But at every stage it's the same thing; ride up to stairs at a reasonable speed, keep on going until I'm riding down them, weight back a bit, don't use the front brake. All of which I already knew intellectually, but convincing myself to not panic and grab the brakes just before / right on the first step, that's the thing I had to get past, and having a squishier bike seems to be enough to fool my brain into being less of a wuss.

and down (I promise this is steep, despite what it looks like) random construction-site dirt mounds:

and over log piles:

Actually riding trails is also fine, but I could do that before on a 26" hardtail with 30-year-old geometry; things have changed an awful lot since then, it turns out, and I actually have to unlearn some of the techniques I'd got from back in those days. And while I was pretty skeptical about dropper seatposts in the abstract, now I have one I totally understand why they're so popular.

• Options
    Welcome to the modern era of mountain bikes!

They're absurdly good.

• Options
    Put my bike on a transbay bus for the first time and now I'm watching it nervously as we rocket across the bridge at 90 miles an hour.

Be safe out there, little buddy

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    My front disc breaks click every time I use them but when I examined them afterwards they seem to be tightly secured in place. Is this something I should worry about?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    Maybe! I know mine click a little when I first apply them and it's just the pads shifting slightly in their housings. But that's one click at the beginning of a given braking not every wheel rotation or whatever.

• Options
    I haven't experienced that before, if it were me I'd ask my bike shop about it.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Ashaman42 wrote: »
    Maybe! I know mine click a little when I first apply them and it's just the pads shifting slightly in their housings. But that's one click at the beginning of a given braking not every wheel rotation or whatever.

Yeah this is exactly what I hear: just a click on their first use in a while.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Also, new bike day! (actually that was two months ago, I just hadn't got around to sorting out pictures yet).

x1vlq94afqj5.jpg

I've been vaguely wanting some sort of proper dual-suspension bike for ages now, and this one was on sale because it's last year's model so I finally have one. It's been pretty fun -- mostly because there's a lot of biking things that I want to be able to do and now I don't have the excuse that "the bike isn't good enough" any more, even though most of what I'm actually doing at my level of ability would absolutely be possible on a rigid bike. That said, now I know how to ride down stairs:

It turns out that the way to ride down stairs is, well, to ride down stairs. And I know that sounds tremendously dumb, but it's not so much riding down stairs, as it is not _not_ riding down stairs; to convince myself I could do that I built up gradually from shallow sets of three stairs that are basically riding down a curb three times in quick succession, then three actual stairs, then six stairs, then ten, and now I'm trying to move up to a set of stairs that isn't, like, 30 steps which seems to be what's next around here and that feels like a bit much.

But at every stage it's the same thing; ride up to stairs at a reasonable speed, keep on going until I'm riding down them, weight back a bit, don't use the front brake. All of which I already knew intellectually, but convincing myself to not panic and grab the brakes just before / right on the first step, that's the thing I had to get past, and having a squishier bike seems to be enough to fool my brain into being less of a wuss.

and down (I promise this is steep, despite what it looks like) random construction-site dirt mounds:

and over log piles:

Actually riding trails is also fine, but I could do that before on a 26" hardtail with 30-year-old geometry; things have changed an awful lot since then, it turns out, and I actually have to unlearn some of the techniques I'd got from back in those days. And while I was pretty skeptical about dropper seatposts in the abstract, now I have one I totally understand why they're so popular.

Ok now ride down these stairs

5hnke5l9bvci.jpg

• Options
    I've pretty much got the hang of longer stairs now, I'm mostly having a problem finding ones that are wide enough that I'm not worried about getting tangled up in the handrails, or that don't have a sharp corner right at the top which makes it awkward to get a good start. These are the biggest ones I've found within an easy cycle of home, at least.
    p8kdcxzgnm8t.jpg
    (one thing I've noticed along the way is that a lot of places have 'no skateboarding' signs next to stairs, but hardly any have 'no cycling' signs)

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Put my bike on a transbay bus for the first time and now I'm watching it nervously as we rocket across the bridge at 90 miles an hour.

Be safe out there, little buddy

I never have the courage to do this with those front-mount bike carriers on buses because I'm worried I'll struggle with the mechanism and everyone will be waiting and the bus driver will hope I die

So instead I just... ride everywhere or don't go

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    OH I KNOWWWW
    The ones here are pretty easy but if you're the first person to load up you also gotta lower the rack, and the first time I did that I couldn't immediately figure it out and it was so effing embarrassing

Fortunately nobody else was on the bus yet

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2023
    Jokerman wrote: »

x1vlq94afqj5.jpg

and over log piles:

5hnke5l9bvci.jpg

Those are barely safe to walk down.

Magell on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    Jokerman wrote: »

x1vlq94afqj5.jpg

and over log piles:

5hnke5l9bvci.jpg

Those are barely safe to walk down.

They're known locally as the Stone Stairs of Death, so you're not wrong.

During St Paddy's day I once watched a very drunk man rail grind all the way down and then basically face plant into the bottom of the stairs. I thought I watched him die until he stood up and shambled away.

• Options
    Just got back from a number of days at kingdom trails in northern VT. Most of the time was spent on kiddo comfort riding the trails, but still had a ball.
    Highlight was climbing up a long haul road to do this thing:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82692QWrnvg

I'm not rad, but it was incredibly fun.

• Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    I did a ride! First time doing a big event ride kind of thing and I thought it would be grueling type 2 fun (start at sea level and ride about 20mi to the ~5,000 ft mountaintop, then back) but it was just an absolute blast. And I'm tired but not about to die tired. Going in and out drafts on the way back down was really fun too. I did it on my old hard tail with pumped up balloon commuter tires, worked great.

• Options
    The last time I took my bike apart to put it in a car, when I put the front wheel back on it had developed an irritating squeak. Ok, something is rubbing, maybe the brake pads are misaligned, maybe a spring got caught weirdly in the shaft, I'm sure it'll come good if I give it a quick once-over.
    So three weekends ago I removed the wheel again, and put it back on more carefully and precisely, checking the brake alignment, being real cautious with the spring seating, etc.
    Still squeaked.
    So two weekends ago (and considering I needed to do some chain maintenance anyway), I gave it a light but fairly complete service. Oiled everything that moved, cleaned oil off anything that didn't, the works. Span the wheels a few times and they sounded like the future, it was gorgeous.

Took it out today for a longer ride and about 20km in I start hearing, from the front wheel shaft, "squeak ... squeak ... squeak ..."
    ... I wish to reassure any concerned fellow travelers on the Richmond leg of the east bay trail who might be reading this that the woman shouting "What do you even WANT" at her bike was not dangerous.

• Options
    The last time I took my bike apart to put it in a car, when I put the front wheel back on it had developed an irritating squeak. Ok, something is rubbing, maybe the brake pads are misaligned, maybe a spring got caught weirdly in the shaft, I'm sure it'll come good if I give it a quick once-over.
    So three weekends ago I removed the wheel again, and put it back on more carefully and precisely, checking the brake alignment, being real cautious with the spring seating, etc.
    Still squeaked.
    So two weekends ago (and considering I needed to do some chain maintenance anyway), I gave it a light but fairly complete service. Oiled everything that moved, cleaned oil off anything that didn't, the works. Span the wheels a few times and they sounded like the future, it was gorgeous.

Took it out today for a longer ride and about 20km in I start hearing, from the front wheel shaft, "squeak ... squeak ... squeak ..."
    ... I wish to reassure any concerned fellow travelers on the Richmond leg of the east bay trail who might be reading this that the woman shouting "What do you even WANT" at her bike was not dangerous.

If history has taught us anything - a blood sacrifice.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    By the time I finished moving to my new place back in May/June the summer humidity had already kicked in hard and brutally, not to mention the wildfire smoke that was choking us out, so I kind of wussed out on actually riding my bicycle to work for the last 8 months since I bought it

But today, after spending the last couple weeks acquiring a few overdue items like lights and hand tools, I finally overcame a summer's worth of anxiety and took the 1.25 mile ride to work, and it went pretty smoothly I think?? Though I am definitely feeling whole groups of leg muscles that I'm gonna need to stretch out a little bit before turning back around at 5:30

• Options
    Awesome! I rode sooo little this summer, but I just did a shortish bike packing trip this weekend with several other people and it was so nice, even if it was 92 degrees on Saturday in late October. Unfortunately, it was organized through my favorite local bike shop that will be closing for good in December.

• Options
    Yeah, most riding I've done lately is on the trainer because it won't stop raining (new england) and all the trails are just mud bogs.

• Options
    Now that I'm getting comfier on the fixed-gear commute, I really oughta fix up my 2013 Fuji Absolute 1.4 because it's been gathering dust for years, ever since the derailers went out

Incidentally I do not know how derailers work and walking myself through the mechanics of them makes my eyes glaze over, hence why I built up a whole-ass fixed single-speed first

I'd probably like to set up the Fuji little closer to current gravel bike/"xbike" builds, swapping out the flat bar for something else and adding on a small rack or two to get it set up for light trail riding, plus bump the tire size up from 700cx28s to 700cx32s

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Pull chain internal 3 speed hubs are the work of the devil.

No sane man would design such a system.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    PXL-20231118-170702520-PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL-20231118-181910592.jpg
    PXL-20231118-191110030.jpgPXL-20231118-201957052.jpg

Raced in the Baltimore Cranksgiving ride, -- my first ever cycling event, and the fastest and farthest I've gone on a bike in a very very long time. Basically a poker run around the East side of the city, except the stops were grocery stores, and the collected items were Thanksgiving dinner specials like boxed mashed potatoes and stuffing mix, plus canned turkey. Extremely fun, plus a little bit of sketchy riding through Highlandtown (the right kind of sketchy thankfully)

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    Just realized those images didn't upload to the forums properly and fixed that, woops

anyways I'm finally hitting the point where I can just hop on and ride for an hour with a couple small breaks, feels good -- both from a fitness standpoint and also knowing the city grid increasingly well

• Options
    Good looking Soma bike! Seems similar to my dusty rose color on my Space Horse.

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    I've never had anything approaching a decent pair of gloves for winter cycling.

In southern Washington, so it's raining pretty much the whole winter and between 20f and 40f, though usually hovering around/juuust above freezing.

Has anyone had any particularly good experiences for roughly that temp range and very very wet? I guess technically I do have hella heavy snow gloves, but while I know you can't get away with super thin and dexterous gloves in these circumstances, those are so bulky it can even be a little hard to brake properly.

Saw a few suggestions to not actually look at cycling gloves, but cold weather outdoor work gloves instead since they're more likely to maintain decent dexterity and waterproofing (you do have to be able to work in them after all) without getting a Cycling™ tax attached. But I also don't know anything about decent gloves of that vein either.