As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Overwatch] Overwatch 2 is Live!

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    people just put blinders on to what each class kit requires. moira has to dps to sustain healing. if you see a moira throwing yellow balls, they aren't a "DPS MOIRA OMGLULZ". even throwing a purple orb isn't a sure sign of it. having a moira that helps finish off those low targets by chasing them and then fading back is a great asset. i usually make sure i'm keeping up with the other healers when i'm playing.

• ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Supports with 0 in the elims column are just as bad as Moiras or Anas who have higher damage than healing, IMO. I don't care if you're playing Mercy, there are times when the glock needs to come out.

I've seen too many games carried by Baps or Kirikos or Zens or Anas who just land the fuck out of their shots.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    lol there are almost never any 0-elimination healers in the average median Overwatch game save for the occasional Mercy that never swaps weapons. Most other times other characters are going to end up accidentally hitting something on the way to heals lmao

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    Moira's utility is her DPS. A Moira who only ever throws yellow orbs is doing it wrong.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Frankly as someone who plays a lot of support, I am extremely liberal with my mute button. I won't go out of my way to stop healing someone who complains about heals, but their ass is getting muted at the first hint of complaining. I simply do not have the patience to deal with whiners in my gaming life.

This is why I'm out of team chat and text chat. My settings should make it so I never see team or match chat, but sometimes I do see stuff - dk why - and if it's ever complaining about DPS when I'm on DPS? It suddenly becomes time to practice my (absolutely terrible) Genji.

If it's about heals and I'm on heals, you're either getting Zen as a general statement, or DPS-centric Moira.

You were getting my best, Johnny Complaints. Now you'll get what you've earned.

Very minor event, no new skins. At least this time it's a real game mode (kill confirm team DM), I prefer that over a gimmick mode that locks in the themed heroes.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    what is meant by "kill confirm"

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I think in the Olympus game mode there were kills that wouldn’t register like Lucio boops or Pharah boops, making getting those challenge rewards even harder.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Kill Confirm is a standard game type in shooters.

Usually when you down an enemy they will drop a token of some kind. And the kill won't count unless you pick up said token.

Also the enemy team can erase said token if they grab it first.

ohh huh interesting

don't think I've ever run into that before, although that's not too surprising since OW is pretty much the first and only pvp shooter I've played since the original team fortress classic

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Kill Confirmed was one of the first of the "Team Deathmatch With A Twist" that was a meaningful improvement on the regular deathmatch mode because it (generally) incentivized players to move out of the comforts of their (often annoyingly airtight) hideyholes in order to actually contribute to a win. It added a nice flavour to a very vanilla game mode, but Overwatch doesn't necessarily suffer from the same kinds of issues (rampant camping and the map designs and skillsets that encourage it) that a mode like Kill Confirmed becomes a soft solution for.

7 and 3 tonight, 5 PoGs, a fine night of Overwatch.

https://youtu.be/N7GD9IlfbMU

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Blizzard's doing their April Fools thing, which means giving all the heroes weird changes (in Arcade). Some of the developer comments for the heroes are pretty good. Also, the Cassidy change is something I'd legitimately like to see in the game.

BionicPenguin on
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Apparently, Winston's thing is that he says his own name whenever he does anything.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    winton jump

winton zap

uc3ufTB.png
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    bpsiyylrjley.jpg

edited April 2023
    Typical blizzard, making some interesting changes that they're too scared to actually implement because it makes the current setup look bad (passives here make sense, Winston works with the barrier being based on him moving, the McCree change works well) but it's open queue so you can't really see how the April Fools joke actually makes the real game a joke.

edit: seriously, this has been the most fun I've had since OW2 released.

TexiKen on
  • VontreVontre Registered User regular
    So wait, there are goofy changes but you're saying they don't appear in quick play, the mode everyone actually plays??

it's its own tile in the Arcade menu like a mini experiment card, but the voicelines are throughout every game mode this weekend.

In the past they've hidden upcoming changes in these patches, some of them sound quite plausible.

TexiKen wrote: »
    Typical blizzard, making some interesting changes that they're too scared to actually implement because it makes the current setup look bad (passives here make sense, Winston works with the barrier being based on him moving, the McCree change works well) but it's open queue so you can't really see how the April Fools joke actually makes the real game a joke.

edit: seriously, this has been the most fun I've had since OW2 released.

i'm just gonna go ahead and assume this is also an April Fools joke

no normal human who has played this game for any amount of time can think these changes are actually balanced and good for the health of the game

like come on

Vontre wrote: »
    So wait, there are goofy changes but you're saying they don't appear in quick play, the mode everyone actually plays??

they're a bunch of over-the-top, broken, untested changes that are there to goof around with for a while

quick play isn't some throwaway garbage heap, it should still have some semblance of balance

putting them in arcade where people can opt-in when they're in the mood is exactly how it should be

the voice lines are in QP for ults. didn't notice any other changes in qp.

please let the brig change in arcade stay...it is so freaking awesome.

• OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    There are some really rad and interesting changes and I, an ostensibly normal human being, would love for them to place a lot of these changes into experimental to test them further.

Giving zarya a bigger boost to her rocket jump based on energy would be a lot of fun. So would the Grav slowly coming towards her. It gives her slow porcupine nature some more mobility. She's missing something as a solo tank and these are cool ideas.

Cassidy having a stamina bar would be rad as heck, no other character has one, right?

Junkrat dropping grenades on rocket jump would be weird and broken, but a cool bomber vibe, and just throws more Demoman hilarity into his character.

Barrage turning a Gundam-skinned Pharah into an even more anime character is fucking great, and how often does a pharah ult have any effective use against most teams?

And Brig? FUCK YEAH, WHIPSHOT BUFF. Just put it on an toggle so the Brig can decide if the boop thrusts her towards the enemy. Put a magnet on it, explain it with Torbjorn science, fuck yeah. Let's her chase her pal Rein into the fray!

Way back when I first heard that Moira's Fade now gave her a fucking MEGA JUMP I thought it was a meme joke, but then tried it and loved it. This dead game needs more wild and crazy shit happening all the time.

Edit: This moira Orb change absolutely fucking owns. So much more interesting than that weird debuff shit they attempted that destroyed her flow in the betas.

OmnomnomPancake on
    Why do people still not realize Symm is OP as hell?

https://youtu.be/Auu8OSQhi2E

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    People don’t realize that? She’s been one of my most hated characters since they added the projectile turrets in OW1.

Ironically she hasn’t been bothering me as much lately, being replaced by Ball and Sombra on my List.

edited April 2023
    PCGamer has an article up, but it's been taken down.

...but someone screenshotted it, so here you go.

He can pull allies towards him.

Chance wrote: »

Pulling allies is just ripe for gameplay sabotage like Mei assholes blocking off their own team.

"burst healing"......

TRZ7KIm.png

It's obvious people are just going to call him Flower in chat and comms, but I put forth he should be called Audrey III. If he doesn't have a Little Shop of Horrors skin what even is the point of anything.

Yeah not keen on anyone being able to alter an ally's movement in any way. Mei has always been a sore spot, and even that is just "I'm cutting off a path" and not "I'm directly controlling your positioning"

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Chance wrote: »

Pulling allies is just ripe for gameplay sabotage like Mei assholes blocking off their own team.

Conversely it’s the perfect fix for the tank/DPS that insists on diving into a 1v5. /s

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i'm sure people will try to troll if the ability lets them, but i wanna see what utter positioning shenanigans a coordinated team with this guy, mei, and symm can get up to

uc3ufTB.png
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    There has to be some sort of confirmation input for the target ally, right? That seems like it would be terrible for gamefeel otherwise. So terrible that I feel like I have to be missing something.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    So many Lifeweaver players are going to get reported by people who don’t understand positioning.

So many Lifeweaver players are going to abuse the shit out of this to grief their team as well.

edit: fixed typo in character name.

Nobody on
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    I'd think it'd be short range only, so mostly pulling people around corners, because an LW player pulling someone to the front would likely get melted before they could. But they also say it's useful for aggressive flankers, which would indicate it's pretty long-range. Confirmation would also make it completely useless by slowing it down massively. It's not that uncommon an ability in MOBAs, but Overwatch isn't a MOBA, you don't see what happened and what's going on around you, and it will be disorienting, feel awful, etc. Some absolutely will use it to yank people into pits, especially right out of spawn just to be trolls.

The rest of his kit sounds pretty lame, though it's unclear what his primary healing even is except no aim, burst and have to 'maintain its charge'? And given how non-offensive OW supports are, is unlikely to feel good. The platform thing seems kind of awful to me to be honest. Unless it accelerates up super fast to provide some kind of escape or even enemy disruption (if it even can be used at range), so could be used in combat? But apparently he has a dash for self-preservation, so seems more like just a very lame minor repositioning tool of dubious value since you're not going to get value from sticking Rein or Zen in a sniper perch anyway.

Also, isn't that too many abilities?
    LMB: Heal
    RMB: Damage
    E: Platform
    Shift: Dash
    Q: Tree
    Passive: Drop medkit
    ???: Yank people

Are they making a second Mercy with some kind of weapon/mode switching mechanic?

ztrEPtD.gif
    I'm not worried about intentional sabotage, it's not really an issue with Mei. There will definitely be a lot of players who are too trigger happy with it and will mess you up when you're trying to finish an enemy though. Much like the Bap and Kiriko players who give you invuln when you're in no danger at all.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Most people are usually trying to win so I doubt it'll be that big of a deal.

Sure you'll have trolls but I'm sure they will get reported eventually.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    okay, so I'm trying to figure out how I mitigated 5 million damage:
    9r07j1u6zqfv.png

I did spend some time as Dva and Roadhog, but I'm not sure how I got to that number.