As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What's in your backpack/fannypack/purse

2»

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    I remember when they released the DS Lites they made the screen brighter. But I swear there's no major difference in screens between different colored Lites that I've heard of.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    ShineyBlueShoesShineyBlueShoes Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Why can't I find all the articles on this with pictures now... :P I swear I'm not delusional!

Edit- Found what I was looking for! Need to improve your search functionality already Kotaku. :P

http://kotaku.com/gaming/switcheroo/new-ds-screens-not-as-good-as-old-ds-screens-293552.php

Remembered it slightly wrong in that it wasn't so much a brightness issue but more about viewing angle and a yellowish tint on the touch screen.

Found a mention when I was looking that when the Crimson one came out Nintendo used a batch of slightly lower quality screens but had since fixed it though I couldn't find anything to collaborate that.

Hopefully the Cobalt one will have as good of screens because I do like it. Love my import white one but still wish I'd gotten a navy one.

ShineyBlueShoes on
  • Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Why can't I find all the articles on this with pictures now... :P I swear I'm not delusional!

Edit- Found what I was looking for! Need to improve your search functionality already Kotaku. :P

http://kotaku.com/gaming/switcheroo/new-ds-screens-not-as-good-as-old-ds-screens-293552.php

Remembered it slightly wrong in that it wasn't so much a brightness issue but more about viewing angle and a yellowish tint on the touch screen.

Found a mention when I was looking that when the Crimson one came out Nintendo used a batch of slightly lower quality screens but had since fixed it though I couldn't find anything to collaborate that.

Hopefully the Cobalt one will have as good of screens because I do like it. Love my import white one but still wish I'd gotten a navy one.

HA! I THOUGHT there was something strange about one of the white DS lites I got as a replacement for a cracked one a few months back. I thought it was defective and was so mad about having to send back, I believe it was a third hinge crack only to get one back with a bad screen that I made them send me another one. The screen on the white one I have now isn't quite as good as my old one (I can tell when playing Hotel Dusk that the viewable isn't the same) but it doesn't have that yellow tinge to it.

I wonder how the screen is on the Phantom Hourglass DS? I just broke down and ordered one and should have it by Monday. Darnit, now I'm all worried. :(

Anyway, this is a thread about bags, right? Heh. I know I'm going to want to bring my laptop but I haven't decided if I want to actually pay for the BYOC area. But my Dell E1505 is heavy enough that I wouldn't want to lug it around all day. Also I hear backpacks are bad to bring? Hmm. I suppose I should make a list of what I want to have on me. Definitely want my DS and as many games as I can shove into...something. Some headphones. I guess I can bring a MTG deck, though I haven't played in forever. Ooh, a pokemon deck too. Only thing I wonder about is tabletop gaming. I have never played any PnP RPGs at a con before. Do you bring your own premade character or do you make one on site? Either way I'll need to be able to carry papers around I'd think...hmm...

mare_imbrium on
    v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Hopefully it'll be all good for you and I haven't heard anything about the editions that were out over Christmas. Well we'll have to warm up on each other since I haven't touched my Magic cards in at least three years.

Sort of off-topic but something you said made me think of it for some reason. As far as table top gaming goes I've never gotten to do much, even various boardgames (just played my first game of Catan a couple weeks ago), since I don't know many folks round here that are into that kind of thing. No good gaming shops or anything around here anymore either, no idea where I'm going to grab some more Magic cards before PAX even. Anyway... is there typically any little groups or anything of people just starting different games/wanting to learn different stuff? Remember someone mentioned in the swag thread that one copy was actually teaching attendees their game but sure that's pretty rare. Always wanted to try 40K, aside from the crazy cost of those minatures for something I have no idea if I'd like or be able to find anyone to play, and a lot of other stuff and sure a lot of it's too complicated to really teach quickly. I digress and ramble though.

ShineyBlueShoes on
  • Options
    SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hopefully it'll be all good for you and I haven't heard anything about the editions that were out over Christmas. Well we'll have to warm up on each other since I haven't touched my Magic cards in at least three years.

Sort of off-topic but something you said made me think of it for some reason. As far as table top gaming goes I've never gotten to do much, even various boardgames (just played my first game of Catan a couple weeks ago), since I don't know many folks round here that are into that kind of thing. No good gaming shops or anything around here anymore either, no idea where I'm going to grab some more Magic cards before PAX even. Anyway... is there typically any little groups or anything of people just starting different games/wanting to learn different stuff? Remember someone mentioned in the swag thread that one copy was actually teaching attendees their game but sure that's pretty rare. Always wanted to try 40K, aside from the crazy cost of those minatures for something I have no idea if I'd like or be able to find anyone to play, and a lot of other stuff and sure a lot of it's too complicated to really teach quickly. I digress and ramble though.

Actually, most companies that bring a card type game to PAX, teach any and all attendees their game, and usually give the person a free starter deck or the equivalent for taking the time to sit there.

I have a Warmachine army, which is quite like 40k. Its... only worth it if you have the time and money to spend on it, and people to play it with. Its fun, sure, but why spend $400 on something you are only going to use maybe once every 3-6 months? (Sense a bit of regret/resentment there anyone? :D )

There is also the Tabletop freeplay area. Always a good place to go to meet people willing to play just about any tabletop game you can think of.

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • Options
    strangemusicstrangemusic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I, too, recently played my first game of Catan, and love it... might spend a little more time in the Tabletop rooms this year?

strangemusic on
    "Always be wary of people who use quotes... I don't know who said that" - Murdoc Nicalls.
    Those Eve guys are creepy. :|
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I think all us newbies should just force everyone else out and claim it as our own. :)

ShineyBlueShoes on
  • Options
    Sl1pstreamSl1pstream [E] BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I found that carrying too much stuff was a serious pain in the ass.

QFT. My back really hurt from carrying too much stuff last year. I did put all of my swag in my bag (instead of carrying one of those big bags Sony was handing out).

Sl1pstream on
  • Options
    HaikufrenzyHaikufrenzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    In Dakine (copyright symbol) messenger bag:
    ~ iPod with throwaway earphones
    ~ Uno deck (For the pre-start wait in line)
    ~ Water bottle (Being parched sucks)
    ~ Aviators shades
    ~ Whatever swag I get, stopping back at the hotel room every so often to empty out

In me pockets:
    ~ Wallet with whatever I'll have in terms of money
    ~ Hotel keycard
    ~ Cell phone (Kept off until needed)

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
This discussion has been closed.