As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Home Networking] And You

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Yeah, most of the mesh systems will do that. And you can set up profiles and determine when devices are allowed to be online. So I can turn off my daughter's Switch and TV access at night, for example.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Verse 1:
    Listen up, y'all, I got a story to tell
    'Bout a dude named Echo, who's really on a roll
    He's got a new mesh, the Deco, it's a sight to behold
    With lightning fast speeds, it's a story that's been told

Chorus:
    Echo's Deco, it's the best wifi you'll know
    No buffering, no lag, it's the real deal, yo
    Echo's Deco, it's the future, it's the flow
    It's the thing you need, to get your internet to grow

Verse 2:
    Echo's a genius, a tech-savvy guy
    He's always ahead, never one to shy away
    From a challenge, he's got a vision and a plan
    To bring the world, the best internet they can

Chorus:

Verse 3:
    So if you're looking for a wifi solution
    Echo's Deco is the answer, it's the revolution
    It's the thing you need, to get your internet to soar
    Echo's Deco, it's the wifi you can't ignore

Chorus:

Outro:
    So don't be left behind, get your hands on Echo's Deco
    It's the wifi of the future, you'll never let it go
    Echo's Deco, it's the best, that's for sure
    Echo's Deco, the future is yours.

Write a rap song that rhymes with the title “Echo’s Deco” that rhymes and uses the words echo and deco and words that rhyme with them. Echo is a person and deco is their wonderful new wifi mesh. The song should be upbeat and in the style of an Eminem song

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    This version has 3x 1Gb ethernet ports. There's a "Pro" version that swaps one for 2.5Gb, but my plan there is to just get an unmanaged witch (I'm leaving that typo) and put the NAS and two computers hardwired to it, I don't need that speed beyond that switch.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Having 2.5 from the NAS sounds nice but I struggle to come up with a realistic use case for me.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Honestly, it's mostly because the motherboards I'm looking at have that speed. It's not like I'll be doing real-time video editing off of the NAS.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Moved back to FiOS. Transition was simple. Service guy put in a new fiber converter box and drove over to the distribution panel to turn on the service. He ran and terminated a new CAT 5E cable. I restarted my router and we're running.

Total network outage was like 5 minutes.

I called Comcast and they barely fought to cancel service.

I had no issues with Comcast; our service price was about to jump 50% and I would have to drop to 50 or 100 Mbps to get to the promo price I had for gigabit

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Moved back to FiOS. Transition was simple. Service guy put in a new fiber converter box and drove over to the distribution panel to turn on the service. He ran and terminated a new CAT 5E cable. I restarted my router and we're running.

I had no issues with Comcast; our service price was about to jump 50% and I would have to drop to 50 or 100 Mbps to get to the promo price I had for gigabit

My success with trying to threaten ISPs with cancelling to get what I want has definitely gotten less common over the years. Last time I tried it, maybe six months ago, Charter could not have cared any less.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    ectoidectoid Registered User regular
    I'm currently using a netgear Netgear wndr4500 that I'm looking to upgrade. My cable plan is only 300Mbps down, but a router is something I don't want to deal with unless necessary so I would like to future proof.

I generally have about 15 devices connected, ranging from some IoT devices(thermostat, water heater, etc) to TV, phones, ps5, etc. We primarily stream via the TV which is wifi5 capable, and I believe all of our phones/tablets should be wifi 5/6 capable. I would like to have the SSIDs split so I can keep IoT stuff on the 2.4ghz band and not crowd everything else out. The coverage area is ~2500sqft.

Eventually I would like to run ethernet through the house, but that is on the backburner for now.

In general I've been happy with the Netgear router that I have. It has been a solid performer, but seems like with the increase in wireless clients that I've had over the years it isn't keeping up.

Currently looking at:
    ASUS RT-AX68U
    MSI Radix ax-6600

Are these options overkill, or is there something else I should be looking at? I looked back through a few pages and see the TP Link Deco mesh system recommended but am not sure if that fits my use case?

• Options
    If you want to keep the bands spilt then you want to stay away from mesh systems. Some of the really expensive ones will have a separate network for IoT devices, but they mostly just handle the band steering themselves.

If you're looking to save some money, the TP-Link Archer routers are quite good. Just about anything off the shelf well be an improvement over the dinosaur you've got though.

• Options
    ectoidectoid Registered User regular
    Thanks for the help. I went with the Asus gt-ax6000, and set it up before work. Testing the old router, most locations in the house were getting about 100Mbps down, with the new one most locations are maxed out and the lowest I measured was 250Mbps.

Pretty happy with the results. There's a lot less to tjnker with in the router settings tha my old netgear, but that might be for the best.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    I'm giving up on ASUS routers. Less than a year and the WAN port died again on me. ASUS support looked up my serial number and said you have to claim the warranty where you bought it. Best Buy support says you got to take it to a store for that.

• Options
    I recommend Netgear hardware. All my Netgear devices have been working well for me since I punted on a lackluster Asus router about 6 years ago

• Options
    Be aware that Netgear is pushing further from browser access and putting everything into an app instead. Fine for most people, but if you want any sort of granularity it's not a great thing.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    So my job has me with an apartment in Serbia, and I want to be able to run all of my stuff there through VPN for a number of reasons.

https://www.expressvpn.com/aircove

Went ahead and picked this guy up as the reviews seemed solid, and I already use ExpressVPN elsewhere. I'll report back if this router is any good.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Be aware that Netgear is pushing further from browser access and putting everything into an app instead. Fine for most people, but if you want any sort of granularity it's not a great thing.

I at first hated the app, but I found out I could register my parents Netgear router to it and reset / troubleshoot it completely remotely and that's been a godsend

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I'm thinking about taking my networking setup to the next level as 2.5gbps and 10gbps equipment is starting to filter down to my level.

My desktop computer currently has 5 spinning disks in it. I think that I'd like to go pretty minimal for my next build and move anything that doesn't need to be on a SSD to a NAS. So I'd like to do at least 2.5gbps between the desktop and the NAS. (I realize the likelihood that any of my existing disks saturating this link is nil, but still.)

I also want to break my network into separate components. I have a TPLink Archer A20 router currently. My thinking is that I'd like to convert that to an AP and have a separate switch and a small fanless PC running Linux act as the router.

So at any rate, are there any solid guides for this sort of deal out there? I tried searching for NAS advice and got a bunch of junk.

• Options
    swphreakswphreak Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

My success with trying to threaten ISPs with cancelling to get what I want has definitely gotten less common over the years. Last time I tried it, maybe six months ago, Charter could not have cared any less.

I recently gave T-Mobile 5G Home Internet a try and it was pretty darn good in my area. I got about 300-400 Mbps down, okay upload, and latency wasn't too bad. If Comcast ever pisses me off or does something really bad, I would absolutely switch to Tmo for home internet.

Assuming Comcast doesn't eventually buy them out. Comcast has tried to push hard for me to switch to Comcast mobile service (which is Tmobile with extra steps), but my family gets a first responder discount through tmobile so I'm definitely not doing that.

• Options
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    I'm thinking about taking my networking setup to the next level as 2.5gbps and 10gbps equipment is starting to filter down to my level.

My desktop computer currently has 5 spinning disks in it. I think that I'd like to go pretty minimal for my next build and move anything that doesn't need to be on a SSD to a NAS. So I'd like to do at least 2.5gbps between the desktop and the NAS. (I realize the likelihood that any of my existing disks saturating this link is nil, but still.)

I also want to break my network into separate components. I have a TPLink Archer A20 router currently. My thinking is that I'd like to convert that to an AP and have a separate switch and a small fanless PC running Linux act as the router.

So at any rate, are there any solid guides for this sort of deal out there? I tried searching for NAS advice and got a bunch of junk.

Your router should have a bridge or AP mode, unless you actually want a new AP. Look up vids about "Linux router" for that stuff.

For the NAS, look up guides like "DIY NAS" or similar. There are multiple options to choose from for software.

Can you just move the drives to the NAS and put new drives in your PC? That will certainly be quicker.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

So, the usual goto for building your own router is to use pfSense, either on a cheap desktop or a fanless NUC with two built in Ethernet ports.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    I have a Unifi U6 coming this week. I've got two AC Pros installed currently. I'm leaning toward replacing the upstairs unit for general better coverage, but I'm curious if maybe I should install it downstairs.

I assume the Wifi 6 or wtf it's called is basically short distance and our newest devices are downstairs. My wife works from the upstairs office but I'm nearly certain her laptop doesn't use Wifi 6 and I have a wired drop in that room.

Which location do you recommend?

• Options
    I just learned that Netgear expects people to buy new wifi routers every three years, which is bullshit.

I’ve had my Netgear Orbi setup for three years, and I actually liked it. It was practically set and forget. Only thing is, I remember reading about a recent vulnerability that was patched on the current gen of Orbi, and I don’t think I ever found out if my EoL setup was vulnerable as well (it didnt get a patch).

Since I now have devices that can actually use it, I was thinking of upgrading to wifi 6.

I’m currently researching Synology wifi routers. I’m already in the ecosystem due to my NAS, and I feel like Synology has done pretty well releasing security updates for their old stuff for longer than other companies.

Any other wifi routers I should look at that won’t need replacing in three years?

• Options
    Are you just saying that Netgear won't update firmware past 3 years? Because I'm using a Netgear R6790 and it's been rock solid for about 6 years

• Options

So, the usual goto for building your own router is to use pfSense, either on a cheap desktop or a fanless NUC with two built in Ethernet ports.

I actually started dabbling with overlay networks, and Tailscale was very quick and easy to get up and running? The other day I brought my iPad to work and SSH:d into my Mac at home and it worked like a charm. No VPN server or exposed ports on my router.

• Options
    Are you just saying that Netgear won't update firmware past 3 years? Because I'm using a Netgear R6790 and it's been rock solid for about 6 years

Yep, my Orbi model is EoL and hasn’t gotten.new firmware in awhile.

• Options
    Oh wow, I didn't realize Synology routers were so feature rich for the price. Those are pretty nice.

I hate to say this, but I've come to expect that there will be vulnerabilities in most consumer routers. You can get something that supports OpenWRT or run a pfSense router to get something truly secure, but it's a lot of work for most folks.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    zxo9o9txfqyd.png

I have a question.. This is my current setup. Was working great for about 3 months. Suddenly last night everything wired just couldn't connect to the net. I reset the EdgeRouter X and I was able to get all devices hooked up to it working again but when I hook the other switch up to the EdgeRouter using port eth4 over to the TP-Link everything hooked up to the EdgeRouter goes offline and none of the other devices work again. Any ideas? At this point I bought another TP-Link on Amazon and it won't be here until tomorrow. But any ideas what could have happened?

• Options
    Wait, why do you have the Google WiFi in there before the EdgeRouter?

• Options
    Edge router is set as a networking switch currently. Would it work better as a router? Meaning one of the ports from it go to Google WiFi which will give me my mesh network?

• Options
    Ideally, yes, but the problem is that you're in a double-NAT then, which makes a lot of things fall apart (mostly gaming online, especially with voice). The EdgeRouter X is a really nice router, though, and has a ton of features that make most consumer routers blush. If you had a different mesh system I'd say to set it to AP mode or Bridge mode but I don't think Google WiFi supports that.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Well right now almost all of my consoles are hardwired (they're plugged into the TP-Link on the diagram).

urahonky on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Well, I went a little crazy and upgraded to a whole UniFi setup. Dream Router as the brain, a couple of USW Lite 8-port switches (for hardwired devices and POE+ to power APs), and a pair of U6-Long Range APs. One of the switches and one AP is still coming in tomorrow, but I got the router and one AP set up today and it's kind of fantastic. Totally love the admin console for everything. Absolutely blows away the (halfway decent for consumer grade gear) TP-Link Deco app I was using before.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Ubiquiti stuff is expensive but there's a reason for it. It's like the happy medium between consumer and pro. The only thing that kept me from the Dream Router is that it doesn't support over 700Mbit connections. If I'm going to get into the ecosystem I'd want to jump straight into the Dream Machine Pro.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Ubiquiti stuff is expensive but there's a reason for it. It's like the happy medium between consumer and pro. The only thing that kept me from the Dream Router is that it doesn't support over 700Mbit connections. If I'm going to get into the ecosystem I'd want to jump straight into the Dream Machine Pro.

Ubiquiti gear is extremely cheap for what you get. It's why it's so popular.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    My wifi is full Ubiquiti and I love it. A bit of a pain to get set up at first but rock solid after.

Recently swapped one of my AC-Pros for a U6. Love it.

• Options
    My wifi is full Ubiquiti and I love it. A bit of a pain to get set up at first but rock solid after.

Recently swapped one of my AC-Pros for a U6. Love it.

I've been waffling back and forth between Ubiquiti and Omada for the house, trying to figure out which one I'll prefer. Leaning toward Ubiquiti but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Also thinking I might go with the U6-Wall units so I have less wires to pull like a lazy ass. :p

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Finished my whole setup, except I have one AP running off wireless mesh because I have to get a new masonry bit to drill through some brick to run one last ethernet cable. But even with one running wirelessly like that, my network performance is fantastic. Those LR access points are no joke, either. I can be in the basement and stay connected to my second floor AP and still keep a pretty solid connection. I also actually get a bit of service in the back yard now where I used to get basically nothing (brick exterior walls kill signal), but mostly that just makes me want to add another outdoor AP since the process is so painless with UniFi.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I'm looking to upgrade my current setup since Xfinity is now offering up to 2Gbs in my area.

At the moment, I'm running a TP-Link Archer C2300 and an Arris Surfboard SB6190

For modem I figure I'd get an Arris Surfboard S33 which I think can do 2 Gbs? (at least 1.2 Gbs, but I keep seeing conflicting stuff), but I'm not sure what to do on the router front.

I don't have anything that supports anything Wifi 6 or 6E/7 (AFAIK) at the moment, I don't have any issues with streaming services atm (I don't do any 4K content) or streaming from my Plex NAS, I don't have any issues playing games on my PC's Wifi (other than occasional hiccups that could be anything, not necessarily anything in the local networking). Is it worth getting a router that supports any of those expanded Wifi ranges now, or just getting something that'd be a solid upgrade over the C2300? Or just don't even mess with what's working until down the road? It's kind of annoying TP-Link's specs on some of these routers now don't even tell you the CPU specs anymore, so it's hard to tell if what you're getting is actually more powerful or just has better wifi.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    That modem should do up to 3.5Gbps but that's going to depend on Comcast. Last I knew they only allowed their super high speeds and symmetrical data if you rent their gateway. Gonna have to check with them on that one.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    That modem should do up to 3.5Gbps but that's going to depend on Comcast. Last I knew they only allowed their super high speeds and symmetrical data if you rent their gateway. Gonna have to check with them on that one.

I was only planning on upping to a 1gb plan, so it should be okay I'd hope (it'd actually save me some money over my current plan). Figures they screw you unless you pony up for the equipment rentals...

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    That's the big reason I switched to fiber.

Well that and finally being able to stop giving Comcast money.