As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fitness and Weight Management] Let's crush some 2022 goals!

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

I should have known that there was a thread for you to document all your two wheeled injuries and misadventures.

(<3)

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    About 2 weeks ago, I got back to working out on the elliptical bike. When I was done, I noticed the front part of my left foot was really sore. I attributed it to putting too much weight on the ball of my foot, being overweight, and not working out for a while.

Decided to power through it the next day and worked out again. Had some pain, but then it went away. The next day however, I started having a lot of pain when I put weight on my foot. Walking was a chore and I had a bit of a limp.

I stopped working out and have been trying to minimize my movements. I'm stilling feeling some pain however and I'm starting to get worried. Combine that with the frustration of not being able to work out and I'm getting frustrated.

So, two questions; 1) has anyone experienced this type of injury before? If so, what did you do to recover and how long did it take? and 2) What sort of exercises/activities can I do that don't require me putting weight on my foot? I was thinking sit-ups and weights, but I'd love other options.

Thanks!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    About 2 weeks ago, I got back to working out on the elliptical bike. When I was done, I noticed the front part of my left foot was really sore. I attributed it to putting too much weight on the ball of my foot, being overweight, and not working out for a while.

Decided to power through it the next day and worked out again. Had some pain, but then it went away. The next day however, I started having a lot of pain when I put weight on my foot. Walking was a chore and I had a bit of a limp.

I stopped working out and have been trying to minimize my movements. I'm stilling feeling some pain however and I'm starting to get worried. Combine that with the frustration of not being able to work out and I'm getting frustrated.

So, two questions; 1) has anyone experienced this type of injury before? If so, what did you do to recover and how long did it take? and 2) What sort of exercises/activities can I do that don't require me putting weight on my foot? I was thinking sit-ups and weights, but I'd love other options.

Thanks!

i'd get an x-ray to make sure you don't have a stress fracture. proper diagnosis is really going to drive your next steps (literally and figuratively).

your feet are your base. most weight bearing exercises are going to require some type of bracing from your feet unless you are on a machine (and even then...)

best bet i would think would be light swimming if that's possible.

don't work thru pain in your feet. get that checked out.

my 2c (for what it's worth).

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    Unbelievably sick trip (still can't believe I got a classic fontainebleau 7A done)

Going back in autumn, definitely got some target projects! Also going to go to Albarracin soon ideally...

Solar on
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    And here I am waiting for the snow to melt out so I can actually get on rock again. On the positive side, booked a 3 day guide thing in August to learn how to lead trad, so that should be fun. Now to spend spring and summer getting strong on sport routes so I don't embarrass myself.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I had my first session with failing sets since getting back into the gym a couple of months ago. I'm not quite back to previous bests but everything is definitely hard again.

Word on the street is that Burden of Dreams has been repeated...

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

The latest Marathon Pour Tous challenge is to run a sub-25 5k. I suspect that unlike the 10k in 50 minutes, they’ll be leaving this one as is. Anyhow, I was feeling kind of crappy today, for various reasons. Yesterday I maybe slightly overdid it on dumbbell deadlifts and squats, today I decided to eat a lot of junk food (pizza, danishes, turnovers), and I’ve just been feeling blah. I had planned for a long run today, but decided to instead take a shot at the challenge.

Well. New PB 5k (22:24) and new PB mile (6:43). It was an out and back, so no net elevation change, though there was a total of 50m of climbing on the route. I’m feeling more smashed and bleh than I did before I set out, but it’s a slightly better kind of smashed and bleh.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    Solar wrote: »
    Word on the street is that Burden of Dreams has been repeated...

Yep, Will Bosi. Though I hear he's so strong it counts as an aid climb.

In other news I sent an outdoor 5.9+ in my first session of the season (along with a bunch of 5.6-5.8s). Nothing like pulling yourself over a bulge using a quartz finger pocket.
    I really need to work on my route finding....

Bosi is the besti

What is 5.9+ in non American?

5c/6a, so easier stuff. Given how unrefined my technique is on actual rock, it bodes well to doing things in the 6a/6b range, which is a huge inventory of the classics here.

• IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    I've got a marathon on Saturday, @Kyougu knows this one well - lots of elevation gain and loss. I'm struggling though, my last long run was a couple weeks ago, 20 miles and lots of elevation, but my hip flexors hurt for a week after that, then the tension shifted to my quads. Now they're still a bit tight, but I'm worried I've overdone it and shouldn't run the full marathon and drop back to the half instead.

Mostly they're not all that tight, so maybe I'm just overthinking it. Nerves are really getting to me in the week leading up to the full run.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Oh man, that's a tough choice @Icemopper and totally get why you're thinking about it. I would not want to do Blue Ridge injured or in pain. Hopefully some rest from tapper will have you feeling better!

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    What i wouldn’t give for a hole in the wall gym.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    My climbing gym added this really fun lead route on their arch.

It's a 5.12 which is above my lead level (even considering that I think their setting can be a bit soft) but the approach was so workable that I was tempted. Watched some others take some falls and saw it was pretty safe, do decided to try it.

bq9e8ub2dup8.jpg

The climb up the actual arch feels like a high 5.10 then staglite move is really just a swing monkey bar style. More mentally hard doing it so high than anything else.

The next move on the 2nd staglite it's where the challenge starts and that's what I'm working on right now.

Kyougu wrote: »
    Oh man, that's a tough choice @Icemopper and totally get why you're thinking about it. I would not want to do Blue Ridge injured or in pain. Hopefully some rest from tapper will have you feeling better!

Yeah, I think I've got until Friday to drop down to the half or defer to next year. I'm definitely overthinking it and thinking that maybe I'm underthinking it. My main goal is to get through the race without injury, but it's hard convincing my brain of that.

It isn't exactly pain that I'm experiencing, just a persistent tightness in the quad and a bit in the hamstring, all on my right leg. I'll keep taking it easy and see how I feel on an easy run Thursday.

I've never run the half Blue Ridge in person, so at least that would be a lot of fun, and my sister-in-law is doing that distance so I could try and tag along with her!

Good luck on your race this weekend @Icemopper !

Thanks! I've made the tough decision to pull back to the half, my hip is still pretty damn tight and I don't want to exacerbate the issue and spend months in rehab. Happy I've already done the full on the blue ridge twice so I feel like I've already checked that box, but I'll probably still try for it again next year.

I learn a lot each year of running, I've only been doing this for about 3.5 years, so I'm not stressing about pulling back from the full and trying to view it as just a step in a very long road ahead. I want to be healthy and fit for years to come, and that doesn't always mean pushing myself into pain and injury.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    First time back in the gym since the start of the pandemic. My arms are now noodles. Oof.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Visiting Japan right now. It’s awesome here, but we’re having to do a lot of walking and I hate it. Like, walking sucks so much when you’re overweight. My back, shins, and feet are killing me.

I can’t do this shit anymore. When I get home, I gotta find a way to lose weight and keep it off. Ugh!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    My 'crash diet 10 lbs then stabilize' thing sounds dumb but is working for weight loss, but I still want to get some exercise in, even if it's a trivial amount. But there's nothing around here that I enjoy doing that's active and exercising to exercise is still extremely difficult for me, mentally.

Anyone had success getting any kind of workout with like, under desk bikes? If I could convert my 'fidget at my desk' energy into something productive that would be nice.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Just be careful with crash diets that you're not losing too much weight too fast, or you're likely to lose more muscle mass (which is harder to put back on, lowers your metabolic rate, and makes it easier to put the weight back on)

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    You're also likely to think the diet is more effective than it is since a drastic calorie cut will always cause a sharp drop in weight just from carb depletion and the resulting drop in water weight. Then you eat a bagel and gain 5 pounds.

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I'm down 30 pounds total and have been at this weight for months.

If anything I should be losing more or losing more often than I have been.

• The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Back in my hometown for a half marathon this weekend. The watch training between the Shamrock half and this one has been very weird - almost all base running, peak week was reworked daily since it felt I was sleeping poorly - so I have no real understanding or guess of how it's going to go.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
    Well I'm super glad I slid back to the half marathon after all. The race got a huge amount of rain and lightning about at my mile 7, and it was cancelled. They said we could continue at our own risk, so we did. Felt great the whole way, ignored the pace and just had a lot of fun.

5 stars, will run again.

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Visiting Japan right now. It’s awesome here, but we’re having to do a lot of walking and I hate it. Like, walking sucks so much when you’re overweight. My back, shins, and feet are killing me.

I can’t do this shit anymore. When I get home, I gotta find a way to lose weight and keep it off. Ugh!

How far are y’all walking compared to what you normally walk?

By the time you get home, it may not be such a big deal to keep the walking up. Maybe look at your shoes though ?

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock

By the time you get home, it may not be such a big deal to keep the walking up. Maybe look at your shoes though ?

Well, I don’t walk much at all normally, so this was definitely a massive shock to the system. On average, I only walk 3-4K steps per day, while in Japan we’ve done 23k, 20k, 26k, 13k, 26k, 14k, and 18k so far. It got better after the 13k day since my body was adjusting and that day was a 6-hour visit to a hot spring. Today was only 18k, but half of that was climbing up and down a massive amount of steps at a shrine in Kyoto. Wiped us both out around 3pm, thus the lower step count.

I brought inserts for the trip but hadn’t broken them in yet. Suffice it to say they are broken in now. Still gonna look into new shoes when I get home, but the reality is nothing is gonna matter more than simply losing 30-50 pounds. Last time I checked, I was like 230lbs, with most of the weight in my gut, butt, and thighs. I gotta get in a diet that works and won’t cause bounce back.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I saw a picture of my brother (we don't see each other in person much) this weekend and it really made me sad.

We're twins and both of us always struggled with our weights growing up and into our twenties, which is when I start focusing on it more and lead to where I am now.

He has struggled more, and eventually just kinda gave up and instead put on more weight.

I knew all this but I was still really surprised by just how much hes put on. This has nothing to do with aesthetics either, my concerns it's 100% health related. And yes, you can't judge health based on a picture but I know his habits well enough to make a decent guess.

We're both just entered our forties and I know issues he'll have will just get worse.

I also know that this isn't something I can really broach or talk to him about so I can just hope for the best.

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular

Well, I don’t walk much at all normally, so this was definitely a massive shock to the system. On average, I only walk 3-4K steps per day, while in Japan we’ve done 23k, 20k, 26k, 13k, 26k, 14k, and 18k so far. It got better after the 13k day since my body was adjusting and that day was a 6-hour visit to a hot spring. Today was only 18k, but half of that was climbing up and down a massive amount of steps at a shrine in Kyoto. Wiped us both out around 3pm, thus the lower step count.

I brought inserts for the trip but hadn’t broken them in yet. Suffice it to say they are broken in now. Still gonna look into new shoes when I get home, but the reality is nothing is gonna matter more than simply losing 30-50 pounds. Last time I checked, I was like 230lbs, with most of the weight in my gut, butt, and thighs. I gotta get in a diet that works and won’t cause bounce back.

That is a lot of walking! That’s impressive, and it would for sure leave me exhausted to log that much in a day, plus repeating it.

If I can make a suggestion, your diet doesn’t need to be overly complicated if you evaluate where you might be getting empty calories in and can adjust, plus finding time to keep your steps in the 8-10k range. I’m a big proponent of lifting weights also, but believe small incremental changes lead to long term results.

Like for me, empty calories are when I may crush a bag of sea salt and vinegar chips when I know I’d be better off with a slice of cheese, pepperoni, and some nuts or a couple hard boiled eggs with hot sauce and nuts to satisfy the crunchy craving and get a more nutrient dense snack in.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    I admit, I’m really bad at knowing what’s good and bad. The obvious stuff like sweets are easy enough to understand, but then you get into X or Y food is good or bad depending on your diet goals. Like, “don’t eat eggs!” Vs “eat all the eggs!” type of stuff.

My best guess is to not worry about that stuff too much and focus on calorie counts first then tweak after weight loss slows down. Maybe?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Calories are the first and most important factor, everything after that is details and fine tuning. Track what you eat accurately, gradually reduce your intake until you're losing a pound each week at most, take a long term view and be patient and you'll be fine.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    The good/bad food dichotomy isn't ideal in terms of managing or preventing eating disorders; food is food! Sometimes you want to crush a bag of chips and that's fine. Diets where you don't eat "bad" foods on an exclusionary basis make it harder to avoid binging if you slip.

If you're aiming to cut weight, then ideally you want to find a calorie goal that maxes out around 2% body weight loss at most (much further and you lose muscle mass (thereby lowering metabolism, making it likely you regain fat)) and eat a fair amount of protein to boost satiety and muscle maintenance.

The unfortunate truth though is that losing body fat doesn't keep it off unless you make lifestyle changes. If you go back to eating as you did before, the weight is just going to come back. Yo-yo dieting mostly just leads to muscle loss and fat regain. You'll want to get to that new weight and then figure out maintenance calories/protein intake to stay at your goal.

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    You definitely don't need to get too in the weeds unless you have very specific goals/are a high level athlete/have some kind of underlying disease state that you need to plan your diet around.

Focus on protein (mostly lean) and stuff that gets you fiber: fruit, veg, beans, seeds, lentils, whole grains. Eat a variety of stuff. Don't drink too many calories.

My one saving grace is that I don’t drink anything alcoholic and hardly any sodas. I’d say about 90% of my fluid intake is water.

I shudder to think how big I’d be if I did drink….

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

My own weight loss was prompted by travel experiences. My favourite things while travel is just walking around beautiful old cities and towns, climbing church steeples and towers, seeing museums, and wandering around palaces and castles. I never drive anywhere, and always walk or take the bus or train to get places. I typically average 20k to 30k steps a day on vacation, and as I put on weight it became increasingly painful and difficult. After losing weight, I went to France in 2021 and walked over 35k steps a day, topping out at over 60k steps in a day, and I felt absolutely fine. I was even still doing my morning runs - running down the middle of an empty Boulevard de Strasbourg at 5am is one of my all time favourite travel memories.

The biggest single piece of advice I’d give is to keep in mind that there’s no one-size-fits-all for any part of weight loss and maintenance. There are general principles that are worth learning about and understanding, like macronutrients in general. Or how most people (but not everyone!) tend to find protein to be the most satiating macronutrient, and how protein is important for building, maintaining, and retaining muscle mass. Or that you probably shouldn’t try to lose any more than 1% of your weight per week. But there are no absolutes, and what works well for some people doesn’t necessarily work well for others. There is no “right” diet or exercise plan, only the lifestyle that works best for the individual. And even that can and will and should change over time.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I got back on my bike for a club ride this morning because I've missed cycling so much. It's been great getting upper body stronk for outrigger race training (this is the race video - we came in 8th, which was a big deal for our first overseas women's crew and for all but one crew member's first big water race), but I also dropped yoga completely due to my ankle injury and group rides were always scheduled for the same days as race training, so I left that off too. And I've terribly missed them both.

Anyway hahaha my cycling leg power is now garbage

But I'll try to balance Friday social rides with three-a-week race training for our next OC race in Hawaii in September and see how long I can keep it going before we really ramp up and have to stop having non-outrigger types of fun. The ankle is better enough now that I'm also picking up a once-weekly yoga class.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    I went climbing yesterday with a friend who I used to climb with regularly but we hadn't climbed together in a while, and not since I lost a lot of my weight.

I always been a pretty okay climber regardless of my weight, but obviously having less weight to pull up the wall really helps. I also climb much more and with my strength workouts/running I become a much stronger climber overall, specially technique wise.

I think my friend expected us to be around the same level (he was usually a bit better than I was), so he jumped on a route I I had just finished. After struggling midway through he came back down and told me "Man, you're a strong climber" almost in surprise.

I'm finally one of those people that makes climbing look easy!