As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

"No More Heroes" Out now! - "If I become #1, will you do it with me?"

• bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I don't get people who turn the remote speaker off. Sure it's bad quality, but I can't imagine being so offended by that that it actually detracts from your experience playing a game.

bruin on
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    bruin wrote: »
    I don't get people who turn the remote speaker off. Sure it's bad quality, but I can't imagine being so offended by that that it actually detracts from your experience playing a game.

I turned it of for TP since the hookshot sounds better coming from the TV than the wiimote. I had to replay the first level of NMH because I had it off.

JJ on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    JJ wrote: »

I turned it of for TP since the hookshot sounds better coming from the TV than the wiimote. I had to replay the first level of NMH because I had it off.
    The main thing is that since pretty much every game (I would have said every game before I encountered no more heroes) redirects the wiimote sound to the tv speakers, where it sounds much better when the wiimote sound is turned off, why would anyone choose the inferior wiimote speaker? Even if the bad sound quality doesn't detract much, why go for inferior over superior?

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

The main thing is that since pretty much every game (I would have said every game before I encountered no more heroes) redirects the wiimote sound to the tv speakers, where it sounds much better when the wiimote sound is turned off, why would anyone choose the inferior wiimote speaker? Even if the bad sound quality doesn't detract much, why go for inferior over superior?
    Because you are supposed to take advantage of the nifty feature for better imersion instead of doing it the way you always have before?

Bedlam on
  • Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Because the wiimote is a fucking phone?

Cosmic Sombrero on
    edited February 2008
    Bedlam wrote: »

Because you are supposed to take advantage of the nifty feature for better imersion instead of doing it the way you always have before?
    just because something is new, doesn't necessarily make it better, as the wiimote speaker has shown us all =p I really don't see how sound full of crackles/pops/static is more immersive than the clarity you'll get out of your TV's speakers :| as somone else mentioned, "HOLY SHIT THE HOOKSHOT SOUNDS LIKE IT'S COMING OVER A BROkEN AM RADIO WITH NO SIGNAL QUALITY! AWESOME" queue the immersion

taliosfalcon on
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Considering it's a voice coming out of the remote, it's actually not all that bad in No More Heroes.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It adds to the immersion in NMH.

DouglasDanger on
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I like the Wiimote speaker, even in general. Yes it's a pretty crappy quality, but I'd still rather have that than just more sound out of my speakers.

The hookshot was particularly bad though.

Cervetus on
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If you turn it down though you won't notice the quality so much, but it still adds the effect. I think in general it works well. I dig it. It gives you that extra sense of immersion. In fact, I recommend everyone play Wii Tennis with the tv muted at least once.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hah. Just got the mk. 2.
    Was I the only one who audibly went "holy shit" the first time it showed the new horizontal finisher?

Jragghen on
  • DeI2anGeDDeI2anGeD Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Holy shit. This game is absolutely batshit awesome.:!!:

DeI2anGeD on
    321429-1.png

-PSN&360&steam: dei2anged
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So if you wear a Destroyman shirt when fighting Destroyman, you should rightly feel cheated that he doesn't even notice.

I wore that shirt for him. :(

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Mega PlayboyMega Playboy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Is it me or Holly Summer is way harder in bitter mode? I had to use the invincible charge attack to dodge the near constant missile swarms.

Mega Playboy on
    Trying to help out my step dad check out his youtube channel
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Is it me or Holly Summer is way harder in bitter mode? I had to use the invincible charge attack to dodge the near constant missile swarms.

If you run in a zig-zag pattern they're pretty easy to dodge

bruin on
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Just bought this game yesterday. Hoping it'll keep me occupied until braw.

Currently Rank 8 and still in awe at how awesome this game is.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I had a hard time with Holly Summers on Sweet, actually. I barely beat her on my third try. But then, I guess I just suck. Also, I started playing like a month ago, playing about once a week, so I've forgotten most of the controls. Is there a way to block other than targeting someone or standing still? I feel like there is, I've just forgotten.

Terrendos on
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Bedlam wrote: »

just because something is new, doesn't necessarily make it better, as the wiimote speaker has shown us all =p I really don't see how sound full of crackles/pops/static is more immersive than the clarity you'll get out of your TV's speakers :| as somone else mentioned, "HOLY SHIT THE HOOKSHOT SOUNDS LIKE IT'S COMING OVER A BROkEN AM RADIO WITH NO SIGNAL QUALITY! AWESOME" queue the immersion
    Well for me it adds something new and is probably my favorite feature of the wii controler.

But you sound like way more of a technophile than me too. So I dont think we'll ever see eye to eye on this one.

Bedlam on
  • My Name Is LukeMy Name Is Luke Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm about to playthrough again on Bitter to tide me over until Brawl, maybe I'll try and get the Infinate Battery for MK 3 if I ever have enough patience to do side jobs.

My Name Is Luke on
    edited February 2008
    I would like to see a video of someone beating this game with 0 upgrades (except the forced vitality upgrade).

Mblackwell on

• bruceskibruceski Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Hah. Just got the mk. 2.
    Was I the only one who audibly went "holy shit" the first time it showed the new horizontal finisher?

I saved my game right there when I first opened the thing, given how small the upgrade was from the Blood Berry to mk. 1.

bruceski on
    WoW - Baelgun server
    Beohrn, 70 tauren druid
    random alts.

Wii number -- 0277 0746 9561 0171
    --Metroid Prime 3
    edited February 2008
    I have a complaint about this game actually, let me know if this changes when you get to the end, but it would be nice to have some way to skip to all the boss fights... there's not enough saves to save before each boss and just play them. Kinda sad.

Mblackwell on

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, a Boss rush would have been really nice to have.

Speed Racer on
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Terrendos wrote: »
    I had a hard time with Holly Summers on Sweet, actually. I barely beat her on my third try. But then, I guess I just suck. Also, I started playing like a month ago, playing about once a week, so I've forgotten most of the controls. Is there a way to block other than targeting someone or standing still? I feel like there is, I've just forgotten.

She has a habit of spamming that missile attack, and the bullshit of it is that she's invincible starting it, it's un-interruptible, and when she's finally vulnerable again, you're too busy dodging missiles. What you need to do is time it so that you can run toward her as part of your dodge, and then hopefully start wailing on her as the last missiles slam into the ground.

Metalbourne on
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I mean really, they could have at least told you, "Hey, Turn you wii remote speaker on."

Gorilla Salad on
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I mean really, they could have at least told you, "Hey, Turn you wii remote speaker on."

It's just a gimmick, and that dumb bitch is just using her looks to prattle on about meaningless bullshit anyway. I'm surprised that when I turn my wii remote speaker on that shit doesn't ooze out of the speaker holes like some kind of sick Playdough wacky pasta maker.

Metalbourne on
    edited February 2008
    I've never heard of anyone turning it OFF until now...

Mblackwell on

• keroppileekeroppilee Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I just finished the game today. I enjoyed the gameplay, though it was a little bit repetetive. The story needs work. Such great characters but in the end the thing makes little sense. I get that the game is kinda tongue in cheek and tributes lots of game/movie cliches but it just wasnt satisfying to me. Too used to everything being nicely wrapped up in my endings.

keroppilee on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Well normally when you turn down the volume on your wii remote speaker, the sound that normally comes out of it is turned up on the TV speakers. So even if your wiimote speaker is turned off, you should still be able to hear the audio from the TV....

most of the time anwyay.

slash000 on
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well, it's hard to criticize something with "I'm accustomed to other stuff and this wasn't that other stuff." That's, like, extra relative.

Just beat Mild. Only boss fight I had trouble with in the whole game was rank 1... I'm sure Bitter will learn my ass to be an ass.

I really like the real ending, but I hit that before just the ending... I hope I can still see that one.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    I couldn't stand it when I was playing TP. Just so incredibly fucking annoying. I had to turn it off. Never thought to turn it back on.

Gorilla Salad on
    edited February 2008
    I couldn't stand it when I was playing TP. Just so incredibly fucking annoying. I had to turn it off. Never thought to turn it back on.

the once-wiimote noises now come out of the TV speakers, though, right? I'm like 90 percent sure that's how it works. You should be missing anything by turning off the wiimote speaker; rather, it should still be coming from the TV.

although for NMH, you really should turn on the wiimote speaker to get the 'phone calls.' :P

slash000 on
  • Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    slash000 wrote: »

the once-wiimote noises now come out of the TV speakers, though, right? I'm like 90 percent sure that's how it works. You should be missing anything by turning off the wiimote speaker; rather, it should still be coming from the TV.

although for NMH, you really should turn on the wiimote speaker to get the 'phone calls.' :P
    The phone calls are dead silence if you have your remote off. I didn't have mine on for the very first call, either, and had to just wander around until she finished. And the bitch is that the game disables the Home button during them, so you can't fix it until you've already missed the whole thing.

Blitz Rawket on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

Evidently NMH doesn't play the remote sounds on the TV if you have the speaker turned off.

Speed Racer on
    edited February 2008
    Kainy wrote: »
    I really like the real ending, but I hit that before just the ending... I hope I can still see that one.

Actually it's just a truncated real ending except that the credits are done differently.

Cervetus on
    edited February 2008

The phone calls are dead silence if you have your remote off. I didn't have mine on for the very first call, either, and had to just wander around until she finished. And the bitch is that the game disables the Home button during them, so you can't fix it until you've already missed the whole thing.
    For the first 4 battles I was convinced they just did it as a shitty way to hide loading, like the elevators in mass effect, only with dead silence instead of dialog D:

taliosfalcon on
    edited February 2008
    My question is, why aren't you guys playing with subtitles? Subtitles make every game better.

Cervetus on
  • ThatOneYoYoGuyThatOneYoYoGuy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Evidently NMH doesn't play the remote sounds on the TV if you have the speaker turned off.

There's an option in the options screen that says "Wii Speaker" or something to that effect. Set that to "off" and you should hear the phone calls through your TV Speakers.

ThatOneYoYoGuy on
    edited February 2008
    Oh, wow. I just assumed that every Wii game played the wiimote sounds from the TV when you turned it down from the controller. I guess not.

Good to see that the option is there in the game, though, for those who don't want wii remote sounds.

Personally I rather like the wii remote sounds in each of my games that utilize it.

slash000 on
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This phone call thing just baffles me. I mean, some of the calls are fairly long... over a minute in some cases, iirc. So you guys would just sit there in silence for some random amount of time, not being able to do anything, and you assumed this was normal? What did you think was going on?

I'm not saying you guys are dumb or anything, it just surprises me that someone could go through several bosses without ever knowing what the purpose of that whole section was for before each boss fight.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
This discussion has been closed.