As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Birds In Your Area

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin

Birds In Your Area!

Penny Arcade - Comic - Birds In Your Area

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

• Options
    Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    A dinosaur is its own reward, sure… but I think there's no denying that the app would be impoved by giving the birds stats.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    The app they are talking about is Merlin (iOS/Android). It is super cool. If you have even a passing interest in birds, I recommend it. I used the sound identification all the time. You just record the cheeps and it'll tell you what is out there. In case you don't know, a Merlin is a kind of small falcon.

Also, while all the bird names in the strip are made up, they really don't need to be. There is no actual shortage of rude bird names. Like the following mug illustrates.
    p6c8marpife5.png
    zgyzjhzpr0s4.png

• Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    A dinosaur is its own reward, sure… but I think there's no denying that the app would be impoved by giving the birds stats.

Will there be green and red arrows involved with these stats?

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    GrendusGrendus Registered User regular

While you just know some kid would cheat by playing Ostrich noises on their computer or something, a Pokemon Go style game that uses the phone's mic with birdsong to populate the area around you to capture and battle would be an awesome way to get kids into nature.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular

Birds already have stats! Weight, wingspan, unladen airspeed!

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Man, I wish there were Crested Fuckworths where I live

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »

Don't forget sass.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    I've been using Merlin since forever, it's really good!

Usually I just ID birds by picking colors and size, but I have had success using the camera and mic as well.

Agentflit on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Any time bird noises come up I'm reminded of Green Wing

https://youtu.be/Ctgt2mkTlyg

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Johnny17Johnny17 Registered User regular
    I assume the app maker charted every bird and their individual sound on this planet and thus through the chirps submitted always knows where you are.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Johnny17 wrote: »
    I assume the app maker charted every bird and their individual sound on this planet and thus through the chirps submitted always knows where you are.

Sadly no, it uses your phone location to narrow down the set of birds to search through. But like a lot of data, given enough bird samples, you could narrow down a users location pretty far.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular

"Just like sonar on a submarine, Mr. Wayne."

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2023

"Just like sonar on a submarine, Mr. Wayne."

"Some birbs just want to watch the world burn."

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Delzhand wrote: »

But what about Attack Power, or Magic Resistance?!? Or Spirit, whatever that does.

• Options
    Emperor MegamanEmperor Megaman Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    Also, while all the bird names in the strip are made up, they really don't need to be. There is no actual shortage of rude bird names. Like the following mug illustrates.
    p6c8marpife5.png
    zgyzjhzpr0s4.png

While the name they came up with are funny, i was surprised they didn't pick the opportunity to use "Tit".
    Of course, maybe theses birds just don't live in their area and Tycho did'nt want to betray ornithological exactitude.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    p6c8marpife5.png
    zgyzjhzpr0s4.png

While the name they came up with are funny, i was surprised they didn't pick the opportunity to use "Tit".
    Of course, maybe theses birds just don't live in their area and Tycho did'nt want to betray ornithological exactitude.

I think it's quite possible that Mike did that screen entirely on his own. That happens some time when they have a script that says something vague about the art and then Mike creates it.

• Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited April 2023

Well there is always this, if you crave a bird game:

pic4437781.jpg

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    LttlefootLttlefoot Registered User regular
    Board games need to be so mechanically heavy these days to justify the price tag. I'd like to show Wingspan to my wannabe-ornithologist wife but she's not a board gamer and I can barely remember the rules myself

• Options
    And yet, in the world of hobby boardgaming, Wingspan is a medium weight game.

• Options
    edited May 2023
    The gist of the game is that you don‘t simply play your strategy (there is not much you can do to interrupt another players) but also look out what the other player is doing and harmonize your deck to the cards of other players. While I am not to big of a fan of „do / have xy and get z score - the mechanics are cleverly interwoven.

Long winded explanation:
    As far as I remember you draw a deck of cards which determine some of your goals (collect these kind of birds, with these attributes etc). Birds have three types of habitat (wood, meadow, sea) having more of the same kind entitle you to a certain amount of resources and actions you can use during a given turn. Then you can have bird cards which give you ongoing effects, additional resources, or one-time effects when played - very often - and that’s important even on another players turn.

There is also a digital version which is often on sale. So, back to the bird talk ;)

Edit: I think it’s important to have board games which aren’t that heavy mechanics wise - if the play material is good and the mechanics fun it checks out for me. In my life I have time constraints (finding time to come together, explaining the game / reading up rules) and not everyone has the mindset to play a 6h session of twilight struggle. Easier games expand the pool of people I can play with and give a good excuse to come together and engage in a fun activity.

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2023
    Lttlefoot wrote: »
    Board games need to be so mechanically heavy these days to justify the price tag. I'd like to show Wingspan to my wannabe-ornithologist wife but she's not a board gamer and I can barely remember the rules myself

And my grumpy self really dislikes games that have you tear up stuff so you only can play once.

Khoo's strategy was an exception of course.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Wingspan is still a great game if you want to introduce someone to hobby board games, because your decision space at any given time is limited, and if you're not overly concerned with winning, the game is pretty forgiving: you can't really make mistakes that make it impossible to progress.

• Options
    Wingspan (especially without the expansions) is a game where I feel like "this isn't really that good of a game, but I still want to play it when anyone asks." It's always a little disappointing that the ideal play in around the last three turns of the game is to just lay eggs.

I mostly just like looking at the birds.

• Options
    Dratatoo wrote: »

Alas, unless the game can tell me how high a bluejay's Critical Rate is, I don't think it'll stratch my very specific itch.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    The app they are talking about is Merlin (iOS/Android). It is super cool. If you have even a passing interest in birds, I recommend it. I used the sound identification all the time. You just record the cheeps and it'll tell you what is out there. In case you don't know, a Merlin is a kind of small falcon.

p6c8marpife5.png
    zgyzjhzpr0s4.png

Hey I just wanted to say thanks for this. I told my SIL about it, she put it on her phone, and when she and my brother took my nephews for their mandatory fun sunday morning walk, she was able to identify and explain so many birds and now the boys think she's a bird genius.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular

pic4437781.jpg

The first time I played this the Bush Tit used its ability to hide the Woodcock under it.

An actual thing that happened.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    I wonder if this app includes the majestic sound of the Artic Tern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBzwv057GPs

• Options
    edited May 2023
    Aegeri wrote: »

pic4437781.jpg

The first time I played this the Bush Tit used its ability to hide the Woodcock under it.

I am pretty sure the makes of the game made sure such occasions could happen ;) . I envy you English(speaking)-men of your rude bird names. Doesn't work out in German.

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

pic4437781.jpg

I am pretty sure the makes of the game made sure such occasions could happen ;) . I envy you English(speaking)-men of your rude bird names. Doesn't work out in German.

It could if you tried. You just haven't tried hard enough.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

p6c8marpife5.png
    zgyzjhzpr0s4.png

I dunno, I kind of like Crested Fuckworth. It's the kind of name I'd have liked to have given one of my cockatiels.