As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Policies & Procedures Brainstorming Thread

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited December 2006
    To be fair one guy in that exact thread lost his shit because I said the expansion sounded dull.

Tube on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2006
    I was thinking about posting something negative in the Firefly MMO thread, but that's not a slice of nerd rage I really want to deal with right now.

A duck! on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    It's that aura, too, that you are going to lambasted for a negative opinion that is an unfortunate byproduct of the way certain people act.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Another thing I absolutely hate, though I'm probably in a minority, are spoiler memes. "Aeris dies" is one thing...that particular meme has spread to everyone everywhere by now, I think. But "Hermoine dies" and everything else is just really obnoxious. Not sure what could be done about that, it's really just a personal gripe.

Drez on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Drez wrote:
    Another thing I absolutely hate, though I'm probably in a minority, are spoiler memes. "Aeris dies" is one thing...that particular meme has spread to everyone everywhere by now, I think. But "Hermoine dies" and everything else is just really obnoxious. Not sure what could be done about that, it's really just a personal gripe.
    She dies?

Or is that just a guess thing they're doing?

JJ on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    JJ wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    She dies?

It's just them being annoying. I really shouldn't have posted it either - I wasn't thinking. I don't know if she dies - I don't think so - but as you can see it causes confusion and tension and it's really just obnoxious.

Drez on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2006
    Man... what's this about Rank being anti-wii?

He's one of the biggest Wii fans in SE.

He and Defender have argued for pages about it (though that's more because of Defender, but still)

Really. I wasn't around when this happened, and I'm begining to think I'm glad I wasn't.

You misread Drez's comment. I wasn't anti-Wii, but I went into the Wii thread and talked about how I got to play on a system before release, because my brother has worked for NoA for years and had what he referred to as a "beta system". I mentioned this and was pretty well roasted as a liar by a few bad apples, and it turned into a big dramatic ordeal that really should have died right after it happened. Unfortunately, it has been pointed at as an example of how some of the megathreads can be hotbeds of xenophobic fanboyism, as it eventually boiled down to a big shouting match about "how bad G&T is blah blah blah".

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Aroduc wrote:
    Dagrabbit wrote:
    As personal point, I came across this in the Okami thread. I had maybe a dozen posts over the course of the first 50 some pages of the thread. I thought the game was fine, but pointed out some flaws. I wanted to talk about those flaws, see if I was looking at that part of the game wrong, and just talk about a game I was playing. However, I was accused of spamming the thread with negative comments, people asking why I was bothering to post if I hated the game so much, and generally being slightly harassed for not even having a resoundingly negative viewpoint, just pointing out that Okami wasn't the greatest game ever.

That vibe coming from G&T makes me not want to post very often. I have thick skin, I can take some random flaming, but it sure doesn't make me want to post in there ever. It seems to be agree with the consensus, or don't bother posting. It'll either be ignored or you'll be accused of ruining everyone else's fun.

In the interest of accuracy, and since I'm bored to death right now...

You made two posts in the Okami thread that people responded negatively to... out of about 10-15 or so altogether.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=24402958#24402958

http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=24437968#24437968

Funnily, one of those responses was from Defrag, but honestly, that was basically just a sarcastic quip and a rolleyes directed at a lot of people. The other one, only Alucard(some-number) responded to, and someone immediately made fun of him for it. Alucard has also been banned in the past for trolling so... I'm not really certain how he became indicative of the forum as a whole.

Ardouc, don't take this the wrong way, but you going into every thread that people give as an example of something that made them feel uncomfortable is getting a little old. The Okami thread is, I think, another good example of people overreacting to negative opinions about the game, although I'm not going to sift through 70+ pages of thread just to prove it.

What I don't understand is why you're so hell-bent on proving that people's impressions and general feelings of the posting environment in G&T are flat-out wrong. You may not feel that way, but this isn't just about you.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    JJ wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    She dies?

No, it was just a joke when Rowling started killing characters in her books. The big mystery was who dies, and someone said it was Hermione unspoilered, as a joke. A couple of people thought they were being serious, and absolutely flipped, so the joke has kind of stuck around.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    I was thinking about posting something negative in the Firefly MMO thread, but that's not a slice of nerd rage I really want to deal with right now.

I read half of page 1 and page 5 of that thread and most people seemed reasonable. Lot of people thought in principle it might be good but the odds of a good execution were downright nil. Quite a few others said the IP wouldn't work in a multiplayer setting etc...

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Again someone got mad at me when I pointed out that firefly's cancellation had a lot to do with the fact that no one watched it, and like twenty people watched serenity.

Tube on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Again someone got mad at me when I pointed out that firefly's cancellation had a lot to do with the fact that no one watched it, and like twenty people watched serenity.

"It received generally positive reviews and opened at number two, taking in $10.1 million its first weekend, spending two weeks in the top ten, and totaling a domestic box office gross of $25.5 million and a foreign box office gross of $13.3 million. Serenity was released on DVD, UMD, and VHS in North America on December 20, 2005. It quickly went to #1 in sales on Amazon.com. It also spent two weeks in the top ten on Billboard's Top DVD Sales charts, peaking at #3. As of January 15, 2006, the DVD/VHS rentals of the film have grossed around $9,190,000."

:?

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    It didn't make it's money back though precious, which is really the issue. Anyway, not the firefly thread.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    People got mad at you because that's only half the story. As was pointed out when you made that comment, people didn't watch it because Fox didn't promote it, showed it out of order, and constantly changed the timeslot. I don't care if you don't like the show, and I'd wager most others wouldn't either. Just don't be disingenuous about why it failed.

Edit: Yeah, not the Firefly thread.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Drez wrote:
    Terrorbyte was an unfunny, annoying nuisance.

Why do you guys take everything so seriously? It's one thing to have a consistent set of rules, but people flipping out over bad taste jokes is a slippery slope.

"Terrorbyte is a troll."
    "Terrorbyte should be banned."
    "Terrorbyte is a dick."

So, why don't we just boot everyone with an unpopular opinion. Especially if they aren't sheepish about them. Then we can boot the dudes who make bad jokes - we can call it thread assassination and then kick out everyone in, say, the PS3 thread for spending 25 pages making fun of Kutaragi or whoever.

You know, instead of a draconian ruleset married to mob rule, maybe we can collectively stop throwing a hissy fit at every fucking comment that isn't just a vanilla thought.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    Mighty JMighty J Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    Drez wrote:

Why do you guys take everything so seriously? It's one thing to have a consistent set of rules, but people flipping out over bad taste jokes is a slippery slope.

"Terrorbyte is a troll."
    "Terrorbyte is a dick."

So, why don't we just boot everyone with an unpopular opinion. Especially if they aren't sheepish about them. Then we can boot the dudes who make bad jokes - we can call it thread assassination and then kick out everyone in, say, the PS3 thread for spending 25 pages making fun of Kutaragi or whoever.

You know, instead of a draconian ruleset married to mob rule, maybe we can collectively stop throwing a hissy fit at every fucking comment that isn't just a vanilla thought.

Or you can stop going into threads for the sole purpose of starting flamewars. Crazy concept, I know.

Mighty J on
    sig.pl?mightyj
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Mighty J wrote:
    Or you can stop going into threads for the sole purpose of starting flamewars. Crazy concept, I know.

Dude, my attempt was to make a joke. Flame war? How the hell do you start a flame war by making a joke? Oh, gosh, a fiery wave of ... no laughter. Don't blame me because people get all worked up over the most minor things. Also, don't tell me what my purpose is when I post. You have no idea what I'm thinking or why I want to say it.

It's kind of insane how worked up people here get over things they might disagree with or find in poor taste. Is having a divergent opinion now a bannable offense? Maybe not saying things nicely? Should we start having a board ettiquite class? Should I bring a salad keyboard and a soup mouse? Black-tie only?

The sad thing is, we have more mob-think freak-outs around here than we do trolls and spammers. There's vigilance and then there's collective insanity. Zodiac or whoever shouldn't be jailed for being tough on some beloved dead dude. I shouldn't be banned for cracking wise. Slippery slope. You'll learn that the next time you're somewhat rude or make a joke at the wrong time. Too bad there won't be too many sympathetic ears left.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Mighty J wrote:
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    Drez wrote:

"Terrorbyte is a troll."
    "Terrorbyte is a dick."

But therein lies the rub. Too often do people percieve unpopular opinions as trolling, and respond in kind.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    Mighty J wrote:

Dude, my attempt was to make a joke. Flame war? How the hell do you start a flame war by making a joke? Oh, gosh, a fiery wave of ... no laughter. Don't blame me because people get all worked up over the most minor things. Also, don't tell me what my purpose is when I post. You have no idea what I'm thinking or why I want to say it.

It's kind of insane how worked up people here get over things they might disagree with or find in poor taste. Is having a divergent opinion now a bannable offense? Maybe not saying things nicely? Should we start having a board ettiquite class? Should I bring a salad keyboard and a soup mouse? Black-tie only?
    Do you make jokes about dead people the day their body is found outside the internet? I don't care if you didn't know him personally. It's bad fucking taste to make jokes about a person that died trying to save his family, and I'm glad you got slapped the fuck down.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Do you make jokes about dead people the day their body is found outside the internet?

Occasionally, yeah.
    I don't care if you didn't know him personally. It's bad fucking taste to make jokes about a person that died trying to save his family, and I'm glad you got slapped the fuck down.

Oh, cool. We're self-policing now? I'll be sure to freak out the next time you say or do something that offends me. Because this won't create a self-propagating clusterfuck of thin-skinned dudes going batshit over every little thing that offends their good taste.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    Do you make jokes about dead people the day their body is found outside the internet?

Occasionally, yeah.
    Okay, you're not a troll. You're just a horrible person. Noted. I can go back to ignoring you now.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Mighty JMighty J Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Javen wrote:
    Mighty J wrote:
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    Drez wrote:

"Terrorbyte is a troll."
    "Terrorbyte is a dick."

But therein lies the rub. Too often do people percieve unpopular opinions as trolling, and respond in kind.

True. But looking through Terrorbyte's post history in G&T and Graphic Violence, you can be pretty certain that it isn't just him having an unpopular opinion.

And in this instance, it wasn't even that he was making tasteless jokes.
    That positive Zune review was bad karma.
    Maybe he was out looking for someone to transfer songs with.
    Transferred songs last three days on a Zune. James Kim lasts three days in the snow. Coincidence?

He went into a thread about someone dying to continue his shit parade on a product he doesn't like. He was told to stop, and kept on going. Now he's throwing a fit about how he's not allowed to have an unpopular opinion.

You weren't just going into the thread to make a joke, Terrorbyte, you were going in there to stir shit up.

Mighty J on
    sig.pl?mightyj
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Can we just pretend that we have evidence that Terrorcock was his alt and go back to permabanning him?

JJ on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    JJ wrote:
    Can we just pretend that we have evidence that Terrorcock was his alt and go back to permabanning him?
    Well, he obviously hasn't changed his attitude. It'll only be a matter of time before he's banned again.

Still not the right thread for any of this though.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Those comments are pretty clearly trolling, Terrorbyte. If you honestly didn't realize that, you should probably go to a doctor or psychologist to find out if you have Asperger's Syndrome, or some other autistic spectrum disorder.

So, for those of you arguing that there is a clique-mentality problem in G&T: do you have any suggestions for how the administration should deal with it? If not, we should probably move on from this, because it's just going to turn into a bitchfest.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Mighty J wrote:
    Javen wrote:
    Mighty J wrote:
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    Drez wrote:

"Terrorbyte is a troll."
    "Terrorbyte is a dick."

True. But looking through Terrorbyte's post history in G&T and Graphic Violence, you can be pretty certain that it isn't just him having an unpopular opinion.

And in this instance, it wasn't even that he was making tasteless jokes.
    That positive Zune review was bad karma.
    Maybe he was out looking for someone to transfer songs with.
    Transferred songs last three days on a Zune. James Kim lasts three days in the snow. Coincidence?

He went into a thread about someone dying to continue his shit parade on a product he doesn't like. He was told to stop, and kept on going. Now he's throwing a fit about how he's not allowed to have an unpopular opinion.

You weren't just going into the thread to make a joke, Terrorbyte, you were going in there to stir shit up.

I'm not speaking in defense of Terrorbyte, but I think there are grains of truth to what he says about the whole trolling thing being a slippery slope.

Javen on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Those comments are pretty clearly trolling, Terrorbyte. If you honestly didn't realize that, you should probably go to a doctor or psychologist to find out if you have Asperger's Syndrome, or some other autistic spectrum disorder.

So, for those of you arguing that there is a clique-mentality problem in G&T: do you have any suggestions for how the administration should deal with it? If not, we should probably move on from this, because it's just going to turn into a bitchfest.
    Mail order prescription drugs.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Thanatos wrote:

Aside from a zero tolerance policy, something which I for one do not suggest, dealing with something like that on anything other than a case by case basis seems impossible. Dickery is something we will always be plagued with, and unfortunately, there is no one stop solution.

Javen on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2006
    A duck! wrote:

I read half of page 1 and page 5 of that thread and most people seemed reasonable. Lot of people thought in principle it might be good but the odds of a good execution were downright nil. Quite a few others said the IP wouldn't work in a multiplayer setting etc...

I've said negative things about Firefly before; I know what would be in store for me.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Thanatos wrote:

How ironic. I'm pretty offended that you'd make fun of me like that and disparage those with mental disorders. Maybe you should impose a temporary ban on yourself for flaming me in such a manner. Tsk-tsk.

I mean, how can all you dudes talk so much shit about me and then come back with a straight face and tell me that I should be nicer?
    do you have any suggestions for how the administration should deal with it?

Don't. Dealing with board minutiae creates more problems than it's worth. I haven't been here long and even in that small time frame I've noticed mod-creep ... rules become stricter and more draconian for seemingly no other reason than trying to change the general behavior of the PA forum community.

I know that there are technological issues (the size and distribution of threads) and moderation necessities (spam) around what you do, but getting into all this subjective nonsense (is PA as friendly as we'd like it to be) is just unecessary and kind of lame. We don't need a re-ned-ucation.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Those spam bots are getting crafty.

One of them put down "Canada" as its location.

Son of a bitch.

JJ on
  • Options
    Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Thanatos wrote:

[joking]My only suggestion would be to lock G&T. It's a pattern behavior. Wanting to talk about all the games from one system in one thread? Clearly irresponsible behavior. Having one small thread for off topic chat? Questionable at best. Making fun of poorly worded advertisments for power leveling or penis pills? Clearly unacceptable behavior.[/joking]

Seriously, the only thing that can really help is opening the talk between everyone. Mods and forumers. Newbies and veteran posters. I little more talking, a little more understanding. Anyone who posts on a web comic subforum about Games and Technology is already in a clique. It's just a broader one. Everyone needs to learn to let go a bit. But it's all stuff that can't be handled by rules or regulations. Ignoring trolls and promoting discussion about games is what we need. Discussion of why a game is good and also why it is not so good.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Is there any way an ad banner could be added to the forums? I'm willing to bet there are at least some people who go to the forums without reading the news posts, or some people who just forget about donating, so a Child's Play banner might bring in some more funds.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Terrorbyte, drop it.
    This thread is for suggestions to improve the boards. It isn't a place to flaunt how superior you think you are compared to everyone else.

Accualt on
  • Options
    FierceDeity666FierceDeity666 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Accualt wrote:
    Terrorbyte, drop it.
    This thread is for suggestions to improve the boards. It isn't a place to flaunt how superior you think you are compared to everyone else.
    regrets, acc?

FierceDeity666 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Accualt wrote:
    Terrorbyte, drop it.

Uh, those are suggestions to improve the boards. And I don't need to flaunt how superior I am to y'all.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    FierceDeity666FierceDeity666 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    Accualt wrote:
    Terrorbyte, drop it.

Uh, those are suggestions to improve the boards. And I don't need to flaunt how superior I am to y'all.

i do hope you are joking.

FierceDeity666 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    Accualt wrote:
    Terrorbyte, drop it.

i do hope you are joking.

zeus.gif

Step off.

(Of course I'm joking.)

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2006
    I'd also like to point out that this is the problem with introducing a character assassination rule. If you're fine with going off on others with that kind of vehemence, then you should really expect the same kind of response, even if it's just people emulating you or thinking that that's okay. When you start getting to judge who it is and who it isn't okay to universally bash then you're creating a breeding ground for this vaunted cliques that people seem so fearful of developing.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Aroduc wrote:
    I'd also like to point out that this is the problem with introducing a character assassination rule. If you're fine with going off on others with that kind of vehemence, then you should really expect the same kind of response, even if it's just people emulating you or thinking that that's okay. When you start getting to judge who it is and who it isn't okay to universally bash then you're creating a breeding ground for this vaunted cliques that people seem so fearful of developing.

I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say.

I will say that character assassination is a bad thing no matter what, and all accounts of it should be banned. I think Terrorbyte is an awful troll, but I think it's better left to the mods to make that decision, rather than have everyone litter a thread with off-topic ridicule against said person's character.

So, I'm all for the rule and complete, strict adherence to it in subforums such as G&T and D&D, which are supposed to be on-topic. Posts like "you are a dick" are not good and do not foster communication, even if the person is completely right.

Drez on