As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Xenoblade Chronicles: You Will Know Our Games

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Are gem upgrades really backloaded or have I just happened to have missed a bunch. I've got half my crew maxed out for Affinity and Art upgrades with everyone else sitting at 2. I think everyone has their second accessory and I have 3 characters with their second gem slot.

I'm in chapter 4 specifically
    I've used the Ether lift and have been running around getting everything that's opened up including that chain of slides that lead to a couple of Ether masts. I haven't continued on to The Black Caves/Prison Island that whole region

Road Block on
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    If you mean Gem Slot Unlocks in FR, yes they are backloaded. They are both the most hidden and pushed towards the later areas.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I explored as much as I could and did all the sidequests I could and I still couldn't find the last Art Unlock item.

• Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    I had to look up where the last broken ether mast was in Ragmos Desolation because it doesn't ping the radar.
    And now there's no where to level up except fighting the powerful unique monsters over and over?
    Yep I'm done. Fun DLC but this post game is rubbish.
    Lots of cute call backs and references but I hope after they remake xenoblade x that the next game is new and disconnected (until it inevitably isnt)

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I fucking love Future Redeemed

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Without any direct spoilers is it possible to answer this question:
    does it in some way loop the narrative around to offer a contiuation of anything after the end of XC3 or directly because of the events of the ending?

Or is it strictly filling in things that happened before the XC3?

• Options

does it in some way loop the narrative around to offer a contiuation of anything after the end of XC3 or directly because of the events of the ending?

Most of it is filling in XC3 as well as tying in XC1/2 where the base game shied away. However there's a glimpse of the future far (FAR) after the end of XC3, one that has long-time Monolith fans very excited.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Most of it is filling in XC3 as well as tying in XC1/2 where the base game shied away. However there's a glimpse of the future far (FAR) after the end of XC3, one that has long-time Monolith fans very excited.
    sweet! As long as there's something like that in there I'm in! Thanks.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I assume that Matthew's accent is some extant British accent, but wow, I've never heard anything like it.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Kizmitt wrote: »
    I had to look up where the last broken ether mast was in Ragmos Desolation because it doesn't ping the radar.
    And now there's no where to level up except fighting the powerful unique monsters over and over?
    Yep I'm done. Fun DLC but this post game is rubbish.
    Lots of cute call backs and references but I hope after they remake xenoblade x that the next game is new and disconnected (until it inevitably isnt)

That radar was my last one too, and yeah, it's stupid as there's no real way to know it should go there normally. It's in a location that you wouldn't go to unless you knew something was there, as it requires some weird jumping on tops of pillars and across to a corner of a cliff that from every other direction looks like there is nothing there. And since the radar doesn't ping nearby, and the other radar in the zone doesn't detect it....

I imagine that will get patched because it's clearly not working right. You can build it no problem if you get up there and know where it is. There's just no obvious way to know it's supposed to be there and where those specific pillars take you to also has a relic chest right next to it, so it's easy to assume (as I did) that was all there was there.

And I doubt anything coming in the future, from games lead by Takahashi, won't in some way be linked to it all. I think the specific stuff related to things in these three games, mostly, will be functionally done, but now they've opened things to such a degree that so much more can happen in the same broad "universe" and still be "new". But thematically, I'm not sure if they're capable of not having the general vibe and links to philosophy and religion and ideas that permeate every single Xeno game, and even non-Xeno games they've done.

And Takahashi had said prior to XC3 being released that by the end, fans would know where they're going next, and after the DLC, I think it's pretty clear where that is, even if it is breaking some brains trying to figure out how.

It's been a hell of a ride though, and even for all the weaknesses of the pre-Nintendo Xeno games, I've been 100% on board and if it's possible to be more on board now, that's where I'm at. Take me on a journey! I will literally never get sick of this.

EDIT:

sweet! As long as there's something like that in there I'm in! Thanks.

Toeing the line of not spoiling anything but also trying to answer the question, I just want to be clear:
    If what you're looking for is literally a continuation of the end of XC3, relating to any of the characters, you will not get that.

What is there makes what happens next implied, but it requires contextualization and doesn't provide any specifics whatsoever beyond trusting the player to know what likely happens.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Bleh. Missing two affinity upgrades somewhere in the game, but I've beaten it, opened all the chests, and I've only got a handful of NMs (guess), one fog, and one ether channel untouched on the whole map.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Ugg I need to beat this before Zelda comes out. I think I'm near the end - I should probably just go for it. At least, I think I just opened the way to the last area which I assume is near the end. Who knows tho.
    I made the whatevermajiger lift thing that lets me get to Ragwell Bridge which I assume if I cross takes me to Prison Island area.
    There's definitely a ton of community stuff left to do but a lot of that might be post-game-ish (or "right before the boss")

Also I don't know if I'm just blind or what but are Gem slot unlocks just stupid hard to find? I've literally found 2, period. Everything else I have at least two of unlocked for *every character* and in some cases three (affinity thingies, arts, accessories, etc). Are these things all hidden in late game areas or am I totally missing them?

Edit: Wow, I should really just read the other posts that already asked this :P Ironically I am exactly where Road Block was even :P Weird of them to backload this crap.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Gem unlocks are definitely a bit back-loaded. I found a lot of them in the last major area.

The community unlocks I'm not sure if they can be 100% cleared before the final boss, but at least 99%.

• Options
    edited May 2023
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Gem unlocks are definitely a bit back-loaded. I found a lot of them in the last major area.

The community unlocks I'm not sure if they can be 100% cleared before the final boss, but at least 99%.

Yeah, I think for community I've literally done all I can outside of something weird that requires me to go someplace that isn't telegraphed on the map with a ! or something (I hope I'm not missing any random people in previous areas to save. I don't think so?). I'm assuming most of the rest will unlock between now and the final boss (they seem to unlock at really arbitrary story progress :P) Everyone on my list right now just seems to be locked behind an unknown quest or unknown action (or like, "get all the recipes" or things I definitely can't do yet)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Aside from rescuing people (which you get a total per map for anyways), the only tricky community bit I think (i.e. not completely marked out on map/quests) is the getting all recipes one - a couple of them are just talking to people in town (they'll have the star marking new conversations on them though, so)

Polaritie on
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Aside from rescuing people (which you get a total per map for anyways), the only tricky community bit I think (i.e. not completely marked out on map/quests) is the getting all recipes one - a couple of them are just talking to people in town (they'll have the star marking new conversations on them though, so)

Ahh, I think I either forgot about that or didn't know that. I should look :P

And yeah, I think I've talked to everyone in town. I've been looking out for stars (at least on people I haven't "completed") since I've noticed the game is kind of weird about that just starting quests at times (really wish the map called these people out better). IIRC I'm only missing two recipes at the moment.

Edit: Side note, god, I really have trouble recognizing XC2 stuff in this. I know it's there - Rex even comments on it at times. But I'm like "I have no idea what this is." This was less of an issue in the base game. I really wish someone would go through both this and base game and be like "hey, this is what this is in the original games" :P
    Like wtf is that overgrown temple thing you go through after you take the Ether Lift? Rex is like "Ah this brings me back!" Is is Tantal? Indol? I can't freaking tell. (I always kinda figured Cloud Keep was Tantal but this could be a different part)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Just getting into Future Redeemed - is there any downside to using the Bonus XP this time? I recall it was kind of a trap in the base game, since overlevelling ruined CP gain, what about here?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited May 2023

You can do 100% community before the final boss fight. Though I think you have to do just about everything up until just before it.
    Just getting into Future Redeemed - is there any downside to using the Bonus XP this time? I recall it was kind of a trap in the base game, since overlevelling ruined CP gain, what about here?

No the closest thing to CP is affinity points which are rewarded at fixed values for completing tasks. So the only downside to overleveling is if you want fights to be actually challenging. If you plan to be pretty through the regular XP is plenty to keep you appropriately levelled.

Road Block on
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Warlock82 wrote: »

And yeah, I think I've talked to everyone in town. I've been looking out for stars (at least on people I haven't "completed") since I've noticed the game is kind of weird about that just starting quests at times (really wish the map called these people out better). IIRC I'm only missing two recipes at the moment.

Edit: Side note, god, I really have trouble recognizing XC2 stuff in this. I know it's there - Rex even comments on it at times. But I'm like "I have no idea what this is." This was less of an issue in the base game. I really wish someone would go through both this and base game and be like "hey, this is what this is in the original games" :P
    Like wtf is that overgrown temple thing you go through after you take the Ether Lift? Rex is like "Ah this brings me back!" Is is Tantal? Indol? I can't freaking tell. (I always kinda figured Cloud Keep was Tantal but this could be a different part)
    Definitely tantal, I ran down that exact building slope a number of times in XC2. It feels like almost all the XC2 architecture is just Tantal, which they basically kept out of the main game for I guess this purpose.

But yeah Rex's overpowered spin-to-win aside, the DLC leans super heavy on XC1 nostalgia, its not even close to fair.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Definitely tantal, I ran down that exact building slope a number of times in XC2. It feels like almost all the XC2 architecture is just Tantal, which they basically kept out of the main game for I guess this purpose.

But yeah Rex's overpowered spin-to-win aside, the DLC leans super heavy on XC1 nostalgia, its not even close to fair.
    There's also another conversation there between Rex and Shulk where Rex straight up says it's Tantal, but it players might miss it because of not returning to the spot that triggers it after clearing out the Kevesi, or possibly the conversation gets overridden entirely if you pass through the spot while still fighting them.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Vandham seemingly only being a temp party member in XC2 breaks my heart.

This guy is awesome. And he's Australian which means he's used to fighting giant monsters.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    After Future Redeemed I decided to dedicate myself to actually beating XC2 rather than just giving up a few chapters in and watching the rest of the cutscenes online.

So I started fresh new save file (just reached chapter 3) and I'm actually digging it. There's still quite a bit of...XC2 in it, but I'm doing a lot better at taking it in and judging it by it's own merits. And I think XB3 helped acclimate me to some of the quirks of the combat.

Also my first two rare blade draws were...Dagas and Ursula...well let's go...

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    I didn't beat Future Redeemed in time for Zeldo so now it's on the backburner T_T I hope I can get back to it to finish - I think I was pretty close to the end minus all the optional stuff.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Shenl742 wrote: »
    After Future Redeemed I decided to dedicate myself to actually beating XC2 rather than just giving up a few chapters in and watching the rest of the cutscenes online.

So I started fresh new save file (just reached chapter 3) and I'm actually digging it. There's still quite a bit of...XC2 in it, but I'm doing a lot better at taking it in and judging it by it's own merits. And I think XB3 helped acclimate me to some of the quirks of the combat.

It's actually really good that you got Ursula that early, as her blade quests are the longest ones in the game and they involve a ton of simply waiting for timers to run down. I'd recommend getting each step started as soon as they come up.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Shenl742 wrote: »

It's actually really good that you got Ursula that early, as her blade quests are the longest ones in the game and they involve a ton of simply waiting for timers to run down. I'd recommend getting each step started as soon as they come up.

Yeah and her merc missions are also really quick which is helpful for getting affinity for other blades

I actually got Dagas real early and Ursula in chapter 3 of my original game, so this is the universe telling me something I guess lol.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Oh god..

Just met Zeke for the first time in XC2.

This dude is painfully unfunny but giving off vibes that he's going to get a ton of screentime.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I know I'm quite late to the party, but now that I'm done with Octopath, I'm playing Future Redeemed. I don't tend to get too emotional with video games. But I don't know what it is about the Xenoblade games being able to hit the emotional button in me. When we entered Colony 9 for the first time, I got a bit teary. Walking in Dunban's house and doing the heart to heart just got me so bad.

God I love this series.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Oh god..

Just met Zeke for the first time in XC2.

This dude is painfully unfunny but giving off vibes that he's going to get a ton of screentime.

Zeke was my favorite character in the game haha.

Legit played him as my main character to get away from Rex.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Zeke is a much better character than his first impression gives you. Get to know him some as the game progresses. :smile:

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Handling a man's turtle!

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Pandoria is also great. The lightbulbs for shoulders? Incredible.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Future Redeemed question.

Can someone let me know roughly how far in each of the teammates join?

There's a lot of exploration to do but there's other characters I'd rather be playing as. So if I'm anywhere near them I'd like to just power forward so I can do the exploring as them. But if im no where near I might as well explore more until I'm close.

Thanks in advance!

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Future Redeemed question.

Can someone let me know roughly how far in each of the teammates join?

There's a lot of exploration to do but there's other characters I'd rather be playing as. So if I'm anywhere near them I'd like to just power forward so I can do the exploring as them. But if im no where near I might as well explore more until I'm close.

Thanks in advance!

You get all your characters at the start of chapter 3. Make a beeline through the story and it doesn't really take too much time. Some major game mechanics also unlock shortly after

Shenl742 on
  • Options
    Awesome, thanks! I'll get the team tifeyger before I start trying to explore every nook and cranny in that case.

• Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    My limited edition Xenoblade Chronicles 3 soundtrack finally arrived today!
    Chefs kiss but for the ears

• Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    All Xenoblade Chronicles soundtracks are just so goddamn good.

Also, I just beat Future Redeemed and it was excellent. Can't wait for the next game, be it 4, X2, or something else.

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    I learned that the singer who did the end credits song for Future Redeemed also did the one for Xenogears. That's so cool!

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I wish I had just sucked it up and paid for the special edition version of the soundtracks that came with the model flutes. I've wasted similar money on dumber things that wouldn't have made me as happy.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Would anyone be interested in a Goodsmile Pyra statue for slightly less than it goes for on the open market? I'm trying to declutter my pirate hoard. ;P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I finally finished Xenoblade Chronicles 2.
    I'm still processing it, but I think I hated it? I've heard that the post-game is good, but I have no desire to play it to find out.
    The core crystal thing never sat right with me, even after reading up on it to maximise my chances I never felt like it broke in my favour (Zeke got nothing but healing blades, Morag got three attack blades (all fire), and Nia got the only rare Darkness blade to pop for me in the entire playthrough.
    I was still using common blades in the final fight because that was the only way I could get all the elements for combos.

Would quests that result in a specific blade that you can then pick who to assign to really have been so hard?
    3... isn't like this, right? Specifically the RNG for party member setups and half a dozen people all talking at once? It was manageable with three people.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.