As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Steam Next Fest! Trouble Juice and Immortal Tales of Rebirth out today!

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Damn, people have different tastes, what a crime.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    don't worry, i got this

lotr and assassin's creed are both equally lame and boring

there, you can now use this post as your hate sink

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    There is literally nothing preventing one of the assassins in AC from being a creepy little guy if that's really what the people want, the Gollum game has zero legs to stand on...

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    That's actually a good point. Is there a canonical reason why everyone's great^n grandparent was a war god and not a horrible little creep who changed history by being generally unpleasant?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    I mean, a Gollum game seems perfectly interesting to me. Being a fucked up little weirdo who has to use stealth and a bit of low cunning to get away with shit is at least a novel concept, and taking a swing on a novel concept is worth it IMO. The fact the game is a broken, poorly designed, ugly in the wrong way piece of junk is disappointing, but it's still more interesting to me as a thing that exists than like, any of the last 10 AC games.

I'm sorry but "being the well known IP Gollum in a period that wasn't interesting enough for the author to write a story about, which ends before the story gets good" is more conceptually interesting to you than "experience adventure and intrigue in unique historical settings across the world and time"? That's bizarre to me. I get avoiding AC games because you hate Ubisoft, or specifically how they're making them or how they play or whatever, but conceptually? Nah, AC is one of the best concepts for an action adventure game ever.

they're just regular boxes you climb that look like old houses

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    the new guy in assassin's creed is a creepy little guy. unfortunately he also sucks

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Assassin's Creep

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    There is literally nothing preventing one of the assassins in AC from being a creepy little guy if that's really what the people want, the Gollum game has zero legs to stand on...

yeah, gollum mostly crawls in it instead

• Options
    Assassin's Creep

Who was the guy that shot Garfield?

He was a bit odd right

• Options
    Assassin's Creep

He was a bit odd right

nermal

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    only thing civ 6 seems to be missing is an economic win. where's my corner the global stock market option?

if you have the monopoly and corporations mode on having control of most of the world's luxury goods allows you to very easily win a culture victory

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    (it was charles guiteau and he was very famously a colossal weirdo loser who got an absolute banger of a song written by sondheim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8omQpWati8

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Assassin's Creep

He was a bit odd right

nermal

I would have also accepted the cinematographer for Garfield the movie from 2004

• Options
    Assassin's Creep

He was a bit odd right

nwocbf2jpz4z.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I never remember how to spell his last name my phone thinks it's guitar

• Options
    he was such a weirdo loser creep he got kicked out of a free love commune for being such a fucking creepy weirdo loser

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    I can imagine decent Gollum games, but none of them have detective vision ass "Gollum sense" that highlights enemies and walls that you can wall run along like it is Prince of Persia

Couscous on
  • Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    also while guiteau definitely shot garfield, it was the doctors who did the president in afterward

medicine! number 1 reason to never time travel to the past

• Options
    If you wash your hands and cook your own meals and boil your water you'll be basically Methuselah to those screw-headed chucklefucks, it's fine.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Hahahaha, holy shit, you left off the best part of the ending.
    Gollum decides to go to the Shire (assumingly to get the one ring back from Bilbo) and goes though the Mines of Moria.. except he gets stuck because he can't open the "Say Friend and Enter" door.

Did they mistake the Mines of Moria for the Misty Mountains? Whoops, wrong book.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Gollum decides to go to the Shire (assumingly to get the one ring back from Bilbo) and goes though the Mines of Moria.. except he gets stuck because he can't open the "Say Friend and Enter" door.

Did they mistake the Mines of Moria for the Misty Mountains?

Maybe the devs should have coughed up some money for that lore dlc.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited May 2023

I don't understand where the mistake is?
    the mines of moria is where gollum gets stuck, the mines of moria is where the speak friend and enter door is. Moria is also where gollum starts following the fellowship. They're setting him up for where he is in lotr.

it's actually a literal note from Tolkien:
    What then happened to Gollum cannot of course be known for certain. He was peculiarly fitted to survive in such straits, though at the cost of great misery; but he was in great peril of discovery by the servant of Sauron that lurked in Moria, especially since such bare necessity of food as he must have he could only get by thieving dangerously. [...] he became lost, and it was a very long time before he found his way about. It thus seems probable that he had not long made his way toward the West-Gate when the Nine Walkers arrived. He knew nothing, of course, about the action of the doors. To him they would seem huge and immovable; and though they had no lock or bar and opened outwards to a thrust, he did not discover that. In any case, he was now far away from any source of food, for the Orcs were mostly in the East End of Moria, and was become weak and desperate, so that even if he had known all about the doors he still could not have thrust them open. It was thus a piece of singular good fortune for Gollum that the Nine Walkers arrived when they did.

the main artistic license there being that it shows gollum trying to force the doors open and he can't, but idk, not a huge deal.

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »

I don't understand where the mistake is?
    the mines of moria is where gollum gets stuck, the mines of moria is where the speak friend and enter door is. Moria is also where gollum starts following the fellowship. They're setting him up for where he is in lotr.

it's actually a literal note from Tolkien:
    What then happened to Gollum cannot of course be known for certain. He was peculiarly fitted to survive in such straits, though at the cost of great misery; but he was in great peril of discovery by the servant of Sauron that lurked in Moria, especially since such bare necessity of food as he must have he could only get by thieving dangerously. [...] he became lost, and it was a very long time before he found his way about. It thus seems probable that he had not long made his way toward the West-Gate when the Nine Walkers arrived. He knew nothing, of course, about the action of the doors. To him they would seem huge and immovable; and though they had no lock or bar and opened outwards to a thrust, he did not discover that. In any case, he was now far away from any source of food, for the Orcs were mostly in the East End of Moria, and was become weak and desperate, so that even if he had known all about the doors he still could not have thrust them open. It was thus a piece of singular good fortune for Gollum that the Nine Walkers arrived when they did.

the main artistic license there being that it shows gollum trying to force the doors open and he can't, but idk, not a huge deal.
    I was getting the timeline mixed up again, but my point was how silly that ending is. But I guess it's from tolkien so nevermind.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    929zt3pa4xyi.jpg
    hpcz0pbd59xh.jpg

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    mate I assure you the most fervent of tolkienites probably burst into a thousand angry wasps the moment they even heard about this game

It took me weeks to track down all my errant me-wasps!

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Gollum but with Disco Elysium narrative style and gameplay. That's what they should have done.

PARANOIA: But of course the Orcs are of a tricky sort; a healthy bit of caution overflows your muscular system and floods your limbs unexpectedly with reverence. Stupidly, your arms fall to the side, limp, your knuckles scraping the dirt, picking up so many, many germs. But it's a respectful gesture.

GOLLUM: WE MUST TAKE A SEATSES SOS WE DONT BECOME MEATSESSSSS

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    We’re all missing the obvious here, it’s sexy big boobed gollum

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    @Depressperado is getting me dangerously close to reinstalling Civ VI. Is the base game good enough by itself or do you need a bunch of DLC for it to feel complete?

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    The DLC does a lot for it, as is the norm.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    cursedking wrote: »
    LORE is dlc????

The base game is $50, which would make it budget priced nowadays. But it is kind of obvious they want people to buy the $60 version that comes with what would be pretty basic stuff like lore to explain what the fuck is going on for people who aren't huge LoTR nerds
    According to Skill Up's review it's $60 and $70. Though they may be Canadian for all I know.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited May 2023
    @Depressperado is getting me dangerously close to reinstalling Civ VI. Is the base game good enough by itself or do you need a bunch of DLC for it to feel complete?

I bought it on sale with a whole bunch of DLCs and I'd say they improved the game, but it's not a Stellaris thing where every DLC changes one huge aspect of how the game plays

Depressperado on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2023

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/djog3o/how_the_expansion_bundle_changes_civ_6/

The two expansions Rise and Fall and Gathering Storm add the most value for your buck. The rest is basically extra game modes or extra Civs to play, which you can buy if they sound like a good time.

That reddit post rather neatly explains what Rise and Fall and Gathering Storm adds. I would recommend them at the very minimum, but the rest is up to you.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I mean, a Gollum game seems perfectly interesting to me. Being a fucked up little weirdo who has to use stealth and a bit of low cunning to get away with shit is at least a novel concept, and taking a swing on a novel concept is worth it IMO. The fact the game is a broken, poorly designed, ugly in the wrong way piece of junk is disappointing, but it's still more interesting to me as a thing that exists than like, any of the last 10 AC games.

I'm sorry but "being the well known IP Gollum in a period that wasn't interesting enough for the author to write a story about, which ends before the story gets good" is more conceptually interesting to you than "experience adventure and intrigue in unique historical settings across the world and time"? That's bizarre to me. I get avoiding AC games because you hate Ubisoft, or specifically how they're making them or how they play or whatever, but conceptually? Nah, AC is one of the best concepts for an action adventure game ever.

Yes, absolutely 100%.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Garfield died slow and hard because all his doctors rejected that fruitcake germ theory and all took turns rooting around in his ragged bullet wound with their bare 19th century fingers directly after scraping goiters off their horses asshole or whatever

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    To be less pithy, though, the concept for Assassin's Creed isn't "experience adventure and intrigue in historical settings," it's "play an Assassin's Creed game with a new flavor". I don't mind that, and if an AC game looks particularly good and I have a particularly large hole in my gaming backlog I'd play them, but conceptually I have zero ability to get excited about the new games or even remember what's coming out and when.

By contrast, I was definitely keeping track of the Gollum game, not because I expected it to be good or have a quality floor the way AC does, but because it's a big weird swing and something interesting and unique might have came from that. It didn't happen, but it was still a compelling enough game for me to know that as soon as reviews started coming in

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    For me Assassin's Creed and Far Cry games all fall into the "I played one of them, and all the sequels just look like more of the same, so cool, no need to play them then" box. The differences between them are either not thorough enough to make me unbored of the mechanics, or actively make the experience worse for me (loot drops and levels in AC, get fucked).

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Being a fucked up little weirdo who has to use stealth and a bit of low cunning to get away with shit is at least a novel concept

literally every assassin's creed and pac-man also

• Options
    Even ignoring that Styx are literally the games people seem to hope Gollum had been, come on, Thief is right there, Garrett is the original little stealth weirdo. Have you seen how tall chairs are relative to him? He's like 3 foot nothing.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    AC protags aren't little weirdos, they're Hollywood jawline weirdos.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Everyone want to play the huge armoured knight why not let me play the stunted 14 year old with rickets who slithers around the melee and stabs people in the face when they fall off their horse

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
This discussion has been closed.