As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Castlevania & Bloodstained] sitting in a tree, S-L-A-Y-I-N-G

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    God damn is Dracula a fun fight in Dead Cells. Also he is hilarious in the actual castle too:
    He appears in the later version of the castle to mess with you and do things like turn castle upside down or even delete the poor merchant from existence.

Super happy with this DLC.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xphXNDj2laU

Physical release of Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon and its sequel, the retro-styled games from Inti Creates, for the PS4 and Switch in Japan. Seems to be a regular and a special edition.

Nothing on a western release... at least, not yet.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I bet it will, but hopefully it's not LRG.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I still need to get around to COTM2. I really enjoyed the first one. Never did finish the "real" Bloodstained.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Can't think of a more appropriate thread so yeah!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JDW-10FnrE&ab_channel=IGN

Blasphemous II, yeeeah!

Looks like it'll be pretty similar to the original gameplay wise, and the artstyle is identical. So, more Blasphemous, in a different place. I love it.

H9f4bVe.png
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Where’s my Infernax 2 at?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    I am so ready for Blasphemous 2. "I curse you forever in name. Bless you forever in death."

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    All these Metroids I recently Vania'd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7z7NyMjsFk&ab_channel=GameTrailers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEhXgzzTwGo&ab_channel=Xbox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGQiZkWaWhk&t=93s&ab_channel=PlayStation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDRzsX2npPY&ab_channel=BASTIGAMES

Elderand I think was the strongest. Very SOTN. And I'm not a big fan of sprite graphics, but they can look good when done well, and these look good.
    Benedict had a great premise and presentation, but some really janky gameplay - lotta bugs that still need squashing.
    Itorah had absolutely gorgeous visuals, great character design and animation, gameplay was basic but solid, really let down by enemy variety though (there's like 8) and a pretty linear world. Not especially Metroidish.
    And Lone Fungus... I actually didn't finish, and probably won't. Some fun movement mechanics, but I got a few hours in and just fell asleep. Everything becomes very samey after a while. Some might like. It's super crazy inspiring that it was pretty much entirely made by a single guy, and makes me want to learn Unity. I'll metroid my own vania.

Been on a real kick with these, especially since the Silksong delay (was gonna be June, now is question mark). Also supposed to be out in 2023 are Last Faith, Blasphemous II, and Crowsworn, and I will be very surprised if that winds up being true for any of them! Ha haaah~!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    There’s a metroidvania Humble Bundle up now with some big names in:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/must-play-metroidvania

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    Anyone play Afterimage yet? It looks gorgeous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6JD2i0nusc

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I've never even heard of it until now, but yeah... I'm loving that hand-painted art style.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    I kind of hated the demo but it seems I'm alone? Or maybe the demo was just bad. Some really frustrating boss behind a decently distant checkpoint. And because this is vaguely soulslike you lose your health potions for good and have to keep carrying on without them, instead of respawning with your lost consumables.

Anyway it looks very pretty and is a sizable game, but there's zero innovation at best. Its no Ori or Hollow Knight (but then, what is.)

rahkeesh2000 on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Reminds me of Child of Light

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    There’s a metroidvania Humble Bundle up now with some big names in:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/must-play-metroidvania

qpiq6f6oa2oi.png

Coming soon eh? Is that what we are going with?
    Also there is some similarity in character design here.
    I have bloodstained and Hollow Knight, how are the other five?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    how are the other five?

I recognize that Lost Ruins game.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0_WZH0-xQg

38thDoe wrote: »
    Coming soon eh? Is that what we are going with?

Sooner than some things.
    ...but later than others.
    I have bloodstained and Hollow Knight, how are the other five?

Blasphemous is awesome, heartily recommend. I tried Lone Fungus, and it was fine for a while, but eventually the emphasis on precision jumping puzzles put me off of it.

H9f4bVe.png
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Hollow Knight, Bloodstained and Blasphemous are definitely the stand-outs from the bundle, and if you don't have any of them it's still worth picking up.

• HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    Blasphemous 2 release date trailer (August 24):
    https://youtu.be/CZ7V4RLC4Nw

HiT BiT on
    Stoked as fuck be the heart, Penintent One in Silence.

H9f4bVe.png
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I didnt see a standalone hollow knight threat so i figure this is fine - like a week ago I gave hollow knight a fresh chance. My friend was being excited that someone made a multiworld randomizer and I was like "i did like that game but i had gotten hard stuck on soul master" when i played it 3-4 years ago.

I had also been playing it on switch and there's something just bad about joycon platforming.

So i started a new run on steam, got through hornet without a death, immediately died to environmental nonsense getting to the city like a champ, and then finally for the first time defeated the soul master. (three tries this time. as opposed to infinite without a win. I'm sure it helped lol, knowing the basic attacks it had)

But man, I've been on a tear since then. This game is just phenomenal. I'm sure there were ways around soul master, but getting them dead and just making nonstop progress since then has been so satisfying. I've got a few zones left to fully delve but I think i'm heading to my last of the "bare minimum to unlock the final boss" seals and since I've been told you can continue from there to get the additional endings and DLC stuff, I'll probably try to make that push next.

follow up
    2ekv75qhyyye.jpg

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited June 2023
    I was just reminded of this and laughed. So you should get to laugh too.

KoopahTroopah on
    I tried to play a little HK on the plane and died twice while swearing maybe too much under my breath before I put it away. Idk if it was steamdeck controls or my own coordination on a portable screen but I was significantly less feeling in control. Couldn’t even kill this collector boss I was fighting which felt like an easy fight but I kept just moving badly.

Probably just gonna get back to it when I get back home.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    I tried to play a little HK on the plane and died twice while swearing maybe too much under my breath before I put it away. Idk if it was steamdeck controls or my own coordination on a portable screen but I was significantly less feeling in control. Couldn’t even kill this collector boss I was fighting which felt like an easy fight but I kept just moving badly.

Probably just gonna get back to it when I get back home.

The Deck d-pad does in fact suck, especially for diagonals. It's the main reason I can't entirely retire the Switch with hori-cons.

The whole wayland compositor stuff can be a bit laggy too. Enable "allow tearing" in performance to reduce it a little, its not like you should be dropping frames in hollow knight...

rahkeesh2000 on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I didnt see a standalone hollow knight threat so i figure this is fine - like a week ago I gave hollow knight a fresh chance. My friend was being excited that someone made a multiworld randomizer and I was like "i did like that game but i had gotten hard stuck on soul master" when i played it 3-4 years ago.

I had also been playing it on switch and there's something just bad about joycon platforming.

So i started a new run on steam, got through hornet without a death, immediately died to environmental nonsense getting to the city like a champ, and then finally for the first time defeated the soul master. (three tries this time. as opposed to infinite without a win. I'm sure it helped lol, knowing the basic attacks it had)

But man, I've been on a tear since then. This game is just phenomenal. I'm sure there were ways around soul master, but getting them dead and just making nonstop progress since then has been so satisfying. I've got a few zones left to fully delve but I think i'm heading to my last of the "bare minimum to unlock the final boss" seals and since I've been told you can continue from there to get the additional endings and DLC stuff, I'll probably try to make that push next.

Not sure if this was your issue, but after putting probably a hundred hours into HK and then not playing it for like a year, I started playing again on the switch version and it was like all my muscle memory was failing me. I was missing jumps all over, even after 20-30 minutes. Turned out I didn't have my new TV set to game mode, and fixing it cleared up the issue immediately.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I can't get into Dead Cells and have never got really far. My stats never really keep up with the enemies.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I remember enjoying it way more in Early Access before they rebalanced the game to make it (feel, at least to me) way harder. But that wouldn't be the first game that basically listened to the hardcore EA crowd and made their game less fun (Darkest Dungeon, looking at you)

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    I remember enjoying it way more in Early Access before they rebalanced the game to make it (feel, at least to me) way harder. But that wouldn't be the first game that basically listened to the hardcore EA crowd and made their game less fun (Darkest Dungeon, looking at you)

Nah, the devs were 100% into making the game less fun all on their own. Even after launch they kept at it, so many builds got neutered for actually being effective and reliable. God, that poor hellion...

Hopped back into hollow knight for the first time since my trip and beat the collector on my first try not playing on the steamdeck. It’s a little unfortunate I felt like i had issues on it, handheld platform action is like my ideal world.

Now I have to figure out what I need to do post base ending. I think I have
    two bosses I know about; Nosk and traitor lord, some dream knights, and a beehive that I know exists but don’t know where the real entrance is I only found a sub area with a grub. I found the start to godhome and the grim troupe but I think those are their own things so I’m not super worried about them yet.

edited July 2023
    I will avoid spamming the thread but I made so much progress today in HK.
    I killed Nosk
    found the way into the Hive
    killed the hive knight
    beat the second level of colosseum trial
    used that ore to max my weapon
    discovered that the big green charging bush from way back at in greenpath is a boss that counts for pantheon access and finally unlocked one of those doors which amused that that was the thing blocking it
    killed the traitor lord (that was such a good clean fight)
    met the white lady
    beat the last two dream warrior shrines (i think)
    and started cleaning up grub collecting along the way.
    Ended the night in the crystal area after getting the dive spell upgrade there. I've got some grubs and the guardian rematch to clear out over this way.

I'm running out of main game stuff at this point. like 5 charms, 3 mask pieces. At a certain point I think I just have to look up the last few of those. I've only got like 2 map markers left that are still pinned on places I need to return to.

after the white lady i did a detour to the palace but the only person there was repelling my dream nail so I assume I need to get the awoken nail to progress that. chat gave me a hint on how to find more dream essence for that so will start pursuing that next I guess.

Hey this game is real good.

initiatefailure on
    Go, man, go!

Finish it so you can live the pain of waiting for the sequel.

Speaking of sequels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kouEGYagRRs&ab_channel=IGN

H9f4bVe.png
    Yeah I can’t believe I’ll have to wait a few months, I say as everyone who’s been waiting for like 4 years tears me limb from limb

The white palace is making me regret my life.
    Even with the hive charm this is painful. Yay I can’t die I guess. I had to call it a night after finally looking at the area map. I made it to the last bench but I’ve got so much further to go.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2023
    There are some shortcuts that make it much less painful. Also the charm that gives extra spirit when you get hit will speed things up. The charm that extends your dash makes things much harder though.

Enjoy the peaceful music.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Is that the place with all the buzzsaws?

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Yes

steam_sig.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yeah, White Palace killed my run dead in its tracks. I did not have fun doing that.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular

FUCK tickle our ballsacks like that why don't you

• shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    Adam Deats is who?

Also I loved the White Palace but I love jumping bullshit.

edit: His twitter bio: I'm a Director at @powerhouseanim, and the Co-Director of #Netflix @Castlevania.

shadowane on
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    also an official announcement now (teaser trailer should be soon)