As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WoW [Chat]: What will Drysc do?

• LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Time to... grind mithril! Yaaay!
    So very terrible. I don't know why they don't just extend the skillup levels in that at least 10 points or so, so you're not stuck mining 15 or 20 points after it goes green.

For what little it's worth, I think in 2.4 they're extending the range for which you can get skill points via smelting.

Ledneh on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So very terrible. I don't know why they don't just extend the skillup levels in that at least 10 points or so, so you're not stuck mining 15 or 20 points after it goes green.

Yeah, that drives me up the wall. I think my shaman's mining is around 270-275ish, which is just out of mithril range, but just in Dark Iron and Small Thorium. Hooray, running around Searing Gorge for a couple skillups!

God, just put me to 300 already. Despite selling reasonably well, I want away from this old world bullshit, and to start collecting fel iron, gems and motes of earth and fire that are actually useful to me.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    Only 100 mithril to go!

/wrists

Echo on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ledneh wrote: »

For what little it's worth, I think in 2.4 they're extending the range for which you can get skill points via smelting.

I thought they were extending the range of skill ups you can get from mining the nodes. Being able to continue getting skill ups from copper when you spot it in the 20s areas would go a long way towards making Mining less of a pain to level up.

Seg on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Buying the stacks and smelting while orange is pretty much the only way to go. :(

815165 on
    edited February 2008
    815165 wrote: »
    Buying the stacks and smelting while orange is pretty much the only way to go. :(

That is why I am hoping Blizzard makes it so that you can mine Copper until you get high enough to mine Iron. Sure make it green for the last 50 points or something, but that would be better then having tin be green and silver being your only yellow.

Seg on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Mining doesn't strike me as that hard to skill up. I think the only trouble I had was the last stage where it's thorium/rich thorium or nothing.

That said, the old world is mostly devoid of players these days so my alts run into nodes all over the place.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It would all be good if you could just smelt everything. Problem is (on my server) a stack of Iron Bars goes for 75s while a stack of Iron Ore goes for around 2g75s.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Seg wrote: »

That is why I am hoping Blizzard makes it so that you can mine Copper until you get high enough to mine Iron. Sure make it green for the last 50 points or something, but that would be better then having tin be green and silver being your only yellow.
    Well the other thing is that they really need to take a look at what nodes are spawning where, because there are still copper nodes out in 1k Needles and that makes no sense. Meanwhile I'm running circuit after circuit around there trying to find the 1-3 nodes of Tin that spawn between shitloads of Iron that I couldn't mine and the occaisional Gold (which I also couldn't touch). Even some Mithril nodes out there. What the fuck?

Halfmex on
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Mithril totally shows up in unappropriate places. First time I noticed it on a mining character was in Stonetalon Mountains next to some level 18 mobs. Level 18-20 players can pretty much never mine Mithril.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
    edited February 2008
    Herbalism is quick and easy; you just roam around, find an herb, and pick it. There are zones where you can literally have 5+ herbs up on tracking at once (some areas in STV are just fucking PACKED with them, for example).

While I'm sure someone will present counter-anecdotal evidence to the contrary, after levelling no less than five characters to 300 or 375 mining (some have since dropped it) and an equal or greater number to 375 herbalism, I believe that mining is the tougher one to pull off. It's a very frustrating profession with fewer node types, so unlike herbalism which has a new node every 10 or 15 points (at least, that's how it often seems), mining nodes feel like they go on forever.

And ever.

And ever.

And just when you thought you were done with the badlands, and iron is going out of style, now you get to run circuits for mithril! Hooray!

C'mon, no iron no iron no iron no iron... fuck, more iron.

And then you chew through hundreds (exaggerated? Maybe, but not by much) of Mithril and get into the groan inducing dark iron / small thorium range...

C'mon, no mithril no mithril no mithril no... fuck, more mithril.

And each of those nodes is a good 15+ seconds (which might not sound like much, but remember we're talking about HUNDREDS of them), depending on failed attempts and whether it's 2 taps or 4, and as slow and annoying as they are, few ores are worth skipping out on the chance to sell 'em, so you tap and tap and tap and tap.

Also, any class that can wear leather can get herbalists gloves (+5 herbalism) enchanted with +5 herbalism, which makes transitionary periods much, much easier, whereas miners get... +5 mining, and have larger gaps. (edit: isn't there a mining helmet? I tried searching WoWhead a while back, but couldn't find anything at the time)

Basically, mining is good for resource gathering profession (I rarely sell metals; they either get used in projects, spent skilling up, or stored somewhere until I find a use for them or prospect them to build up my gem stockpile), and can be excellent money, but by gods can it be frustrating to skill up.

Forar on
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Exactly. Conversely, the 300-375 stretch in outlands takes all of an hour or two to complete depending on how quickly you go about it and what routes you fly. 0-300 Took me two evenings (Fri. and Sat.) and one nearly-full day on Sunday.

Halfmex on
  • whuppinswhuppins Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hi WoW chat thread.

I haven't been able to bring myself to play in over a month. Give me something to get excited about!

Edit: Also, you people are pussies; mithril is the easiest ore to get through other than copper.

whuppins on
  • SoundwaveSoundwave Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    There is a mining helmet, but it's mail and can only be used by engineers.

Soundwave on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    whuppins wrote: »
    Hi WoW chat thread.

I haven't been able to bring myself to play in over a month. Give me something to get excited about!

Edit: Also, you people are pussies; mithril is the easiest ore to get through other than copper.

I'm on it now, and it's been harder to get through than any ore that comes before it. I've been just levelling and questing as normal, mining whenever I see a node I can use, and it's brought me to this situation where I was 54 and ready to move on to WPL and then the 55+ zones, and was still at 215 mining.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Forar, there is a helmet with +5 to mining. Unfortunately it's mail and only for engineers with 205 skill.

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=10542

edit: Damn you soundwave! But I had a link at least.

shadowane on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah herbalism is a lot easier than mining. Mining's undergone some changes and is a little easier to level now than it was, but still.

Also, I'm pretty excited about the new badge/craftable loot. That new caster ring? Hotness.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited February 2008

Hey. You there. Go farm me 150 mithril for grinding engineering.

Echo on
    edited February 2008
    shadowane wrote: »
    Forar, there is a helmet with +5 to mining. Unfortunately it's mail and only for engineers with 205 skill.

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=10542

edit: Damn you soundwave! But I had a link at least.

Thank you Soundwave, Shadowane.

The good news is that my up and coming miner is a shaman.

The bad news is that she's also an herbalist, and I have no interest in dropping herbalism.

I think I'll just enchant her herbalism gloves with +5 mining, making them the best of both worlds.

Which reminds me, I need to find my other gatherer gloves or make some more eventually, but that can wait for the expansion.

Forar on
  • whuppinswhuppins Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Hey. You there. Go farm me 150 mithril for grinding engineering.

Give me a mount and two hours in the Hinterlands and you got it.

I still have my this and my that from back in the day, all mats farmed. Running around the edges of the Hinterlands, it's really not hard. Stay out of Jintha'Alor, the low-lying eastern coast, and you're golden. Er, mithril.

whuppins on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well the other thing is that they really need to take a look at what nodes are spawning where, because there are still copper nodes out in 1k Needles and that makes no sense. Meanwhile I'm running circuit after circuit around there trying to find the 1-3 nodes of Tin that spawn between shitloads of Iron that I couldn't mine and the occaisional Gold (which I also couldn't touch). Even some Mithril nodes out there. What the fuck?

There are also copper nodes in Desolace, in the satyr area.

Nobody on
    edited February 2008
    Nobody wrote: »
    See, that's retarded. Someone go to Blizzard HQ and have the employees line up for a face punchin'. Even the receptionist.

Especially the receptionist.

Halfmex on
    edited February 2008
    Copper, Iron and Mithril aren't too bad.

Even abandoned as they are, I find Thorium/Dark Iron (like 250+) kind of a pain in the ass.

Oooh, look! Rich Thorium! That'd be great... in 15 more points.

Forar on
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So, I'm saving my badges for the 2.4 Claws on my Rogue, sad thing though is they're going to be common as fuck. :(

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    Hi WoW chat thread.

I'm on it now, and it's been harder to get through than any ore that comes before it. I've been just levelling and questing as normal, mining whenever I see a node I can use, and it's brought me to this situation where I was 54 and ready to move on to WPL and then the 55+ zones, and was still at 215 mining.

Wow, I thought I was just sucking. My warlock is lv 54 and has 209 mining. I do NOT look forward to those last 91 points.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
    edited February 2008
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    So, I'm saving my badges for the 2.4 Claws on my Rogue, sad thing though is they're going to be common as fuck. :(
    Meh, not a big deal. It doesn't matter what anyone else has, and even if it did, you still can't see sheathed fist weapons on your character so you'd never know in the first place, heh.

Seriously, they need to show sheathed fist weapons. Y'know, now that there are more than seven of them in the game.

Halfmex on
  • TheEmergedTheEmerged Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    2 1/3 levels to Outland, 2 1/3 levels to Outland... Oh Frak, I need to grind dailies on my main so the alt can go into HFP with the +100% mount (unlike my poor main, that didn't get it until 66).

Also, word from the PTR is that about 1 of 10 of the reward bags for the Sunwell dailies will have a badge of justice. I may get my 3 nethers yet...

TheEmerged on
    Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Nobody wrote: »
    See, that's retarded. Someone go to Blizzard HQ and have the employees line up for a face punchin'. Even the receptionist.

Especially the receptionist.

I'll have to post screenshots sometime of my cartographer with the mineral tracking. Its hilarious the number of places where you'll see the odd out of place mithril, copper, etc.

If you really want, try looking up the nodes on wowhead and see where they have them listed at on the maps.

Nobody on
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Mithril-Rich Thorium stretch was so horrible. I'll never level another miner.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2008
    12 frigging nodes in Desolace, and the question remains..... why?

Seg on
    edited February 2008
    Our healer is so drunk right now. :P

Echo on
  • zagizagi Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I remember vaguely Badlands was good for that Iron/Mithril stretch, & I think I did Searing Gorge for the Mithril/Dark Iron/Small Thorium Vein stretch. Somewhere before lvl 60, I got stuck. Then there were Rich Thorium Veins taunting me the rest of the way, "J00 can't mine me HAHA". T_T

zagi on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Rich Thorium will be alot easier if most of the bugs in Slithius have been made non-elite.

815165 on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Rich Thorium will be alot easier if most of the bugs in Slithius have been made non-elite.
    They were made non-elite. So rejoice!

-SPI- on
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Zython wrote: »
    Septus wrote: »
    Hi WoW chat thread.

Wow, I thought I was just sucking. My warlock is lv 54 and has 209 mining. I do NOT look forward to those last 91 points.

Just kill yourself.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2008
    I just got up to 245. Those fucking 15 points of green mithril are like, a 70% chance at best of getting a skillup. Huuarlgh

Septus on
  • DefunkerDefunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So who wants to give me a 'scroll of resurrection'? You know, where I reactivate my account for free for 10 days, and you get a free month if I resubscribe.

C'mon. C'mon.

Defunker on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2008
    Me. Pm me your email.

Septus on
  • DefunkerDefunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hell, that was quick. Sent.

Defunker on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2008
    So, Burning Steppes for 245 mining? Or stick with Searing Gorge for a bit if the Steppes has too much Rich Thorium?

Septus on
This discussion has been closed.